HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 4:27 PM

November Midtown DRC Recap

Spring House made the requested improvements and both proposals were well received. I especially like the last line on the Hanover project. I hope this starts a trend.

Hanover Midtown

Quote:
The Hanover Company returned to the committee for a second review of its proposal to redevelop a 1.3 acre site at Peachtree and 7th Streets, currently a surface parking lot. The development will be a mixed use project with 10,995 square feet of ground floor retail, 342 residential units, and 44,705 square feet of office space. Parking will be provided in a shared deck with access provided by curb cuts on Juniper Street and 7th Street. The committee commended the applicant for the quality of the design and the integrated building program, both of which are completely aligned with the vision and objectives of Blueprint Midtown. The rich palette of exterior building materials and the creative use of open space both for office tenants and residents differentiate this project from others in the Midtown market.

Spring House (SCAD)

Quote:
The first phase of this project will be the demolition of the existing 4-story former motel to make way for a new 6-story, 500 bed dormitory with 6,000 SF of retail, parking, and site amenities. The committee originally reviewed this project in October and encouraged the applicant to explore design alternatives on the ground floor façade that would differentiate the publicly accessible, street level retail from residential units and amenities located above it. Per the committee’s request, the applicant also presented revised plans for a temporary garden wall that wraps the expansion site for a future phase (an area that will be programmed in the interim as a campus courtyard with recreational amenities for the students). The original plans for a 10-foot high wall along the Spring Street frontage were replaced by a less imposing and more visually permeable 5-foot wall with views into the quad. The committee also recommended opening up the north corner of the Spring Street façade with added storefront glass to increase visibility and create a focal point for pedestrians and motorists traveling south on Spring Street. Overall the improvements were well received and the committee recommended support for the project.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 9:57 PM

Meet Memorial Drive's Latest Proposal

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...ndos-shops.php

Quote:
" A promotional website promises 27 modern condos and about 6,000 square feet of street retail, just west of the Atlanta Dairies project and future extension of the Beltline's Eastside Trail.

742 Memorial

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Since I've been so critical in pointing out developments that look like dog$h!t (I'm looking at you, Alexan on Krog), I feel obligated to heap praise on something where it's due. This is exactly what infill developments in this area should look like. This is not "transformative" architecture but its scale and sense of place within the neighborhood is perfect. The full brick façade and size of the building echo the truly industrial Triumph and A&P lofts. I wish Enfold Properties (841 Memorial) would have taken similar design cues.

I wonder if there were greater design restrictions given the site's location south of Pearl, making it Cabbagetown instead of Reynoldstown? Or maybe this developer just "gets it"?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 10:25 PM

Branch Property Project at Peachtree Battle

http://buckheadview.com/2015/11/18/b...attle-project/
Bad photos (I took them) of renderings can be found in this BuckheadView.com article by John Shaffner, which was posted today. This image is also from that article.

Bob Preston is the architect, he also did the Spire Midtown, the Eclipse Buckhead, and the Ovation Buckhead. This will begin at the corner of Terrace at Peachtree and run south.

It's a 19 story mixed-use apartment building, fronting Terrace. It will take out the 1905 book bindery building (now an antiques store), Burger King, and DWR.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDweller View Post
http://buckheadview.com/2015/11/18/b...attle-project/
Bad photos (I took them) of renderings can be found in this BuckheadView.com article by John Shaffner, which was posted today. This image is also from that article.

Bob Preston is the architect, he also did the Spire Midtown, the Eclipse Buckhead, and the Ovation Buckhead. This will begin at the corner of Terrace at Peachtree and run south.

It's a 19 story mixed-use apartment building, fronting Terrace. It will take out the 1905 book bindery building (now an antiques store), Burger King, and DWR.

I saw those photos. It looks like a really nice project.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:15 AM

Tishman Speyer Bringing Office Tower to Atlanta's Bulkhead District
http://skyrisecities.com/news/2015/1...khead-district

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 1:11 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...-for-high.html

Invest Atlanta approved bond financing for GT High Performance Computing Center, Post Centennial Park, and Edgewood/Candler Park station developments. Probably a safe bet those will be rolling soon.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcarrington View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...-for-high.html

Invest Atlanta approved bond financing for GT High Performance Computing Center, Post Centennial Park, and Edgewood/Candler Park station developments. Probably a safe bet those will be rolling soon.
The Post project seems to have lingered for a long time. It will be awesome to see some quality development on those blocks. I'm hoping the design of the Computing Center has improved a bit.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 6:06 PM

City gets three bids to redevelop Turner Field

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ner-field.html

Quote:
The City of Atlanta and Fulton County Recreation Authority said Monday they have received three proposals to redevelop Turner Field and surrounding properties.

The bidders are Carter/Georgia State University/Oakwood Development, Mercury Youth Organization Inc. and Rita World Pearl Kingdom LLC. Bids were sought that would retain, renovate or repurpose the stadium, as well as a detailed redevelopment plan that would generate positive economic impact to the city and surrounding communities.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 12:09 AM

Azure on the Park seems to be taking the Novare approach to building. Suddenly they have 6 floors up.

more photos at Curbed Atlanta

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:02 PM

Currently under construction (or completed within the last 3 months) major projects in the core of Midtown Atlanta:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:30 AM

Here's another rendering of 200 Edgewood. I guess a few more panels of brick veneer would completely destroy their ROI. (rolleyes)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Will none of the projects you mention are completed yet so it's a little premature to make those judgments. They know its a luxury mall so it's highly unlikely that they will use stucco. I agree with AtlHeel that "for a mall" it looks pretty good. The exterior of a mall can not compare with well done street level retail.
What does that look like? Hint: It starts with the letter "S" and the word is not Shit - albeit should!

STUCCO

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
What does that look like? Hint: It starts with the letter "S" and the word is not Shit - albeit should!

STUCCO

There's absolutely nothing wrong with stucco. There are expensive types of stucco. I don't understand why some people in the south still have a complex against stucco. When you travel across the country, there are a lot of high end retail stores that use stucco...there are also a lot of multimillion dollar homes that use stucco as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:09 AM

455 14th Street

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:20 AM

​Drew Co. emerges as front-runner to develop Georgia World Congress Center hotel

Quote:
Boston, Mass.-based Drew Co. has emerged as a front-runner to develop a new convention hotel on the Georgia World Congress Center campus.

The development team could include: Gensler as the architect; Skanska as the general contractor; Jacobs as program management; and Pinnacle Advisory Group as the hospitality consultant.

Drew Co. looks to build an 800-room hotel that could be flagged by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts or InterContinental Hotel Group.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:47 AM

Dual-branded hotel planned for Stratford Road in Buckhead

http://buckheadview.com/2015/12/01/2...d-in-buckhead/

Quote:
The hotel, which would be located across Stratford Road from the pedestrian bridge to the Buckhead MARTA station would include a 150-room Hilton Garden Inn and a 98-room Homewood Suites by Hilton.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...ckhead.html#g1

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with stucco. There are expensive types of stucco. I don't understand why some people in the south still have a complex against stucco. When you travel across the country, there are a lot of high end retail stores that use stucco...there are also a lot of multimillion dollar homes that use stucco as well.
It's been used for thousands of years. I'm not sure why some people think it's a faux pas

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
It's been used for thousands of years. I'm not sure why some people think it's a faux pas
I am assuming that everyone is referring to the "fake" stucco (EIFS) which looks cheap and ages poorly. I agree that "real" stucco is durable and can be quite attractive depending on the architecture.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 11:47 PM

Colony Square transformation plans remove the roof

Yes!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...formation.html
Quote:
North American Properties, which along with Houston-based Lionstone Investments this week closed on a nearly $170 million deal to buy and redevelop Midtown’s Colony Square, says it will take the roof off the retail core of the development.

NAP said the goal is to transform Colony Square, which was built in the late 1960s as the Southeast’s first mixed-use development, into a walkable, open-air experience “where Atlantans will gather and spend time.”

On July 4, 2018, the 50 th anniversary of Colony Square’s groundbreaking, we will celebrate the grand opening of the reimagined Colony Square. We will engage with the city, with the street and with pedestrians, and it will fundamentally change the experience of living and working in Midtown Atlanta.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta