HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
Closed account

Check out Dystopos' info about Daniel Payne Center on Bhamwiki. It's interesting.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Daniel_Payne_Town_Center

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Wow... if this thing is ever built... I don't really even know what to say.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:19 PM

I'm flabbergasted. The players--from the developer, to the architect--all seem way under-qualified to attempt a project like this. And the aquarium needs to be downtown, not sequestered in this new development. Wow.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
I'm flabbergasted. The players--from the developer, to the architect--all seem way under-qualified to attempt a project like this. And the aquarium needs to be downtown, not sequestered in this new development. Wow.
What about what's her name? You know, the woman that had the plan for the Dome?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
What about what's her name? You know, the woman that had the plan for the Dome?
I was wondering about her myself?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 9:45 PM
I concede

That project is DOA. If dirt is moved, it'll be for something significantly scaled down from the original concept.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 1:12 PM
Transport Planner

I agree, the aquarium ought to be downtown...but the idea seems interesting.
I just keep thinking, if the idea is to get people back into DT, why not focus a few more development projects there? I think the retail center should be DT as well, but that's what I think.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 6:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, the thing is, this is a private developer, so their main interest isn't to attract people downtown.

I'm convinced that any development is good development, as long as it's done correctly and in an orderly fashion. So, I'm thinking that as long as this is done in a healthy manner, it can only help the city. After all, a redeveloped downtown won't do much good unless you can attract people not only from Birmingham but from other areas.

If this is built, and people visit it, they're likely to spend the night. Cause I don't think there's anyway that you can enjoy this thing in just one day.

What I would like to see is a partnership between this thing and Alabama Adventure. I think it would greatly help both parties.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 8:07 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
Check out Dystopos' info about Daniel Payne Center on Bhamwiki. It's interesting.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Daniel_Payne_Town_Center

I love the idea of an in door waterpark. Great move by the city of Birmingham,they would put a development like this on the Eastern Shore or out west in Mobile instead of downtown. I commend Birmingham for putting the breaks on suburban dvelopment and allowing the city core to get development as well.

I hope our area hop on board very soon and attract more retail and other amenities downtown as well.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 3:55 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Well, the thing is, this is a private developer, so their main interest isn't to attract people downtown.
Duh! For some reason, I thought it was also the city...I'm not against the development, just wish the location was better...speaking as a student, I would LOVE to be able to go to ONE area (DT) and be able to shop, etc., etc...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
Closed account

I was downtown this morning and there seems to be a lot of activity going on around 20th street. I noticed a lot of antique stores and cafes I have not noticed in the past. Hope I see more next time.

Also, I was in the BJCC Arena looking at the remodel and they have certainly done a lot for the old lady. They painted all the walls and tan and taupe and completely refinished the floors with a funky tile that is tan, light green and a red swirl. They will be upgrading their signage soon as well.

I saw the new BJCC Skywalk which links the Arena to the North Exhibition Hall and South Exhibition Hall to the Sheraton and ultimately the 22nd Street Parking Deck without having to brave the elements. All this coupled with last years remodel of the Concert Hall is a vast improvement over a couple of years ago.

Now if only they could do something about that interstate...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:06 PM
Closed account

Potential Norfolk-Southern hub has potential for 8,000 new jobs in Greater Birmingham.

Quote:
Norfolk Southern eyes Birmingham area for major hub
Posted by Michael Tomberlin--Birmingham News June 12, 2009 5:45 AM

Norfolk Southern is scouting sites in the Birmingham area to build a terminal as part of a rail corridor stretching from the Northeast to New Orleans. The project could mean thousands of new jobs and millions of dollars in investment for the area.

Norfolk Southern is seeking incentives and is talking with state and local officials about the facility, seen as a key element in the company's $2 billion Crescent Corridor expansion. The company believes as many as 8,000 jobs could be created in the area as a distribution hub develops around the project.

"We are certainly looking in the Birmingham area for constructing a new terminal that will hopefully be part of a larger logistics hub," said Rudy Husband, spokesman for Norfolk Southern. "Intermodal terminals in and of themselves have some jobs, but the real job growth is the surrounding companies that are involved in logistics and distribution."

Ted vonCannon, president of the Metropolitan Development Board, said his organization has been working for nearly three years to land the intermodal terminal, where trucking containers would be loaded onto train cars.

"If we're fortunate enough to get the project, it could mean Birmingham will be a key point for moving goods in and out," vonCannon said. "It could be a great boon for our area."

Norfolk Southern said the Crescent Corridor aims to use a network of terminals and railway improvements along a 2,500-mile rail line from New Jersey to New Orleans to take as many as 1 million trucks off interstates by transporting their cargo via train. In Alabama alone, an estimated 300,000 trucks could be taken off the interstates each year, the company says. That would help alleviate congestion on the roadways and reduce emissions, saving an estimated 100 million gallons of fuel each year, it adds.

"Right now, more than 90 percent of the freight moving from the Southeast and the Gulf Coast up into the Northeast is moving by truck," said Rudy Husband, spokesman for Norfolk Southern. "If you look at the line segment between the New York metropolitan area and Chicago, it's about a 50-50 split. We believe there is an enormous opportunity to shift freight that's moving via the interstates over to rail."

The project also will be a boost to economic development efforts in Birmingham area, according to the company and local officials. Norfolk Southern rail lines have played a role in Alabama's recruitment of key projects, including Mercedes-Benz, Honda and ThyssenKrupp.

"We think once the Crescent Corridor is fully developed and operating in the next 10 years or so, there will be somewhere between 500 and 600 railroad jobs created in the Birmingham area," he said. "Then, if you look at surrounding development what we think will evolve when that intermodal terminal is built, we're looking at somewhere between 7,000 and 8,000 jobs that will be positively impacted."

That would be on top of Norfolk Southern's existing operations in the state. The railroad company's Alabama operations are based in the Birmingham area. It operates 1,370 miles of track in the state, has 1,800 employees with a $102 million annual payroll, and makes $134 million in annual purchases and payments.

VonCannon said Norfolk Southern has evaluated six or seven sites in the greater Birmingham area.

Husband said terminals can cost between $60 million and $90 million, depending on size and fluctuations in construction costs. The intermodal facility would have multiple lines of railroad tracks and transfer points allowing containers to be moved from rail cars to truck beds, and vice versa.

Because of the promised benefits, Norfolk Southern has been asking states for financial support to expand the Crescent Corridor and develop new terminals. In February, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell proposed a $30 million boost to rail infrastructure in his state, while Virginia has given $45 million to aid the Crescent Corridor expansion.

"Where there are clearly identified public benefits to a project we're embarking on, we would like to get some public funding to assist in that," Husband said.

Neal Wade, executive director of the Alabama Development Office, said Norfolk Southern has made presentations about the Crescent Corridor to state officials but so far has not asked for a specific contribution.

"It appears it could be a real important infrastructure asset to the state," Wade said. "I've been in several meetings with them and from what I've heard, it could be an excellent project for Alabama."

Husband said Norfolk Southern is talking with Alabama and Tennessee officials about the Crescent Corridor and is having discussions with elected officials in Washington. He said the project might qualify for federal stimulus funds through the Alabama Department of Transportation.

"Those talks are ongoing, both locally and in Washington," he said. "We're just trying get people both from a political standpoint and from an agency standpoint educated about what is involved with this project -- what the benefits are and getting them more comfortable about being involved."

VonCannon said no specific timetable has been laid out for the intermodal terminal, though Norfolk Southern has indicated it would like to have it operating in the next two or three years.

"This could be one of the most significant projects we've seen -- in the same category as Mercedes and Honda when you consider the spin-off jobs," he said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 12:28 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham would probably be the best location for this thing. I believe that the chances of us landing this are strong.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 6:16 PM

Birmingham Nordstrom

I was reading a post in the Huntsville Updates thread and stumbled upon the following quote:
Remember, shopping center developers are hurting now, with one of the largest, General Growth, in bankruptcy causing Nordstrom to pull out of Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham.
The entire post is here

Is this correct? I had not heard that the deal to get Nordstrom to the Galleria was 100% dead. I was looking forward to them coming to Alabama.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
Closed account

Supposedly, it was because General could not afford the required improvements to the property because of bankruptcy.

I'm tired of bad news. When will it stop?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 8:16 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Potential Norfolk-Southern hub has potential for 8,000 new jobs in Greater Birmingham.

Good article, but what about the truck drivers ? I`m glad to know that Birmingham will be getting 8,000 jobs,but we will be losing so much more.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
Good article, but what about the truck drivers ? I`m glad to know that Birmingham will be getting 8,000 jobs,but we will be losing so much more.

Would it be possible many of the long-distance drivers would simply convert to more short distance deliveries once the product reaches their area?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
Closed account

I've been waiting to hear about this.

Quote:
UAB to bring jobs, research through Stem Cell Institute
Birmingham Business Journal - by Jimmy DeButts Staff

The University of Alabama at Birmingham has created a Stem Cell Institute that has the potential to be a major economic driver for the region, industry experts said.

The creation of the UAB Stem Cell Institute is scheduled to be voted on Friday at a University of Alabama Board of Trustees meeting in Tuscaloosa. The vote comes after UAB placed ads on May 7 seeking stem cell researchers to fill “junior” and “senior faculty” positions.

The newly created institute could attract top national and international researchers, boost the region’s talent pool and entice biotech manufacturers to the area, according to Biotechnology Association of Alabama Executive Director Kathy Nugent.

High-tech jobs and the ancillary support jobs and resources are already on schedule for the Stem Cell Institute. Nugent said the creation of a specialty institute in a high-growth sector will solidify UAB’s research reputation. It also will be able to leverage Birmingham’s existing biotech resources to attract highly trained workers.

“This is definitely what we need to continue to grow the industry here,” Nugent said. “Having a Stem Cell Institute is another piece of the puzzle and adds to the world class research UAB is known for.”

Tim Townes, chairman of UAB’s biochemistry and molecular genetics department, is serving as the Stem Cell Institute’s director. His ad seeking researchers offers nationally competitive salaries and startup packages. Attempts to reach Townes were unsuccessful by press time.

Laurence Baker, professor of health research and policy at Stanford University, said the new institute’s economic impact on Central Alabama will depend on its research success rate. By adding jobs, the local area will see a modest immediate impact, he said. However, if a treatment for sickle cell anemia or Parkinson’s disease is a byproduct of research conducted at UAB, the impact could be monumental, Baker said.

“The real economic impact is tied to whether they have breakout research that leads to real benefits to society,” Baker said.

UAB could benefit from licensing fees associated with treatments developed at its facilities. The Birmingham area also could see an infusion of federal stem-cell funding and companies looking to base their operations near UAB if the Stem Cell Institute produces therapies to ease or cure diseases, Nugent said.

In addition, Alabama-trained researchers would be more likely to remain in the state if they have a place to put into practice what they’ve learned at UAB or Huntsville’s HudsonAlpha Institute.

“It is something we have to have,” Nugent said. “We want to keep the talent here in the state. This would help do that.”

The resolution to establish UAB’s Stem Cell Institute cites the high rate of sickle cell anemia in the African-American community. UAB has been researching sickle cell anemia for two decades and has had some success, with research using adult skin cells that produced a cure for sickle cell disease in mice.

UAB said the use of cells in this manner is an important first step toward curing other acquired diseases. A key to the institute’s success is educating the public on the difference between using adult cells opposed to controversial embryonic cells, Nugent said.

If UAB can proactively highlight the use of adult cells so the public’s initial reaction to stem cell research isn’t negative, the institute could lay the foundation for significant economic development opportunities, Nugent said.

“It furthers the name of UAB as a global leader of cutting-edge research,” Nugent said. “It expands job availability to keep our talent in the state. The more talent we have, the more we’ll be able to attract better opportunities including raising the likelihood manufacturing companies would come here.”

Stanford’s Baker said a Stem Cell Institute is a wise use of resources.

“Stem cell research seems very promising and investing in stem cell research infrastructure is a good bet,” Baker said.

jdebutts@bizjournals.com | (205) 443-5628

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 3:46 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
I've been waiting to hear about this.
YES! PERFECT!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:04 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Would it be possible many of the long-distance drivers would simply convert to more short distance deliveries once the product reaches their area?

I thought about that and you make a good point, I hope short distance doesn`t mean a short work week. My dad and uncles have been driving trucks for years now. I thought about them and others when reading this article.

One thing I do know Birmingham knows how to handle business right, so we shall see and i`m pretty sure they thought of that already I hope any way,lol .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast