HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They removed they SkyCity thread?! What a bunch of hosers! Talk about censorship, my god. Clearly rubbed some people the wrong way down east.

I guess the truth was hurting Fortress and their chances. These threads tend to come up towards the top of a google search most times. Still comes up on page 2 of my Google search. But with no access. They should block the rest of the internet if they're worried about the SkyCity thread. A lot worse things out there about Jawad and Vince.
Haha... maybe Mady and Fortress lawyered up and got the Sky City Winnipeg thread taken down. You know, the thread in which some highly informed posters here pointed out the very real hazards to investors in this highly touted project.

Just so we're all clear on which project I'm talking about, it's Sky City Winnipeg. You know, Sky City Winnipeg at Graham and Garry, the big 55 storey job that Mady and Fortress are behind. Yeah, good old highly questionable Sky City Winnipeg. (Think that oughta be enough for Google's bots?)

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:22 PM

I'm all for SkyCity, no question there. But pretty obvious they lawyer'd up and got the thread taken down. Even though they were posting it on their Twitter feed a year ago! Saying to come here and chat about the project.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
I'm all for SkyCity, no question there. But pretty obvious they lawyer'd up and got the thread taken down. Even though they were posting it on their Twitter feed a year ago! Saying to come here and chat about the project.
Since this thread isn't needed anymore, why don't we use it to discuss SkyCity Winnipeg?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:05 PM

The last post I saw on the SkyCity thread was a poster suggesting they close the thread cause the last several pages had nothing of substance. Maybe a mod agreed?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The last post I saw on the SkyCity thread was a poster suggesting they close the thread cause the last several pages had nothing of substance. Maybe a mod agreed?
Not a bad idea to lock it, but given SkyCity is still beating the bushes for investors that thread might have been of interest to some.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:17 PM

Would they actually close a thread because someone complained? I've seen much worse than that in my short time on here!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Would they actually close a thread because someone complained? I've seen much worse than that in my short time on here!
I was a moderator at another forum before, and we did occasionally get angry letters including the odd one from lawyers threatening all kinds of terrible things if we didn't delete a certain thread. I learned that some people just set google alerts for their name or their company's name and fire off threats at things they don't like.

Those threats are a bit like some crazy drunk yelling and screaming in a bar... chances are they're full of it but really, what is to be gained by testing the theory? Better to just pull the thread and move on. Especially in this case since I'm sure the detailed analytical content of the SkyCity Centre Winnipeg thread was probably quite embarrassing for Mady and Fortress... they would probably be quite motivated to silence that discussion.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was a moderator at another forum before, and we did occasionally get angry letters including the odd one from lawyers threatening all kinds of terrible things if we didn't delete a certain thread. I learned that some people just set google alerts for their name or their company's name and fire off threats at things they don't like.

Those threats are a bit like some crazy drunk yelling and screaming in a bar... chances are they're full of it but really, what is to be gained by testing the theory? Better to just pull the thread and move on. Especially in this case since I'm sure the detailed analytical content of the SkyCity Centre Winnipeg thread was probably quite embarrassing for Mady and Fortress... they would probably be quite motivated to silence that discussion.
Instead of 20 people speculating about it, why doesn't someone just call the forum and ask? Isn't that possible?

1aJs said he shut it down in post #4146 here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...06715&page=208

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:49 PM

Figured someone would pipe up soon enough. Still haven't gotten an answer as to why though. Seems odd to shutdown a forum because people are talking about stuff directly related to the project and its current state.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Figured someone would pipe up soon enough. Still haven't gotten an answer as to why though. Seems odd to shutdown a forum because people are talking about stuff directly related to the project and its current state.
Perhaps we can start a new thread and see what happens? There's no ban on SkyCity Winnipeg as a discussion topic.

Although perhaps it might be wise to wait for actual tangible signs of progress before resurrecting the thread... a sales centre doesn't count either!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Perhaps we can start a new thread and see what happens? There's no ban on SkyCity Winnipeg as a discussion topic.

Although perhaps it might be wise to wait for actual tangible signs of progress before resurrecting the thread... a sales centre doesn't count either!
Come on they put all those millions into those fancy plywood billboards
That alone should bump them to full out construction started status,

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:16 PM

The irony of this thread is entertaining.

The discussion about a proposed project from a now non-existent thread taking place in a thread where the project has been cancelled.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 8:46 PM
Monumental

I heard the pump station team submitted another proposal to CV since CV the city and prov. did not achieve the parking requirement in time so they downsized the scheme to reflect the current amount of parking stalls on site. I also heard from several good sources that CV doesn't want a mix use proposal since they have an better offer to sell to a developer who wants it knocked down and remediated. here comes the wrecking ball

Last edited by Monumental; Sep 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental View Post
I also heard from several good sources that CV doesn't want a mix use proposal since they have an better offer to sell to a developer who wants it knocked down and remediated. here comes the wrecking ball
If this is this case in the end, so be it.

Remove and preserve what machinery they can and move it to another location.

I understand the type II heritage designation it holds and am a firm believer in the preservation and re-purposing of heritage buildings. But in this particular case, let's move on .

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM

So I wonder what impact the recent mantra chanted by the mayoral candidates will have on this?

Avoid demolition
Avoid demolition

one of us... one of us.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 9:26 PM

^ No change,status quo, with JWL elected as mayor very shortly.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:27 PM

I thought this was interesting: The "St. James Pump House" (old Dylan O'Connor's on Portage Ave) announced on their FB page in July that they were changing their name due to "legal reasons".

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
I thought this was interesting: The "St. James Pump House" (old Dylan O'Connor's on Portage Ave) announced on their FB page in July that they were changing their name due to "legal reasons".
Yeah, there's another 'Pumphouse' on the east coast. I presume they weren't interested in sharing...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:13 PM

There was another group touring the interior on Friday. Also, a pair of new mini-graffiti murals were added as part of Culture Days ( I assume??) on Saturday night.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 1:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

doubt will see anything of the friday tour but who knows hopefully it survives its a shame what our city did

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan