HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 1:18 AM

Any update on the Clermont since the rezoning in August? Blondie to be designated a protected landmark? What's the timeline?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:56 AM

Downtown Aloft hotel

The former Days Inn conversion to Aloft hotel is coming along

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:14 PM

I signed up for email updates for 7th Midtown a while back and just got an invitation to talk to salespeople today. The email says there are 21 luxury units and penthouses, "starting from the high $600s." I am really curious what it is going to be about this building that justifies the cost. I imagine a lot of it will be the large sq ft of the units but I would think there is something more to it too. IIRC from reading a previous story construction was contingent upon pre-selling something like 75% of the units, so basically 15 of them will have to be sold before they start. I'm extremely skeptical there is that kind of demand. We shall see though.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
I signed up for email updates for 7th Midtown a while back and just got an invitation to talk to salespeople today. The email says there are 21 luxury units and penthouses, "starting from the high $600s." I am really curious what it is going to be about this building that justifies the cost. I imagine a lot of it will be the large sq ft of the units but I would think there is something more to it too. IIRC from reading a previous story construction was contingent upon pre-selling something like 75% of the units, so basically 15 of them will have to be sold before they start. I'm extremely skeptical there is that kind of demand. We shall see though.
Actually there is more demand than you think for condos in this price segment.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...be-far-off.php

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:19 PM

AMLI Buys former Trump Tower site

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...wers-site.html

Quote:
The site once planned as Trump Towers Atlanta is looking more likely to become another Midtown high-rise apartment project.

AMLI Residential bought the nearly 1.8-acre site at 15th and West Peachtree Streets from General Electric Credit Equities Inc., according to Fulton County records. The price: $7 million.

How long it takes AMLI to move forward with its project is unclear. Atlanta-based executives with the company haven't been willing to talk about it. Contractors, though, were recently pricing a project on the site that could range from 20 to 30 stories.

The proposal may soon come before the Midtown Development Review Committee, according to people with knowledge of the plans.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:02 PM

^Thanks smArTaLlone! I appreciate all of your recent informative posts and pictures. Keep it up!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:26 AM

The 7th Midtown project will have their parking in the viewpoint garage. They will use the viewpoint amenities level, pool, party room and gym. Their pricing is being based on size and quiality level of their units interiors. The developer owns the retail level of Viepoint so that will be upgraded and the pubic parking deck at Veiwpoint. They are currently reworking the retail facade. The area where the Skyhouse @ 6th and Juniper trailors are parked on 6th st. will be surface parking and a landscaped area. The monumental wall of Veiwpoint behind it will have the block wall removed from the first floor and storefront put in it's place. They are marketing to grocery stores. On 7th and P'tree Starbucks will return to its corner in the new building. Surface parking is proposed behind the new building. I also believe the same developer owns the parking lot accross 7th street next to Bull Dogs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:22 AM

Thanks shivtim!

This would be Amli's first highrise in Atlanta so I was wondering if they have done any elsewhere and it looks like they've developed a few of them.

Austin - Looks a little Novare-ish minus the exposed concrete but the street level looks quite nice.

Chicago

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:28 PM

Midtown DRC Agenda for Dec 10, 2013

NEW APPLICATION: 1301 Peachtree Street (One Museum Place)
Project Type: New construction of a 5-story condominium project fronting Peachtree Street and containing 48 luxury residential units. The condos will be located in two buildings organized around an internal courtyard. Communal spaces for the fitness center and owner’s lounge will be located on the ground floor with direct pedestrian access to Peachtree Street. The building method is stick-frame construction above a level of parking which is below grade along the Peachtree frontage.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:39 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
NEW APPLICATION: 1301 Peachtree Street (One Museum Place)
Project Type: New construction of a 5-story condominium project fronting Peachtree Street and containing 48 luxury residential units. The condos will be located in two buildings organized around an internal courtyard. Communal spaces for the fitness center and owner’s lounge will be located on the ground floor with direct pedestrian access to Peachtree Street. The building method is stick-frame construction above a level of parking which is below grade along the Peachtree frontage.

REALLY!?!?! WTF... We lose out on One Museum Place and get this 5-story crap!?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 1:24 AM

Museum Place

I certainly hope this 5 story condo is rejected outright - what a travesty of a premier site. I would rather have this stay a vacant lot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 2:08 AM

That may be the best thing for the market right now. Forty luxury condos is nothing to sneeze at!

Frankly we need more midrise infill. And of course it can be redeveloped as market conditions change.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
REALLY!?!?! WTF... We lose out on One Museum Place and get this 5-story crap!?
Although not that tall, I've heard rumors that this is actually going to be a very nice development... every unit is supposedly going to have a private elevator with access to the garage below and I think I heard that the architect for the project is Mack Scogin Merrill Elam. If this is true, than I think this will be without a doubt a very modern and well designed development. Don't get me wrong, I was thrown by the "stick built construction" part of that update, but the fact that its next to ansley park and across from the high museum means this will more than likely be a high quality development with some very expensive units.

http://http://msmearch.com/projects

Last edited by L.ARCH; Dec 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 1:27 PM

Luxury or not, is not the issue here. This site was headed for a possible new and major gallery for art and a substantial residential mid-to high rise building. In my view a five story residence does not cut it. In addition, such a structure does not seem to fit architecturally into that spot and it will leave the area dead for pedestrian traffic - a few luxury tenants will not be spending time walking around the area. In any case, a negatice outcome for a prime site.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Luxury or not, is not the issue here. This site was headed for a possible new and major gallery for art and a substantial residential mid-to high rise building. In my view a five story residence does not cut it. In addition, such a structure does not seem to fit architecturally into that spot and it will leave the area dead for pedestrian traffic - a few luxury tenants will not be spending time walking around the area. In any case, a negatice outcome for a prime site.
You can't kill a project just because it's not tall enough. Retail would be nice, but Mack Merrill does some exceptionally nice work IMO, so I'm just happy that it's likely to be an architectural statement piece on a block that is shaping up to have some pretty good work along with the new(ish) Perkins + Will offices.

The new owner paid $7.85 million in 2012. After the last owner bought it for $17 million(!) in 2007. I wish I had the cash and the foresight to go on a real estate shopping spree back in 2010...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM

It is not just the height, it is the lack of any activeness in an area that should build on the new MODA, the High and Woodruff. A luxury residential building does not create any street activity, especially one that small. one had hoped for store front shops, an art gallery(ies), a restaurant or two, and a residential-hotel of substance that would create some liveliness in that block so that when people are going to or coming out of the Alliance, High or ASO they would have a place to congregate, eat, look, etc. A five story luxury residence there is simply dead, dead, dead. This is a real loss for the area.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It is not just the height, it is the lack of any activeness in an area that should build on the new MODA, the High and Woodruff. A luxury residential building does not create any street activity, especially one that small. one had hoped for store front shops, an art gallery(ies), a restaurant or two, and a residential-hotel of substance that would create some liveliness in that block so that when people are going to or coming out of the Alliance, High or ASO they would have a place to congregate, eat, look, etc. A five story luxury residence there is simply dead, dead, dead. This is a real loss for the area.
Don't you feel a midrise or highrise is out of scale for that stretch of Peachtree? I think projects of that scale should be reserved for the areas south of 14th Street or anywhere on W. Peachtree and Spring.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
One could also argue that a really modern and well designed 5 story development that would better compliment the massing and height of the woodruff and high museum would actually make the development feel more integrated with its surroundings and (at least visually) would make it seem as if it were actually a part of the arts campus instead of just looming over it.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment concerning the lack of any mention of a more public component to the development (like a gallery or retail space) but we've only really heard a 3 sentance description of the project from a DRC presentation schedule, so I say let's wait and see what they are proposing before we bash it. You are right, it could be horrible, but it could also be great. Let's see what they say on the 10th.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:32 PM

To Larch and Atlanta3000

You have good points; I have to get over my initial shock at this downsizing. I don't think a midrise is out of place there at all, perhaps a 40 story building would be, but the Residence Inn is 20 or so floors and the office buildings in that area, particularly Perkins and Wills, present office fronts of several stories - and office buildings have higher floors - and give the impression of bulk and height. plus there is a continuation of height extending along that side of Peachtree from 5th up to I-85. As I have said, my major concern with the loss of activity continuity that could be developed in that area. We already have a nice development of street activity from 10th to Colony Sq.- then it dies off right as one reaches an apex of cultural institutions. In my view this is where it should culminate. But I have made my point and you are right, we have to see what they are really proposing - I would be more than happy to embrace a stunning project.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:47 PM

Additional note: to see what was planned, visit http://www.ompatlanta.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta