HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:43 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.homereporternews.com/news...=image&photo=0

Quote:
“We’ve come here to Coney Island with the mind to respect the memories that lie here. I think it was very important to be able to bring back a ride like the Thunderbolt,” said Alberto Zamperla, president and CEO of Zamperla S.p.A. “Of course, it has to be something new. It can’t be the same because the memories are good, but the world is moving ahead and to respect the Thunderbolt, it’s good that we have something completely new.”

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/n...-panorama.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Clip of the new Thunderbolt...

Video Link

Better rendering video of the new Thunderbolt...

Video Link

COOL CLIP FROM THE ORIGINAL THUNDERBOLT

More from the groundbreaking...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=4

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:28 PM
New Yorker for life

It's been so long since there were active amusements in this part of Coney Island, I'm going to enjoy watching this put up.

Video Link

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4901061&type=1

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:15 PM

On this webcam, you can see the site of that amusement, on the right

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/coneyisland/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
On this webcam, you can see the site of that amusement, on the right

Yeah, that cam is the source of some of the photos I've posted here. Supposedly there is a cam set up on the Parachute Jump to follow construction of the Thunderbolt,
but I haven't seen it yet.

Zamperla is in talks with Horrace Bullard's daughter (he passed away late last year) to use the parcel for the water park. Horrace Bullard was the man who planned to reopen
the Thunderbolt and build an amusement park around it, but the City thwarted his attempts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/06/19...rom=realestate

http://www.garygoddard.com/entertain.../coney-island/

http://www.historyhousephotos.com/?p=37

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Somebody wants to go way back and revive this proposal. Whether or not it'll be taken seriously remains to be seen...but I wouldn't bet on it.

http://amusingthezillion.com/2014/04...-island-hotel/

Century-Old Plan for Globe Tower Pitched As Coney Island Hotel

April 1, 2014

Quote:
More than a century after it was first announced and subsequently declared a swindle, the Friede Globe Tower is once again being proposed for Coney Island’s Surf Avenue. ATZ received a translated copy of an offering to investors for “a ground floor chance to share profits” in the project which is expected to cost $2 billion and pay up to 100% interest. A Russian billionaire plans to erect the 700-foot-tower on one of the lots on the south side of Surf rezoned for high-rise hotels.

Dubbed “The Globe Tower 2.0,” the structure will house a luxury hotel instead of the world’s largest amusement park of the original proposal. In order to comply with the Coney Island Rezoning of 2009 requiring a percentage of the property be used for amusements, Globe of Death Motorcyclists will perform a free act in the globe twice daily, weather permitting.

According to the offering, the hotel rooms will be small but luxuriously appointed and padded with sound proofing for undisturbed sleep despite the roar of the motorcycles. The tower will be crowned with the largest revolving searchlight in the world and lit by thousands of LED lights, making it visible from Mars.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:41 AM
New Yorker for life

More Thunderbolt construction...

Ekavet

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:17 AM
New Yorker for life

With an opening just weeks away, construction proceeds on the new Thunderbolt...

https://www.facebook.com/LunaParkNYC/photos_stream

More photos from the themeparkreview.com discussion board...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum...3236&start=610

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:25 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

Coney's Long-in-the-Works Amphitheater Stalls Yet Again
Wednesday, May 7, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

Quote:
It took so long for former Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz to earn approval for the 5,000-seat amphitheater, eatery, and park on Coney Island's boardwalk he'd always dreamed of, and now the project has stalled yet again. For good reason, though—back in December, right after the development earned the City Council's OK, the city razed the Boardwalk Community Garden at night in the name of its construction, angering residents and green-space activists alike. A replacement garden half a mile away did little to assuage the outrage, and opponents filed a lawsuit, alleging that a Parks Department-designed slice of land cannot be destroyed. Officials counter that the garden was "decommissioned" as a park back in '04, but users say they were never told about this. In any case, court proceedings are, well, proceeding, and Bensonhurst Bean reports that construction on the amphitheater will cease until June 10, when the case is heard in Kings Count Supreme Court. Sit tight, $53 million concert venue, as your future is decided.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; May 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:50 AM

I've noticed the coaster one uses a slice of the land that available there. What's the speculation like for the Zamperla crew to use the rest as possible a water park to compliment the beach.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I've noticed the coaster one uses a slice of the land that available there. What's the speculation like for the Zamperla crew to use the rest as possible a water park to compliment the beach.
That was reported earlier, but they are in negotiations to acquire the land. The land where the Thunderbolt now stands is city owned, like the rest of Luna Park.
If you notice the empty lots in the photographs, those are also privately owned lots (Thor) where future development will take place. But besides the waterpark,
they still have plans...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1802824

May 23, 2014

Quote:
Zamperla has plans for more new rides, but he declined to discuss them until the Thunderbolt proves a success.

That’s mostly a matter of getting enough people willing to pay $10 per ride this summer. The sun coming back after a long winter will help.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/ny...ster.html?_r=0

Got Nerves of Steel? Meet the Thunderbolt Roller Coaster

By LISA W. FODERARO
MAY 23, 2014

Quote:
It may resemble a giant Erector set. But the new Thunderbolt roller coaster, which was manufactured in Italy and Slovakia and shipped to New York in pieces,
is not child’s play, at least when it comes to assembly.

Over several weeks, construction workers, engineers and electricians have been toiling from sunup to sundown in Coney Island, hoisting more than 200 white
support structures into place and then affixing 77 sections of bright orange track, stretching 2,200 feet, with five inversions (that means you go upside down).
By the time it is finished, the workers will have used 2,590 bolts to piece together the track sections, which average 38 feet and weigh up to 12,000 pounds.

There was rain and wind slowing their progress. There was the unpredictability of prefabricated pieces. And there was the impossibly narrow work site, just next
to the B & B Carousell, running from the boardwalk all the way to Surf Avenue, near West 15th Street.

“It’s a very odd property,” said Valerio Ferrari, the president of Central Amusement International, which will operate the new roller coaster and already runs
Coney Island’s Luna Park.

“It’s 48 feet wide by 800 feet long. No one has ever before offered a coaster so skinny and so long.”

The company planned to open the roller coaster on May 24, the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, but construction delays pushed the target date back to May 31.

Last edited by NYguy; May 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 3:35 AM

Well, Thunderbolt is kinda a first for Zamperla and the there's nothing big of theirs that hasn't been placed at Coney so it'll be new concepts and that's exciting.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 10:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Well, Thunderbolt is kinda a first for Zamperla and the there's nothing big of theirs that hasn't been placed at Coney so it'll be new concepts and that's exciting.
Yeah, it is exciting to see new life flowing into Coney Island. This end of Coney hasn't been activated with these kinds of rides for decades. The Thunderbolt itself won't open until next weekend, but no doubt there are people jumping at the chance to ride it. I won't be one of them though, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/LunaParkNYC/photos_stream

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, it is exciting to see new life flowing into Coney Island. This end of Coney hasn't been activated with these kinds of rides for decades. The Thunderbolt itself won't open until next weekend, but no doubt there are people jumping at the chance to ride it. I won't be one of them though, lol.
Neither will I, and not just because I don't live in NY, but I really don't enjoy that type of atractions. For me is like, GET ME OUT OF THIS THIIIIIIINGGG!!!!!!!
It is cool to see it with your two feet on the ground, though.

As seen on EarthCam

Last edited by CCs77; May 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Neither will I, and not just because I don't live in NY, but I really don't enjoy that type of atractions. For me is like, GET ME OUT OF THIS THIIIIIIINGGG!!!!!!!
It is cool to see it with your two feet on the ground, though.
These days, it's better to watch someone else scream...

Anyway, I was able to get some pics yesterday. The place was packed, as expected. I imagine today will be even more crowded. I'll post some pics later.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Photos taken May 25, 2014

Last edited by NYguy; May 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development