HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 1:25 AM

Visiting London-Berlin-Paris in September

Hello all,

I don't venture into the European section of the forum very often, but in September I'm doing a Euro-trip. My flight arrives in London for only 24 hours, then I fly to Berlin after a day in London, where I will have 5 days. I'm not spending much time in London since I've been there, so I'm trying to get to know Eastern Europe more. I will be soaking in Berlin for a day or two, then renting a car to hopefully make it to Prague (or some other place, but Dresden-Prague seems practical) before flying from Berlin to Paris, where I will end the trip on the last two days.

Question is, anyone have some recommendations along the way? Since I'm primarily going to Eastern Europe I do have one question, are there any special tolls or other problems for someone who speaks primarily English if I enter the Czech Republic? I think Berlin will be fine, but I don't know about the Czech Republic.

Any advice would be great!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Hello all,

I don't venture into the European section of the forum very often, but in September I'm doing a Euro-trip. My flight arrives in London for only 24 hours, then I fly to Berlin after a day in London, where I will have 5 days. I'm not spending much time in London since I've been there, so I'm trying to get to know Eastern Europe more. I will be soaking in Berlin for a day or two, then renting a car to hopefully make it to Prague (or some other place, but Dresden-Prague seems practical) before flying from Berlin to Paris, where I will end the trip on the last two days.

Question is, anyone have some recommendations along the way? Since I'm primarily going to Eastern Europe I do have one question, are there any special tolls or other problems for someone who speaks primarily English if I enter the Czech Republic? I think Berlin will be fine, but I don't know about the Czech Republic.

Any advice would be great!
Go to Budapest and Vienna!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 8:51 AM

If I could, I would. That may be stretching it a bit. Although its tempting...

Berlin is certainly a highlight of this trip for me, I've wanted to visit for many years.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
If I could, I would. That may be stretching it a bit. Although its tempting...

Berlin is certainly a highlight of this trip for me, I've wanted to visit for many years.
I'd love to go to Berlin. Vienna is on the way, and Budapest is a little further along that trajectory.

I haven't been to any of those places myself, but they come highly recommended.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Aug 7, 2012 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 5:12 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

I know a few ppl who have gone to Czech.. it's very touristy now (esp. Prague) so you shouldn't have any probs at all.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I myself was planning on going maybe next year.

Flickr®

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:41 AM

I hear Vienna is so much more historic/impressive, but Prague is more practical since its so much closer to Berlin where I will be spending time. But I'd love to see Budapest and Vienna and several other cities, it would be great if I had more time!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:41 AM

BTW, I just noticed the Czech Republic isn't on the Euro, do any of you know if they accept other currency for tolls if there are any tolls?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:31 PM

I'm sure speaking English in the Czech Republic will be no problem at all since it's becoming a really popular (and cheap) holiday destination in Europe. I would probably bring some koruna too if I were you, but I can't tell you for sure if they will be accepting euros or not.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:20 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

You are answering about one year too late.
Anyway, this may be useful for other people.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 11:27 AM

Oh, sorry, didn't see that! I just noticed it said August. My bad.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:56 PM

I know this is a year too late, but for others:

All of those cities are easy to spend a jam packed week. Although its tempting to drop into Berlin and hop over to Prague, Dresden, Vienna or Buddapest (all great cities too), if you haven't been to Berlin before take some time there - one very amazing and under rated cities. Few highlights to consider:

- Stay in Mitte, its clubs and restaurants go 24/7 and a great example of pre-war Berlin and East German chic - I like to stay around the Hackescher Markt area - a bit trendy now, but easy staging area to get anywhere in the city

- Central - hit the highlights around the city center - Brandenburg Gates, Checkpoint Charlie, Unter Den Linden, the city palace that is under construction (Humboldt Forum) - Finish the evening off by going to the Reichstag and heading up to the top dome for sunset over Berlin.

- City river tour along the Spree

- Day trip to Potsdam is a must, from there rent a bicycle (trust me) and bike around potsdam with is full of parks and palaces. Bike is the best way to get around and its full of pathways. Finish the day off by taking some beers down to one of the many lakes around the area.

- Olympic stadium is worth a visit

- Friedrichstrasse is great for shopping and can be combined with a walk down to checkpoint charlie

- Tiergarten - walk or jog throught he park over to Potsdammer Platz - If you a construction junkie, check out Liepziger platz around portsdammer platz. Its the newly constructed downtown of Berlin (sort of). In the middle of the tiergarten (city park) is the victory column, its worth climbing to the top (you do have to pay) and getting a 360 view of the park and area.

- Other good tourist traps - Take a ride up the Fernsehturm (large tower with a ball) good view of all berlin and located in Alexander Platz

- Museum Island - right beside Mitte and great collection of museums and cathedrals in a central location

- DDR museum is great, and located close to museum island. very cool to see the old east german products and lifestyle.

- If you are brave you can rent a Trabi (old East German Car) through Trabi Safari and cruise around Berlin in a guided tour while driving the old east german 2 stroke car.

- Walk - Berlin is a great city to just walk and explore, it has an extensive subway and train system that can easily get you home from anywhere. Buy the 3 or 5 day tourist pass, i belive its called the City Card.

- Berlin is always full of concerts, events, festivals and parties, so do some research and you will find some good events to attend while there.

I'm sure I'm missing a lots, but for someone who has never been to Berlin that should easily fill up 3 days.

As for venturing out of Berlin, the Dresden-Prague route is perfect. Much shorter than heading down to Vienna-Budda. Dresden is perfect to spend a full day exploring and relaxing and Prague is..Prague, so you cant go wrong with a few days there.

Last edited by tdurden5573; Aug 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe