HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 8:52 PM
Here we stAy

Those are awesome! Hopefully we'll keep seeing shots like these through the months. Love the shot inside the Woodland plant; to bad it's not a full on steel mill though. Last I heard we haven't had a real steel mill in the Sacramento area for some time.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 9:18 PM
Capricamento

I don't quite know where you would categorize this project, which is 'on hold', but the State of CA, West Side Project is not on the list.

http://www.westsideprojects.com

And while I'm on this doomsday path of bringing up dead projects, what about poor old Metro Place. Even though this has been dead for several years, and now has 225 flowers growing on its gravesite, it might still be a worthy mention of what could have been. And a worthy reminder of the pitfalls and risks of development.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 9:47 PM
Kodachrome

The west side should be given an honorable mention. Their last workshop
was one year ago and nothing is planned for the rest of this year. Last time
I called to see what was going to happen next I was told the project has been
put on hold indefinitely. I have not seen anything about it in the upcoming
state budget either. I think its several years off before the wheels are rolling
with this one again.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 10:00 PM
my posse's on broadway

I thought the cooling plant renovations were good to go? is that over budget as well?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 10:20 PM

Speaking of R street. Looks like the SoCap lofts are officially under construction at 5th + 6th and R. Looks like they are moving fast even though its been pouring.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
I thought the cooling plant renovations were good to go? is that over budget as well?
Last I heard it was frozen too. At least they got the EIR finished for both projects.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
Capricamento

Networking Mixer

If any of the local Sacramento area forumers are interested, there is an upcoming ULI Young Leaders Mixer at McCormick & Schmick's. I'm involved in the Urban Land Institute's Young Leader Group. It's for anyone involved with or interested in local land use issues (which all of you are) who are under age 35 (& it sounds like many of you fit that bill). This event is free to attend (buy your own drinks-sorry, no freeloaders), but other events do charge a reg. fee and usually provide food and drinks. Anyone of any age can join ULI, but you won't get the discounted dues unless you are a student or under 35. I've found it to be very informative and a great networking group.

Rather than creating a chain of responses, drop me a PM and I'll respond with the date and time. And yes, DTserge, you do need to be 21 to attend.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 1:12 AM
Here we stAy

Yeah, I think an "on hold" section should be made too. But the West Side and The Towers (temporarily until they start up again) in that section.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 2:21 AM
BUFF$LUT

dammit.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 2:32 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Let me know if I missed anything.
umm, what about that alhambra and T street proposal? that tiny abandoned gas station site or whatever.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:17 AM

I started my first picture thread in City Photos, I hope you guys can check it out and tell me what you think. I'm by no means a great photographer but I tried to capture the energy of Midtown and a little bit of downtown. I took a lot more pics than I posted and it was a painful process editing, I hope I did this city a little justice.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...26#post2660726

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:18 AM

Anyone else feel that? 4.2 based in Lafayette. A gentle, slightly nerve-wracking sway up here on the 14th floor...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:47 AM

I'm downtown and I didnt feel anything.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:22 AM

^Sactown Rob's Height exagerated the effect. In Sac, you'd probably have to be that high up to feel anything.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:26 AM

Buying time

By Darrell Smith - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PST Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Now on approach to Sacramento: a new outlet for Brooks Brothers, the longtime purveyor of buttoned-down style. But this new store won't be landing in any stylish downtown display window or in any suburban mall. Instead, the purveyor of fine suits and business attire will be opening in ... the airport.

Specifically, Terminal A at Sacramento International Airport.

It's part of the new frontier in retailing, as increasing numbers of upscale and big-name retailers -- from Swarovski to Harley-Davidson -- have set up shop in airport terminals.

Today, the nation's airports are looking decidedly more Rodeo Drive than runway: oxygen bars at Las Vegas' McCarran International, massage-and-facial spas at Pittsburgh International, Gucci and Sephora at San Francisco International.

It's a far cry from the airports of old, said Ann Ferraguto, principal of AirProjects Inc., an Alexandria, Va.-based airport concessions consulting group.

"You typically had a couple of cafeterias, news and gift stores and that was about it," Ferraguto said. "Now, there's specialty retail, different types of food. ... (It's) quadrupled from 20 years ago."

What's driving the upgrade? Retailing analyst George Whalin says it's the resurgence in travel as well as the captive market of affluent frequent fliers, whether they're headed for business or pleasure.

"You have captive consumers and things are beginning to settle down from 9/11," said Whalin, noting that airline passenger travel is up from nearly five years ago. And those passengers are not reluctant to spend money while idling in the airport. "There's the convenience of it all, particularly for hard-core travelers, (who are) often fairly affluent folks."

It's also due to what's called "dwell time" in the airport industry, those hours after the security check, before the flight or between connections when a passenger's options are to wait, work or spend time at the airport bar. And with increased airport security measures, passengers have to arrive earlier and wait longer.

"What airports are finding is that passengers ... have a lot more time on their hands," said Bobbi Passavanti, marketing director for The Paradies Shops, an Atlanta-based airport concession company that operates here and nationwide. "(Passengers) work or they wait. What other opportunities do they have? Shopping."

Pittsburgh International was an industry pioneer when it opened its so-called Airmall 15 years ago. Today, Pittsburgh has more than 100 shops and restaurants, including Johnston & Murphy men's clothiers, Nine West women's shoes and Victoria's Secret lingerie.

But lots of airports are now jumping aboard. And revenue is the reason, said AirProject's Ferraguto.

Terminal revenue -- retail, food and beverage -- made up just 19 percent of airports' non-aeronautical revenue in 2005, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Parking and auto rentals were the top two revenue generators in that non-airline category.

Although precise numbers were unavailable, several recent airport insiders have noted the potential for growing airport revenues from non-aeronautical sources.

"(Airport) management, developers, concessions, they're realizing that a lot of money is being left on the table." Ferraguto said.

At airport hubs like Denver and Detroit, airport officials are betting that people want more shopping opportunities.

Denver International Airport is opening The Landings at DIA, a planned 500-acre village that will feature a 150- to 200-room hotel and about 60,000 square feet of retail space for airport passengers and employees alike. In Detroit, airport officials plan to open a 5-acre, $5 million shopping center that includes restaurants, a car wash and dry cleaner.

After getting the nod from the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors earlier this month, Paradies plans to open the 1,000-square-foot Brooks Brothers outlet in late summer or early fall, said airport spokeswoman Karen Doron. Paradies also plans to add another Travelmart convenience store in Terminal B at the same time.

The company, which operates 500 retail outlets and newsstands in 63 U.S. and Canadian airports, will spend an estimated $730,000 to renovate the two new stores and spruce up its existing specialty shops.

Among the other upscale entrants to Sacramento's airport was the recent arrival of Vino Volo, a wine tasting bar and store that's also been uncorked by Taste Inc. in Seattle and Washington, D.C. airports.

Paradies, which operates 16 other airport-based Brooks Brothers outlets through an exclusive agreement with the New York-based clothier, believes the time is right for a Brooks Brothers in Sacramento's airport. "The traffic's increasing, the demographics are changing," said Passavanti, who grew up in the Sacramento area. "It's creating some nice competition. Sacramento has really transformed."

The airport store is a separate entity from the Brooks Brothers outlet in Folsom.

At Sacramento International, where more than 10 million passengers go through the gates annually, concessionaires took in nearly $10.5 million in gross retail sales during fiscal year 2005-2006, according to the Sacramento County Airport System.

Brooks Brothers' arrival at Sacramento's airport appeals to David Topp."I'm always in favor of more Brooks Brothers," said Topp, who said he works in government affairs. He said it always seems odd to find well-known brands inside an airport, but it makes sense when "people spend so much time traveling."

In an effort to appeal to airport shoppers, retailers are going for brighter, more open designs; restaurants with an emphasis on local, regional cuisines and higher quality goods, said Charles Chambers, senior vice president for security and economic affairs at Airports Council International-North America, a Washington, D.C.-based advocate for large airports.

"We're seeing more high-end (airport stores)," Chambers said. "The demographics of the traveler have changed a lot. The business traveler is interested in quality."

-----------------------------------------

Just interesting that some high-class retail is in the airport and not even in the metropolitan area [except Folsom]. I wish more stores like this could come to downtown!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
^Sactown Rob's Height exagerated the effect. In Sac, you'd probably have to be that high up to feel anything.
Well, that (hopefully) is a sensation you'll one day have, Brandon!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
I think you're right Brandon. We felt the Santa Rosa quake up here last summer, but no one else I talked to did. One of the, um, joys, of highrise living, I guess....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:51 AM

Does anyone know when the CTC is meeting to begin the process of allocating the tax money for mass transit?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:31 AM

DISGUSTING! DISGUSTING! DISGUSTING!

Quote:
Vineyard to sprout homes
A large suburban community is taking shape gradually in the fields of southern Sacramento County
By Ed Fletcher - Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:00 am PST Friday, March 2, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1
Stuart Helfand walks his property in the largely rural Vineyard community, an area that mostly missed the last housing boom, in part because of infrastructure needs. Density remains an issue, but Helfand - a member of the local planning council since 1979 - says developers should stick to the community plan. Sacramento Bee/Lezlie Sterling

Cows -- not cars -- are more likely to be found on the properties surrounding the intersection of Excelsior and Florin roads in the unincorporated area south of Sacramento.

Sacramento County officials, however, have been slowly clearing the way for a vast new suburban community with more than 20,000 homes, along with new parks, schools and shopping centers.

In recent years, 3,000 suburban-style homes have joined the ranches and large lots that dominate the area known by the county as the Vineyard.

The Vineyard has been in the works for more than 20 years. The first land-use plan for the 37-square-mile area south of Highway 16 and north of Calvine Road was approved in 1985. More detailed plans followed.

Now, individual subdivision designs within Vineyard Springs and North Vineyard Station go before the Board of Supervisors almost weekly.

Plans for the property around those two areas, commonly referred to as "the gap," are still under environmental review.

Developers hold the rights to build thousands of homes on 11.2 square miles targeted for housing, provided that needed new roads, drainage systems and water requirements are met.

The area largely missed the last housing boom, partly because of infrastructure needs. That isn't likely to recur the next time the market heats up.

County officials said they can't say when those homes will materialize. Market forces will have a lot to say about that.

But the development's design and density are criticized by some who say the building pattern now taking shape reflects old neighborhood design, not today's standards.

Peter Detwiler, who teaches a graduate course on state land-use policies at California State University, Sacramento, sees the pattern of development as an opportunity lost.

"It's more of the car-oriented sprawl development. It probably represents 1980s thinking," Detwiler said. "A quarter century later we think differently about land use."

While the area will have a mix of housing sizes and types, several Vineyard subdivisions will offer more elbow room compared to other developments under construction and in the pipeline. Whether that is a good thing is debatable.

Some, such as Detwiler, say it doesn't make sense to build half-acre and 1-acre lots so close to the urban core.

Supervisor Roger Dickinson said he voted against the plans for Vineyard Springs and North Vineyard Station.

"Personally, I think we made some very serious mistakes in planning," said Dickinson.

He said the street pattern forces people to use major thoroughfares to reach stores, schools or other amenities.

The pattern of development almost guarantees the area will not be served by light rail, despite the fact that unused train tracks cut diagonally through the area.

Regional Transit's master plan calls for a light-rail line along the Central California Traction Railroad -- although more recent plans never identified money or set a timetable for the line.

Future extensions will be one of the questions on the table as RT embarks on an update of its master plan, said Mike Wiley, RT's deputy general manager.

Approved plans for the Vineyard call for three to five units an acre around the train tracks.

To support a light-rail stop, Wiley said, lots of residences should be within walking distance -- 30 to 50 units an acre.

Board Chairman Don Nottoli said he thought the rail corridor might be more suitable for a dedicated bus line or a walking trail, not light rail.

He added that while the board has been wrestling with density issues, all in all the project is turning out "pretty well."

Stuart Helfand, who raises fowl on 4 acres there, has been a member of the local planning advisory group since it was formed in 1979.

He said he wouldn't have a problem with developers building smaller town homes at higher densities but objects to developers asking to add more single-family homes to subdivisions already starved for green space.

He said the old guard wasn't thrilled about growth in the first place, and now that there is a plan in place, developers should stick to it.

"The developers are coming in and saying they want to change everything. They want more density and we are saying no," Helfand said.

He said the current zoning was designed to gradually decrease density so new homes could blend in with existing residences.

"The Vineyard has always been a rural area," said Helfand. "We don't want to be a Marconi or an El Camino avenue."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 9:49 AM
Repeat!

Geez... traffic is already hell enough from Watt to Sunrise. The Vineyards really makes me wonder if the politicians approving these building plans actually drive in the area on a day-to-day basis.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area