HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
One from this afternoon by me:

^ It is interesting to see the progress. The tallest section of this building will be 47 meters high, about the height of a 15 storey apartment building and almost as tall as the 49 meter high Citadel Hotel redevelopment.

Here is an image showing the inside of the Ultra Hall. (source: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...9&e=902a1848c9). Is part of the steel framing for the tallest section?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:04 AM

Look at images of the BAE Scotstoun on the Clyde and you will see how Irving is copying the construction halls which are common in Europe.
A week after the article Irving was in Glasgow with a job fair to recruit project managers etc.

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2014/feb/bae-clyde.cfm

Engineering and Technology Magazine, article by Ed Gent, February 7 2014

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
^ It is interesting to see the progress. The tallest section of this building will be 47 meters high, about the height of a 15 storey apartment building and almost as tall as the 49 meter high Citadel Hotel redevelopment.

Here is an image showing the inside of the Ultra Hall. (source: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...9&e=902a1848c9). Is part of the steel framing for the tallest section?

The verticle columns without horizontal trusses will make up the taller section. There will likely be another set of verticle supports before the trusses on top.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 9:07 PM

As an outside thought what's are the odds these new facilities could be used to build a small jump jet carrier? This is a hypothetical question. I'm not a naval architect or engineer I'm just curious about the maximum size of vessel you could squeeze out of the new yards.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 1:51 AM

A small amphibious ship comes in at about 200m in length. If you remember the French Mistral-class that was in harbour a couple of years ago, that would be a good example. The French where shopping the design around for buyers. There are two under construction in France for Russia right now, but those may get tied up if the political situation escalates any further, so possibly a cheap buy for us, if we wanted them. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd be quite happy to do a technology transfer (they already sold the plans to the Russians who will be building more after the two French ones arrive).

Australia is currently building two LHDs in the 230m range based on a Spanish design.

By comparison, a large frigate or destroyer, the classes the new surface combatant built in Halifax is expected to replace, would be about 125-150m.

The new replenishment ships being built in BC will be about 177m (Based on the German Berlin class).

Not actually sure what the new Irving facilities are being built to handle.

The drydock is 257m, and the new production facility is 47m, so I think that would be big enough, but not entirely sure.

Last edited by Phalanx; Mar 31, 2014 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:56 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
A small amphibious ship comes in at about 200m in length. If you remember the French Mistral-class that was in harbour a couple of years ago, that would be a good example. The French where shopping the design around for buyers. There are two under construction in France for Russia right now, but those may get tied up if the political situation escalates any further, so possibly a cheap buy for us, if we wanted them. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd be quite happy to do a technology transfer (they already sold the plans to the Russians who will be building more after the two French ones arrive).

Australia is currently building two LHDs in the 230m range based on a Spanish design.

By comparison, a large frigate or destroyer, the classes the new surface combatant built in Halifax is expected to replace, would be about 125-150m.

The new replenishment ships being built in BC will be about 177m (Based on the German Berlin class).

Not actually sure what the new Irving facilities are being built to handle.

The drydock is 257m, and the new production facility is 47m, so I think that would be big enough, but not entirely sure.
my understanding was that the new facility was going to be large enough for 2 frigates side by side . it will certainly let them do more assembly work indoors - as they should now have the head height to attach superstructure to the hull without rolling the ship out first.

Look at this video of the Atlantic Condor build (1:30 mark) - the hull barely fit, and the superstructure was added Outdoors.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:25 AM

Today:

Last edited by kph06; Apr 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:42 AM

I snapped a photo from the MacDonald Bridge Bikeway today but I won't show it out of respect for kph06.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_...x/13766396814/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:48 AM
Honored Member

Thank you kph06 and Dmajackson. The two pictures indicate the sheer size of the new Ultra-Hall, especially considering that the tallest section still has a long ways to go upwards.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I snapped a photo from the MacDonald Bridge Bikeway today but I won't show it out of respect for kph06.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_...x/13766396814/
Don't mind me, you had a great shot. It's a tough project to get a good vantage point for, your location will likely be the best one (other than a plane) once things really get going down there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:39 AM
we built this city

Whoa... this thing is massive!

How come they didn't have to go through a public approval process

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 10:59 AM

It's toooooooo tall!
Shorten it by a couple of stories.
Save the view!
Think of the children.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:00 PM

I drove by it for the first time last week and was surprised by how large it really is. It's very good to see this one progress, it will be a big boost to our local economy when this gets going!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 8:55 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
It's toooooooo tall!
Shorten it by a couple of stories.
Save the view!
Think of the children.
lol, we don't want these jobs!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:22 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Whoa... this thing is massive!

How come they didn't have to go through a public approval process
I realize your being facetious but for those who are wondering; since the property is zoned for the use, and there are no variances to what is allowed via the zoning bylaw (encroachment a on setbacks etc), all they need is a building permit

Under the old rules, the pier expansion required a federal environmental assessment, but it was stopped when the rules were changed a year or 2 ago.
This was how I was able to get the plans for pier9d
http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...at-pier-9.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 12:25 AM

Took this one today:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:51 AM
armchairitect

No photo, but they have started erecting the plate shop in Dartmouth. Same sort of construction, but not as tall.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:22 PM
armchairitect

got a photo of the new plate shop in Dartmouth last night.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:29 AM

From the weekend:

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:41 AM

Here's one a friend sent me yesterday:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy