HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Reminds me of this waterfront in Croatia.
That looks like Zadar. Maybe we can copy their sea organ, too.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 1:01 AM

You are correct! It is the sea organ in Zadar. Looks dreamy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
You are correct! It is the sea organ in Zadar. Looks dreamy.
Have you seen it in person? It's very cool. I would love to see something like that here, though there could be issues with the bay freezing up and water in the pipes.

Maybe we can swipe that trippy light disc thing next to it as well. Some travel bloggers aren't impressed by it, but I actually really like that thing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 12:41 AM
It's Hammer Time

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...-west-harbour/

West Harbour plans

• Pier 8 Promenade Park

Cost – $6.5 million

What – A pathway park that will stretch along the northern and eastern borders of Pier 8. The park, designed by the Toronto firm Forrec Ltd., celebrates the harbour's industrial and marine heritage by, among other things, incorporating giant ship hulls as part of the design. The park is intended for the general public as well as people who will live in the planned housing development beside it on the pier.

Where – The northern and eastern edge of Pier 8, 30 metres back from the water.

Status – A design contest of six submissions settled on the Forrec concept called Hamilton: Harbour City. Over the next several months, designers from the company will work with city officials on a final plan with a developer to begin construction next spring with completion by the end of 2018 or early 2019.

• Pier 8 shoreline rehabilitation

Cost – $13.2 million

What – Pier 8 has needed shoreline rehabilitation for a long time, says Phillips. "We're ensuring that it will be up to today's standards and it will last a long time."

Where – Around the northern and eastern sides of the pier beside where the promenade park will be.

Status – To be started next spring and finished later in the year.

• Pier infrastructure construction

Cost – $9 million

What – Build sewer, water lines, electricity connections as well as roads to make the area shovel-ready for the planned housing/commercial development in Pier 8, and accommodate development on nearby piers.

Where – Piers 8, 7 and 6, with the bulk of the work being done on Pier 8

Status – To begin spring of 2018 and completed the same year or early 2019.

• Pier 6 and 7 redevelopment

Cost – $15 million

What – Shoreline rehabilitation, pedestrian access, and a "commercial village."

Where – Pier 6 and 7 stretches between the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club and Discovery Drive.

Status – Construction is expected to start in 2018 and finish in 2019 or 2020.

• Pier 8 housing and commercial development

Cost – To be determined with involvement of a private sector partner

What – A housing project of up to 1,600 units in nine development blocks that would be built in phases over several years depending on market demand and other issues. The project will have commercial and public spaces as well.

Where – Pier 8, back 30 metres from the pathway park around the outer edge of the pier.

Status – In April the city issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ), which asked developers – or consortiums of developers – to apply to be among a shortlist to take on the project. Next month, the short list will be announced.

Then the city will issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) in which the shortlisted developers will have the chance to flesh out how they would manage building out the pier. One would be selected by the spring of 2018 and that developer would go through negotiations with the city over a purchase price for the land and various commitments. Construction would probably not start till 2020, says Phillips, because of approvals that will be required.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 10:08 PM

Shortlisted developer/architect teams announced and this lineup is INSANITY

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...r-8-proposals/

Quote:
Daniels (including Daniels Corp and Core Architects);

Gulf Dream (including Great Gulf Enterprises, Dream Asset Management Corp and Hariri Pontarini Architects);

Tridel (including Tridel Builders Inc. and architectsAlliance);

Urban Capital/Core Urban (including Urban Capital Property Group, Core Urban Inc., Milborne Real Estate Group, Saucier + Perotte and RAW Design;

Waterfront Shores (including Cityzen Development Corp., Fernbrook Homes Group, GFL Environmental Inc., Greybrook Realty Partners Inc and KPMB Architects).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 12:27 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Shortlisted developer/architect teams announced and this lineup is INSANITY

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...r-8-proposals/
Wow!

Quite a few Toronto Developers, hope one gets chosen so they see we're open to them for future projects!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 12:45 AM

^We've been open for business for years - they haven't been interested! ;-)

KPMB is interesting. I've long admired their work, though I don't associate them with residential.

Very cool news.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:06 AM
It's Hammer Time

What no bid from LIUNA and Hi Rise? HAHA move over the big boys are coming over now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:42 AM

What was the likely height cap for this area again?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

six-storey maximum

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 2:28 PM

I think some of the blocks are approved for 8 stories.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:01 AM
It's Hammer Time

Port authority dreams up plans for Stelco lands
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...-stelco-lands/

The Hamilton Port Authority has put prospective plans on paper for its vision involving about 250 acres of former Stelco lands.

The federal agency has mapped out how it could run trains in and out of the site or on a round-trip "circle track" because of the property's size, said president and CEO Ian Hamilton.

"That's a potential vision of the Stelco lands," he told The Spectator this week at an editorial board meeting.

The HPA has become more vocal in recent years about its interest in the lands for industrial, employment and advanced manufacturing uses. While the port authority has 630 acres, it's running tight on space with only about 30 developable acres remaining.

The Stelco lands are viewed as the ideal place to grow because of the available space and configuration of the site, Hamilton said.

A complicated deal that lifted the steelmaker from creditor protection on June 30 calls for the lands previously owned by U.S. Steel Canada to be turned into a land trust, called LandCo, with Stelco leasing about one-third of the property. The rest of the land is to be remediated over several years with the eventual goal of getting it back into production.

LandCo will take over ownership of 818 acres on Hamilton's bayfront. The port authority would have liked all of that land, but Hamilton said it's particularly interested in the areas closely linked to transportation assets — close to 150 acres near the water and another 100 acres where rail travels through the property.

"It has a lot of value to have that docking infrastructure," said spokesperson Larissa Fenn. "To have it coupled with the extensive rail infrastructure on that site — that makes it a really special space for which we would see a lot of demand for transportation intensive uses."

Asked about relocating CN's Stuart Street yard away from the west harbour, Hamilton said the decision would be up to the owner, but he sees the Stelco lands as part of the solution. The port authority would try to start a dialogue with CN if it managed to get hold of the land, he said.

The agency is waiting for the land trust to be finalized so those conversations can begin, Hamilton said. It's his understanding that the timeline is "fairly fluid" but the target date to have the trust in place could be as early as January.

The city has been trying to convince CN to move the facility since the 1990s.

CN previously told The Spectator they were not planning to relocate the Stuart Street yard.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:49 AM

absolutely massive. Relocating that rail yard would be the greatest game-changer in the modern history of Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:08 PM

Not sure how long these have been out there, but here are the proposals from the Pier 8 bidders.

https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiat...-8-development

Personally, I think GulfDream really sets itself apart from the rest.

Last edited by anactualalien; Apr 6, 2018 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:34 PM

Core Urban with a solidly #HamOnt proposal. Looks pretty impressive actually. First glance at the Tridel presentation, for example, suggests they've done a pretty cursory Hamilton googling job. For example:

"In late September, students from Ryerson Middle School are
greeted by an instructor from theHamilton Conservation Authority,
who uses The Greenway and its stormwater management system
to show how cities can be environmentally sustainable. The
bioswale – the ‘spine’ of The Greenway – channels rainwater from
across the community to irrigate the trees and plants that are the
‘lungs’ of Pier 8."

Tough sell maybe when the lands aren't conservation areas and the harbour is governed by the Port Authority? I may be wrong there but I've never seen the HCA involved at the piers.

Or:
"REID, 33
Ceramic artist
Walking over from his live-work space on Block 6, Reid is
running through his mental ‘to-do’ list. For the past 3 years,
he has worked with Hamilton Tourism and students from
McMaster University’s Marketing program on the annual Pier
8 Fall Craft Fair, which the Pier 8 Residents Association hosts
in the plazas and ground-floor amenity spaces along The
Greenway."

It's Tourism Hamilton, Tridel. Not Hamilton Tourism. Also, are there any 'Residents Associations" in Hamilton? Nope, they are Neighbourhood Associations. Bad googling!

That's after a five minute glance.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:57 PM
Forever forward.

I'm sold on Waterfront Shores.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:12 PM

Holy Waterfront Shores. I am getting Barbican vibes in all the best ways.

That video also made me tear up a little! You can tell this was a deeply personal project for KPMB.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:17 AM

Love Core Urban, of course, but KPMB has been doing wonderful things on the international scene for years. And Bruce Kuwabara was born in Hamilton. Waterfront Shores.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:21 AM

Great Gulf gets my vote . Given how well they have restored Hamilton to date, I really wanted Core Urban to bring it home, but kind of generic design wise. Better than Tridel (a little chilly feeling with glass and steel). Waterfront shores - kind of like what you might expect when you throw a bunch of one-off buildings into sandbox.

Last edited by King&James; Apr 7, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:34 AM

My heart wants to go with Core Urban and their amazing line up of local business leaders ready to open on site...Relay Coffee, Equal Parts Hospitality, Other Bird etc..... but the design is very sub-par. Zero public gathering plazas or patio zones.

I think the best of all worlds is Waterfront Shores. LOVE the architecture, love the greenway design and they seem to have the most ground floor retail/patio/commercial space than the other designs. To me it is a MUST to have patio/dining/public seating areas throughout this district.

I love the architecture and public realm design of Gulf Dream, and really like their plaza area in front of the proposed AGH, but they only have 2 spots for retail/patio space. Not nearly enough for a site of this size and scale.

Tridel does a great job of having a mix of residents from kids/families to seniors. Also a nice commercial/patio component and very cool Euro-waterfront architecture. Great greenway design and public realm as well.

Sadly, the public realm, weird looking alleyway green paths and lack of public seating/gathering/amenities in the Core Urban one make it my last choice.

Any of the first 3 would be awesome, but I would probably say Waterfront Shore and Tridel are my top 2, in order.

I hope the city isn't swayed by all the local business folks in the Core Urban plan because I feel it has big bust potential....bland design, no gathering areas etc.....

Also, am I the only one completely shocked by the fact that along the entire northern part of the site - with the BEST views of the water - there is NO retail/commercial space. In fact, there is a ROAD with 12-foot wide lanes proposed cutting off the Hammer public park with the neighbourhood. I mean, I know it's Hamilton and we love our roads, but really?

One of the proposals shows the waterfront in Hamburg, Germany. Loaded with people on a huge patio directly facing the water. How on earth did we supposedly learn from the worlds best and end up with a street facing the water and zero people-gathering/patio/restaurant space???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues