HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Yeah, I hope we see something good go into that site...between that, the warehouse, and (wishful thinking here) getting the squatters' site cleaned up and developed, that could end up a great little corner...
I wonder if eminent domain is possible on that site? Those people are absolute slobs. Someone should at least be able to buy them out assuming the zoning isn't too limited.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I wonder if eminent domain is possible on that site? Those people are absolute slobs. Someone should at least be able to buy them out assuming the zoning isn't too limited.
It wasn't too long ago, I wanna say a year, these same people were approached by officials to convince them to cleanup the lot and/or move out. It was an article in Azcentral. The owners said they own the lot because that house has been in their family for a century and can do what they want. I can understand their concern but letting the land wither with shoddy cars and become an eyesore is not a way to get neighbors or anyone on your side.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:28 PM

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Very cool video of a fly-thru at State Farm Marina Heights.

I so hope my desk is facing the lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhFz...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I also was riding north of the lake and I was wondering if any of you had heard anything about the proposed HUGE project at the SE corner of Priest and Washington? The space is quite large and I was intrigued with the proposal- especially the incorporation of the canal as a water feature/ fountain type attraction in the middle of the property.

The freaking Cardinals stadium is supposed to be sitting there, but NO. Phoenix had to bully it away from Tempe.

THUGS.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:30 PM

@kingofleos, very cool. Thanks for sharing. I actually really like the development. I think it transitions the flow of lake traffic to Rio Salado very well, especially when comparing to HFL. It will be nice that all the retail/restaurant traffic will line the lake. The architecture is cool and flows well with all the glass.

Directly south of the development, SDS EZ removal is proceeding at a quick pace. I was told by someone that the cranes are costing the contractor $16000 a day, so they're trying to get it finished quickly. They seem to already be down maybe 3-5 rows from the top. I saw an OX Blue camera on the lodge level, but I don't know how to find it online. Does anyone know? The contractor is Hunt.

HFL 3 is progressing nicely. They are digging right now.

Hanover has finally brought in a crane, but not yet a tower crane. I'm assuming this development (around 90 feet) would need a tower crane, correct? No site movement on USA Place yet...what a drag.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:30 AM

Ok, to be fair, I think Ryan's design is sound in trying to activate both Rio Salado and the lake. Hopefully, the retail is big enough of a name or draws a following so that people realize it's meant to be a public development.

The garages are a lot more prominent than I had remembered, though. =\

HFL, OTOH, sucks for not building the garage-wrap retail; the bastards still show it in their video, which makes it worse because you can see how it would've created an inviting pathway from the intersection and into the development.

Tempe has specific percentages of how much of a garage can be visible- any chance that can be mentioned on the side? I know that's shitty, but it's worse to let that garage happen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofleos View Post
The freaking Cardinals stadium is supposed to be sitting there, but NO. Phoenix had to bully it away from Tempe.

THUGS.

that would have been amazing... whoa... close to everything. that is about as center as it gets. any links to that?

lofts at rio salado. i lived there for a short bit...bad time in my life

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
that would have been amazing... whoa... close to everything. that is about as center as it gets. any links to that?

Phoenix used the proximity of the airport and the widespread fear of another attack on our country as a way of derailing the Cards stadium. This was the front runner location and should have been built there IMO. Tempe also considered the 10 and Warner as another location.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Phoenix used the proximity of the airport and the widespread fear of another attack on our country as a way of derailing the Cards stadium. This was the front runner location and should have been built there IMO. Tempe also considered the 10 and Warner as another location.

Here's my biggest issue (to beat a very dead horse)....

I think of these things in terms of national attention and exposure.

The area of Priest/Washington is tucked right into the Papago Buttes. That area is gorgeous. Think of the blimp zooming in from an angular spot of course due to the airport, but think of the Buttes and rolling desert in the background on those live shots.

Now pan to what we get currently. "Welcome back to 'gorgeous' Glendale..." while we see shots of farm land and flatness.

FAIL

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post

This isn't the greatest link but hopefully you can see the image:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ls_stadium_ap/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
This isn't the greatest link but hopefully you can see the image:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ls_stadium_ap/
I don't consider this beating a dead horse at all, it is the biggest mistake our city has made in the last decade. This would have been the buffer between our two most urban cities - Tempe and Phoenix. The problem is that the stadium is stuck there for another 20 years and by that time, Phoenix will lack the land and will have been built out enough for a new stadium to remain in Glendale.

On that note, the turd will soon be polished.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...rades/7848993/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:26 AM

A look at yesterday progress of North upper deck demolition (source)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:27 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the lost stadium as a major loss for the metro as a whole. The location was perfect, given that it was just far away from downtown to not create any deadzones, while being central enough for easy access. The fact that light rail was adjacent makes it almost comical that it was sabotaged.

Tempe has always shown itself to be a great host, especially of sporting events. Think of the block parties and parades that would've lined Mill. And, this is one time a football stadium could've been a catalyst for development, as I think the cluster of Cardinals, Papago Park, Phoenix Zoo, DBG, Phoenix Muni, etc. would've been too great to ignore.

Instead, we still haven't seen any investment in the long stretch between the two downtowns other than Aloft and the proposed Trilium 44, which was one of the main wishes for running light rail down that path.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:22 AM

Had to stop by and check out the construction progress this afternoon.

And I found a video on YouTube of the construction phasing of Marina Heights that I haven't seen posted on here yet.

Video Link

Last edited by combusean; Apr 19, 2014 at 3:42 AM. Reason: Fixed your img links.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:58 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:

THUGS.
I think you mean Glendale, and if Tempe or any other municipality would have wanted it bad enough it would be theirs. Tempe probably figured they still had ASU if the Cardinals left. In the end, I think Phoenix is the biggest loser here because they should house all 4 major sports in their city, NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL. Frankly that shows me their mismanagement of the city which still shows to this day. Downtown Tempe is doing circles around Downtown Phoenix in the development department, I mean, just head to each downtown. There's at least 6 cranes in Downtown Tempe, as well as other developments starting or about to start.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:45 AM
Skyriser

cygnusloop, I fixed your img links.

Remember that when it's an image hosted from a webpage rather than a direct link which usually has a jpg at the end of the url, you have to right click the image to copy its exact url to paste between the img tags.

Sometimes that won't even show up properly, so it's always best to use an external site that allows hotlinking like imgur.com

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 4:20 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta View Post
I think you mean Glendale, and if Tempe or any other municipality would have wanted it bad enough it would be theirs. Tempe probably figured they still had ASU if the Cardinals left. In the end, I think Phoenix is the biggest loser here because they should house all 4 major sports in their city, NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL. Frankly that shows me their mismanagement of the city which still shows to this day. Downtown Tempe is doing circles around Downtown Phoenix in the development department, I mean, just head to each downtown. There's at least 6 cranes in Downtown Tempe, as well as other developments starting or about to start.
The stadium ended up in Glendale, but Phoenix was the city who had the FAA intervene with Tempe's site; Phoenix had proposed it be built where the current biomedical campus is growing (also, 40th along the 202?).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
cygnusloop, I fixed your img links.

Remember that when it's an image hosted from a webpage rather than a direct link which usually has a jpg at the end of the url, you have to right click the image to copy its exact url to paste between the img tags.

Sometimes that won't even show up properly, so it's always best to use an external site that allows hotlinking like imgur.com
EPIC FAIL!!! I didn't realize that and will keep it I mind next time for the photos. Do you know why the video isn't working?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
EPIC FAIL!!! I didn't realize that and will keep it I mind next time for the photos. Do you know why the video isn't working?
One of the issues depends on the setting on YouTube i.e. if you set it to private or unlisted we can't view it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 11:50 PM

Tempe Cranes

I LOVED seeing all the cranes along the lake today as I drove by for the first time in a few weeks. Would be nice to see that in downtown Phoenix as well.

How many stories is the tallest Marina Heights building supposed to be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest