HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 12:05 AM

the beacon appeared to be blinking just before, along with the FAA lights

Last edited by Hudson11; May 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:01 AM

How long will it now take to install the LED lights, then remove the temporary platforms, cranes and doghouse?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the beacon appeared to be blinking just before, along with the FAA lights

Beautiful! Just Beautiful

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:14 AM

I really have no words for anyone criticizing this building.. Okay so Durst went cheap with scrapping the Radome.. but who cares? these workers put their blood and sweat into this tower sometimes working 24/7! Have some respect and appreciate the hard work that has been put in to make this building! I think I have a lot of support for this statement!

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:19 AM

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
How long will it now take to install the LED lights, then remove the temporary platforms, cranes and doghouse?
I think the ones toward the top are installed. Would be cool to have them working for memorial weekend.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:48 AM
Norman Yen ♥ NY

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:48 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Forgive me for no knowing, but when they raised the final piece with that flag, was that the original flag that was saved from the world trade center site the one that was all tore up? I couldn't tell because the flag seemed perfectly still so it was hard to tell.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:57 AM
Norman Yen ♥ NY

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:59 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
I really have no words for anyone criticizing this building.. Okay so Durst went cheap with scrapping the Radome.. but who cares? these workers put their blood and sweat into this tower sometimes working 24/7! Have some respect and appreciate the hard work that has been put in to make this building! I think I have a lot of support for this statement!
I am not of the ones criticizing this building, although I do think that it would be better with the radome. But I don't understand how criticizing some of the decisions made on this building, or even the entire design of it, could be disrespectful to the workers that build it. From that point of view you can't criticize a single building built on this earth, because all of them were built with the hard work of their workers.
If anybody has a hard criticism of Durst's decision of scrapping the radome, if something is trashing Durst, not the workers.
And I guess that even many of the workers themselves could be piss off because of the decision of taking away the radome cheapens their building

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Forgive me for no knowing, but when they raised the final piece with that flag, was that the original flag that was saved from the world trade center site the one that was all tore up? I couldn't tell because the flag seemed perfectly still so it was hard to tell.
I don't believe it was. I was watching the live feed and it looked like a normal american flag to me. I didn't look torn at all. I believe it is still up there too. I saw it on earthcam yesterday blowing in the wind.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
I am not of the ones criticizing this building, although I do think that it would be better with the radome. But I don't understand how criticizing some of the decisions made on this building, or even the entire design of it, could be disrespectful to the workers that build it. From that point of view you can't criticize a single building built on this earth, because all of them were built with the hard work of their workers.
If anybody has a hard criticism of Durst's decision of scrapping the radome, if something is trashing Durst, not the workers.
And I guess that even many of the workers themselves could be piss off because of the decision of taking away the radome cheapens their building
Exactly; criticizing Durst's decisions and criticizing the workers are two very different things. I prefer the radome design and it's never too late to implement it, so there's still hope (do you remember the original antenna atop the north tower? Hideous, but they eventually replaced it).

Look on the bright side fellas, could you imagine how awful it would have been had they constructed the original "Freedom Tower" design?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:04 AM
Bostonian

NormanY, thank you for those photos. They are stunning and I even felt myself getting a little emotional.

Seems like base cladding is progressing slowly based on those shots. Are they only working one side at a time still?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
Now that I've had some time to take in 1 world trade center as a nearly completed building...

I think it's a decent building. It's not bad, but not great either. The spire seems awkwardly big for the building...the facade (while high quality glass) isn't particularly beautiful...and the transition from the base to tower is also awkward....

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I'm happy is coming close to completion...and I think it will be great for NYC. But I was hoping for something 8+ out of 10 or better.
It's not even done yet, and the base is yet to be done as well as the fins aren't even opened yet, you might get that 8+ out of 10 when all is done.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:58 AM

I like how the spire looks. Very unexpecting considering its such a modern looking tower. Would have seemed more fitting without anything on top. I think it will look its best in cloudy/gloomy shots or gothic style movies.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:32 AM

After seeing the spire completed, I feel that it looks out of place. Durst or who ever thought it was a good idea to remove the radome were very mistaken. David Childs is the architect, not Durst and it shows. Durst really dropped the ball on the looks of this billion dollar tower. You guys have to be brainwashed to think this tower looks better than what Childs intended. Durst made a major mistake architecturally by removing the glass radome. Now that the spire is finished it's no going back. This tower is glass from top to bottom and that metal spire just really looks out of place, hope we don't see rust stains. Thanks Mr. Durst.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 11:21 AM

I'm guessing they need to remove the big crane and platform to put the guys in. The original tower crane should be able to handle that.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC=WTC View Post
After seeing the spire completed, I feel that it looks out of place. Durst or who ever thought it was a good idea to remove the radome were very mistaken. David Childs is the architect, not Durst and it shows. Durst really dropped the ball on the looks of this billion dollar tower. You guys have to be brainwashed to think this tower looks better than what Childs intended. Durst made a major mistake architecturally by removing the glass radome. Now that the spire is finished it's no going back. This tower is glass from top to bottom and that metal spire just really looks out of place, hope we don't see rust stains. Thanks Mr. Durst.
This is not the 1st time a building in NYC has an open steel spire on it. Rust is no more an issue here then at any other spire in NYC.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:11 PM
don't *meddle*...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive