HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:41 PM

^ I wonder if 363 Broadway will link up by skywalk to the convention centre? If so, that would be the first skywalk connection to Broadway... it would really expand the network's footprint.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know I'm venturing off topic here, but that first pic reminds me that it would be great if the remand centre, which is by all accounts bursting at the seams, could be replaced with something bigger and newer as they did in Edmonton:

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/program...nd_centre.aspx

It would be nice if the existing remand centre could then be repurposed in a way that adds a little more activity to the area.
Was there some talk about expanding the current facility in the future?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The remand centre was put where it was so criminals could be walked to the court buildings. There is no better place for it.

The criminal element is a large and important part of Winnipeg's culture. It is insensitive of you to suggest they move to the suburbs.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
^ I wonder if 363 Broadway will link up by skywalk to the convention centre? If so, that would be the first skywalk connection to Broadway... it would really expand the network's footprint.
I don't believe it was mentioned in the released plans that we've seen. It would be a nice connection if it was being considered.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The remand centre was put where it was so criminals could be walked to the court buildings. There is no better place for it.

The criminal element is a large and important part of Winnipeg's culture. It is insensitive of you to suggest they move to the suburbs.
Haha... maybe a little time in the sunshine and fresh air of East St. Paul would do them some good?

It is logical to put it by the courts, for sure... but in Alberta they saw the merits of putting it out of town to allow for future expansion and presumably increased security.

Winnipeg's remand centre opened in the mid 90s before gang crime really got out of hand... I'm not sure it's up to the job anymore based on what I've heard. Might be best suited for holding people on their actual hearing/trial dates.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Might be best suited for holding people on their actual hearing/trial dates.
That is exactly what it is used for. Or at least that is its intended use.

The Edmonchuck remand is more like Headingly. I suspect that because Headingly is so crammed they are holding convicts at the remand centre now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:

The Edmonchuck remand is more like Headingly. I suspect that because Headingly is so crammed they are holding convicts at the remand centre now.
Anyone who knows for sure can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WRC is being used to hold accuseds awaiting trial... that wait can literally take years in some cases. With a couple hundred long-term guests the place fills up in a hurry. If there are actually convicts serving sentences in there, that's certainly news to me... I didn't think the WRC had room enough for people on remand, let alone spillover from Headingley.

Maybe the way to go is to build a remand unit at Headingley... might lead to some efficiencies having two big facilities like that side by side. At some point something will have to give with the WRC because it is absolutely jammed far beyond what it was designed for.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone who knows for sure can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WRC is being used to hold accuseds awaiting trial... that wait can literally take years in some cases. With a couple hundred long-term guests the place fills up in a hurry. If there are actually convicts serving sentences in there, that's certainly news to me... I didn't think the WRC had room enough for people on remand, let alone spillover from Headingley.

Maybe the way to go is to build a remand unit at Headingley... might lead to some efficiencies having two big facilities like that side by side. At some point something will have to give with the WRC because it is absolutely jammed far beyond what it was designed for.
The uses/stats are covered here when it comes to inmate population, with a comparison to other provinces.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../11440-eng.htm

Yes, I'm veering of topic.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:

The opposite is true. Headingley is crammed because it is holding WRC overflow because it takes so long to go to trial.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^ Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Headingly has always been overloaded. The woman's correctional building in headingly is a good example of what they do need to build for overflow. Or just build on atop Brady landfill. The stink would be a good punishment

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Or just build on atop Brady landfill. The stink would be a good punishment
The inmates at South Pointe correctional facility would agree I'm sure...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:24 PM

Sept.29

Source

She's coming together, that sky walk and the exterior are flying along.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:42 PM

If you want an interesting perspective on this project, try walking west on York Avenue. The building really looms over the street... it's impressive.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
If you want an interesting perspective on this project, try walking west on York Avenue. The building really looms over the street... it's impressive.
I agree. This webcam view is not the best in taking in the whole project.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 8:14 PM

I was downtown last week paying for something, ahem thanks WPS, and I have to say it is rather impressing. Seems like the part over York cantilevers way outside the existing footprint onto Carlton. May have just been my perspective looking from Hargrave. But looks good.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 5:12 AM

geez that looks massive

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 AM

Anyone know if they'll be redoing the existing part of the building to match the new half... renders don't show too much. Realistically the top half (silver) still looks fine but the lower street-level portion looks really dated.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Anyone know if they'll be redoing the existing part of the building to match the new half... renders don't show too much. Realistically the top half (silver) still looks fine but the lower street-level portion looks really dated.
The older portion was just recently reclad. The new portion will match the existing cladding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 11:11 PM

That's going up fast. Maybe they will finish it early.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan