HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:09 PM
Burming Hammer

you're right... this does look like an interstate, but the properties mentioned in the article (old library, red lobster, etc) are further up 31.

honestly can't tell where this image is supposed to be either...

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

That's definitely the 31/65 interchange in Vestavia. Looks like they want to route Columbian between that pond and the rest of the main development.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:58 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
That's definitely the 31/65 interchange in Vestavia. Looks like they want to route Columbian between that pond and the rest of the main development.
Which would be an amazing feat if they could pull it off. That land would need to be raised or that stream dug deeper as it is prone to flooding. It cost royal, serra independance, and Hollywood a whole bunch of cars during that last flood and it put serra independance out of business. But looks like Vestavia wants them all to go away along with the gas stations, waffle house, the dry cleaners, Arby's and everything else right in there for so they can build some gleaming mid rise office towers. GLWT.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 6:46 PM
Burming Hammer

small (11-unit) development near UAB / Phelan Park in southside

$1.8 million 15th Street Lofts planned for Birmingham's Phelan Park near UAB

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:06 PM

Looks like the Vestavia plan is just a sample, not the whole thing.. towards the top of the image you can see the redevelopment of the rest of 31 (edging near where Chuck-e-cheeses and Vestavia Bowl is...), and there is a comment that the entire plan would be presented at the end of May.

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 1:43 PM
The Salty Ham

We don't have to worry about grocery shopping for downtown residents any more.
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...cart_graystrip

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
We don't have to worry about grocery shopping for downtown residents any more.
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...cart_graystrip
I just realized that this is a totally new project and not part of one already announced for that area. Wow!!

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:45 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I just realized that this is a totally new project and not part of one already announced for that area. Wow!!
But it kind of is though, right? I think they announced a smaller phase with a Starbucks anchor a while back and the al.com author hinted that it was just the tip of the iceberg and thar something much bigger was coming later. It is my impression that he knew this was coming. I think this development touches three of the blocks facing that intersection and be tens of millions before it's done.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
But it kind of is though, right? I think they announced a smaller phase with a Starbucks anchor a while back and the al.com author hinted that it was just the tip of the iceberg and thar something much bigger was coming later. It is my impression that he knew this was coming. I think this development touches three of the blocks facing that intersection and be tens of millions before it's done.
Yes you're right it is, but for me the first picture of this project I saw, I immediately thought it was the Starbucks project, it just goes to show reading is fundamental. Now I realize that this is across 3rd Avenue on the old firestone building property, there is also a florist I think that is what that building houses and the old Woods Chevrolet lot on the 19th Street end.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 5:19 PM
The Salty Ham

Tearing the Firestone down is quite unfortunate though. I had been under the impression it would be utilized. Sigh. Maybe they'll use some of the facade materials on the publix.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Tearing the Firestone down is quite unfortunate though. I had been under the impression it would be utilized. Sigh. Maybe they'll use some of the facade materials on the publix.
Yes, I have always liked it too. I had envisioned it as one those great and famous destination night clubs with a restaurant on the first floor and dance club on the second floor and surrounded with high rise hotels and condos/apartments. Of course that was a while ago in my youth.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 8:40 PM
Burming Hammer

based on the article, sounds like the red canopy may somehow be incorporated? but the building itself appears to be coming down:

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 1:00 AM

Harbert Realty wants to start the highland apartment tower in 3 months

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...lion-will.html

Last edited by mcalumni01; May 21, 2014 at 1:00 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 2:44 PM
Burming Hammer

^ glad it's still a "go", but damn that should've started already.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 2:52 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 6:30 PM

Nice to see the renaissance continue in Birmingham with all these wonderful projects. I think many cities in the south (particularly Atlanta) best look out for Birmingham. Being the underdog, I believe that they'll surprise many in the coming decades in terms of growth & downtown development. This city & metro will be looked at more closely as other large urban areas become more expense to build at, whereas Birmingham will be able to offer the companies excellent opportunities within their distribution/trade area. Keep up the great work Birmingham.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRE View Post
Nice to see the renaissance continue in Birmingham with all these wonderful projects. I think many cities in the south (particularly Atlanta) best look out for Birmingham. Being the underdog, I believe that they'll surprise many in the coming decades in terms of growth & downtown development. This city & metro will be looked at more closely as other large urban areas become more expense to build at, whereas Birmingham will be able to offer the companies excellent opportunities within their distribution/trade area. Keep up the great work Birmingham.
Thank You!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 9:06 PM

developers wants to start on the Thomas Jefferson tower within 6 to 8 weeks

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...tower-rev.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:55 PM

Shoal Creek will host the 2018 U.S Women's Open.

Quote:
Shoal Creek, the site of the 1984 and 1990 PGA Championships, will host the 2018 U.S. Women's Open, the USGA announced on Tuesday afternoon in a press release.

The venue, located just outside Birmingham, Ala., will host its third USGA event after the 1986 U.S. Amateur (won by Buddy Alexander) and the 2008 U.S. Junior Amateur (won by Cameron Peck).

The 2018 USWO will run from May 31-June 3.

“Shoal Creek has a great track record as a championship site and the USGA is quite pleased to partner with the club for a U.S. Women’s Open,” said Daniel B. Burton, USGA vice president and chairman of the Championship Committee. “We regard Shoal Creek as a wonderful test of golf and are confident it will again shine as a competitive venue for a USGA national championship.”

The dates also signal a change, as beginning in 2018, the USGA will move the USWO to before the men's U.S. Open.

“Conducting the U.S. Women’s Open earlier in the year will allow the USGA to provide optimum playing conditions for the world’s best players across a broader variety of the country’s finest golf courses,” Burton said.

Shoal Creek opened Nov. 1, 1977 after being designed by Jack Nicklaus. It has also hosted the Regions Tradition, one of the five Champions Tour majors, since 2011.
http://golfweek.com/news/2014/may/27...host/?PRO-LPGA

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

^ I heard about that! Great news ^

Here's a video I found via REV Birmingham, a great piece by the Wall Street Journal about people purchasing former industrial or heavy commercial structures and renovating them into residential or mixed-use spaces.

LINK

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast