HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Just catching up and surprised to see what appears to be a significant delay this project. Did a little digging and came across this.

Giant leak kills Manchester's grand-opening plans, by Matt Potter, https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...opening-plans/, @SDReader

That's some quality journalism there. The entire article is based off of comments in this very thread and a Statesman article. No attempt to confirm any of the second hand accounts posted here. I'm not discrediting any of the posters here, but anonymous posters on an online forum should never be treated as Gospel truth without at least making a few calls to back up the stories.

Last edited by corvairkeith; Dec 9, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
That's some quality journalism there. The entire article is based off of comments in this very thread and a Statesman article. No attempt to confirm any of the second hand accounts posted here. I'm not discrediting any of the posters here, but anonymous posters on an online forum should never be treated as Gospel truth without at least making a few calls to back up the stories.
Fake newwwwwwwws

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:53 PM

Terrible journalism. Deeply disappointed that our forum is being quoted as an official voice on something that it's very obviously not.

Last edited by We vs us; Dec 9, 2017 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 8:39 PM

😂🤣😂

Terrible "journalism," even by the standards of this day and age.

When you click on author's byline link, notice the "professional" portrait included in his bio page:

Quote:
🤔

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Terrible journalism. Deeply disappointed that our forum is being quoted as an official voice on something that it's very obviously not.
It would have been nice if the article had enough substance to shed some light on what really happened to delay the opening. But its still cool to see us getting some looks from outside the forum. I'm still taking credit for the JW all glass east wall. I photo shopped their terrible original render, made the wall all glass and posted it on the forum. We can and do influence some decisions I believe. And we are credible, most of the time. That doesn't excuse the author's laziness or inability to get the real scoop. Maybe he had a deadline to post anything and we were his only option to put words on paper.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 12:01 AM

That's about the third time that rag used SSP as a source to use against Manchester. In a previous "article" that slammed Manchester they actually credited comments to SSP user IDs. It's obvious what they are doing. The Reader is a Liberal blog and the father of the developer is a Conservative supporter. Politics again.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 PM
Meh

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:00 PM

Man, that guy's got the right idea. If I could just copy everything posted on here verbatim I'd be putting out five articles a day!

But don't worry, he probably hates himself for doing it as much as y'all do. You always, always know when you're a hack, at least deep down.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's about the third time that rag used SSP as a source to use against Manchester. In a previous "article" that slammed Manchester they actually credited comments to SSP user IDs. It's obvious what they are doing. The Reader is a Liberal blog and the father of the developer is a Conservative supporter. Politics again.
The father owns the San Diego Union Tribune, the main newspaper in San Diego. Papa Manchester supports lots of downtown San Diego development and a very conservative political agenda.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:03 PM

I like how this one finished out. Also, the Hilton is even starting to look nice.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The father owns the San Diego Union Tribune, the main newspaper in San Diego. Papa Manchester supports lots of downtown San Diego development and a very conservative political agenda.
He actually sold the Union Tribune in 2015.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 12:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

We should all just start saying great things about Manchester and the Fairmont. See if we get quoted then.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:16 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Fairmont actually does look better from this angle. The lights at the top and the spire make a huge difference. I'm also imagining what this will look like when the Waller Park Place lot eventually gets developed (hopefully with some height and could pedestrian activity), as well as the IHOP spot and the giant parking lot behind it. I'd even be okay with IHOP going on the bottom floor of a tower to keep a 24-hour restaurant there. The potential for that intersection (Cesar Chavez & Red River) is pretty high in my opinion, in spite of the CC having a fair amount of dead space on the street level.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I wish the Fairmont's lights at the top went all the way around. When I'm driving into town from the north, I hate seeing that gap in lights on the north side crown.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:30 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I wish the Fairmont's lights at the top went all the way around. When I'm driving into town from the north, I hate seeing that gap in lights on the north side crown.
Yeah, that makes sense. I haven't seen a view of it at night from the north.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Yeah, the mechanical penthouse gets in the way of it. If they had designed a mechanical screen on the north side of the building like they did on the south side they could have lit both sides, plus the ends.

Also, I am I going color blind or was it green tonight? I only caught a glimpse of it on the horizon on the way home.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, the mechanical penthouse gets in the way of it. If they had designed a mechanical screen on the north side of the building like they did on the south side they could have lit both sides, plus the ends.

Also, I am I going color blind or was it green tonight? I only caught a glimpse of it on the horizon on the way home.
Yep, it was green. Maybe they'll try a green/red combo for the holidays.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:46 PM

What's funny is that's going to be literally the view from the top floor of the new Marriott.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:26 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
What's funny is that's going to be literally the view from the top floor of the new Marriott.
Luckily the tower of the Fairmont is on the north side of its block. One of my favorite views of the Fairmont so far is the one looking down 2nd Street, particularly at Congress next to the JW Marriott.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:35 PM

Actually you're right . . . the Marriott's probably a block south in this view. So this is the view from a drone launched from the lawn deck of the unapproved Convention Center expansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin