HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:40 AM

Any chance that we could see some up to date renderings of the Highland Tower Project?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 11:48 PM
Burming Hammer

Love what 2nd Ave N has become. Here's another restaurant for the area (across from El Barrio):

Former Tavern on the Summit owners plan to open Asian restaurant in downtown Birmingham

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:00 AM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Any chance that we could see some up to date renderings of the Highland Tower Project?
these renderings are exactly a year old now, but they're the last ones I saw...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:01 AM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham will host the 2021 World Games!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Birmingham will host the 2021 World Games!
I know they said we do not need any new venues, but I sure hope we put in a lot of new stuff before the opening ceremonies. I am totally pumped for this.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:35 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I know they said we do not need any new venues, but I sure hope we put in a lot of new stuff before the opening ceremonies. I am totally pumped for this.
I am sure Bell will use this as leverage to gain support for a multi use facility. And a third hotel in uptown wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:26 PM
Burming Hammer

Even if we lose money, I think our image needs something like this... as mentioned, it may be the thing that forces all the municipalities to work together on stuff like transportation and housing.

I wonder if most of the anticipated economic development is from the participating athletes and their friends/families that will be attending? Guessing this won't have much of a spectator draw outside of the immediate region? Curious if this event attracts much attention outside... I'll admit I hadn't heard of it until Birmingham announced they were contending.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:11 AM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Guessing this won't have much of a spectator draw outside of the immediate region?
I don't see why not. Some of the events may be obscure but things like the fighting (muay thai, ju jitsu, karate, sumo), the air sports, gymnastics, dance, archery... there are several things that some parents and kids may be in to from all across the country that might be interested in seeing some world athletes participate in those events. When is the next time games like this will be relatively easy and cheap for the average American to see?

I'm stoked, others may think the Olympics are the only thing worth talking about, but this is the perfect event for Birmingham to cut her teeth on. I think we don't realize how busy our hotels and restaurants will be.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't see why not. Some of the events may be obscure but things like the fighting (muay thai, ju jitsu, karate, sumo), the air sports, gymnastics, dance, archery... there are several things that some parents and kids may be in to from all across the country that might be interested in seeing some world athletes participate in those events. When is the next time games like this will be relatively easy and cheap for the average American to see?

I'm stoked, others may think the Olympics are the only thing worth talking about, but this is the perfect event for Birmingham to cut her teeth on. I think we don't realize how busy our hotels and restaurants will be.
And lets not forget about Lacrosse, its growing in popularity and there's 1 or 2 high schools in this area that play.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 4:44 AM
Cat Enthusiast

As far as spectators go, most will be from Alabama. However, there should still be a pretty significant presence from other countries. Cali (the most recent host of the World Games) hosted around 500,000 spectators.

I think the most important aspect of Birmingham hosting is the exposure, but there will also be a tremendous amount of people visiting the city that wouldn't have otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:55 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
As far as spectators go, most will be from Alabama. However, there should still be a pretty significant presence from other countries. Cali (the most recent host of the World Games) hosted around 500,000 spectators.

I think the most important aspect of Birmingham hosting is the exposure, but there will also be a tremendous amount of people visiting the city that wouldn't have otherwise.
I'm mostly concerned about transportation: the UAB facilities will be easy enough to access, since there are a good deal of hotels downtown.

However, I fear many people may end up near 280 or near Lakeshore.

Considering the facilities around BSC (including Legion's) and Samford and Vestavia, they'll really need to tread carefully.

Nothing would make someone never want to visit a place again than not being able to get around.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:57 PM
The Salty Ham

I think transportation and easy access to less savory areas is a necessity that won't be missed by Birmingham event coordinators. I mean how could it? People used to say putting the Barons downtown was a bad idea and that Uptown would fail. Crossplex, Legion Field, Rickwood - any of those places can and has had major events lately with out incident. They'll be all over this with event security and well lit areas and signage.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think transportation and easy access to less savory areas is a necessity that won't be missed by Birmingham event coordinators. I mean how could it? People used to say putting the Barons downtown was a bad idea and that Uptown would fail. Crossplex, Legion Field, Rickwood - any of those places can and has had major events lately with out incident. They'll be all over this with event security and well lit areas and signage.
Also, Birmingham has access to several private bus companies that can pick up wherever MAX does not go. Lets not forget we have 6 1/2 years to get this right and I am confident my hometown will do it right.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:57 PM
Burming Hammer

not a new project, but the design has changed a little:

A sneak peek at Lakeview's Metropolitan apartment project

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:45 PM
Burming Hammer

thank GOD they're moving... hate their current location. difficult to find parking, nothing else nearby, literally sits in the shadow of 280... wonder where they'll end up? Avondale, Lakeview, and Parkside each have a significant brewery. Five Points would be cool, although I'm not sure there's really a space like this that would fit in there. Or maybe an older warehouse building near the 2nd Ave North restaurant/bar/loft district?

Cahaba Brewing launching beer in cans, preparing to move to bigger space

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 11:34 PM
Burming Hammer

first I've heard of this one:

Cain Furniture building renovation could begin this spring

could be a nice little project... article says 25 lofts. here's what's there currently:

safe to say just about anything will be an improvement. also glad to see development spreading further west. this is close to mcwane / pizitz (that's the phoenix building on the left).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:23 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
first I've heard of this one:

Cain Furniture building renovation could begin this spring

could be a nice little project... article says 25 lofts. here's what's there currently:

safe to say just about anything will be an improvement. also glad to see development spreading further west. this is close to mcwane / pizitz (that's the phoenix building on the left).
Good part of town for this. Yea, I hadn't heard anything about this either, but j like the sound of it. 25 lifts is pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:03 PM
Burming Hammer

^drove by this today. that google street view is apparently pretty old... new window openings have been knocked through already.

that huge sign is still hanging, though... wonder if they're planning on incorporating that into the design somehow...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:13 PM
Burming Hammer

nice update in the BBJ about the 8 historic tax credit projects and their status:

How Bham's historic renovation tax credit projects are progressing

(having trouble posting the graphic for some reason..)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast