HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Unfortunately, I just booked a flight a couple of weeks ago to Cabo and back in the winter on United. The flight down was one stop in Denver, but the only way back with one stop was through Chicago. It was perfect for us. A little father to fly, but a decent day of flying in the end. I found out about this on Monday on a different forum. Checked our confirmation on United, and they still having us flying to Chicago, but then they fly us to Denver, and then home. The funny thing is they have us landing in Chicago at 6:24 pm, but our flight to Denver leaves at 5:05. An hour and 20 minutes before we land in Chicago. Haven't contacted them yet as we are trying to find the best option to get home, but it looks like it will be one hellacious day to get home with two stops, one in Houston, and then one in Calgary. Ugh!
Robag, I find that when flights get changed due to schedule/route issues, United will typically bend over backwards to accommodate you. I have ended up with better flights than the ones I was originally supposed to have in circumstances like these... the flights you have been given are not necessarily the ones that you are stuck with (well, not that you could take those flights in this case, but in any event...)

Play around with United's website and see if there are better flights for your travel date. Once you have one or two in mind with available space, call United and ask them to rebook you on it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:59 PM

Too bad about United cutting the Chicago route. I thought it was convenient for flying to points east. I've used ORD to connect to Newark and (just this past spring) Harrisburg. I also finally visited the Windy City itself a few years ago, that was an awesome trip. Prior to that, flying to Chicago via MSP on Delta was both inconvenient and costly, so I never went.

I use DEN with some frequency also, mainly for getting to Palm Springs but also lately to visit a good friend who lives in Oregon. Hope United doesn't cut that route (the city my friend lives in is smaller than Regina).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Robag, I find that when flights get changed due to schedule/route issues, United will typically bend over backwards to accommodate you. I have ended up with better flights than the ones I was originally supposed to have in circumstances like these... the flights you have been given are not necessarily the ones that you are stuck with (well, not that you could take those flights in this case, but in any event...)

Play around with United's website and see if there are better flights for your travel date. Once you have one or two in mind with available space, call United and ask them to rebook you on it.
I'm a bit of a travel nut, and research the airlines quite a bit. Trust me, I've done all the searching on United. I also contacted United, but have not changed my flights yet, as we are traveling with another couple and we want to explore all options before changing them.

There is absolutely no one stop on the day we are planning on flying home. If we wait two days, we can get the one stop back through Denver, but that is adding to what will already be an expensive trip. We may still do that, but the only thing that gets us home in one day means 2 stops in Houston and Calgary, and close to 14 hours of travel. Not my ideal way of getting home.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Too bad about United cutting the Chicago route. I thought it was convenient for flying to points east. I've used ORD to connect to Newark and (just this past spring) Harrisburg. I also finally visited the Windy City itself a few years ago, that was an awesome trip. Prior to that, flying to Chicago via MSP on Delta was both inconvenient and costly, so I never went.

I use DEN with some frequency also, mainly for getting to Palm Springs but also lately to visit a good friend who lives in Oregon. Hope United doesn't cut that route (the city my friend lives in is smaller than Regina).
I think part of it may be the move by the airlines to start phase out the 50 seater jets and move to larger aircraft.

What is going to be interested in what happens with WestJet flights once the US Airlines and American Airlines merger is complete. You may see more connections occurring in Palm Springs and Las Vegas.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:57 AM

I heard that Southwest will be flying into Canada "soon."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I heard that Southwest will be flying into Canada "soon."
I heard that as well, but I also heard that when they go into a new market, they only go if they can fly to 5 existing markets right off the hop. They want to make it worth their money to start up operations in a new market. Because of that, YYZ might be the only market that would work. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it would make sense for Southwest to start up operations in Canada at all.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
I heard that as well, but I also heard that when they go into a new market, they only go if they can fly to 5 existing markets right off the hop. They want to make it worth their money to start up operations in a new market. Because of that, YYZ might be the only market that would work. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it would make sense for Southwest to start up operations in Canada at all.
Ya, it's supposed to be the usual Vancouver; Calgary; Toronto; Montreal thing. Well, I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think part of it may be the move by the airlines to start phase out the 50 seater jets and move to larger aircraft.

What is going to be interested in what happens with WestJet flights once the US Airlines and American Airlines merger is complete. You may see more connections occurring in Palm Springs and Las Vegas.
They are phasing out the 50 seaters, but that will take some time. As they do that, they are changing where the 50 seaters are flying. Because of that, we lose the Chicago flights even though they were probably over 80% full. For United, they shift the flights to other markets that make more use out of those aircraft. It does sound like the Regina airport authority is looking at other options. American Airlines for instance has a hub in Chicago as well. Maybe they will try and woo them here.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:03 PM

If the airlines are phasing out 50-seaters, how do they plan to serve regional markets? Larger aircraft but less frequency?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
If the airlines are phasing out 50-seaters, how do they plan to serve regional markets? Larger aircraft but less frequency?
That's why you see Air Canada now flying the Q400 prop planes between here and Calgary. Slower aircraft, but much more fuel efficient plus seats 28 people more than a CRJ 100/200. AC Express has retired their oldest CRJ 100/200 aircraft over the last couple of years.

United and Delta and their regional partners are in the process of replacing the 50 seat aircraft with larger 70+ seat aircraft that are way more fuel efficient. They have purchased E170 and larger CRJ 700 and 900 aircraft. Hard to say if we will lose frequency as they replace the 50 seat aircraft. But at the same time, it will take them 5 to 10 years to remove all of those aircraft.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
That's why you see Air Canada now flying the Q400 prop planes between here and Calgary. Slower aircraft, but much more fuel efficient plus seats 28 people more than a CRJ 100/200. AC Express has retired their oldest CRJ 100/200 aircraft over the last couple of years.

United and Delta and their regional partners are in the process of replacing the 50 seat aircraft with larger 70+ seat aircraft that are way more fuel efficient. They have purchased E170 and larger CRJ 700 and 900 aircraft. Hard to say if we will lose frequency as they replace the 50 seat aircraft. But at the same time, it will take them 5 to 10 years to remove all of those aircraft.
Switching to the Q400 turbo prop only adds 5-10 minutes to the flight between Saskatoon and Calgary. Both WestJet and Air Canada keep adding Q400s.

Delta manages to operate an aircraft in the 70-75 passenger range jet between Saskatoon and MSP. Likely to eventually see the flight to Denver also go to a 75 seater.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Switching to the Q400 turbo prop only adds 5-10 minutes to the flight between Saskatoon and Calgary. Both WestJet and Air Canada keep adding Q400s.

Delta manages to operate an aircraft in the 70-75 passenger range jet between Saskatoon and MSP. Likely to eventually see the flight to Denver also go to a 75 seater.
The Q400 is a perfectly pleasant plane to ride. I haven't been on one ex-YQR yet but I've flown them between YYZ and YFC and quite enjoyed them.

As for Delta, I notice they've pared back the YQR-MSP service to one flight a day from two - not sure when that happened. I've been researching potential flights YQR-LHR / CDG-YQR for next spring and routing through MSP is not practical (10-plus-hour layovers due to the one early morning flight a day) and losing ORD makes flying United more of a chore, too. DEN is a great airport for US connections but not for overseas ones.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The Q400 is a perfectly pleasant plane to ride. I haven't been on one ex-YQR yet but I've flown them between YYZ and YFC and quite enjoyed them.

As for Delta, I notice they've pared back the YQR-MSP service to one flight a day from two - not sure when that happened. I've been researching potential flights YQR-LHR / CDG-YQR for next spring and routing through MSP is not practical (10-plus-hour layovers due to the one early morning flight a day) and losing ORD makes flying United more of a chore, too. DEN is a great airport for US connections but not for overseas ones.
I don't believe Delta (Skywest) has cut back on the YQR-MSP flights. I just checked FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/airport/CYQR) and there was a flight to MSP (SKW4543) that departed at 6:20 am while there is another flight that is scheduled to depart YQR at 1:20 pm (SKW4490)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I don't believe Delta (Skywest) has cut back on the YQR-MSP flights. I just checked FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/airport/CYQR) and there was a flight to MSP (SKW4543) that departed at 6:20 am while there is another flight that is scheduled to depart YQR at 1:20 pm (SKW4490)
They do have some days that there is only one flight, and others that they still have two. They may change to a more permanent 2 a day once the ORD flight is gone at the end of October.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
They do have some days that there is only one flight, and others that they still have two. They may change to a more permanent 2 a day once the ORD flight is gone at the end of October.
A good search tool to use is: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

You can't do the booking with it, so you still have to go to a travel agent or another site but it is good at finding combinations that work.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:09 AM
ConstructionPete

YXE Phase II Photo Update

All Photos Courtesy of YXE Facebook Page

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Anyone know when the city of Regina will finally have Transit service to the terminal building?
Ok, as promised. Uh, transit services to the airport are to be "the next transit service when Regina Transit expands its routes."

That basically means the city doesn't care about any airport-related transit service. Regina is the only city without transit service. ( . . . and CYQR possesses 8% of Regina's GDP.)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:24 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Ok, as promised. Uh, transit services to the airport are to be "the next transit service when Regina Transit expands its routes."

That basically means the city doesn't care about any airport-related transit service. Regina is the only city without transit service. ( . . . and CYQR possesses 8% of Regina's GDP.)
Wouldn't be surprised if the taxis were pushing against bus service...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the taxis were pushing against bus service...
The buses are for the workers rather than the passengers.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:19 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The buses are for the workers rather than the passengers.
It would eat into the passengers too though. The only option now is to take a cab or get family/friends to take you/pick you up. With the monopoly like that, taxi usage/income only has one way to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan