HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:18 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/plans-lax-rail-link-move-ahead

Metro releases the DEIR for Aviation/96th Street Station, which will link to the future LAX automated people mover

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:24 PM

Delta's T2/T3 construction schedule and a very preliminary concept drawing of the terminals and concourses.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:44 AM

Whatever happened to TBIT satellite expansions ? I thought one was supposed to break ground this year or early next?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Whatever happened to TBIT satellite expansions ? I thought one was supposed to break ground this year or early next?
I got an email about this yesterday.

LATEST EDITION OF LAX CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS PROGRAM E-NEWSLETTER NOW ONLINE

​(Los Angeles, California – July 18, 2016) The latest issue of the LAX Capital Improvements Program E-Newsletter is now available online at the Los Angeles International Airport web site at: http://vlaxiis05:92/uploadedFiles/LA...summer2016.pdf. The Summer 2016 issue of the newsletter features these articles:
• Automated People Mover Development on Track
• Getting a Peek Into the Future at Terminals 1 And 7
• Demolition Makes Way for Midfield Satellite Concourse
• Terminal 4 Connector Nears Official Opening
• Work Continues in CTA Parking Structures
• New Eateries Open, American Shifts ‘Eagle’s Nest’ Busing as Work Continues in Terminal 6

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I did the LAX air field tour last week... the demo of Qantas hanger was already completed. Actual construction will begin this month.

You can't see much from this photo (looking west from TBIT) but a few weeks ago, there was a hanger and vehicle junkyard where the K-rail stands now.

A few other photos

Heavy traffic on the service road...

Construction to extend runway 25

End of runway 25L from the service road

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 19, 2016 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:36 AM

^^^ Sweet, thanks for the updates. I'm just happy its still in the works and not canceled. Still a bit bummed that the bridge was canceled though

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
^^^ Sweet, thanks for the updates. I'm just happy its still in the works and not canceled. Still a bit bummed that the bridge was canceled though
Bridge was nice aesthetic element but would have cost a lot of money. The original plan for MSC had a two-way utility and transportation tunnels underground and the pedestrian bridge. It doesn't take an accountant to see that you can just enlarge the tunnels a bit and put pedestrian access underground too without incurring the cost of the bridge. The costs estimates for the bridge escalated really quick when actual engineering work started so it was eliminated in the final design.

Plus there was concern that the bridge would inhibit LAX's ability to serve bigger aircraft in the future (e.g. proposed A380-900, which may need a taller vertical stabilizer)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:18 PM

^^^ I know. I just wish there was a way to get the bridge done. Would have been as iconic as the Theme building. I wonder why the bridge price escalated so quickly. I just hate the idea of pushing international travelers underground as soon as they touch down in a city that's known for its weather. The bridge would have had people around the world talking. LAX is fine as is, I like how the terminals/concourse/gates are right at the street, in and out. I just think it needs another "theme building" type element. The bridge would have been perfect.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 22, 2016 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:23 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Fly-through video of the MSC.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:40 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Delta Air Lines to move to Terminals 2 and 3 at LAX by end of 2018

By City News Service
July 20, 2016

Delta Air Lines will move its check-in and boarding facilities closer to some of its partner airlines, as well as closer to the international terminals at Los Angeles International Airport, under an agreement approved by Airport Commissioners Wednesday.

Delta is proposing about $1.9 billion in upgrades at LAX, as part of plans to move from its current home in Terminals 5 and 6 to Terminals 2 and 3 by the end of 2018.

Under the agreement, Delta will begin spending at least $350 million on renovations of boarding gates and baggage handling areas at Terminals 2 and 3, and on the relocation of airlines that are being displaced.

The move will bring Delta closer to some partner airlines, including Aeromexico, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia, and allow the airline to build a passageway to the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Airport Commission President Sean Burton said the lease agreement with Delta achieves their “shared goal to significantly improve the guest experience at LAX.”

Los Angeles World Airport Chief Executive Officer Deborah Flint said the upgrades, which include the redevelopment of Terminal 3, “will create a more balanced and efficient airport for both customers and airlines, as well as allow for the co-location of Delta with its partners.”

Ranjan Goswami, Delta vice president of sales in the western region, said Delta’s future home at Terminal 2 and 3 “will provide everything our customers currently benefit from at Terminal 5, along with enhancements that will enable best-in-class check-in, faster connection times for seamless connectivity and an industry-leading customer experience.”

Delta officials say the relocation and improvements, which are expected to take about seven years, are part of the airline’s continued expansion at LAX.

The individual projects still need to undergo environmental study and require additional government approvals. The lease agreement now goes to the City Council for consideration.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...by-end-of-2018

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Bridge was nice aesthetic element but would have cost a lot of money. The original plan for MSC had a two-way utility and transportation tunnels underground and the pedestrian bridge. It doesn't take an accountant to see that you can just enlarge the tunnels a bit and put pedestrian access underground too without incurring the cost of the bridge. The costs estimates for the bridge escalated really quick when actual engineering work started so it was eliminated in the final design.

Plus there was concern that the bridge would inhibit LAX's ability to serve bigger aircraft in the future (e.g. proposed A380-900, which may need a taller vertical stabilizer)
I don't think LAWA ran cost estimates for the bridge.

It conducted an engineering study which found that the foundations for the bridge on the east side would be too wide, thus costing TBIT at least one gate.

That study also found that the bridge interfered with the flight envelope (upon rotation) that the FAA prescribes.

(This study was discussed during a board meeting.)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:11 AM

^^^ Oh ok. Still very unfortunate.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 11:24 PM

LAWA Program status report: http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...04)(Final).pdf

Scroll down to page 30... there is a project in the planning stage to implement mode separation on the ring road to reduce traffic. They are calling it "single level busing" but the description is classic mode separation. The plan is to have rental car shuttles use upper level only and hotel shuttles use lower level only. Not sure where this leaves taxi, vans, FlyAway and the LAX shuttles. Any plan to reduce or eliminate double circulation at LAX is a good plan.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:30 AM

Interesting conversation I had with a client today who travels a lot. Makes you wonder just how many regular people are noticing design flaws.

He said "If LAX got rid of the mid section roads that allows everybody to loop around endlessly, and force people to leave and come back once they are out of the loop, The traffic flow into and out of LAX would be much smoother"

I said " true but then we'll have idiots driving at a snails pace waiting for their pickups and they'll irritate us even more"

He said " that may be the case but people respond quickly to change, especially when its negative, make coming to LAX more of a hassle than it already is and people will never want to come to the damn place unless they are coming or going".

Makes you wonder.....Who was the brain behind the idea of letting people loop and loop and loop around again. The mid section roads/ upper deck cause ways make this situation even worse. Waiting for my ride recently, I watched the same lime green car loop around 7 times. I counted. Cant miss it because of how bright it was and how clueless the driver looked.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:17 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
" that may be the case but people respond quickly to change, especially when its negative, make coming to LAX more of a hassle than it already is and people will never want to come to the damn place unless they are coming or going".
This is not a good idea. Why in the world would anyone think that making it HARDER to do your business at LAX would make it more efficient?

People looping on LAX are waiting to pick up a passenger. That's why they loop. Want to make that more convenient? How about we build better people-mover systems that can move individuals who have landed to a location that is easier for someone to pick them up? Alternatively, create better holding areas for people to sit in their cars (instead of looping) while they wait to receive the call from whomever it is that they are waiting for?

Last edited by SD_Phil; Jul 29, 2016 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 10:02 PM

^^^ I agree with you. But at the same time, its not like we can avoid LAX, like lowering the convenience factor a notch will make people drive to SF for a plane ride, because as of right now, No other airport in the area has the same amount of flights, especially international, options available. Not Long Beach, not Bob Hope, Not Ontario, not even SD.

But that being said, Yeah obviously a people mover and other things will help. What needs to happen is a drop off area that is no where near the central loop. The amount of times I've heard people say

"I need to get to LAX early to beat traffic to pick up ______"

So they go to the airport early, sit in the long line of traffic and loop around endlessly before their pick up has even landed. Not knowing they are part of the traffic problem. Every time I fly in and out, if I must have someone pick me up, I don't let them know I'm ready until ive actually landed. Waiting an extra 10-15 minutes wont hurt anybody.

The Loop needs to be for Buses/Taxis/uber/Limos and private cars for the rich and famous and political figures.

Everybody else need to be pushed (via people mover) some where else like the future rental car complex thing. We cant keep expecting the loop to be able to handle 70+ million people on its own.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
People looping on LAX are waiting to pick up a passenger. That's why they loop. Want to make that more convenient? How about we build better people-mover systems that can move individuals who have landed to a location that is easier for someone to pick them up? Alternatively, create better holding areas for people to sit in their cars (instead of looping) while they wait to receive the call from whomever it is that they are waiting for?
We already have a cell phone waiting lot but no one uses it. Why? Because there is no cost to endlessly loop and create traffic congestion.

There is only one way to ease traffic at LAX. Or rather there is only one way to ease traffic anywhere, period. You charge people for using the road (especially inefficient use of road).

I've outlined some very basic and low cost steps LAWA can do to make significant improvements to the traffic flow but I'm just a random nobody on the internet. To summarize...

1. Implement mode separation with FlyAway bus, hotel and rental car shuttle, and uber all using the upper roadway and private cars and taxi using the lower road way. This will eliminate 50% of the bus and shuttle traffic and reduce congestion. The current system where each bus or shuttle makes two circles once it enter ring road is completely idiotic and a gross waste of road space.

2. Install license plate readers at ring road entrance and charge drivers a fee for continuously circle the loop while waiting to pickup people rather than using the cell phone waiting lot - i.e. if you enter the ring road for a 2nd time within 1 hour, you will be charged a toll that is the same as 1 hour of parking in the CTA garages. So the choice is clear... you wait outside the airport until the person you want to pickup is at curb side, or you park in the garage and take your car off the ring road.

3. Add electronic parking toll collection lanes (i.e. using Fastrak transponder) at CTA parking lots and reconfigure the exit road so when you exit the garages, you are funneled directly to Sepulveda instead of back to the ring roads.

4. Add some amenities to the cell phone waiting lot - maybe a Starbucks or Coffee Bean to encourage people to hang out there.

And once the APM and the two inter-modal transit centers are in operation, LAWA should charge ALL private vehicles a toll for entering the ring road during peak hours with some exceptions (e.g. handicap license plates). If you don't want to pay a toll, just drop off and pick up from either of the 2 APM stations/inter-modal transit centers.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 29, 2016 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 2:57 AM

^^^ And that as well.

Lowering the ability of people to loop around endlessly wont hurt business at all. LAX is the largest/busiest airport west of Denver. Making it harder to loop will just make people think smarter since LAX is literally their only viable option. And for those who only need to get around the west and south west and other sparse locations, LB airport, John Wayne, Bob Hope and Ontario are there. Its time people utilize the other airports for shorter flights.

The best way to do this, in my opinion, would be to tear down the center parking structures that are inside the loop, convert that entire area into a "central" terminal" for TSA do all of their security screenings and other things, also make it the hub for a people mover that will shuffle people to a different area where they can wait for their rides/cars there. I would make the loop strictly for Buses/Taxis/Uber/limos and cars driven by personal drivers for the very rich, famous and political figures (since they will already have a tacked on fee for using this luxury).

For everybody else who wants to use the loops just for shits and giggles and convenience, please feel free to pay the $10 toll. Using a people mover wont hurt anybody. The problem with LA officials is that they feel Angelenos wont work well with this method.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 31, 2016 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 6:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Nothing substantial to report on the progress of the APM, but the five teams vying for the opportunity to build and operate it are the following:

Quote:
• Gateway Connectors, with lead contractors Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. and Skanska USA Civil West California District Inc.

• LA Connext Partners, led by Ferrovial Agroman US Corp. and Bechtel Infrastructure Corp.

• LAX Connecting Alliance, led by OHL USA Inc. (doing business as Group OHL USA Inc.), Acciona Infraestructuras, S.A. and Charles Pankow Builders Ltd.

• LINXS, led by Fluor Enterprises Inc., Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Inc., Flatiron West Inc. and Dragados USA Inc.

• PWA, led by Walsh Construction Co. II, LLC, Granite Construction Co. and URS Energy & Construction Inc.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...e-mover-at-lax

Also, here are some new(ish)/higher-quality renderings of the draft designs:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:53 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 7/8 renovation progress. This will be the consolidated 12-lane security checkpoint.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation