HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
Proud Homer!

Port of East St. Louis & America's Central Port

This is kind of old news, but Illinois is working on improving its river ports - particularly ones in the Metro East area - East St. Louis (Port of East St. Louis) and Granite City (America's Central Port). Projects are under construction.

Port of East St. Louis, Illinois
See Port of East St. Louis rendering

Video Link

October, 2010

Governor Pat Quinn today announced $8 million to redevelop a 200-acre former industrial site on the Mississippi River to clear the way to build the Port of East St. Louis and help another local company expand. This investment will create approximately 65 jobs and is funded through the River Edge Redevelopment Zone program. When completed, the multi-modal Port of East St. Louis will create approximately 1,200 direct and indirect jobs.

“Today’s announcement will help East St. Louis create a world-class transportation facility in the heart of the Metro East area,” said Governor Quinn. “The River Edge program allows us to clean up areas that have suffered from years of neglect and turn them into economic engines, creating jobs and boosting Illinois’ continued economic recovery.”

The city of East St. Louis will receive a $5 million River Edge Development Zone grant to build a north entrance into the port, including turn lanes, ramps and a branch of the main loop. Slay Industries and Kinder Morgan together will receive $2 million to redevelop approximately 200 acres for the Port of East St. Louis. The first phase of construction is expected to cost $35 million. When completed, the port will support increased commercial traffic on the Mississippi River, boost the regional economy, and relieve traffic and rail congestion across the Midwest.

Links:

River Edge Redevelopment Zone in East St. Louis
Illinois money backs East St. Louis port

Last edited by Arch City; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Proud Homer!

Progress on the new Mississippi River/I-70 bridge.....

The new yet-to-be named Mississippi bridge carrying Interstate 70 west is chugging along. Lots of progress in recent months. Check out these aerial shots from the Missouri Department of Transportation, flickr photo album.

FYI: The new bridge is going through the industrial riverfronts of St. Louis and East St. Louis (Illinois). The riverfronts are what helped to make St. Louis an industrial and agricultural powerhouse. And to this day, the ports play a major role in metro St. Louis' economy. The Port of St. Louis is the 2nd largest inland port in trip tonnage.

Central corridor (Midtown and Central West End) in background

North Industrial St. Louis Riverfront

The ports of St. Louis

Missouri approach from Illinois

This stretch will be renamed I-44

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:51 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Why are they rerouting I-70?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:09 AM
TL;DR

70, 55, and 64 are multiplexed on the Poplar Street Bridge. There's been a huge focus on upgrading 70 across the Midwest, which includes eliminating congested segments like the one through St. Louis.

Rerouting 70 with a new bridge north of downtown avoids the need for expansion of the expressway trench that cuts downtown St. Louis off from its riverfront. Currently this trench is only 4 lanes wide, which is probably the narrowest urban segment along 70's entire length. Expansion of the trench would be super-costly and it would work against the revival of downtown St. Louis. Maybe in the future, they can even remove that expressway altogether, or use the trench alignment for rail or something.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

There's a lot of support to boulevard that alignment at ground surface (the depressed section), seems like Modot and whomever else isn't listening right now and they are going to put a big lid over the trench, which is a stupid waste of money in my opinion when they could just do it all right.

I have no real reason to not think that the Poplar Street Bridge wont pancake MPLS style, along with the Chain of Rocks (I-270). They are always having to clean up concrete that has just slumped off the center curb off of the rebar like graham cracker crumbs.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:04 PM

Do you think will see any Metrolink extensions over the next decade?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
There's a lot of support to boulevard that alignment at ground surface (the depressed section), seems like Modot and whomever else isn't listening right now and they are going to put a big lid over the trench, which is a stupid waste of money in my opinion when they could just do it all right.

I have no real reason to not think that the Poplar Street Bridge wont pancake MPLS style, along with the Chain of Rocks (I-270). They are always having to clean up concrete that has just slumped off the center curb off of the rebar like graham cracker crumbs.
Well, filling in the trench seems like a waste when excavation is so expensive. They could use the underground space for transit purposes or an expansion of the Arch museum. If they were to close the highway, they could fill in with geofoam and spread soil on the top. The geofoam would be easy to remove later.

I still think y'all were insane to fill in the Tucker Avenue tunnel. It was perfect for a second light-rail line, since it was originally designed for that purpose. Now the north-south line will have to run in the streets, which won't be very fun when there's a Cards game letting out.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Do you think will see any Metrolink extensions over the next decade?
I've heard people from E-W Gateway (St. Louis' MPO) and CMT (a local transit advocacy group) say St. Louis could potentially get one more light rail line by 2020, but after that we would be tapped out.

Personally I dont see it happening unless we get more funding from the state of Missouri (very strong rural/urban divide in this state) or the Feds decide to change their policies on public transit funding (not too hopeful).

I do know that the next extension is going to be either the Westport (suburban park and ride line) or the North-South Line (true urban light rail with the greatest potential). The studies are further along on the N-S Line, but the Westport line is a lot more politically feasible for some reason.

Currently Metro is working on providing better service, modernizing the fare system, and planning for TOD. I've heard rumors about BRT, but I'm personally skeptical of the final product.

St. Louis has a long way to go and will likely see piecemeal improvements or expansions over the next few decades, unless we get significant outside help. I'm personally very envious of what is happening in Denver, Salt Lake City, and Dallas, but recognize St. Louis is a slow growth region trying to redefine itself.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:17 PM

So you only see the North - South line going through? What about the Northside Rail?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, filling in the trench seems like a waste when excavation is so expensive. They could use the underground space for transit purposes or an expansion of the Arch museum. If they were to close the highway, they could fill in with geofoam and spread soil on the top. The geofoam would be easy to remove later.

I still think y'all were insane to fill in the Tucker Avenue tunnel. It was perfect for a second light-rail line, since it was originally designed for that purpose. Now the north-south line will have to run in the streets, which won't be very fun when there's a Cards game letting out.
Incidentally, I believe that at least part of the Tucker Ave tunnel was filled in with foam blocks.

post dispatch

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

So you only see the North - South line going through? What about the Northside Rail?
Northside Line is actually the same line as the Southside Line. Together it is referred to as the Northside-Southside Line or N-S Line or North-South Line etc.

courtesy of EW Gateway

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:11 PM

I don't like LRT running on Interstate ROW that usually means lower ridership , however the Street running will boost ridership. Since this is the first street running segment are they buying low floor trains?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:21 PM
Proud Homer!

Good to know Missouri's legislators are still trying to work this out. If passed, I hope it isn't too little incentives and too late for the Chinese. This essentially amounts to $7.5-million a year for freight forwarders.

(Source)

Tax credits under China Hub plan head to MO house
St. Louis Business Journal
Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 7:08am CST -
Last Modified: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 7:21am CST

The Missouri House committee on economic development passed tax credits for freight forwarders, which was part of the China Hub proposal last legislative session, KMOX reports. The bill is designed to attract businesses to ship their products out of St. Louis rather than Midwest competitors like Chicago, and tax credits would have a cap of $60 million dollars over eight years.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:43 PM
Proud Homer!

New signs and sidewalks in Grand Center Arts District

New blue signage markers as well as new sidewalks being installed around Grand Center.

From Grand Center, Inc.
News: We're Black & Blue All Over

"Another big step in the process to unify the look of the district comes this November/December. Each of the existing green street signs will be replaced with signs that incorporate our signature black and blue colors branded with the words "Grand Center." The funding for this project came through the AARA federal funds that were awarded last year which also are providing the new sidewalks along Grand Blvd."

photo by pasa, flickr.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

That signage looks great...very tasteful. So many signage/branding attempts fail because they are over-designed and the end result is tacky- this is not one of those situations. A perfect example of restraint and "less-is-more" approach. Very nice.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 5:45 PM

Yeah, that does look good.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:59 AM
Proud Homer!

St. Louis CSX Site

In January 2012, the CSX Railroad, which westernmost point ends in St. Louis, designated a suburban 450-acre Illinois business park as a "CSX Select Site". The designation could spark more development in the business park and surrounding area. Read the tidbit below.

CSX System Map
Source

Earlier this month CSX designated the 439-acre John W. Kelsey Business & Technology Park a 'CSX Select Site' culminating several months of assessment and site analysis in conjunction with the City of Greenville and Austin Consulting. CSX certified the Kelsey Business & Technology Park as one of only five CSX Select Sites currently in the United States.

The program offers customers an easy way to access certified, rail-ready properties for a variety of industrial uses. The CSX Select Site designation indicates "green light" properties along the CSX network where projects can move forward rapidly because all known risk factors have been identified and potential issues resolved.

The Kelsey Business and Technology Park features easy interstate access and service from two Class 1 Railroads as well as daily interchange service from Illinois Western Railroad. The proximity of the Kelsey Business & Technology Park to St. Louis is an attractive feature allowing for quick access to barge and air cargo services while still being located in an environmental attainment area far enough away from metro congestion.

The Kelsey Business & Technology Park is a 45-minute commute to downtown St. Louis and Lambert International Airport as well as ports along the Mississippi River. Located less than one mile from Interstate 70 and less than 30 minutes from Interstates 55 and Interstate 64, the Kelsey Business & Technology Park is quickly becoming a destination for companies seeking a Midwest logistics hub that will enhance supply chain and transportation savings.

CSX Select Sites are the first, premium certified rail-served sites for industrial development and expansion. Select Site certification criteria include size, access to rail services, proximity to highways, workforce availability, natural gas, electricity, water, and wastewater, environmental and geo-technical standards. CSX rail service is environmentally friendly and efficient. Become a CSX partner and discover the service reliability and benefits of advancing your business with a CSX Select Site.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:40 AM
Proud Homer!

Metro's North County Transit Center & Maintenance Facility

I think this is a very good adaptive reuse project. Planet Mazda in North St. Louis County (Ferguson, Missouri) folded - likely because of the recession - so St. Louis Metro (aka Bi-State Development Agency) is going to renovate the property into a transit center and satellite maintenance facility.

According to NextStop, a Metro's transit blog, "Phase I of the project will include renovation of the existing building on the property to include a transfer hub with an indoor, climate-controlled waiting area, park-ride spaces, and other customer amenities. Phase II will meet transit’s longer-term needs for an additional bus garage, bus and van maintenance, and additional dispatch capability.

This will be Metro Transit's seventh MetroBus center and the third with a climate-controlled waiting area." (Source)

What also makes this a steal, in my opinion, is that Metro won't have to seek land to build a new facility and the facility's access to the I-270 beltway loop. It's also good because it helps the retail market in that a vacant retail property is taken off the market.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:16 PM
Proud Homer!

Lambert Video Notebook

See below, two Lambert-International Airport videos - a new marketing video and a new snippet video of Concourse A improvements.

Lambert Video Notebook:
  • Lambert International – St. Louis is on a mission. The airport has launched more business-to-business marketing (check out the video) in an effort to land more cargo, convention business and business flights. The airport is finally re-surging in passenger counts, non-stop flights, larger jet service and cargo.
  • Renovations of Concourse C, which was heavily damaged during the April 2011 tornado, are proceeding. It is estimated that more than $30-million dollars in damage occurred from the April (Good Friday) tornado of 2011. There is still no time table for reopening Concourse C. Bids have gone out to contractors.
  • Lambert also reached a major milestone in its terminal renovations in December 2011 with newly reconfigured checkpoint lanes for B and D Gates (American, Frontier and Cape Air). The concourse and terminal improvements are part of Lambert's $105-million renovation campaign called the Airport Experience Program. Checkpoint modifications/improvements have been completed.
  • New way-finding signage has been placed or replaced (after the tornado) around the airport's access and service roads.
  • New restaurants, some with St. Louis-themes.
  • Concourse A saw a dramatic change in 2011 with new tile in the central corridor, new circular lighting, brighter ceilings, new carpet, new signage, new digital directories and fully renovated restrooms. All restrooms feature ADA-compliant counters, restroom stalls and restroom fixtures along with new lighting, new tile wall surfaces and terrazzo flooring.
  • Lambert has unveiled the new backdrop to American Airlines' redesigned ticketing area in Terminal 1. American's new ticket counters and self service kiosks have been installed. New LED lighting, flooring, bathroom upgrades, new baggage claim improvements etc.
  • The airport has installed new installed or recommissioned artwork throughout the concourses and Terminal 1 - some interactive.
  • Southwest Airlines just announced four new daily non-stop flights to begin this summer to New York LaGuardia and San Antonio; and Lambert recorded passenger gains in 2011.
  • Passenger carrier departures were up 2.5 percent over 2010. The Airport also saw a 4.1 percent increase in landed weight. General aviation traffic also saw an increase of three percent in 2011. The amount of air cargo lifted out of St. Louis increased more than one percent in 2011, as well.
  • Lambert won Airport of The Year in 2011 from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) , and Travel + Leisure magazine ranked Lambert-St. Louis International Airport as the nation's 13th safest airport. Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge, Director of the Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, received the prestigious 2011 Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) Chairman's Award for her handling to the tornado crisis.

The Journey (Lambert-International Airport Marketing Video)
Video Link

A snippet of Concourse A renovations
Video Link

Recent Interview with St. Louis-Lambert's Airport Director
Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by Arch City; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:15 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Nice lights. Bad tile.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation