HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I actually bought a $300 laptop at best buy just to run it since I have a Mac. Surprisingly it runs the game flawlessly, despite the games own errors. But it also seems to run adobe cs6 without hitches either. I guess they build cheap computers better nowadays or maybe it will just blow up on me in a year.

Xing, I confess. I had a bunch of people over last Thursday to play the game like a bunch of nerds. You should've come by. At least it was a Thursday so it wasn't like we were total losers
Really ??!! For that price? I forgot how much the bad economy brought down the price of computers.i might just have to find a New one. I also need one to run photoshop, my own has been causing tense situations at work with its slow response.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:48 AM

For what it's worth, I just bought a cheap Asus laptop for $300. Ironically it was pretty much just to play SC3K. It is the BIGGEST piece of shit. It can't even run a 12 year old game. It is incredibly slow and even if I could put up with the nearly impossible gameplay, it crashes within a few minutes. Not to mention the Internet is slow as fuck, YouTube lags like a motherfucker, it doesn't play DVDs (I should say it used to play DVDs, then I "upgraded" to Windows 8), it just sucks all around.

Please, I beg you, do not waste your money on a $300 PC. Also, Windows 8 is garbage.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
For what it's worth, I just bought a cheap Asus laptop for $300. Ironically it was pretty much just to play SC3K. It is the BIGGEST piece of shit. It can't even run a 12 year old game. It is incredibly slow and even if I could put up with the nearly impossible gameplay, it crashes within a few minutes. Not to mention the Internet is slow as fuck, YouTube lags like a motherfucker, it doesn't play DVDs (I should say it used to play DVDs, then I "upgraded" to Windows 8), it just sucks all around.

Please, I beg you, do not waste your money on a $300 PC. Also, Windows 8 is garbage.
Well. I bought mine as a backup...as an excuse for buying simcity. It just so happened to run heavy files on cs6 despite that it doesn't meet their optimum performance spec. I did for sc5 though. And I have all settings turned up.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:49 PM

I've been holding off on buying it due to the release issues and tiny city sizes but you guys are making me want to get it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well. I bought mine as a backup...as an excuse for buying simcity. It just so happened to run heavy files on cs6 despite that it doesn't meet their optimum performance spec. I did for sc5 though. And I have all settings turned up.
Please le me know what computer that is. I might need something good for work and sim city.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:16 AM
They all float down here

Another city I started because, you know, I like to see how different I can grow a city. This one took much longer to grow than my other two cities and developed similarly to a small river town. Lately it's started taking off with some skyscrapers, so, it's finally turning into something.

Here's the city during the beginning states of its development:

Downtown started out very quaint.

Originally, there were only a few mid-rises.

An aerial of the city as it begins really taking shape.

The sun sets on the city, engulfing the downtown skyline.

Finally, after years of small development, my city welcomes its first residential high-rise - just outside downtown and next to the University.

Not too long after, another residential tower begins development.

[img]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/23...3_19-04-42.png[/mg]

It compliments the first fairly well ... but both really dominate the skyline.

Eventually, the skyline grows taller, as the city welcomes its first commercial tower.

Further construction creates a pretty impressive skyline for this small town.

Night falls on the city.

The new skyline.

A downtown street.

Residential area just outside downtown.

And to put into perspective the growth...

THEN

NOW

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:23 PM

Only a Sim City geek would make another Hitler video years well after it lost its clout. Lol

Btw, how's the multiplayer on this? I've been playing alone. All the regions I find are full, or have abandoned cities with expansions I don't have. Username : xing979 , if you have room for another player.

Or maybe we can setup a region for this thread?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Only a Sim City geek would make another Hitler video years well after it lost its clout. Lol

Btw, how's the multiplayer on this? I've been playing alone. All the regions I find are full, or have abandoned cities with expansions I don't have. Username : xing979 , if you have room for another player.

Or maybe we can setup a region for this thread?
I'd like to create a region for SSP folks. It's hard as hell to find an open region, so, I've had to go through all the different servers looking before stumbling upon a region with a vacancy.

I find it much easier to build and develop in a region than alone because you're often piggybacking off other people's success. I know it sounds lazy, but if you're going it alone, it could prove difficult to build a sustainable city (though, in the long run, maybe it's easier).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:32 PM

Has EA fixed most of its bugs in the game yet?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:22 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verttoit View Post
Has EA fixed most of its bugs in the game yet?
No but EA has fixed the biggest issue of them all!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...iello-resigns/

Quote:
Polygon has obtained the internal memo Riccitiello sent to Probst regarding his resignation. It states that the "tough" decision to leave was borne of a desire for accountability to shareholders.
"This is a tough decision, but it all comes down to accountability. The progress EA has made on transitioning to digital games and services is something I'm extremely proud of. However, it currently looks like we will come in at the low end of, or slightly below, the financial guidance we issued in January, and we have fallen short of the internal operating plan we set one year ago. EA's shareholders and employees expect better and I am accountable for the miss."
I wonder how much of the Simcity debacle contributed to this!

Just to remind you what would have been in store for Simcity games...

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:34 AM
I am a typical

I got an email today saying that to make up for the server issues, they are offering a free game download to anyone who has purchased Sim City from the Origin network. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to see if people who got trial codes can snag a free copy.

It's going until March 25th.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 1:43 AM
I am a typical

Postcards from an Empty City: The Purgatorial Dreamscape of Screaming Beard

So what happens when you demolish most of your city? The degree to which SimCity focuses on the lives of individuals within the city results in an absurdly entertaining narrative.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:06 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I want this game badly. Alas, I am too busy this month to start a new addiction.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:12 PM

Even with the bugs, small building space and lack of support for this great game I'm not sold. It looks small, childish and not as realistic. I though the visuals would appear to be more stunning than just this.

I can't be the only one that thinks that Cities XL is just a far superior city stimulator than Sim City?

I'll get it when it drops to 5$ or less at this rate. Too many negatives and few positives.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:55 PM

I've actually started playing SC4 again, its absolutely astonishing the mods and buildings some people have produced. There is even a 'census' program for cities/regions.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 5:34 PM

I have to sacrifice a major slow down in my computer to take pictures that look good.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 12:35 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
I've actually started playing SC4 again, its absolutely astonishing the mods and buildings some people have produced. There is even a 'census' program for cities/regions.
We've had that since 2005....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 6:28 AM

Xing, your city has a fire problem
Xing, your city has a sewage problem
XING, YOUR CITY HAS A FIRE PROBLEM
XING, YOUR CITY HAS A SEWAGE PROBLEM
zone more residential......

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 5:07 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verttoit View Post
I can't be the only one that thinks that Cities XL is just a far superior city stimulator than Sim City?
Just about. Cities XL is akin to Photoshop for Cities: it looks pretty, but there's nothing underneath the hood that could actually be considered a simulator.

I've been enjoying the new SimCity thus far, despite some of the dubious design choices, but the size of the cities has gotten to me and left me to take a step back for a bit. Though the angst of the neckbeards has been keeping me amused.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art