HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Any renders coming soon?
Just in case you missed anything, Chad, here are some of the latest ones (note it appears its going to be a whole makeover of the original building as well, not just a simple building attachment):

*all these images are from the Winnipeg Sun

some more from CBC

quoted from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...expansion.html

Quote:
Once completed, the expansion will make it the fourth-largest publicly owned convention centre in Canada, behind facilities in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

It should also include at least one high rise, iirc (most likely a hotel), though it may not be the original "on top of expansion" design as was previously shown in preliminary designs several years ago

Quote:
Lahr and government officials said the expansion is expected to trigger a number of other new downtown projects, including two new hotels adjacent to the convention centre.

One is believed to be a new $15-million, seven-storey, 108-room Lakeview Hotel that Winnipeg's Lakeview Management Inc. plans to build on a surface parking lot it owns immediately west of the existing convention centre.

But no one would reveal where the second hotel is likely to be built, or who is likely to build it. Lahr said that's up to the private sector but he'd like it to be connected to the convention centre via a skywalk and to have at least 250 to 300 rooms.

There has been speculation the other hotel might be built on the site of the Carleton Inn, north of the convention centre on Carleton Street. But Lahr said he doesn't know what sites are being considered.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...179242491.html

might even be a "third" hotel (Lakeview's second, potentially 15 storeys) depending on competition

*From the Free Press

Last edited by roccerfeller; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Yes I know but not what I was asking... Winnipeg is different city economically now than 10-20 years ago.... They need a Starwood Hotel, Marriott, Hyatt etc downtown..
Would be nice, but there are so many other hotel chains that I would rather see. There is not one reason we need to be like every other city in Canada lol. Plus I am not sure we want to saturate the downtown with Hotels, Hotels do not bring people downtown, all they do is come to the hotel, go to their convention, and back on a plane to where ever.
Having the Hotels at the Airport is just as good.

Plus I am pretty sure with the ones on the books and on the rise we will most likely be saturated. Look how the Humphry went from a name brand hotel to whatever it is now. I doubt they even filled half that thing on the best of nights.

I like the Office / Hotel / Condo idea use of buildings. Makes more sense in my eyes.

One thing I am not a fan of, is that we may not be getting the tower on top of the convention center, when you look at the aerial of it as it sits, and then imagine the other lot covered also, that is basically going to look like one huge parking lot 3-4 stories up and nothing breaking it up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Would be nice, but there are so many other hotel chains that I would rather see. There is not one reason we need to be like every other city in Canada lol.
The original point that was made by Pegger5 was that there is a reason why the hotels need to be like every other city - some tourists and business people stick with a particular chain for point/loyalty reasons.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The original point that was made by Pegger5 was that there is a reason why the hotels need to be like every other city - some tourists and business people stick with a particular chain for point/loyalty reasons.
Well one issue, the people using these are NOT going to be tourists as tourism MB does a horrid job of promoting our city and province.

I been to many cities here and in the USA, and one thing this city lacks big time, is the lower end hotels in the Burbs, whenever you drive into cities you expect to have a decent place to stay and not some $200 a night place. Yes we have a few, but not enough. I would hate to be a person from another province driving here. He would be looking for hours for the basic hotels.

And it is not like we do not have CHAIN hotels here. I believe you only need to drive around the airport to notice that. And even downtown. And if we needed chain hotels, why are we getting this ALT mammoth? Yes it is a chain, but not a very well known one.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
One thing I am not a fan of, is that we may not be getting the tower on top of the convention center, when you look at the aerial of it as it sits, and then imagine the other lot covered also, that is basically going to look like one huge parking lot 3-4 stories up and nothing breaking it up.
The hotel will definitely NOT be built on top of the WCC. It will be located on the site of the Carleton Hotel (if they can get everything finalized). Should be announced in the next month.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Hotels do not bring people downtown, all they do is come to the hotel, go to their convention, and back on a plane to where ever.
Convention goers need to eat and get bored in the evenings. Hotels are great for vitality compared to a similar sized condo or apartment.
Quote:
I would hate to be a person from another province driving here.
Fortunately Winnipeg is pretty far from major population centres. The market will bare what the market will bare. Last time I was in Winnipeg stayed in the Humphry Inn - was cheap and good. I am not sure what kind of hotel you are looking for, but $60 a night places - I am pretty sure it would go broke pretty fast. The time before was in a suburban hole, the Winnipeg Thriftlodge. The $15 dollars saved was not worth it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I been to many cities here and in the USA, and one thing this city lacks big time, is the lower end hotels in the Burbs, whenever you drive into cities you expect to have a decent place to stay and not some $200 a night place. Yes we have a few, but not enough. I would hate to be a person from another province driving here. He would be looking for hours for the basic hotels.
The west enterance to the city on the TransCanada is definitely setting better. There is long present Howard Johnson Express, the Super 8 built in the last couple of years and now the Best Western at the Flying J. With two more hotels proposed for phase 1 for Westport Festival and the former Super 8 property that is not currently flying a chain banner that would be six highly visible properties on the west side. Agreed though that east from the Transcanada and south along both major US routes could use some choices.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I never travel anywhere without prearranged accommodation. A few weddings, a big bowling tournament or such and all hotels can be full. Even when passing through one can save a hockey sock full of money and be more relaxed by pre-planning.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Convention goers need to eat and get bored in the evenings. Hotels are great for vitality compared to a similar sized condo or apartment.

Point is, they tend to STAY in the hotel. This does nothing for the city, it just puts money in the pockets of the big hotel chains. Where as a Condo, the people would have to go out and venture the mean streets of Winnipeg and spend their money there.

I am not saying no Hotels, I am saying to many is also not a good thing. Need a happy balance.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:01 PM

I am not sure where you get your impression that residents end up making more discretionairy purchasers than hotel users, but you are dead wrong.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I am not sure where you get your impression that residents end up making more discretionairy purchasers than hotel users, but you are dead wrong.
Agreed. I can count one one finger the number of times I've eaten in the hotel I was staying in when away on business.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Bluenote might stay holed up in his hotel when he visits other cities but normal people go out and see things.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Point is, they tend to STAY in the hotel. This does nothing for the city, it just puts money in the pockets of the big hotel chains. Where as a Condo, the people would have to go out and venture the mean streets of Winnipeg and spend their money there.

I am not saying no Hotels, I am saying to many is also not a good thing. Need a happy balance.
That is 100% ass backwards. Hotels (and associated restaurants) add way more activity than condos. Do you think the Las Vegas strip would have any activity if the buildings were condos?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:43 AM
Heart of the Continent

I sleep in the hotel. That's all I do there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:30 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The hotel will definitely NOT be built on top of the WCC. It will be located on the site of the Carleton Hotel (if they can get everything finalized). Should be announced in the next month.
or the next month or the next month or the next month.

wont be huge...maybe 17 stories.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:45 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Bluenote might stay holed up in his hotel when he visits other cities but normal people go out and see things.
Easy, Bluenote may be a young un that is just contributing what he thinks is correct. He is a terrific contributor here.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:34 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I sleep in the hotel. That's all I do there.
I feel sorry for you.

And I agree with most here... An active hotel provides a lot more dollars to businesses than residents. I don't know if the convention centre expansion alone will bring people into the city though. I have read that the number of convention goers has been dropping in recent years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

No gf ...sucks haha. I would say that if Winnipeg could get some better conventions, they could get more convention goers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I have read that the number of convention goers has been dropping in recent years.
I've read this several places as well and not just Winnipeg. Why is the convention centre being expanded?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I have read that the number of convention goers has been dropping in recent years.
I have heard the opposite.

With more and more businesspeople working from home or in smaller remote offices the convention has become a great tool for networking with clients and other businesses.

Going are the days of huge head offices filled with salespeople that are constantly traveling out from there. Instead you have the country littered with regional salespeople handling their local clients and telecommuting into their head offices.

While numbers conference attendance dropped during the crash of 2008-2009, things appear to be stronger than ever now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan