HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:22 PM
BANNED

They may have to divide the space.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:01 PM

Here is an interesting link, re Amazon + Whole Foods. An analyst talking similar to me own thinking, the deal isn't so much about maintaining the status quo for Whole Foods but bringing Amazon closer to customers door steps and using those locations as hyper localized warehouses.

This could really upend the retail market. Imagine Amazon using deep predictive heuristics to ship your weekly grocery order to the Whole Foods (or Sears Canada) nearest you and you don't need to do anything but you can add/subtract items at no charge at pickup. They could also change the "free shipping" from Amazon to be to their store instead of to your door.

So many opportunities with the Whole Foods play and Sears Canada as a real estate play presents a similar opportunity for them in Canada.

Source

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:09 AM

Maybe if Sears actually bothered to do anything with the GC location then it would be performing better.

Perhaps Marshalls & Home Sense will jump in, last I checked they were interested in the area. They could go the route of the KP Target space.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:19 PM

Sears did try to make GC work, that is just the thing. It was an Outlet store then they cleared everything out and closed down half the store at a time to undertake a major reno to bring it back to being a mainline store. Then at some point not too long after it quietly started drifting back to being the Outlet store it is now.

Sort of interesting part of the Sears Canada vision announced within about the last three months was to essentially convert about 50% of the floor space in every store into a Sears Outlet.

I also think it is interesting they are using creditor protection to restructure. Most of their best real estate has long been sold off and its extremely well documented that customers just don't shop at Sears. It's hard to imagine the new Sears not continuing to have the same troubles. That makes me wonder if there isn't some discussion or deal already in place to sell the restructured company to someone like Amazon with the debt being left behind in the old, "bad Sears".

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:33 PM

^ It looks like Sears is just going through the exact same motions that Eaton's did, just 20 years apart. It was literally 20 years ago that Eaton's announced the closure of a bunch of weaker stores (including Garden City) in a bid to stave off its demise.

I think it's probably fair to say that Garden City has proven to be a dud of a mall. I recall Ross Gourluck's book about Eaton's in Winnipeg mentioned that the GC Eaton's never once turned a profit... I'm sure it's probably been a while since that Sears has managed to pull off a year in the black. I wonder how it has managed to escape the wrecking ball given that Unicity succumbed years ago?

Speaking of department stores, I actually popped into The Bay at Polo Park yesterday... I was shocked at what a mess the place was. Messy aisles, product strewn about, packaging materials and pins all over the place in the changerooms. As someone who normally only shops at the downtown store, I don't feel so bad about its somewhat shabby appearance anymore... it looks like The Bay is letting standards at all of its Winnipeg stores slide.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:38 AM

Sears Canada Statement

QUOTE:
SEARS CANADA STATEMENT:

To our valued customers - about 18 months ago, Sears Canada embarked on an unprecedented reinvention plan with a scale, scope and speed of change rarely seen in corporate history. We are reinventing how we do business with a clear mission: to make our customers lives better by solving their needs with digital and non-digital solutions. We have upped our game on product innovation and quality at amazing prices that pop. We have showcased these product innovations in a gut renovation of our customer experience, across our digital platform – both online and on mobile – and in-store with the new Sears 2.0 format. We’ve also hit Control-Alt-Delete in our customer service department, and set a goal of making best-in-the-world customer service – delivering WOW to customers – a key part of our culture.We have developed our brand positioning and value proposition to be radically clear by curating and building our apparel and home goods to focus on (1) the new Sears Label and pillar partner brands, which feature the highest quality products at amazing everyday prices, and (2) the Cut @ Sears, which features of the moment fashion and home décor from designer labels, in a treasure-hunt environment and at less than expected prices. We are the first and only website and the only store that offers our own brand and designer labels for less under one roof. We adapted the same brand positioning in our mattress and appliance businesses, by moving away from the on again – off again sales promotion model, to our tech-savvy price scraping model. In this model, we check the prices on all the mattresses and appliances available in the market at our competitors’ stores every day, and we re-price ours to be the best in Canada every day, guaranteed. We’ve checked the prices so you don’t have to, and you can rest assured knowing that there is not a better price available on your mattress or appliance purchase anywhere.In summary, we’ve changed in the past 18 months, and our efforts seem to be resonating with many of you, as measured by the datapoint that after over 10 years of same store sales declines, we now seem to be showing nascent signs of growth. We are focused on listening to you, our valued customers, to continue our on-going reinvention and to learn how we can make your life a little better by creating digital and store-based solutions for your needs. You can follow our reinvention at sears.ca/reinvention.All of the above being said, Sears Canada has just been through a long decade during which it was not innovating and reinventing its business, not listening to customers and not evolving to serve Canada’s needs. This has left Sears Canada in the unfortunate position of having parts of the company that are no longer applicable to our customer needs, nor financially viable. We have come to a crossroads where it is no longer possible for Sears Canada to continue to deliver on its promise of providing digital and store-based solutions to current customer needs while simultaneously supporting all its legacy infrastructure. In short, our reinvention will now require us to restructure the business so we can focus solely on the future without many of the legacy-related burdens.As part of this effort, and after careful consideration, in order to continue to serve our customers and chart our path forward, Sears Canada has filed for and obtained protection from its creditors with the intention of further restructuring our business. We are going to close some of our stores, which is in part recognition that many of our customers prefer to shop online, and because we want to be a more focused retailer. While we are focused on making these great changes, there are still a lot of things that Canadians love about Sears Canada that will not change:Our newly-styled product selection, including our new Sears label products, featuring high quality at amazing prices, and The Cut @ Sears, where you can find on-trend, designer brands in fashion and home décor for 30-60% less The ability to shop in-person or online at our new, easy-to-navigate website http://www.sears.ca/The terms of any warranty or extended warranty you may have on products like major appliances and mattresses Our “no questions asked” 30-day return policy at continuing stores The ability to redeem gift cards and loyalty points at continuing stores Our reinvention is not yet complete but quite a bit of progress has already been made. So please come visit us at sears.ca to see the exciting changes and improvements we are making every day.Thank you for supporting Sears Canada and Sears.ca. You – our customers – are our lifeblood and most important asset. We are listening and evolving to serve you better. We look forward to seeing you soon.
END QUOTE.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It looks like Sears is just going through the exact same motions that Eaton's did, just 20 years apart. It was literally 20 years ago that Eaton's announced the closure of a bunch of weaker stores (including Garden City) in a bid to stave off its demise.

I think it's probably fair to say that Garden City has proven to be a dud of a mall. I recall Ross Gourluck's book about Eaton's in Winnipeg mentioned that the GC Eaton's never once turned a profit... I'm sure it's probably been a while since that Sears has managed to pull off a year in the black. I wonder how it has managed to escape the wrecking ball given that Unicity succumbed years ago?

Speaking of department stores, I actually popped into The Bay at Polo Park yesterday... I was shocked at what a mess the place was. Messy aisles, product strewn about, packaging materials and pins all over the place in the changerooms. As someone who normally only shops at the downtown store, I don't feel so bad about its somewhat shabby appearance anymore... it looks like The Bay is letting standards at all of its Winnipeg stores slide.
I disagree, last I checked the Winners at Garden City was the best performing in the city and I'm sure Canadian Tire does well there too. Sears was the dud here, not the mall. That might explain the interest from Marshalls/Home Sense. I'm guessing the mall sensed the closure coming hence the renovations to spruce things up and redo the Sears at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:45 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

CBC News Network - on the money
Sunday, June 25, 2017
Report by Dianne Buckner

Coming soon to a mall near you: condos and office space

Redevelopment of malls means less retail, more entertainment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...over-1.4173250

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:24 PM

Not sure if this is retail related news but MPI is announcing that they are closing two of their claims centers in Manitoba due to low volume of use. The one on Pacific Ave in Winnipeg and the part time one in Flin Flon.

Staff are to be relocated to other locations in Winnipeg and Northern Manitoba. This will be the second MPI location completely closing in Winnipeg with the Pembina Hwy one having closed in the summer of 2016.

Unlike the Pembina Hwy location which MPI is changing into office space the Pacific Ave location will be put up for sale.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I disagree, last I checked the Winners at Garden City was the best performing in the city and I'm sure Canadian Tire does well there too. Sears was the dud here, not the mall. That might explain the interest from Marshalls/Home Sense. I'm guessing the mall sensed the closure coming hence the renovations to spruce things up and redo the Sears at the same time.
Best performing Winners according to whom? I've been to the Garden City location several times and I'd say it looks noticeably less busy than the Pembina or Polo Park stores. That mall has been struggling pretty well non stop since Eaton's began running into trouble in the 90s.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:57 PM

That was according to someone here who posted that. Being busy doesn't mean they are making a lot of sales and just because you went there and it wasn't that busy doesn't mean it isn't busier other times.

On a side note looks like Northgate is getting ready for the demolition phase. Hoarding has been going up and part of the mall sectioned off. Also temporary construction lighting has been going up. Also noticed new doors at the back near Cinema City were one of the breezeways is being set up. Also the back of the mall where the gym is going has the exterior nearly done. Jollibee's also looking closer to completion. Pizza Hut has opened in their new location. Also noticed Butterfly Fashions opened a temporary location where Dairy Queen used to be.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 8:12 PM

Tjx

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Best performing Winners according to whom? I've been to the Garden City location several times and I'd say it looks noticeably less busy than the Pembina or Polo Park stores. That mall has been struggling pretty well non stop since Eaton's began running into trouble in the 90s.
According to the Winners Garden City Managers from the TJX "suits" that are there checking up on them at least twice a year. The rest of the old Eatons Store houses the Winners warehouse and the Canadian Tire warehouse. Garden City Shopping Centre is currently being renovated and according to the Rio Can Leasing Agent, the company has big plans for it. Time will tell. The reno is being done when the Mall is closed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:14 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
CBC News Network - on the money
Sunday, June 25, 2017
Report by Dianne Buckner

Coming soon to a mall near you: condos and office space

Redevelopment of malls means less retail, more entertainment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...over-1.4173250
I like.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:59 PM

I've heard The Bay is going to be gutted soon, so that may explain why it's kinda dirty in there.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:29 AM
Heart of the Continent

Why do Bell and BellMTS still have different phone clans in Manitoba? Will it continue this way?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:27 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

How long is the 'BellMTS' name going to go on?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
How long is the 'BellMTS' name going to go on?
Probably a long time as Bell Aliant is still being used for their division in the Maritime area. I think that name change was from around 2006 when Bell took majority control of Aliant Telecom Inc.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Why do Bell and BellMTS still have different phone clans in Manitoba? Will it continue this way?
The sale only went through months ago. It's relatively easy to change branding, but can often take years for companies to merge. It's not like they can just flip a switch and all of a sudden the MTS network is part of Bell, especially since MTS and Rogers were sharing networks in Manitoba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Probably a long time as Bell Aliant is still being used for their division in the Maritime area. I think that name change was from around 2006 when Bell took majority control of Aliant Telecom Inc.
BellAliant only became 100% owned by Bell in late 2014. The public still had shares and some control over it until then, hence why they kept the "Aliant" part in the name. As Bell (and many other companies in other industries) has been consolidating their brands into that of the main "parent" company (ie: Bell Mobility and ExpressVu are just Bell now), I have a strong suspicion that Aliant and MTS' days are numbered. They'll likely keep it for a couple years, but it'll all be Bell soon enough.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:10 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The sale only went through months ago. It's relatively easy to change branding, but can often take years for companies to merge. It's not like they can just flip a switch and all of a sudden the MTS network is part of Bell, especially since MTS and Rogers were sharing networks in Manitoba.
They now have the exact same coverage, as dos Telus, and (I'm assuming for this one) Xplorenet. Their plans and roaming options are very different though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:34 PM

My the Polo Park Walmart (on Empress) there is a small strip mall. Noticed construction activity happening at the vacant store where the Bombers had their holiday store this year. No real indication what was behind the construction.

Considering there is similar activity at Unicity might some chain be expanding or entering the market?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan