HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
they probably need a permit to update their fb page lol

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Have they started refilling the "hole" yet?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Have they started refilling the "hole" yet?
Yes! There's about 10 feet of bullsh*t in there.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:19 AM

20/07/2017 Photo update:

It appears as though there hasn't been anything major is going on in the pit for a while. In the 3rd photo, it looks like the ramp has settled considerably since the last time it was used.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:00 AM
Hmm....

It's been at least 2 months since there's been any real activity. Definitely missing out of the extended period of dry weather, which was one of their go-to excuses before...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Fortress Real Developments Inc. who now handles the project, posted a July update on its website stating, “Despite the poor weather conditions in Regina during the spring and early summer, which made the excavation of the clay material at the Capital Pointe site even more difficult, the progress has continued.”

...ccording to Fortress excavation work is complete on the fifth and final level of the underground parkade. Once shoring of the bottom is complete concrete pouring will begin. The new timeline for the project to be finished is by spring 2019, rather than late 2018.
http://leaderpost.com/business/local...ule-once-again

We are in a drought and that's poor for construction? I don't even see how this building can be relevant this long after the original plan. If they ever get something built, is there any market for it?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
I'm always amazed we don't hear about OHS violations from this project site. I guess having no workers on site most days decreases the opportunity for a violation to occur, but still... that ramp looks sketchy as all hell. I bet a guy with actual knowledge of OHS could spot a few other violations on a passing glance. Really feels like the crew they've got working on the project is a bunch of buddies you gather to put up a garage on a weekend, with beer & pizza as payment.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:11 PM

This video at the beginning of the LP story is amusing.
https://twitter.com/leaderpost/statu...64291191005184

Does anyone else feel like Fortress is dragging this out in hopes that the City will eventually - say, after 7+ years of delays - refuse to issue a new permit... allowing Fortress to blame the City, rather than accept that Fortress (and previous developers) are simply incompetent (I'm being kind by using this word over other words that jump to mind)?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
This video at the beginning of the LP story is amusing.
https://twitter.com/leaderpost/statu...64291191005184

Does anyone else feel like Fortress is dragging this out in hopes that the City will eventually - say, after 7+ years of delays - refuse to issue a new permit... allowing Fortress to blame the City, rather than accept that Fortress (and previous developers) are simply incompetent (I'm being kind by using this word over other words that jump to mind)?
Just look at the Harmony Village Sheppard project in Toronto:
http://www.rosengoldberg.com/company...?company_id=31

$36 million appraisal (most recent - in court documents). Third ranking $31MM syndicated mortgage, after some $22MM(1st and 2nd). Sold to Pinnacle. You think they paid more than $50MM?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 7:57 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

It's pretty evident that they ran out of money, again.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 11:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
It's pretty evident that they ran out of money, again.
No Capital Pointe

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:28 PM

OHS stuff. As long as the ramp side slopes are not too steep, it should be okay. Railing would be required if there was a vertical drop over a certain height. In Winnipeg, it's 2 feet. Not sure if that's a national thing or local.

Besides it settling out a couple feet at the sidewalk haha clearly hasn't been much action there.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:28 PM

As a Saskatoon resident who went through 3 different developers for Riverlanding before it actually got off the ground and has momentum (condo, hotel under construction; 1st office tower to begin mid August) I feel your pain!!! It is time for this outfit of clowns to take their losses and let another developer proceed with something on that site. Riverlanding design changed each time a new developer came along, but we have ended up with a decent project and actual work happening on the site.

I am just not sure what can be done in the Capital Pointe case, as unless they put it up for sale, I doubt the City has any authority to shut them down??

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 7:40 AM

Wouldn't the city have authority once the site becomes unsafe in some fashion? But I suspect that would only occur if Fortress fails to remedy the specific issue(s) at that time, or if immediate action is needed to prevent deterioration of surrounding roads and property.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
As a Saskatoon resident who went through 3 different developers for Riverlanding before it actually got off the ground and has momentum (condo, hotel under construction; 1st office tower to begin mid August) I feel your pain!!! It is time for this outfit of clowns to take their losses and let another developer proceed with something on that site. Riverlanding design changed each time a new developer came along, but we have ended up with a decent project and actual work happening on the site.

I am just not sure what can be done in the Capital Pointe case, as unless they put it up for sale, I doubt the City has any authority to shut them down??
At the pace they're moving, I suspect the City has a lot of power to shut them down... by not issuing a new permit when they (invariably) let their permit expire. There are milestones that must be achieved, and at a certain point - if the City's lawyers can stomach a potential fight (a big if) - the City has a pretty good case to call BS & just say no.

My bet is subcontractors are more likely to cause the eventual shutdown. With financing as precarious as it seems to be, I bet there will be missed payments...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 6:22 PM

And how many different developers have been on the Capital Pointe project? Is Fortress the second or third one?

Is the actual plan still relevant, given how many years this has been in development?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Is the actual plan still relevant, given how many years this has been in development?
No, it is not. The condo market has cooled drastically, and in the time that Capital Point could have gone up, two other new high-end downtown condos have filled the demand.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I'm always amazed we don't hear about OHS violations from this project site. I guess having no workers on site most days decreases the opportunity for a violation to occur, but still... that ramp looks sketchy as all hell. I bet a guy with actual knowledge of OHS could spot a few other violations on a passing glance. Really feels like the crew they've got working on the project is a bunch of buddies you gather to put up a garage on a weekend, with beer & pizza as payment.
I took OHS in school, and that was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the pics of the ramp.

Having said that, it looks like the ramp is unfit for a pedestrian walking down the slope, never-mind heavy machinery. Will Fortress ever complete this project?

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:46 PM

More signs of delays... probably the end

I stopped by the site on the weekend, and there were two employees putting fences back up, it looks like the construction trailers have been removed. Not like we needed any more signs that this project is doomed, but there is now no place for construction workers to muster. I really hope this deal officially gets axed and the site gets sold to a repuatble developer that can deliver on a vision.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darclar View Post
I really hope this deal officially gets axed and the site gets sold to a repuatble developer that can deliver on a vision.
At this point, I think gravel parking lot with no landscaping would be preferable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan