HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRepublic View Post
That's something I've heard from basically anyone who doesn't like baseball. The "it's so boring" put-down is common too. .
I love it when baseball fans say cricket is boring!

I also love it when cricket fans say baseball is boring!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Université de Montréal Carabins' win in the Vanier Cup is still getting attention. The second item in all of the national francophone sportscasts last night (after the Habs-Canucks/Jean Béliveau story of course) was the Carabins being hosted at Montreal city hall by mayor Denis Coderre.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:59 PM
✌ ❤ ➅

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I love it when baseball fans say cricket is boring!

I also love it when cricket fans say baseball is boring!
very true

Or when sport X fans say sport Y is boring. I should've said slow instead of boring lol

Thon Maker elevates Orangeville basketball powerhouse
Sudanese-Australian Thon Maker, arguably world’s top high school basketball player, leaves U.S. prep school to join top Canadian prospects Jamal Murray and Jalen Poyser at Orangeville’s Athlete Institute.

Quote:
A Sudanese-Australian who spent most of his nascent playing career in the U.S., Maker is arguably the best high school basketball player in the world. Earlier this year he surprised the sport’s prospect watchers when he announced he was leaving his U.S. prep school and taking his talents north of the border to this mostly rural town about 80 kilometres north of Toronto. “This was the best opportunity for me to grow as a player,” he says.

Maker could have played anywhere, but he chose Orangeville’s Athlete Institute, a high-performance training centre that’s also home to Canada’s first year-round basketball academy for high school students. No doubt, the highly touted seven-footer is a big catch for the burgeoning program, but in many ways he represents something bigger: Canada’s ongoing evolution as a basketball hotbed.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...owerhouse.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:07 PM

Unheralded Canadians living dream as NFL rookies
Quebecers maintain friendship as improbable stories grow
John Kryk, QMI Agency November 29, 2014

Le duo dynamique, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and David Foucault, met in May 2013 at practices before the Canadian Interuniversity Sport preseason all-star football game.

Neither Quebecer was viewed as a star prospect before, or even immediately after, that East West Bowl in London, Ont.

Each quietly clung to his football dream, the same extreme long-shot to which countless Canadian high school and university football players dedicate themselves. Only Duvernay-Tardif and Foucault are now living that dream, just 12 months after playing their last down of CIS football.

They’re in the NFL — Duvernay-Tardif with the Kansas City Chiefs, Foucault with the Carolina Panthers.

Foucault has even started a game already. Incredible? Yeah, pretty much.

“He’s such a good guy. I’m so happy for him,” said Duvernay-Tardif, who has stayed in touch with Foucault via email and Facebook since that East West Bowl. “It’s a big thing for an undrafted Canadian free agent to start at left tackle in the NFL.”

No kidding.

Duvernay-Tardif, a tackle-turned-guard from Montreal’s McGill University, first turned NFL heads late in this year’s pre-draft process. In root speed, athleticism and power drills, the 6-foot-5, 315-pounder had few O-linemen equals even south of the border.

The Kansas City Chiefs wound up selecting Duvernay-Tardif in the sixth round. He is on KC’s 53-man roster this season but has yet to dress for a game; he’s among the weekly seven inactive players who watch games in sweats from the sideline.

Foucault, a 6-foot-8, 305-pound tackle from the University of Montreal, had to take an even unlikelier road to the NFL. His agent helped get him into a pair of “regional” scouting combines late last winter, for best-of-the-rest dream-clutchers snubbed by the main combine in Indianapolis.

Strong play earned Foucault an invitation to the final-round “super regional” combine in Detroit, and he impressed there too.

But Foucault went undrafted, and his phone still didn’t ring in the 24-hour period following the draft, when each team signs about a dozen long-shot, rookie free-agent prospects.

Finally, the Panthers, Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins began to woo him, and Foucault chose Carolina. He impressed coaches and team brass at rookie camp, then again in summer training camp. By September he made Carolina’s 53-man roster — quite the shocker.

No one expected either Quebecer to play this season, as they recalibrated their minds and bodies to face the massive upgrades in speed and power, compared to what they saw against the likes of Sherbrooke, Concordia and Bishop’s last season.

Foucault, though, got tastes of action in four early games. Come the last week of October, injuries felled two Panthers tackles above him on the depth chart. Head coach Ron Rivera had little choice but to start Foucault at left tackle in a Thursday night home game against NFC South rival New Orleans.

Foucault’s task: to protect quarterback Cam Newton’s blindside.

There’s no sugar-coating it: Foucault had a rough night in a 28-10 loss, but then so did the entire Carolina O-line.

“I never even expect to make the roster for this year,” Foucault said in a phone interview Friday. “I was very stressful all through that week, and I pushed myself. I was very nervous and excited, because I made it — my first starting NFL game.

“I played well for a part. It’s just at the end my body was a little bit tired, and New Orleans put a lot of pressure (on my) side.

“My coaches, they talk to me afterwards and said, ‘You worked hard, and you did what you were supposed to do. This is more experience for you, and you’ll get better.’”

That’s a literal transcription of Foucault’s words. Like Duvernay-Tardif, French was pretty much the only language he spoke while growing up in south-side Montreal. The 25-year-old’s English is a work-in-progress.

Unlike Duvernay-Tardif at McGill, Foucault attended a French-language university (unAnglicized, it’s Universite de Montreal). How many other NFLers attended a non-English-language college or university? Right. That fact just makes Foucault’s story all the more improbable.

“I work hard to make it,” Foucault said. “This is not my first language. All the guys here respect me for that.”

All those French words and syllables in Duvernay-Tardif’s full name proved too much in Kansas City. Most coaches and players there call him “Larry,” not “Laurent.”

In an interview in the victorious Chiefs locker room after their win at Buffalo earlier this month, the 23-year-old said he doesn’t mind.

He also didn’t sound frustrated about not having suited up yet, even though he nearly did in Week 2 at Denver.

“To just be able to focus on that, rather than on the next opponent each and every week, is a huge advantage,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “I think it’s going to be helpful to me in the future.”

It’s been quite a year for le duo dynamique. Who saw this coming in January, let alone a year-and-a-half ago? No one. Not even Foucault and Duvernay-Tardif.

“After the season, we will take a beer somewhere and just talk about everything,” Foucault said. “Two guys from Quebec to make the NFL. It’s a big deal.”

Before that East West Bowl last year, a CIS news release touted a handful of top players. Duvernay-Tardif made the list, along with Pierre Lavertu, Sam Sabourin, Antoine Pruneau, Anthony Coombs, Kit Hillis and Tyler Crapigna.

Foucault’s name appeared only on the East roster, down-page, in small type.

“I just hope that in two, three years people will say, ‘Hey, those two Canadians did well, and brought more NFL scouts up to Canada,’” Duvernay-Tardif said. “That’s my goal. That’s what motivates me to get better every day.”

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:11 PM

Every year there are Canadians that play in the NFL, a number that is growing bigger by the year. These players sometimes were Americans with a tie to Canada through birth or Canadians who played in the NCAA who just as frequently flew under the radar at home.

The real factor that shows the growth of Canadian football is now the number of players coming out of Canadian schools who play in the NFL. Once almost unthinkable in my youth, with a very few rare birds getting the call, it is now becoming much more frequent.

Look for standout Stampeder OL Brett Jones (Regina) to try his luck in the new year. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award in 2014 after winning the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2013.

Here is a list of players (and their Canadian schools) who are now in the NFL or have been in the last few years.

Israel Idonije - Manitoba
Vaughn Martin - Western
Stefan Charles - Regina
Jon Ryan - Regina
Akiem Hicks (American) - Regina
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - McGill
David Foucault - Montreal
Henoc Muamba - St FX
Cory Greenwood - Concordia
Sam Giguère - Sherbrooke
Dan Federkeil - Calgary
Ben Heenan - Saskatchewan
Brett Jones - Regina

Last edited by elly63; Feb 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:16 PM

Speaking of the NFL/CIAU/CIS connection, here is a big story from almost 30 years ago which some of our younger posters may not have heard.

Big, Strong and Fast, Mike Schad Quickly Had Rams' Attention
Rich Roberts Los Angeles Times Staff Writer June 10, 1986

Michael Schad, offensive tackle, Queen's University. 6-5, 290, 4.89 40. Incredible physical specimen, eye-catching speed and exceptional athletic ability. Diamond in the rough. Needs a great deal of work on his position technique but is most advanced player from Canadian college in years. Hasn't faced top competition.

That's the sort of thing National Football League draftniks were saying last spring about Mike Schad, the incredible hulk from Canada.

Dick Steinberg, the New England Patriots' astute talent scout, said cautiously that Schad "doesn't look like your typical green Canadian (football player)."

Others noted that anything else that big from the north woods had antlers, or was a blue ox named Babe. But this specimen also has two college degrees, can two-hand dunk a basketball, run the hurdles and handle a 50-caliber machine gun.

Any questions?

The Rams were so impressed that they spent a first-round draft choice on him and slipped him across the border early one morning, right under the noses of the Dieter Brock Fan Club. The NFL had never drafted a Canadian player that high.

Schad was no secret, though, in the NFL. His agent, Gil Scott, the Toronto businessman who also brought Brock south, said that NFL interest was nil until some Canadian Shriners exerted pressure to get him into the East-West game at Stanford last December.

He played so well in it--he gained the attention of Ram Coach John Robinson when he made a tackle inside the 20-yard line on a kickoff --that Schad rose to about a potential third-round choice when he took physical tests for the National Football Scouting combine at New Orleans, "and from there it just snowballed."

There was suspicion that if the Rams hadn't claimed Schad, the Raiders would have on the next turn.

Since the draft, although he still is unsigned, Schad has been working out with other young linemen at Rams Park. He may not be the reason why veteran Bill Bain asked for his release to seek an opportunity elsewhere, but Schad, coldly analytical, has even set his sights on starting tackles Irv Pankey and Jackie Slater. He plans to play this season.

"I know I'm gonna play," Schad said. "Between Jackie Slater and Irv Pankey, that's 40 games, including exhibition games. I'll be surprised if they both play all the games."

His only other serious rival is Mike Shiner, a 1985 free agent from Notre Dame.

"Mike Shiner has the jump on me right now, with a year's experience," Schad said. "But it's just experience and technique. It's coming fast."

Schad hasn't played against many people his own size--Canadian college football is probably on a level between the NCAA's Divisions II and III--but he is not hampered by an inferiority complex.

Gord Smith, his coach at Moira Secondary (High) School in Belleville, Ontario, said by phone: "I've never met a more motivated athlete. This has been his goal for six years."

Smith said that Schad first impressed him when he walked in the door. "He was 6-5, 240 when he was 16 and playing as a junior. Mike was always pretty quick for a big kid. He went to our provincial regional meet as a hurdler. As a high school basketball player he was intimidating as hell.

"I remember a basketball playoff when we were playing lethargically and I got on their case and told Mike to take the ball and take it to the hole. He took the ball to the foul line, took one step and jammed the ball and about took the rim off. The other team just stood and watched. It ended up about a 40-point spread after that."

The Moira Trojans were undefeated in Schad's last two seasons, winning the Central Ontario championship each year.

"Mike played mostly defense in high school," Smith said. "I had him at middle linebacker. He had great pursuit ability."

Smith even toyed with the idea of using Schad as a running back.

"We thought it would be interesting to have this great big guy running the ball, but we knew his future would probably be as a lineman."

But if the Chicago Bears could use William Perry in the backfield in special situations, Schad would certainly fit. He even looks like an athlete. He may change the way people think about Canadian football players.

"I think maybe some people will take notice now," Smith said. "When he was in his final year here the only thing that happened in the States was a couple of yawns. Nobody even came to see him play. It might show that Canadian kids can play.

"I think Mike realizes it will take at least a year to pick up the technique, because of lack of experience. The American kids have had a higher intensity coaching program than Canadian kids get. Some experienced guys might turn him around a few times, but he's got the motivation and the physical tools."

Bob Howes, his position coach at Queen's, said: "He's read about all the people down there in the NFL, and he's geared himself to working beyond our league. If anybody can handle it, he can. I don't know who's gonna work harder."

When Schad attended Queen's in Kingston, Ontario, he had his own key to a local Nautilus gym, where he would put in about three hours a day, every day.

But it wasn't easy getting to Queen's in the first place. Canadian universities don't give athletic scholarships and, academically, Queen's rates with the Ivy League schools.

Smith said that Schad "was a very average student . . . had to struggle for everything he got. When people started to say, 'I wonder if Mike can make it to a university?' he got his nose into the books and made himself a student."

Schad has one degree in geography and needs only to complete a thesis for another in exercise physiology.

He admits: "I never was an academic bright light, but I accomplished more than a lot of people."

There is a methodology about Schad that may come from his roots. His parents grew up in Germany.

"I guess he got the right genes from everybody," said his mother, Ursula, a clerk for an automotive supply firm. "I didn't use vitamins, just the best out of both countries: a mixture of Canadian and German food."

But it goes deeper than that. His father, Helmut, a machinist, is the son of a former Germany army captain who served--and survived--on the Eastern Front, while B-17s were bombing out his family back home in Frankfurt.

"It was just a residential area," said Helmut, who was 11 when the war ended. "Maybe they made a mistake."

Later, Helmut Schad was recruited, in a sense, by the French Foreign Legion.

"I went on a bike tour and never returned," he said.

His regiment was lost in Vietnam while Helmut was in a field hospital with malaria. After touring Libya, Tunis and other wonderful places, he was discharged after five years' service and moved to Canada, where he met Ursula, who had arrived by a different route.

She is from Halle, a city in East Germany about 60 miles southwest of Berlin. It had been captured by American troops in 1945. When partitioning took effect in 1948, her family fled.

"First the Americans came in, and then three years later they left us all alone to the Russians," she said, laughing. "We got out before the wall went up. We each had a knapsack and pretended to go on holiday and just went over the border. It was dangerous, but not as dangerous as it was later."

She arrived in Canada 10 years later, when she was 20.

"I come from a tough family," Schad said. "I mean tough mentally."

Schad has an older sister and a younger brother, Andreas, a linebacker at Carlton University in Ottawa.

"Michael was different from the others," his father said. "He had his ideas and he followed them, even when he was little. He really worked hard for it."

His mother said: "He's the neglected middle child, he always says. I don't think you could neglect him if you tried."

Discipline was strict.

"My parents were very critical of me, expected a lot of me, in regard to academics, in regard to sports--my mother especially," Schad said. "So I became critical of myself and, in a way, that's made me a perfectionist."

Said his mother: "It didn't come easy for us, and we sure didn't give it away to the children."

Schad thrived on challenges. During high school, he served three years in the army reserve.

"I always liked military discipline," he said. "I ended up being a qualified mortarman--81mm mortar. I was qualified on a 50-caliber machine gun. I got into that. That helped regiment my life style, getting done what had to get done."

Schad claims to relate to Rambo-type characters.

"I love those guys," he said. "I want to get in a movie with (Arnold) Schwarzenegger before I get out of here. The broadswords, Conan-type. I really eat that stuff up. It's not the macho thing. It's the pride that's involved.

"I think it came out in high school. Sport is what made me able to express myself the best. I always had a mental thing within my peer group, a 'You're no better than I am' type thing. I thought fighting was a stupid way to go about it."

Schad found it wasn't easy always being the biggest kid around.

"That's hard," he said after a recent workout with his new Ram peers. "Guys don't want to play a pickup basketball game with you. I drifted away. It made me find new friends with the same interests. It's funny. I can go have a beer with these guys and it feels like I've known them all my life. Same interests, same goals.

"A football player is a different person. It's a lot different from a normal person outside the football world.

"I was never a bully, but I got into my share of fights. I'm not a guy to take anything off anybody, in everything I do. It's gotten me into trouble a few times, but not deep trouble. I've never been put in jail."

He's never cleaned out a saloon?

"Well . . . I wouldn't say that," Schad said, laughing. "I can't stand somebody 190 pounds challenging me . . . a guy that's not even in my league. That really upsets me. If a guy gets on my case, I won't put up with it."

He said he usually tries to reason with an antagonist.

"Just put the fear of God into him . . . lift him off his feet, pin him up on the wall. You know if you hit the guy you're gonna get in trouble."

So he never has punched anyone out?

"I wouldn't say that, either."

Schad said that he is adjusting to the Southern California life style.

"I really like it down here," he said. "The weather's better. It's a big city. But I'm from a conservative background, and out here it's a lot more liberal.

"What really bums me out is I can't get over how marital vows out here don't mean nothin'. All the women out here are divorced and have a kid. I can't get over how it's fashionable to get divorced. I really can't stand that attitude.

"I'm from a work-ethic background. I bought my first car out here. I was in the army reserve for three years and saved every penny of that to pay for school. I never bought a stereo, I never bought a car. I paid for the first three years of school on my own.

"I worked in the summer and played football . . . tried to get it all in. Weight training, football and work. I can't stand a lot of the girls' attitudes--'Let's party and have fun.' I mean, lie out in the sun all day? Don't you have something to do to fulfill your life? I don't measure my success by that."

But Schad denies that he is one-dimensional.

"Hell, I'm the first guy to go out and have a beer with the boys," he said. "I need that escape at times. But that's not the end-all."

He bought a conservative car: a $40,000 Cadillac.

"I went to a lot of dealerships. It was tough fitting into a car. I couldn't fit into any of the Mercedes lines or BMW lines. The big Mercedes didn't have enough head room, and with the console between the front seats, my legs are so big I didn't fit. I didn't want to buy a truck, so I ended up buying a Cadillac."

He did consider a Porsche.

"But, you know, I still have to establish myself on the team," he said. "I think a Cadillac is being level-headed."

One of Schad's ambitions was to bench-press 500 pounds. One day in the Rams' weight room, he made it. He also squatted 700 pounds.

"I'm impressed," Garrett Giemont, the Rams' strength trainer, said with a trace of sarcasm. "But we're also looking for balance. Technique, speed and other things will determine how good he is on the field, not just what he does in the weight room."

Schad said he wasn't trying to impress anyone.

"I just try to do the best I can do," he said. "If I hold back in the weight room, I'll hold back on the field. How strong you are in the weight room is how strong you are on the field, but you still have to be a good player to do it.

"Coming from Canada does place you at a disadvantage initially, I think, so you gotta be stronger and faster than your counterpart American players. You know: 'He's from Canada; he can't play.' I'm just the same as anybody else. I don't sense any nationality difference among the players here. I'm just another player.

"Everybody's gotta do something. (Whether) you're an accountant, a movie star, a baseball player, be the best at what you do. If you're a garbage man, be the best."

And how will he know when he is the best?

"I'll know when. It's like when Coach (Hudson) Houck says now, 'Hey, Irv, Jackie, come over here and show these guys how it's done.' Then you start going to the Pro Bowl. Stuff like that."

Houck is the Rams' offensive line coach. First-round draft choices are nothing new to him. He coached seven of them at USC: Don Mosebar, Roy Foster, Keith Van Horne, Brad Budde, Pat Howell, Marvin Powell and Bruce Matthews.

"I'm really happy to be with a coach like him because I think he's gonna maximize my potential," Schad said. "It's all up to me now."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Here is a list of players (and their Canadian schools) who are now in the NFL or have been in the last few years.

Israel Idonije - Manitoba
Vaughn Martin - Western
Stefan Charles - Regina
Jon Ryan - Regina
Akiem Hicks (American) - Regina
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - McGill
David Foucault - Montreal
Henoc Muamba - St FX
Cory Greenwood - Concordia
3 ex-Regina Rams on that list is pretty impressive. By contrast, Minnesota has 6 and they're a huge Big Ten program.

Kind of surprising that no one from Laval is on that list.

I agree with the sentiment that this is almost unheard of compared to 20-30 years ago. CIS players can get a legitimate crack at the NFL these days. I think it's partly due to increased competitiveness within the CIS, although I'd wager that much of it is also due to technology... it's far easier to scout someone from a distance these days by watching game film, combine results, etc. on Youtube. Back in the old days, the NFL scouts probably didn't bother coming to Canada very often, which meant there wasn't much NFL attention for Canadian players.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:35 PM
arf

^Definitely the technology side of things. Just think if the CIS actually had any coverage in Canada itself. There would probably be a lot more Canadians playing in the NFL if there was actual broadcasting coverage for CIS on a consistent basis.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Definitely the technology side of things. Just think if the CIS actually had any coverage in Canada itself. There would probably be a lot more Canadians playing in the NFL if there was actual broadcasting coverage for CIS on a consistent basis.
Blame the CIS for pulling their plug on a TV deal because they wanted more exposure for non-football sports.

(as much as I want that too, it shouldn't sacrifice football to do so)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Blame the CIS for pulling their plug on a TV deal because they wanted more exposure for non-football sports.

(as much as I want that too, it shouldn't sacrifice football to do so)
Is that the reason why their TV presence is so terrible?

If so, that's a very egalitarian, CIS-like thing to do. Let all the student athletes be exactly the same and toil in near-total obscurity.

Someone should remind CIS that a rising tide lifts all ships. If it weren't for the extreme mania for US College Football, there wouldn't be a Big Ten Network (which is mysteriously part of my basic cable plan), a SEC Network and the like. Plenty of obscure sports and women's athletics on there.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:31 PM

There will be a CONCACAF Gold Cup double header at BMO Field on July 14th 2015

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12...p-doubleheader

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
There will be a CONCACAF Gold Cup double header at BMO Field on July 14th 2015

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12...p-doubleheader
Isn't Pan Am games Rugby Sevens going on at the same time?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 12:32 AM

It's only a 2 day event at the Games and finishes 2 days before the Gold Cup games

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:08 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 5:31 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/sp...rder.html?_r=0

Quote:
TORONTO — There was a time, not long ago, when New York and Los Angeles seemed to monopolize much of the world’s basketball talent. They produced the best players, who went to the best college programs before graduating to the N.B.A. It was the American way.

But the great democratization of the game has altered its landscape, sending the game west and east and even north — as in north of the border.

Look no further than Toronto, the hub of hockey, which now moonlights as one of North America’s unlikeliest incubators of hoops prodigies and pumps out an extraordinary number of pro players. Consider that the last two No. 1 overall picks in the N.B.A. draft, Anthony Bennett and Andrew Wiggins of the Minnesota Timberwolves, grew up near the city. And that seven other players who were born in the Toronto area are on N.B.A. rosters. And that many more are on the way.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
If CIS had actually made an effort to cultivate a viewership for its football games, this could have been a stellar idea. But as things stand it's way too speculative to make good business sense. I honestly don't see a marquee matchup like Calgary vs. Laval generating some sort of huge ratings windfall relative to a garden variety Calgary-UBC or Laval-Bishop's game.

I think Dube's heart is in the right place and heaven knows that he is a huge supporter of the CIS, but I think that they need to start by getting people in the habit of watching CIS football in the first place before you can hope to get them excited about marquee matchups.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If CIS had actually made an effort to cultivate a viewership for its football games, this could have been a stellar idea. But as things stand it's way too speculative to make good business sense. I honestly don't see a marquee matchup like Calgary vs. Laval generating some sort of huge ratings windfall relative to a garden variety Calgary-UBC or Laval-Bishop's game.

I think Dube's heart is in the right place and heaven knows that he is a huge supporter of the CIS, but I think that they need to start by getting people in the habit of watching CIS football in the first place before you can hope to get them excited about marquee matchups.
I guess they have to start somewhere. I think the CBC should get on board. They are completely lost right now and becoming the carrier of choice for CIS sport would raise their stock a little bit.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:37 AM

So the WJHC is drawing mediocre crowds in Montreal and Toronto... think the ticket prices have anything to do with it?

Source: https://twitter.com/kvahey

...the organizers have lost touch with reality.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So the WJHC is drawing mediocre crowds in Montreal and Toronto... think the ticket prices have anything to do with it?

Source: https://twitter.com/kvahey

...the organizers have lost touch with reality.
Well its best to compare the other nation matchups. The steep markup for that game is expected.

Last night Sweden and Russia drew surprisingly well.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Well its best to compare the other nation matchups. The steep markup for that game is expected.

Last night Sweden and Russia drew surprisingly well.
Frankly I think it's to the credit of hockey fans in Toronto and Montreal that they are, for the most part, hesitant to pay such ridiculous prices for junior hockey.

The WJHC was a bit of a feel good rah-rah Canada exercise when they'd put it in Saskatoon or Red Deer and the place would go nuts for it... this year it feels like a cynical exercise in trying to squeeze every last cent possible out of the event. Hockey Canada is killing the fun in it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada