HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 1:12 PM
WAR EAGLE

Changes at Galleria

Galleria makes way for new anchor
Owners purchase old Belk space, seek Dillard's or Nordstrom Thursday, August 23, 2007
SHERRI C. GOODMAN Birmingham News staff writer

The owners of Riverchase Galleria have agreed to buy the 255,000-square-foot anchor space being vacated by Belk Inc., potentially paving the way for the Birmingham area's largest mall to land a Nordstrom or Dillard's.

The deal is expected to close Sept. 30, said Linda Zwern, head of Belk's western division based in Birmingham. The terms were not disclosed.

Bob Perry, general manager of the Galleria, said mall manager and co-owner General Growth Properties would look at remaking the west side of the mall into a more modern streetscape reminiscent of lifestyle centers such as The Summit and Patton Creek. A major department store would anchor the streetscape, he said.

Chicago-based General Growth has said it would like to land Nordstrom or Dillard's, two department stores absent from Birmingham's retail landscape. Both stores have been on developers' and shoppers' wish lists for years.

As part of the plan, the Galleria's parking decks would be reconfigured. General Growth also might eliminate the lower levels of the parking structures that flank the current Belk building so that the streetscape would span that side of the mall.

General Growth and its Galleria co-owner, Montgomery-based Jim Wilson and Associates, would likely have to invest $50 million to $100 million to make those changes. If they decide to go forward with the streetscape plan, it would not be completed until at least 2011, Perry said.

Expanding offerings:

Belk earlier this year said it would move into Parisian's high-profile spot in the Galleria along with one floor of the former McRae's site. The move will allow Belk to expand its offerings in the state's largest shopping mall, while gaining perhaps the most high-profile anchor spot in the Galleria.

Tim Belk, who was in Birmingham Wednesday to watch the Parisian sign come down and the Belk name go up at The Summit, said Belk will be completely moved into its new Galleria main store in September.

Belk's home store will operate out of the current Belk space through November. It will then move into the former McRae's building, which will also house a beauty salon and children's fashions, Zwern said.

Control of mall's future:

Belk acquired Birmingham-based Parisian last year in a $285 million deal with Saks Inc. The deal created multiple-store issues for Belk because the family-owned chain had already entered the market and some of the area's primary shopping sites either on its own or through its purchase of another Saks division, Proffitt's/McRae's in 2005.

When Belk announced it would move out of its current Galleria space, General Growth said it wanted to buy the spot so it could better control the mall's future.

Landing a Nordstrom "would really bolster the position of the Galleria," said UAB retail expert Robert Robicheaux. Nordstrom, an upscale Seattle-based department store operator known for stylish clothing, a large shoe selection and first-rate customer service, has been courted by Birmingham developers for years.

"It would give the Galleria a significant edge and, frankly, it would be something that ought to get The Summit's attention," Robicheaux said. Having a traffic generator like Nordstrom would help the Galleria compete for other high-end tenants that might have previously favored The Summit, he said.

Adding a Dillard's, meanwhile, would likely create some healthy competition for Belk and help out other tenants in the mall.

"It will certainly lay a great challenge down for Belk to secure or hold on to tremendously loyal patrons of Parisian who are waiting to see what Belk will do," he said.

Efforts to reach Dillard's and Nordstrom officials were unsuccessful.

Tops industry average:

The Galleria, which draws 12 million shoppers a year, already is performing better than most malls in the country. The Hoover mall reports about $500 in annual sales per square foot. By comparison, the industry average is about $350 a square foot, Perry said.

The hybrid mall concept is not new for General Growth, which has the streetscape addition in two of its properties in Georgia. At Cumberland Mall in suburban Atlanta, the company last year added 77,000 square feet with a streetscape that included Maggiano's Little Italy, P.F. Chang's China Bistro and The Cheesecake Factory.

In Augusta, General Growth, in a defensive move, added a streetscape in part to keep existing tenants from defecting to planned open-air developments. The tactic worked, and General Growth held onto the tenants, Perry said. Meanwhile, two of the four developers interested in putting Summit-style projects in the Augusta area backed out, he said.

E-mail: sgoodman@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 3:42 PM

Euro-American Advisors now has the Clairmont Ave. project listed on their website. It lists the development as Class A Apartments. I thought the original plan was a for a mixed use condo/retail development but I guess that has changed. Does anyone have any more info on this or know exactly what Class A Apartments are?

Hopefully a link to the website is provided below.

http://www.eaausa.com/props_current/prop_clairmont.htm

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit97 View Post
Euro-American Advisors now has the Clairmont Ave. project listed on their website. It lists the development as Class A Apartments. I thought the original plan was a for a mixed use condo/retail development but I guess that has changed. Does anyone have any more info on this or know exactly what Class A Apartments are?

Hopefully a link to the website is provided below.

http://www.eaausa.com/props_current/prop_clairmont.htm
Class A apartments are bascially expensive.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 1:53 PM
WAR EAGLE

Red Mountain Park Update

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 1:58 PM
WAR EAGLE

Plans for Five Points

Grand plans afoot at Five Points South
Restaurants, renovations revamp Southside Saturday, August 25, 2007
ROY L. WILLIAMS Birmingham News staff writer

Five Points South, a trendy restaurant and entertainment hotspot on Birmingham's Southside, is in the midst of private investments tenants say could revitalize an area in need of a new look.

The owner of The Grape closed the restaurant and winery last month to begin transforming it into La Mesa Grill & Cantina.

Schaeffer Eye Center at 1036 20th St. is renovating the spot adjacent to The Grape vacated this summer by Soca Clothing.

That move could free the high-profile location Schaeffer occupies for a restaurant, said Michael Calvert, president of Operation New Birmingham.

Meanwhile, Five Points South got an image boost in mid-July when the new owners of the former Pickwick Hotel reopened it as a hip, Manhattan-style boutique hotel called The Hotel Highland at Five Points South. It was closed six months for renovations.

A lobby, breakfast room, martini bar and updated guest rooms, decorated in a brightly-colored contemporary style, are among new features of the 63-room landmark hotel at 1023 20th St. South. Owner Long & Cox Properties of Atlanta estimates it spent $7 million in upgrades.

The hotel's revitalization has sparked Birmingham-based Kahn Properties, which has operated Pickwick Place retail center since 1983, to begin plans for its first major upgrade in 20 years.

"We plan to make it more visible and appealing, and hope to finish by the end of the year," said Gayle Kahn, president of Kahn Properties.

Jeff Tanner, who moved Soca to downtown Homewood this summer, said the changes are refreshing and long overdue.

"It will make Five Points more vibrant," he said.

Brandon MacDonald, who expects to complete his conversion of The Grape by November, said he is getting good response to his planned Spanish-style restaurant.

MacDonald, who opened The Grape at The Summit in August 2005 and The Grape in Five Points South seven months later, said he found that Birmingham wasn't big enough to support two restaurants of that style. He said The Summit location lost a bit of business once the Southside operation opened.

La Mesa will feature a tapas bar serving small plates of traditional Spanish fare and a full bar offering 20 flavors of mojitos, a Cuban rum-based drink made by mixing spearmint and sugar with soda water, an assortment of fresh fruit and flavored rums.

He said La Mesa will focus on catering to the surrounding neighborhoods, young professionals and visitors who desire great-tasting food but don't want to dress up or make reservations at a white-tablecloth establishment.

"Five Points has the extremes, fine-dining establishments and very casual," he said. "We aim to fill a void by offering an exciting, upscale destination for dining at lower prices and eclectic beverage options for those looking to entertain."

MacDonald hopes to expand La Mesa across the region.

"We feel that there are many areas where this concept would be successful," he said.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 7:12 PM
Closed account

Birmingham Leads State in New Commercial Construction

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Contracts for local commercial construction projects skyrocket
Birmingham Business Journal - 2:46 PM CDT Tuesday, August 28, 2007
by Lauren B. Cooper
Staff

Commercial construction continues to skyrocket across the state, with last month's contracts for future construction nearly doubling statewide and nearly quadrupling in the area.

McGraw-Hill Construction, an industry watcher, reported Tuesday that contracts for future nonresidential construction in Birmingham were up more than 378 percent last month, compared to July 2006. Contracts totaled $132.6 million last month, compared to $27.7 million in July 2006.

Year-to-date, construction was up 67 percent, compared to the same time period last year.

However, local residential construction was down nearly 30 percent to $87.5 million for the month, compared to $123.5 million in July of last year.

Year-to-date, local residential construction dropped 23 percent, compared to the same time period last year.

Across the state, contracts for future nonresidential construction were up 93 percent for the month to $298.5 million last month, compared to $154.4 million in July 2006.

Year-to-date, commercial construction was up 30 percent, compared to the same time period last year.

Residential construction dropped 19 percent for the month and 18 percent year-to-date.

Nonbuilding contracts, which include projects such as roads and infrastructure, increased nearly 300 percent, from $196.8 million for the month, compared to $50.3 million in July 2006.

However, year-to-date, nonbuilding contracts were down 23 percent, compared to the same time period last year.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:36 PM

Sign to be lit atop Leer Tower project
Thursday, August 30, 2007
DAWN KENT News staff writer

The Leer Tower condo project will gain a high profile next week, as developers light up a sign atop the 20-story structure, where construction is expected to begin in February.

A Thursday lighting ceremony is planned to illuminate the Leer Tower sign. Its letters will shine bright white over downtown's Entrepreneurial District.

The lighting of the sign is a kickoff for the $25 million project at Second Avenue North and 17th Street, said David Leer of The Leer Organization LP.

Advertisement
Condos soon will be released in phases, a process that is expected to stretch into November, he said.

Developers plan to transform the building, the former Cabana Hotel and prior to that, the Thomas Jefferson Hotel, into 60 condos that will range in price from $229,000 to $589,000.

The hotel opened in 1929.

"When they built it, it was supposed to be the premiere hotel of the Southeast. It's where everybody stayed in its heyday," Leer said. "We're restoring the elegance of the original building, and it's very much in keeping with how they built it."

Plans call for a lobby, fireside room, billiards area and concierge space on the main level. A recreational area, including tennis courts and outdoor grills, is planned on top of an adjacent parking garage.

Atop the building, there will be rooftop gardens and a swimming pool. A posh penthouse and offices are planned for the top two floors.

Completion of the project is expected in summer 2009.

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 11:50 AM

City Block 121 to get $33M residential/retail development

In today's (8/31/2007) Birmingham Business Journal, the top story is about Chicago REIT, Corporate Realty's plans to develop block 121 (between 20th and 21st Streets and 1st and 2nd Avenues South - just south of the Daniel Bldg). The article doesn't say a whole lot about the plans other than a $33 million urban apartment and retail complex - 258 apartments, 18,000 sf of retail and a 400 space parking deck. Construction could begin first quarter of 2008. No details as to height of building. The article states that this block was where the Shepard Center (twin skyscraper proposal) was proposed in the early 80's.

Anybody got any further information about this proposal (such as # of floors/height)?

***FYI - I can't copy/paste the article here because it is in .pdf format.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:58 PM

Shepherd Centre

The two towers were going to be 72- and 44-stories. I still have the renderings packed away in a box somewhere. Sort of SouthTrust Tower looking buildings with a lot of bluish glass and white or grayish stone.

The building was proposed on that block because FAA height regs of 454' don't apply south of the railroad tracks (flight paths don't go over that part of midtown).

I'm sure someone on this forum has a rendering somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 3:10 PM

Does anybody have any further information about this new residential/retail proposal on Block 121?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:29 PM
Trendy.

I'd like to see the renderings of the new development as well.

steve, I'm loving the series on the urban divide this week. WBHM always has great programming. Keep it up!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 7:34 PM

Thanks Justin!

Hope you can give a listen to the call-in forum to wrap up the series...Tuesday night at 6:30.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 12:34 AM

I don't have the Shepherd Centre renderings, but I remember the two main buildings were going to have illuminated crosses decorating their upper sections.

BhamWiki:Shepherd Centre

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Bids for the Leeds Bass Pro Shop go out Oct. 2.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 9:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgeorge View Post
Thanks Justin!

Hope you can give a listen to the call-in forum to wrap up the series...Tuesday night at 6:30.
Wow, I didn't know we had a celebrity in our group. I listen to WBHM a lot during the day but rarely after 6pm. I've heard the commercials for the Urban Divide and wished that I could listen (we're usually eating or I'm helping my son with homework around 6:30pm). I see that there's a link to listen to the show from this week. I'll try to do that later tonight.

BTW, I just read your bio on the WBHM website and now understand why your username is stgeorge.

And one more thing, are you related to a lady named Irene who works for (or worked for) Alabama Power? I worked at Alabama Power in the mid-90's and worked with a very nice lady named Irene who shared your last name. She made some awesome baklava!

Last edited by Randy Sandford; Sep 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:02 AM
Trendy.

Just called into the show, though I sounded silly because I didn't know what to say without talking to anyone

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Just called into the show, though I sounded silly because I didn't know what to say without talking to anyone
Haha... I'm about to join you. I just called and left my comment. I swear, I was THIS close to giving a shout-out to SSP. They haven't aired the comment yet so I hope I don't end up sounding like a major tard.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
Trendy.

I sounded so nasal-y and Northern... I lived up there waaaay too long

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:36 AM
I concede

Haha... well, my homegirl from Chicago just told me I had an accent, so oh well. I'd love to see a streaming webcast of this show. Hopefully they'll archive it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:37 AM
Trendy.

that was the longest question ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast