HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 1:43 AM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
^ pretty accurate statement. still plenty of room for improvement though, we really don't know what this building looks like yet. the "accessories" haven't been revealed we are just dealing with a rather meh core at the moment
Ummmmm....the meh at the moment is the finished product as some windows are already in. Looks aweful now and will look worse once the heavy pigment fades out of the darker of the two stucco colours. If the consultant was going for the bombed out looked...they achieved it.
I don't need to wait to see anymore before I give it the thumbs down

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
Ummmmm....the meh at the moment is the finished product as some windows are already in. Looks aweful now and will look worse once the heavy pigment fades out of the darker of the two stucco colours. If the consultant was going for the bombed out looked...they achieved it.
I don't need to wait to see anymore before I give it the thumbs down
Agree,,,,,

They should have stopped building at the podium. That's the only part that looks ok , that ugly cheap stucco tower looks more suited to a motel 6 on the hwy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:36 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...ce=d-top-story

Construction worker injured in downtown accident
Posted: 12:23 PM

One downtown construction worker was taken to hospital after jack hammering into some still-energized hydro lines this morning.

The man, who was working at the Glasshouse condo building, was conscious and talking to emergency workers before being taken away in an ambulance.

The worksite has been temporarily shut down until Workplace Safety officials arrive to assess the situation.

Hargrave Street between Portage and Ellice avenues had been closed off previously for the workers and had nothing to do with the accident.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

musta been an unmaped line that was not in the curent city maps... witch theres allot of stuff in use thats not mapped...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:17 PM

Effects were felt as far as south Transcona.

Was having coffee at the Tim's on Dugald Rd in the industrial park and it lost power for a few minutes around that time. Traffic signals at Terricon Pl and Dugald were dead after the power came back, but not the ones @ Dugald and 59.

I believe that the Dawson Road Hydro station (services the industrial park) is tied in to the one on Pacific behind the Concert Hall, and then onto King St Station so there is probably a ripple effect when something like that happens.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
musta been an unmaped line that was not in the curent city maps... witch theres allot of stuff in use thats not mapped...
1pm news said it was work being done in the manhole by a private contractor to remove asbestos.

Manitoba Hydro has had a private contractor doing this for the last few years as part of their workplace health and safety program according to stuff filed to the PUB with their rate increase request.

There are a lot of old lead covered cables underground and as long as they are not touched they are OK. When moved the insulation breaks down and the result is an arc flash.

Toronto Hydro has has a lot of the same problem in the last few years with the PLIC style cable, and in one part of Toronto is spending a few million to change out the cables because each failure screws up the connections to Ontario Hydro.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:55 PM

More pictures

I've been away for a few weeks, but here are a couple of pictures from this week.

The GlassHouse site isn't that interesting from my vantage point yet.

It looks like they are finished craning in the major components of the parkade.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:01 PM

^ Nice pics. The floorplate of the office component looks quite large... perhaps not as big as Hydro or Air Canada, but it looks like it must on the same scale as something like 360 Main. It could have easily been a 10 storey office component with a slightly smaller floorplate, but this type of layout seems to be in demand these days.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:58 PM

For all of you Negative Nellys bitching about how horrible the alt tower is, take a look at kent's second picture! A large number of windows are in and it is already is making a significant difference in "livening up" the building. You wait until every last window is in, plus the logos/signage and the giant flashy yellow fin thing, and we've a whole new ball game. All this complaining is unwarranted and getting pretty old.. Just sayin'

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzookz View Post
For all of you Negative Nellys bitching about how horrible the alt tower is, take a look at kent's second picture! A large number of windows are in and it is already is making a significant difference in "livening up" the building. You wait until every last window is in, plus the logos/signage and the giant flashy yellow fin thing, and we've a whole new ball game. All this complaining is unwarranted and getting pretty old.. Just sayin'
I think most people here have been quite charitable with regards to the design of the alt tower- there are at most a handful of people who've been "bitching about how horrible the alt tower is". Relax.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
I think most people here have been quite charitable with regards to the design of the alt tower- there are at most a handful of people who've been "bitching about how horrible the alt tower is". Relax.
It will look good for the 5 minutes of the day that the sun is at the right angle to give that reflection on the windows.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:47 AM

I know, it's still not finished. There are still a few more components to be added from what I understand. The windows are an improvement.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
The windows are an improvement.
The likeability factor of this building has improved for me with the addition of some windows. The staggered placement in their installation is definitely a plus.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:58 AM

Tower crane base was delivered today.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
Tower crane base was delivered today.
Awesome. Looking forward to this one.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
The building looks like crap any way you look at it, of course since so little is built here even a piece of crap is not something to be sneezed at!

Here's what the building reminds me of:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

still better then the vinal siding tower that went up in the village 6 or 7 years ago

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 5:26 AM
Source?

^ rrskylar........ You just made that building super awesome... its my new fav building! lol

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

...da..da..da..daa..da,da..daa..da,da.....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Glass House has a new render on their Twitter feed. I'm not smart enough to know how to post it here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan