HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Under the radar:

Someone's added 4 floors to the 4-story former industrial loft structure on this block. They are doing an all-out gut rehab. Pretty impressive.

I'm guessing it will be apartments. It's actually one of the taller buildings in Chinatown now.
Oh is that this building on the right? I took a picture of it a few weeks ago and then forgot about it. I imagine it's the one you mean though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Oh is that this building on the right? I took a picture of it a few weeks ago and then forgot about it. I imagine it's the one you mean?
That's the one.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
That's the one.
The one that looks like it's covered in some kind of netting?

Go back and get a better photo, josef!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
The one that looks like it's covered in some kind of netting?

Go back and get a better photo, josef!
Hahah.. maybe on my lunch break tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:00 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 5:03 PM

2021 Chestnut update thanks to Lincolndrive:

http://buildingphilly.com/1900-block-of-chestnut/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:09 PM

Ok, went to Chinatown to get a shot of the building being extended at 920-something Cherry Street. This'll make Philly Fan happy.

From 9th & Cherry:

From Arch Street:

Also, bonus content, I walked by Stupid Home2StupidSuites, and there're at least things in the bottom floor spaces that people are using. There were lots of people around/in the hotel, so, at least it's housing tourists?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, went to Chinatown to get a shot of the building being extended at 920-something Cherry Street. This'll make Philly Fan happy.
It does. You're a good man, and a memo to that effect has been placed in your personnel file.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:

Also, bonus content, I walked by Stupid Home2StupidSuites, and there're at least things in the bottom floor spaces that people are using. There were lots of people around/in the hotel, so, at least it's housing tourists?
Yeah - still ugly as all sin, but having businesses in the retail spaces improves the look somewhat...at least is isn't ugly and empty!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
Yeah - still ugly as all sin, but having businesses in the retail spaces improves the look somewhat...at least is isn't ugly and empty!
Agreed. Hopefully, when viewed from the street in its real-world context, it just kind of blends in and disappears (I haven't been by there recently to check it out). We tend to focus on the designs of these buildings in isolation (which is understandable when they're first proposed and built), but in the context of their streetscapes and when fully occupied with retail, etc., they're sometimes (frequently?) not as bad as they were in isolation. Not to excuse this horrendous design, by any means.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Hopefully, when viewed from the street in its real-world context, it just kind of blends in and disappears (I haven't been by there recently to check it out). We tend to focus on the designs of these buildings in isolation (which is understandable when they're first proposed and built), but in the context of their streetscapes and when fully occupied with retail, etc., they're sometimes (frequently?) not as bad as they were in isolation. Not to excuse this horrendous design, by any means.
It's corporate infill. I know why they do it but I just can't understand why someone would want to come into the city and try a chain establishment that you can get in the suburbs. The burger place is an expanding chain from Florida I believe and is not bad but not really great.

Overall it'll work well with the convention center but really does nothing to add to the area. It's kind of crazy that it's right next to the American Institute of Architects.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:36 PM

Interesting new proposal for more digital signage:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ty.html?page=2

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:48 PM

Quote:
It really does blend in. I had a friend visit who used to live in Philly. I pointed out that there was a building there now and he said "oh yeah, I didn't even realize anything was different." There are not very many places you can stand where the building dominates your view.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:09 PM

2021 Chestnut, the new 110 unit residential tower broke ground today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...use-tower.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
2021 Chestnut, the new 110 unit residential tower broke ground today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...use-tower.html
Compared to 1900 this building stands out in a positive way. But i'm just wondering, what constitutes a separate thread? Height, floor count, proposals only (no development started...many of these threads exist), caisson drilling (as Chicago page requires)....I'm trying to understand the Philly page's rhyme and reason as to when a thread gets started and the difference between development and general posts as things get posted multiple times (as well as in a separate thread)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koernerstr32 View Post
Compared to 1900 this building stands out in a positive way. But i'm just wondering, what constitutes a separate thread? Height, floor count, proposals only (no development started...many of these threads exist), caisson drilling (as Chicago page requires)....I'm trying to understand the Philly page's rhyme and reason as to when a thread gets started and the difference between development and general posts as things get posted multiple times (as well as in a separate thread)
Usually 12 floors or taller or if it isn't 12 floors, than at least 115 feet or taller constitutes it's own thread, but when I created a thread for this puppy the mods moved it here. So idk why this one isn't worthy of it's own thread.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:42 PM

I was so excited to see facade demolition or whatever being done at 15th & Chestnut I took this picture this morning.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:23 PM

Passing by Mormon Temple, it looks to be making nice progress with the better weather. I'll snap some shots next drive by.

I also notice some construct equipment/work going on over at the lot where the Condo/Apartments are suppose to go. Anyone have an update with whats going on?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Passing by Mormon Temple, it looks to be making nice progress with the better weather. I'll snap some shots next drive by.

I also notice some construct equipment/work going on over at the lot where the Condo/Apartments are suppose to go. Anyone have an update with whats going on?
If you look at the renderings from the apartment complex there's like a mini church right next to it in red brick. I'm assuming they can start on that while waiting to excavate or maybe they are building a part to be hoisted up on top the big church. I have no idea but those are my guesses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development