HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 7:39 PM

NRT resumed this week, and it seems the same 787 is operating the YYC-NRT-YYC turns for the whole week. The WS long-haul schedule is now at 19x weekly.

Also FCO now goes daily one week earlier.

Additionally DTW, AUS, PDX, BCN, DUB all resume later this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Well UA finally reverted IAD back to seasonal. AC also reverted YVR-IAD to seasonal at the same time.
It was odd, given the summer flights end in September then there was a random one month gap and they randomly resumed. Be interesting to know if their bookings are better or worse then last year.

UA also made a few equipment changes for the summer, but given how often it changes I won't be bothered to summarize.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:25 AM
Scam Artist

Had an interesting discussion with a WS guy who made it clear that NRT is basically their #1 priority in terms of what comes first in the event of operational constraints this summer. If 6 of the 7 frames go down, NRT will be the remaining one that operates.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:15 PM

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ick-with-intro

WS adding 2x weekly YFC starting June 20th. It’s YYC’s sixth destination in Atlantic Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
Had an interesting discussion with a WS guy who made it clear that NRT is basically their #1 priority in terms of what comes first in the event of operational constraints this summer. If 6 of the 7 frames go down, NRT will be the remaining one that operates.
WS also sent its own employees to NRT to assist with the operation for a few months too. I’d imagine ICN will also get priority too.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
WS also sent its own employees to NRT to assist with the operation for a few months too. I’d imagine ICN will also get priority too.
It's interesting - at first I thought this was because NRT was highest revenue, but if their Europe flights are delayed or cancelled, isn't this a big hit for them with the European compensation requirements? It's tough to recover in peak summer if you cancel a whole flight because your frame went mechanical in NRT.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
It's interesting - at first I thought this was because NRT was highest revenue, but if their Europe flights are delayed or cancelled, isn't this a big hit for them with the European compensation requirements? It's tough to recover in peak summer if you cancel a whole flight because your frame went mechanical in NRT.
To me Asia would have to be top priority. Some of the Europe flights can be re routed through YYZ, YHZ, YYT or maybe they can put another 737 on the route?? Asia has zero alternatives.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
To me Asia would have to be top priority. Some of the Europe flights can be re routed through YYZ, YHZ, YYT or maybe they can put another 737 on the route?? Asia has zero alternatives.
I suppose that's true - you could downgrade to two 7M8s with a technical stop in YYT to get to LHR, EDI, DUB, or CDG.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:58 AM
Scam Artist

In peak season there are not 2 free 7M8 sitting in Calgary immediately available to do a YYC-YYT-DUB turn in the event of a tech issue so while it's possible, in practice it wouldn't happen.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ick-with-intro

WS adding 2x weekly YFC starting June 20th. It’s YYC’s sixth destination in Atlantic Canada.

I guess that leaves us with only YQY left to be added.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
In peak season there are not 2 free 7M8 sitting in Calgary immediately available to do a YYC-YYT-DUB turn in the event of a tech issue so while it's possible, in practice it wouldn't happen.
That's going to make for an interesting summer then. Because while Transport Canada DGAF about holding airlines accountable, the EU will allow all of the claims and expect WestJet to pay up. Who knows maybe they'll even fine WestJet for not planning properly.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Like with the 789 going down last week on the PVR run. I’m sure WS planning dept. can move some frames around. They found that Swoop frame (which is -800) that they could swap on one of the MAX8 routes. With as tight as the Dreamliner schedule is and the rules Europe has, interesting things might happen🤔

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:13 AM
Scam Artist

That 789 was down for a week and adjustments were made in advance. It's also not peak season.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
That 789 was down for a week and adjustments were made in advance. It's also not peak season.
I’m aware that this isn’t peak season. It certainly will be peak season come June. The schedule for 789’s is much tighter this year compared to last Summer. The frames are a year older and there isn’t much slack. They are going to have to get creative if they have another week long of down time. Putting their head in the sand isn’t a economical solution

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
I guess that leaves us with only YQY left to be added.
I hope so! Cape Breton Island is such a beautiful place!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:13 AM

Has YQY had regular jet service in the last 15 years? 7000' isn't much runway for a 737-7 going across the country. Another question is does Westjet fly anywhere that doesn't have at least an FSS on location? YQY is RAAS (Remote Airport Advisory Service) from YYG. I can't think of another Westjet destination that doesn't have "eyes on the runway." Closest would be Dawson Creek with Pacific Coastal on Westjet Link.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Has YQY had regular jet service in the last 15 years? 7000' isn't much runway for a 737-7 going across the country. Another question is does Westjet fly anywhere that doesn't have at least an FSS on location? YQY is RAAS (Remote Airport Advisory Service) from YYG. I can't think of another Westjet destination that doesn't have "eyes on the runway." Closest would be Dawson Creek with Pacific Coastal on Westjet Link.
Yes remote advisory is common across the west when towers are closed. YLW uses Pentiction radio, frequently causing delays at night when only one plane can be on approach. Kamloops has to sort out everyone's flow from YYJ for YVR and SEA in the mornings. YXX uses Cranbrook, YMM is peace river. Nanaimo is just MF when FSS closes. Out east all I can think of is YFC becoming St John radio and of course YQY.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:47 PM

WS has begun to make adjustments to the winter 787 schedule. BCN has been extended to November 17 and increased to 2x weekly in November. Curious if this route will also be resumed in late March/early April.

Also YYC has posted its March stats, and for the first time in a while, domestic numbers are down compared to 2023:

Domestic: 896,576 -3.2% (YTD: 2,614,694 +3..4%)
Transborder: 304,412 +11.3% (YTD: 845,636 +17.1%)
International: 210,669 +9.4% (YTD: 605,371 +8.4%)

March 2024 Total: 1,411,657 +1.4%
2024 YTD: 4,065,701 +6.75%

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It’s Sydney, Nova Scotia. 999 times out of a thousand, the runway is clear. hence why no TWR or FSS on site.

And 7,000ft of runway is about 1,500ft more than the -700 series needs to takeoff at MTOW out of YQY, and this at 30C temps.

It only needs about 5,200ft at 15C.

Don’t let the takeoff rolls you see at YYC fool you.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Don’t let the takeoff rolls you see at YYC fool you.
What are you talking about!? Isn't 9000' til airborne standard for an NG?

Peytol, you make a good point about after hours ops at smaller markets. There's a whole smorgasboard of remote units outside of normal hours.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 3:49 PM

YYJ is under 7000' and has a flight to CUN, so 7000 should be fine for a YQY-YYC. Winter time would be a different story, but it would be summer seasonal anyways.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:14 PM
Scam Artist

Takeoff roll would be shorter in the colder air, in fact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure