HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I agree about the infill but Atlanta is definitely going int the right direction.

LA barely has that many infill towers though.
You can’t be serious…tbh, most of DTLA is buildings and towers between 12 and 30 floors. People sometimes try to give LA a lot flack, but most people are just lying to themselves. DTLA has a true urban grid. Yes, there are a plethora of vacant lots, but block after block, you can walk and its building right next to another building. I was just in Atlanta and Dallas just to give an example. There is no urban grid in those cities. So as far as Atlanta going on the right direction, LA is also going in the right direction and is far ahead of Atlanta in that regards. I’m very familiar with both as I own properties in both cities. (Atlanta, and LA). I’m not sure if you’ve visited any of these cities…I always have an issue trying to post pics/vids. But if I can post a pic, maybe you’ll see what I’m saying.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:55 PM

There's nowhere in Atlanta or Dallas that has the pedestrian activity of even Little Tokyo. I was just there and it is full of people like pre covid.
Not many "towers" but its full of retail/restaurants.

This forum puts to much into skyscrapers. Granted thats the forum, but its also about urbanity too. Uptown Dallas is compared to the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, and that's not really a good thing.
Plenty of highrises, but not many pedestrians.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:08 PM

From the Los Angeles Times:

$2-billion downtown L.A. megaproject gets boost from governor’s office, hopes for approval in 2024

Rendering of Fourth & Central aerial view at dusk. Master planning and project architecture by Studio One Eleven, with tower at right by Adjaye Associates. (Studio One Eleven / Adjaye Associates)

BY LIAM DILLON
STAFF WRITER
MARCH 7, 2024 3 AM PT

Gov. Gavin Newsom will attempt to expedite construction of a $2-billion residential and commercial megadevelopment in downtown Los Angeles, his administration is announcing Thursday.

The 7.6-acre project, named Fourth & Central, would bring 1,500 new homes, 410,000 square feet of office space along with retail, restaurants and a 68-room hotel to what’s now a collection of cold storage facilities, parking lots and warehouses in Skid Row near its boundary with the Arts District. Newsom’s decision Thursday aims to shave years off the construction timeline by fast-tracking a judicial decision in any litigation filed against the project under state environmental laws.

“For decades, we’ve let red tape stand in the way of these kinds of critical housing projects — and the consequences are in plain view all around us,” Newsom said in a statement. “Now we’re using California’s infrastructure law to build more housing, faster.”

Denver-based developers Continuum Partners unveiled the project in 2021. It’s made up of 10 buildings, including a 44-story residential skyscraper at Central Avenue and 4th Street. In total, the proposal calls for 572 condominiums and 949 apartments, with at least 214 units set aside as low-income housing.

Two marquee buildings including the high-rise were designed by Ghanaian-British architect David Adjaye, best known as the lead designer of the National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington. The developer is partnering with Los Angeles Cold Storage Co., which has been operating on the site since 1895 and has provided refrigerated warehousing to many of the produce markets, hotels and buildings in the region.

[...]

Read the rest here: $2-billion downtown L.A. megaproject gets boost from governor’s office, hopes for approval in 2024

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:16 PM

Finally, the state leaders jump in to help. Why can't Bass do more for downtown LA/Hollywood?

Chicago, SF and DC mayors are trying to revitalize their downtowns post covid. Why can't Bass do the same damn thing?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:20 PM

Well, Karen Bass ain't just doing absolutely nothing...

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Well, Karen Bass ain't just doing absolutely nothing...

Video Link
Everything cant be about homeless. That's just small minded shit.
Every downtown in the country needs help after covid, and to not even think about it..is just...AWFUL "leadership".
Her housing directive still seems slow, I don't see a ton of new proposals. Just small buildings here and there, that dont make a dent.

The Olympics are 4 years away, and I haven't seen ANY plans to improve parts of downtown or Hollywood when the world gets here.
Like even small things like adding trees to Figueroa or something. Not even that.

Actually, the 6th street park will be nice. But that's fringe downtown.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:

$2-billion downtown L.A. megaproject gets boost from governor’s office, hopes for approval in 2024

Rendering of Fourth & Central aerial view at dusk. Master planning and project architecture by Studio One Eleven, with tower at right by Adjaye Associates. (Studio One Eleven / Adjaye Associates)

BY LIAM DILLON
STAFF WRITER
MARCH 7, 2024 3 AM PT

Gov. Gavin Newsom will attempt to expedite construction of a $2-billion residential and commercial megadevelopment in downtown Los Angeles, his administration is announcing Thursday.

The 7.6-acre project, named Fourth & Central, would bring 1,500 new homes, 410,000 square feet of office space along with retail, restaurants and a 68-room hotel to what’s now a collection of cold storage facilities, parking lots and warehouses in Skid Row near its boundary with the Arts District. Newsom’s decision Thursday aims to shave years off the construction timeline by fast-tracking a judicial decision in any litigation filed against the project under state environmental laws.

“For decades, we’ve let red tape stand in the way of these kinds of critical housing projects — and the consequences are in plain view all around us,” Newsom said in a statement. “Now we’re using California’s infrastructure law to build more housing, faster.”

Denver-based developers Continuum Partners unveiled the project in 2021. It’s made up of 10 buildings, including a 44-story residential skyscraper at Central Avenue and 4th Street. In total, the proposal calls for 572 condominiums and 949 apartments, with at least 214 units set aside as low-income housing.

Two marquee buildings including the high-rise were designed by Ghanaian-British architect David Adjaye, best known as the lead designer of the National Museum of African American History & Culture in Washington. The developer is partnering with Los Angeles Cold Storage Co., which has been operating on the site since 1895 and has provided refrigerated warehousing to many of the produce markets, hotels and buildings in the region.

[...]

Read the rest here: $2-billion downtown L.A. megaproject gets boost from governor’s office, hopes for approval in 2024
This is incredible!!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Everything cant be about homeless. That's just small minded shit.
Every downtown in the country needs help after covid, and to not even think about it..is just...AWFUL "leadership".
Her housing directive still seems slow, I don't see a ton of new proposals. Just small buildings here and there, that dont make a dent.

The Olympics are 4 years away, and I haven't seen ANY plans to improve parts of downtown or Hollywood when the world gets here.
Like even small things like adding trees to Figueroa or something. Not even that.

Actually, the 6th street park will be nice. But that's fringe downtown.
I wouldn’t say small minded. Cleaning up the homeless in general will draw more people and businesses. It’s definitely a trickle affect. But I’ve been told from people who work in the office, that she’s definitely behind the scenes to spruce up more development for DTLA, and other areas. The homeless is what is getting the press.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Finally, the state leaders jump in to help. Why can't Bass do more for downtown LA/Hollywood?

Chicago, SF and DC mayors are trying to revitalize their downtowns post covid. Why can't Bass do the same damn thing?
I wouldn't give Muriel Bowser in DC too much credit. The Wizards and Capitals want to move to a new arena in Virginia. Much of downtown DC is vacant (although there appears to be a little more activity recently). In fairness, however, this is largely dependent on the telework policies of the federal government.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I wouldn’t say small minded. Cleaning up the homeless in general will draw more people and businesses. It’s definitely a trickle affect. But I’ve been told from people who work in the office, that she’s definitely behind the scenes to spruce up more development for DTLA, and other areas. The homeless is what is getting the press.
You can do more than one thing. She could easily start some kind of "team" to strategize/plan on improving Broadway or tax incentives and help the homeless.

If its all behind the scenes she needs more PR to get the business side into the press then.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I wouldn't give Muriel Bowser in DC too much credit. The Wizards and Capitals want to move to a new arena in Virginia. Much of downtown DC is vacant (although there appears to be a little more activity recently). In fairness, however, this is largely dependent on the telework policies of the federal government.
Sure, but just the fact Bowser is telling the residents she gives a damn about helping downtown means something. When I was in Chicago, Daley and Emanuel both cared
about downtown.

Ive never heard Bass say we need to get downtown/Hollywood back on track. That will matter to voters.

Hopefully she learns something from Gavin, because that is a great move for him. I think he's trying to help SF as well. AWESOME. Would like to see more of this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:23 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Sure, but just the fact Bowser is telling the residents she gives a damn about helping downtown means something. When I was in Chicago, Daley and Emanuel both cared
about downtown.

Ive never heard Bass say we need to get downtown/Hollywood back on track. That will matter to voters.

Hopefully she learns something from Gavin, because that is a great move for him. I think he's trying to help SF as well. AWESOME. Would like to see more of this.
I was living in Chicago for a majority of Emanuel's term. I always called him a snake oil salesman with 9 fingers. He improved landscaping in downtown yes but helped put money in rich people's pockets while ignoring the plight of the people on the south and west sides which is why Chicago is losing population (among other reasons). And Daley (the son not the father) nearly drove Chicago to bankruptcy. I wouldn't use either of them as examples of good mayors.

Chicago hasn't had a good mayor since Daley (the father not the son).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:

Might also have to do with how the economic activities are concentrated in their downtowns whereas LA everything is spread out and not just in downtown

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
You can do more than one thing. She could easily start some kind of "team" to strategize/plan on improving Broadway or tax incentives and help the homeless.

If its all behind the scenes she needs more PR to get the business side into the press then.
I'm guessing that's why Bass has her critics, a lot of stuff is behind the scenes. She's not a saber-waver like Mayor Villaraigosa was (you could tell he had a huge ego).

The mayor before Villaraigosa, Mayor Hahn, was also not a saber-waver. But I don't think he was a bad mayor.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Might also have to do with how the economic activities are concentrated in their downtowns whereas LA everything is spread out and not just in downtown
Its still important enough for her to publicly tell the business community we can/have plans to do something.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I sincerely hope so. LA city is falling apart especially compared to the other cities in the county. Its so jarring going from WeHo, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Culver City, etc into LA city

In regards to 4th and Central... HUGE news. I love this project for many reasons. It will expand the arts district and Little Tokyo, force parts of skid row to change and bring in a ton of housing and retail. MASSIVE improvement.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
In regards to 4th and Central... HUGE news. I love this project for many reasons. It will expand the arts district and Little Tokyo, force parts of skid row to change and bring in a ton of housing and retail. MASSIVE improvement.
Yep, this is definitely good news. The landowners, developers, and state government are all on board. When complete, I suspect this massive development on the eastern edge of downtown will positively transform surrounding areas, including Skid Row. Downtown is slowly drifting toward the river.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:07 PM

From the 4th & Central proposal's website:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:59 PM

^That's got to be the biggest development, in terms of scale, that I can recall in recent memory. Bigger than Metropolis or Oceanwide (grr...)... I believe.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:

[...]

Crazy that developers have to resort going to the Gov to get things moving. It shouldn't be this difficult. But yes, to this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations