HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 8:39 PM

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
I took this in 2005, I sincerely hope that hygiene standards in China have improved since then.
meatmarket by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 9:35 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
The economy would grow a lot faster if people would not have to put 60% of their salaries into paying their mortgage or their rent.
60?

30-50 is typical, with 30 being the target.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
It is easy to point to China and talk about "sanitation" standards being lower. The reality is public health standards are different. Yes, we are generally better off with our standards but there are a few area they do better. I will give you one example:

Was at Save-On-Foods yesterday and picking up a roast chicken looking over the counter you see people putting chickens into the tray not wearing face masks. Not unique to that retailer, we are talking all retailers. It is very uncommon to see food services workers wearing masks in Canada. They do wear hair nets. In China and most of Asia most people doing that type of activity would be wearing a mask.
China's standard aren't "different" they're "worse".

Both SARS and now Covid-19 can be traced back to eating wild game from unclean markets.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 10:30 PM

The mortgage stress test makes it basically impossible to get approved for much more than 30% on your mortgage payment without resorting to a second mortgage.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 10:48 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

Both SARS and now Covid-19 can be traced back to eating wild game from unclean markets.
It’s not the eating exactly, more like these animals are sold live in the markets. There’s a mix of species that normally don’t encounter each other, put in close.quaters. It becomes easy for viruses to mutate while jumping between species.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 11:40 PM

I believe the end of money is not too far in future. But bigger challenges come from this mental shift of what we can use as payment for goods.

USA Canada and Mexico all join together and eliminate their border and become one super country with better transportation in place

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

You realize a lot of Americans and Canadians hunt and eat game....there was concern over hunters possibly eating zombie deer.

But yeah I know you don’t miss a chance to diss China.

Note that I do support us being a lot more careful with what we eat. This goes for animals from farms aka chicken/cow factories too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
^ Those same countries have fish and meat markets where product is laid down on the ground and/or on dirty tables with no ice.
As a kid did you ever go fishing and bring back your catch in a bucket. If the product is slaughtered and sold the same day there is no need for keeping it on ice. If you need to preserve it longer than yes.

I am not saying everything about China is better. Far from it, there are practices in China that are questionable.

The wearing of masks in food service industries is a good example of how China is ahead of us.

There are other practices across Asia that are better. Japan is quite obsessed.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 1:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
But yeah I know you don’t miss a chance to diss China.
The world has every right to denounce and slam China going forward. They unleashed this Chinese virus on us because of their disgusting cultural hygiene practices and put us all in danger. This isn't the first time they unleashed a global pandemic, and it certainly won't be the last.

China had better get ready for shaming, backlash and shunning on a global scale. And they deserve every bit of it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
China had better get ready for shaming, backlash and shunning on a global scale. And they deserve every bit of it.
I agree. But they'll come out of this stronger. While the rest of the world is still in the doldrums in 6 month's time, China will likely be back to work with any virus flareups quickly contained.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 3:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Seems that simply going for a drive as family entertaiment is making a comeback. We used to do that when I was a kid. But no one I know did that until this crisis.

Cheaper gas certainly helps.

Though I wonder if the trend will last post-crisis.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 3:20 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Seems that simply going for a drive as family entertaiment is making a comeback. We used to do that when I was a kid. But no one I know did that until this crisis.

Cheaper gas certainly helps.

Though I wonder if the trend will last post-crisis.
I just went for a drive up ON-400 and back last night. I should have done it today though. I could have gone up to Georgian Bay, taken a picture from my car, then returned.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I agree. But they'll come out of this stronger. While the rest of the world is still in the doldrums in 6 month's time, China will likely be back to work with any virus flareups quickly contained.
Quite the contrary, this is going to pulverize the Chinese economy. China is an export oriented economy that relies on Western consumers to purchase their goods and now they have no where to sell them. This is going to cause tens of millions of layoffs in the Chinese manufacturing sector. Unlike the West, China is still too poor to have a truly consumer based economy.

As for their political power and ambitions, this could be the body blow that Xi has been dreading and hoping would never come. This virus has become become the one thing that unifies every person in every country on the planet...………...a complete distrust and even revolution of China, the Chinese, and their culture.

China has become the world's defacto 4 letter word.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:38 AM

Another long-term consequence of COVID-19 is how it will throw our demographic projection right out the window.

First, our relatively high population growth in recent years has been due almost exclusively due to immigration and that has now come to a complete stop. With a rising death toll and people naturally having fewer kids during times of economic hardship, Canada could, for the first time in her history, suffer a year on year population decline.

Second, the portion of people dying under the age of 50 is near non-existent and yet {using Italy as an example} 80& of all deaths have occurred by people over the age of 80. This could result in a substantial delaying of our aging population trend, at least temporarily.

Last edited by ssiguy; Mar 22, 2020 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
With the toilet paper crisis think bidets will make a comeback?

Never used one myself, it does seem "more" sanitary although I wouldn't want to share one.

Crazy to hear how widespread they are in many nations.

If I ever get a place I think I'll get a Japanese toilet with one and try to add it to my routine.

Almost every country I've visited uses some form of bidet. It's a miracle of bummel hygiene that North Americans seem completely oblivious to. Why anyone might prefer using their hand is completely beyond me especially in a hand-shaking, back-slapping culture like ours...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Quite the contrary, this is going to pulverize the Chinese economy. China is an export oriented economy that relies on Western consumers to purchase their goods and now they have no where to sell them. This is going to cause tens of millions of layoffs in the Chinese manufacturing sector. Unlike the West, China is still too poor to have a truly consumer based economy.

As for their political power and ambitions, this could be the body blow that Xi has been dreading and hoping would never come. This virus has become become the one thing that unifies every person in every country on the planet...………...a complete distrust and even revolution of China, the Chinese, and their culture.

Good luck with that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:20 AM

Quote:

Some left-wing North Americans might balk at blaming China but does anyone think a place like Italy is going to hold back, after what they’re going through?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Another long-term consequence of COVID-19 is how it will throw our demographic projection right out the window.

First, our relatively high population growth in recent years has been due almost exclusively due to immigration and that has now come to a complete stop. With a rising death toll and people naturally having fewer kids during times of economic hardship, Canada could, for the first time in her history, suffer a year on year population decline.

Second, the portion of people dying under the ache of 50 is near non-existent and yet {using Italy as an example} 80& of all deaths have occurred by people over the age of 80. This could result in a substantial delaying of our aging population trend, at least temporarily.
Canada and the US might also politically shift left with fewer voters of an older demographic.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Almost every country I've visited uses some form of bidet. It's a miracle of bummel hygiene that North Americans seem completely oblivious to. Why anyone might prefer using their hand is completely beyond me especially in a hand-shaking, back-slapping culture like ours...
I love a bidet but bidet + TP is best. The worst is when it’s just a hose beside the toilet.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Does a bidet actually thoroughly clean up around your anus hole though? I mean, depending on the dump one takes, sometimes you need to get up in there with tp and apply some friction and pressure to clean up the soft, sticky crap that won't come off with a rinse of water.

Yes, I'm being graphic, but it's an honest and fair question.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada