HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Seaholm Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 12:23 AM
Meh

It seems they're still working on designs. This has to be the 4th design I've seen for the tower at Seaholm, and each time it's gotten taller.

Southwest

Seaholm Power LLC
http://seaholm.info/

Southeast

Northwest

More renderings

West/Southwest

Northwest plaza/base

Southwest plaza/base

Southeast plaza/base

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 4:28 AM
Meh

I was hoping that the power plant main building would be for a more public use such as the retail development they suggested originally. Having it be commercial office space is kind of disappointing.

This says they're wanting to break ground on new construction in July, which I guess also includes the 28-story apartment tower.

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...inglePage=true
Quote:
Council to weigh allowing Seaholm plant to be used for office space

By Sarah Coppola and Shonda Novak

Published: 10:32 p.m. Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Austin City Council on Thursday will consider significant changes to a plan to redevelop the Seaholm Power Plant including potentially allowing the historical building to be used for office space for a local company.

The revisions are being requested because Seaholm Power LLC, the team working to redevelop the site, is in "very serious negotiations" to lease the bulk of the decommissioned power plant to a local business, said John Rosato, managing partner for Seaholm Power LLC. Rosato declined to name the company.

In another change to its 2008 redevelopment deal with the city, the developer is asking the council to allow it to build apartments instead of condos, based on a heightened demand for rental housing downtown, where occupancy is nearing record levels.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:25 AM
Meh

Um, boo? I'm not really liking the idea of commercial office space in the old building. It should have had a more public use. And it's a shame that a company looking for 115,000 square feet didn't take space in an existing office tower. I would have liked to see them move into one of the office towers, or hold out for Cousins' planned Colorado & 3rd project.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
Council OKs offices at iconic Seaholm plant

By Sarah Coppola

Published: 10:04 p.m. Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Austin City Council OK'd changes Thursday to a 2008 redevelopment deal for the old Seaholm Power Plant, allowing developers to lease most of the iconic downtown building to a local company to use as office space for as long as 20 years.

Thanks to details added to the deal Thursday at the urging of Council Member Laura Morrison, parts of the 117,000-square-foot plant will still be open to the public. The developers will have to include:

■ 1,000 square feet on the ground floor for a publicly accessible display of the site's history and a coffee shop, juice bar or other public use;

■ 5,000 square feet for a restaurant, part of which overlooks the plant's grand turbine hall;

■ 1,000 square feet for a ground-floor art gallery managed by the City of Austin.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 8:00 AM
~Hook'em~

I can't really fault any company for jumping at that opportunity. It is a huge opportunity to have an office in an very cool spot.

I agree though, that I would have much rather seen them go elsewhere. Into one of the existing buildings or to have agreed to space in a new building that needs to secure financing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 8:12 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think we got a really nice compromise, so let's not look a gift horse in the mouth shall we?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 8:18 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
By the way, one major reason why I think they pushed - and were successful at pushing - for office space instead of retail was that they were the first of the major redevelopments in this quadrant of downtown and that the parcel is relatively isolated from the rest of the downtown shopping district and is not directly connected by street to any other major shopping destination yet. It would have been a major drag on the development until second street was extended with the Green development and was probably economically untenable because of that. Office just makes sense if this development was to move forward first. Retail would have made more sense if they were proceeding at the same time as or after Green.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:09 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...inglePage=true
Quote:
Downtown's skyline poised for a remake

By Shonda Novak

Updated: 12:07 a.m. Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Published: 10:45 p.m. Monday, June 11, 2012

Seaholm Power Plant redevelopment

Developer: Seaholm Power LLC

Stories: 28 in proposed apartment tower, plus a low-rise retail-office building and restored Seaholm structure

Capacity: 294 apartments, plus 130,00 square feet of office space and 50,000 square feet of retail and restaurants

Projected start: Late July

Projected completion: 2014

Cost: Undetermined

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
Meh

I got an email back today from someone with the City of Austin, he told me the apartment tower will be 314 feet tall. I'm asking him if he can send me the building elevation from the site plan elevation. He didn't say to what point on the building that height is. It could be slightly taller. There's also a mechanical penthouse/stair tower above the main roof.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:07 AM

Any word on the "problem" with the commission board regarding seaholm? Is this ever going to happen

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:17 AM
Meh

I'm wanting to get a more clear height from them, main roof height vs mechanical penthouse, so I'll ask them that tomorrow in my email. I haven't found much information about it on the city's planning review database, so who knows. Most of the files I've seen have had to do with demolition and clean up of the site, and very little about actual new construction plans. But, the fact that they did respond to me makes me feel confident that it will happen. Developers typically clam up about their projects when they're dead.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 4:43 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/business/ev...inglePage=true
Quote:
Evolution continues for Austin's skyline

By Shonda Novak

Published: 10:13 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012

6. Seaholm Power Plant redevelopment

Developer: Seaholm Power LLC

Stories: 28 in proposed apartment tower, plus a low-rise retail/office building and restored Seaholm structure

Units: 294 apartments; 130,00 square feet of office space; 50,000 feet of retail, restaurants

Projected start: late 2012

Projected completion: 2014

Cost: Undisclosed

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 10:38 PM

So I heard from a lil' birdie that Seaholm will begin official groundbreaking next month.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
So I heard from a lil' birdie that Seaholm will begin official groundbreaking next month.
Thank God.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:35 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

awesome news!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:49 AM

Still, I won't believe it til' I look out my window and see it! This time it seems like it's gonna happen.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:53 AM
Meh

They applied for a tower crane permit back in October.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10839508

In 2007, there was this file which says the main tower would be 393 feet tall. They were asking for a rezoning permit that would allow it to go from 120 feet to 393 feet. The last height I heard was 314 feet to the main roof. The final height is probably around 320/330 feet.
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10064150

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 4:31 PM

Trader Joe's to open at Seholm 2014

It seems Trader Joe's will open it second Austin location at Seaholm in 2014 after, according to the Statesman. So maybe the 'rumors' that construction will begin are true?

The express lane …

Trader Joe’s, a specialty grocer, will make its Austin debut this fall in the Shops at Mira Vista shopping center in Rollingwood. A second Trader Joe’s will follow in early 2014 at the Seaholm development in downtown Austin. Read our story at http://bit.ly/10VdOP7

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...resence/nWydR/

Last edited by Global; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
Meh

This also says Trader Joe's, a specialty retail grocer, will occupy a new lowrise retail building. In addition to that and the 117,000 square feet of office space in the original power plant building, will be a 30-story apartment tower to be delivered in 2015.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
Quote:
Apr 11, 2013, 2:52pm CDT
Seaholm project groundbreaking is imminent

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

The long wait for the Seaholm Power Plant project to begin construction appears to be over. Developer Southwest Strategies Group Inc. — which formed Seaholm Power Development LLC to oversee the office-residential-retail project — confirmed Thursday afternoon that the associated real estate transactions with the city of Austin will close Friday or Monday at the latest.

General contractor FlintCo LLC is on site — the power plant is in the southwest portion of downtown near Cesar Chavez Street and North Lamar Boulevard — and prepared to start work immediately, said John Rosato, managing partner of Seaholm Power Development.

Most of the 117,000-square-foot power plant will be leased to one office tenant. Rosato did not reveal who is planning to take the space but said the negotiations are concluding. Work will begin quickly to retrofit that space from a utility plant to office space.

The final component of the Seaholm project will be a 30-story apartment tower, which will be delivered in mid-2015, Rosato said.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:38 AM
Meh

This uses a different rendering than the Business Journal article, which I think was one from earlier in the project's history. This one seems to be the current one and matches those I posted above.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...-at-las/nXMzM/
Quote:
Posted: 6:55 p.m. Monday, April 15, 2013
Seaholm redevelopment ready to break ground at last

By Shonda Novak
American-Statesman Staff

It’s been several years coming, but redevelopment work is set to begin on Austin’s former Seaholm Power Plant site, with plans calling for a $100 million mixed-use project that will reinvigorate the area and add millions to the city’s tax base over coming decades.

The project on downtown’s western edge will include a 30-story tower with 309 apartments, a two-story building with a Trader Joe’s store, plus other retail, office and restaurant space.

The city is making a $13.6 million investment in street extensions and improvements, a public plaza and the main Seaholm building, said Fred Evins, the city’s project manager for the Seaholm redevelopment. The city will capture property and sales tax generated from Seaholm’s redevelopment to pay off the debt for its share of the investment.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 1:27 AM

These are the most up to date renderings:
http://www.seaholm.info/html/renderings.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive