HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
It does not mean too much to me as I am in another city at the moment. So essentially what you are saying is that despite efforts of various government task groups to bring people downtown for most of my lifetime, when an event brings thousands of people together downtown, it is called a "sideshow." Ok makes perfect sense.

First off, the Street Party was great until this ridiculous ticket scheme. Secondly, next year the Jets may be eliminated by the first round, or miss the playoffs. That is how the NHL works. Edmonton and Ottawa had playoff runs last season, and were among the worst teams in the league this year. Maybe if you followed hockey, you would realize this may be a one in a lifetime opportunity for people to see the Jets within striking distance of going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Not to downtown businesses.

And EDW has failed miserably. Now it has become a PR nightmare as they have all but ruined the grassroots experience of the Street Party.

You are one of the only people from Winnipeg I know that is supporting this ticket scheme. Does it bother you that much to see thousands of your fellow Winnipeggers enjoying themselves?
I was at the party last night. There were thousands of Winnipeggers there. They were enjoying themselves (at least until the 3rd Vegas goal). Not sure what your problem is. People getting all worked up over nothing.

From my experience so far in the playoffs every business downtown that has TVs is packed for the duration of the game, no room to absorb any more overflow, so I don't really see what the advantage of having a bigger street party is other than turning downtown into a dysfunctional gong show.

Also it maybe seems alarmist to you but I think you're really underestimating the safety concerns that would come with a bigger party and unchecked access. Police resources aren't unlimited. The further you stretch them the higher the risk. All it takes is one nutjob with a van or a truck.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
But now they'll know that you're a hockey fan, as opposed to a jazz concert fan.

Answering the original question, a list of 25,000 hockey fans - beyond the ones in the arena itself - is worth money.
Something like that anyways. Like I said, privacy is dead. Doesn't really bother me. Sure they're making money off it potentially. But they're making money off me using their site anyways. It's one of those things. Nobody is forced to use their service. Unless you want to attend events. Price of admission these days.

This convo should probably be in the Jets thread. Maybe a mod can move it. If we have any of those around here. Whatever happened to Cyro??

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:28 PM
Ignore these four words.

Next page.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I was at the party last night. There were thousands of Winnipeggers there. They were enjoying themselves (at least until the 3rd Vegas goal). Not sure what your problem is. People getting all worked up over nothing.
How about the residents without credit cards, or could not get their hands on tickets. How about tourists or non-hockey fans who want to enter the Street Party if they come by the area? It should be an open event.

One thing I do not understand is this. They issued 27,000 tickets that were picked up for yesterdays game. Then they added 10,000 additional tickets that were scooped up. Hypothetically, what happens if every single person with a ticket did show up? That's 10,000 people over capacity, and they would have the dilemma of refusing entry to people with valid tickets.

This whole ticket idea keeps getting more bizarre by the day. Other cities in Canada have picked up on this, and Winnipeg is becoming the butt end of jokes. The incompetence of EDWinnipeg is now made national news.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
It does not mean too much to me as I am in another city at the moment. So essentially what you are saying is that despite efforts of various government task groups to bring people downtown for most of my lifetime, when an event brings thousands of people together downtown, it is called a "sideshow." Ok makes perfect sense.
As much fun as street parties are, they don't do much in the long term. After all, there were a bunch of big free parties downtown and at The Forks in the late 90s which coincided with the most miserable period in downtown's history. Remember the big Great Big Sea party? All the free Pan Am Games concerts? The free Tragically Hip show coinciding with the War-Affected Children conference? The massive flood relief concert in 1997? So let's not make these out to be anything more than what they are... a good time on the night they're happening.

Quote:
First off, the Street Party was great until this ridiculous ticket scheme. Secondly, next year the Jets may be eliminated by the first round, or miss the playoffs. That is how the NHL works. Edmonton and Ottawa had playoff runs last season, and were among the worst teams in the league this year. Maybe if you followed hockey, you would realize this may be a one in a lifetime opportunity for people to see the Jets within striking distance of going to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Hmm, if only there were another way for people to see the Jets games...

Quote:
And EDW has failed miserably. Now it has become a PR nightmare as they have all but ruined the grassroots experience of the Street Party.

You are one of the only people from Winnipeg I know that is supporting this ticket scheme. Does it bother you that much to see thousands of your fellow Winnipeggers enjoying themselves?
If it wasn't for EDW the 'grassroots' street party never would have happened in the first place.

You may be in another city but your inclination to run down and malign the genuine efforts of an organization to put on a fun and free event is classically Winnipeg, I'll give you that.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Also it maybe seems alarmist to you but I think you're really underestimating the safety concerns that would come with a bigger party and unchecked access. Police resources aren't unlimited. The further you stretch them the higher the risk. All it takes is one nutjob with a van or a truck.

After all, Winnipeg is on top of every terrorist list of places to strike

If you have an argument, please keep it real. The idea that having the street party open to everyone, regardless of tickets or not will increase the risk of a terrorist related attack is so convoluted, and ridiculous that I have to laugh at it.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is what they did while building Tower 1 – all the wood pieces were later replaced with vents.
There are no vents in the glazing on tower 1. I think they just broke those panels when installing. There's still a couple that need to be replaced. There are "vents" in the east side along hargrave in behind the grey horizontal pieces (where the green siding looking stuff previously was).

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ticketmaster already has all that jazz from me anyways, so makes no difference. As I would think many of the other people attending as well. Privacy is dead, get used to it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

These are not the first Stanley Cup playoffs. How have other cities dealt with crowds outside of the playing venue? There were no entry tickets required for the Portage Ave. street party back in the early 2000s and I very much doubt that tickets were required to celebrate war's end in both 1918 and 1945. Were people better behaved? Doubt it.

Just another example of looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. That seems to be what governments do of late, as they are inept at addressing problems of significance. If there was concerns about overcapacity in the designated area near the arena then a secondary area should have been opened at the Forks. How many people go to see the fireworks for Canada Day at the Forks? Do they need tickets?

Anyone know who is paying for the tickets to be printed? Is it True North or is it Economic Development Wpg through public funds?

Anyways they took the fun out of it and people are talking with their feet. Attendance last night dropped to less than half of what was expected despite excellent weather.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
After all, Winnipeg is on top of every terrorist list of places to strike

If you have an argument, please keep it real. The idea that having the street party open to everyone, regardless of tickets or not will increase the risk of a terrorist related attack is so convoluted, and ridiculous that I have to laugh at it.
We're not talking about international terrorism. We're talking about one nutjob. Like I said in my post. Which you quoted. You don't think there's disturbed people in Winnipeg? There are. It's a reality of modern life. Most attacks these days are not carried out by some coordinated terrorist organization but rather one lonely dude who wants to make a name for himself. I'm not talking about ISIS. It just takes one deranged person to do a lot of harm all on their own.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It blows my mind a little that people are complaining so much about something that's free and had to be thrown together in a pretty short time with no model in place to follow. Resources are limited. Considering they have to setup and teardown the whole thing each time within the space of one day I'm mighty impressed with what they've been able to pull together. Some fans seem to be living in a fantasy land where the party could just organically expand endlessly and accommodate an unlimited number of people.
Have you followed deep playoff runs in other Canadian cities? Since 2004, Calgary(04), Edmonton(06), Ottawa(07), and Vancouver(11) have all had street parties and gathering places to watch the games, or party with each win. It was inevitable. The City of Winnipeg had to place the event somewhere, or fans would ahve spontaneously gathered, and perhaps shut down Portage and Main, or areas around the arena.

The people that are supporting this ridiculous ticket campaign do not realize that once the Jets won the first round it was bound to happen. We should not be thanking EDWinnipeg for setting this up, if they are going to ruin what was once a fun gathering. After all, the city had to do something, and its our tax money that is being used. If the Street Party was not planned, fans would have just flooded areas like the Osborne Village, Little Italy, and Portage Ave, causing confusion and wasting Police resources on dealing with drunken fans running onto busy Winnipeg streets, or diverting traffic repeatedly.

With the exception of Vancouver (which has a history of rioting), Stanley Cup runs in Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa went off with relatively few problems . Only those cities planned things better than Winnipeg. Here, the ticket scheme issue has exposed flaws in the way large gatherings are organized.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You just showed how out to lunch you really are. We're not talking about international terrorism. We're talking about one nutjob. Like I said in my post. Which you quoted. You don't think there's disturbed people in Winnipeg? There are. It's a reality of modern life. Most attacks these days are not carried out by some coordinated terrorist organization but rather one lonely dude who wants to make a name for himself. I'm not talking about ISIS. It just takes one deranged person to do a lot of harm all on their own. Maybe read things before you respond to them next time.
No, YOU are the one that is out of touch. Stop watching FOX news 24 hours, and you may realize how idiotic you sound. If a mentally disturbed person wants to commit an act of terror, they will do so regardless of attendance numbers. Should we cancel every outdoor event, and stay inside 24/7?

There have been two cases of terror related incidents in the last couple of years in Canada. A person in Edmonton ran over pedestrians at a bus stop in downtown, and the same event took place this month in Toronto. In each case, there was absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent the atttack. We're talking about a dozen people waiting at a bus stop.

Terrorism exists everywhere. It's been a fact of life since the beginning of human history. Maybe you should stay indoors, or get professional therapy, if you are that worried about terrorism. It's not healthy to think like that. As one poster pointed out:

""Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
Wont' get into the deep philosophical here. But we are all just pawns in a large scheme of power and control. Our lives are based around this in every way. Enjoy it the best you can.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
You just showed how out to lunch you really are. We're not talking about international terrorism. We're talking about one nutjob. Like I said in my post. Which you quoted. You don't think there's disturbed people in Winnipeg? There are. It's a reality of modern life. Most attacks these days are not carried out by some coordinated terrorist organization but rather one lonely dude who wants to make a name for himself. I'm not talking about ISIS. It just takes one deranged person to do a lot of harm all on their own. Maybe read things before you respond to them next time.
Society can not allow itself to become gripped by excessive paranoia. Are we to ban all outdoor festivities because of what could happen?

No Canada Day fireworks this year. No Fringe Fest. No Taste of Manitoba. Perhaps even the popular beaches should be closed too, and the Santa Claus parade cancelled. Not safe.

As we saw in Toronto recently, where people were mowed down by a car on a regular weekday afternoon, unfortunate as it is, there is essentially nothing that can be done to prevent these types of attacks.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There are no vents in the glazing on tower 1. I think they just broke those panels when installing. There's still a couple that need to be replaced. There are "vents" in the east side along hargrave in behind the grey horizontal pieces (where the green siding looking stuff previously was).
There are in parts of the podium – and yeah there's lots of vents facing Carlton/Graham lower down that were boarded for a while and are now vents.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:45 PM
What could go wrong?

I actually got tired of reading all these posts in this thread. They need to be stopped and put in the Jets thread to continue. There is some small discussion going on here about tower 2 and it is currently being drowned out.

Adrian to move it?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:45 PM

Ah, in the podium. Okay. I was just meaning the top tower portion.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:00 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
No, YOU are the one that is out of touch. Stop watching FOX news 24 hours, and you may realize how idiotic you sound. If a mentally disturbed person wants to commit an act of terror, they will do so regardless of attendance numbers. Should we cancel every outdoor event, and stay inside 24/7?
To be fair:

- Windypeg's simple recognition that what we face is the occasional mentally disturbed individual, is the exact opposite of FOX News would claim. FOX News would be screaming "ISIS! ISIS AND HILLARY!!! IN YOUR HOME TOWN!!!"

- Windypeg isn't calling for people to "cancel every outdoor event, and stay inside 24/7." Just a reasonable recognition that there ARE in fact dangers to be mitigated.

- Windypeg indicated that he was at the party last night, enjoying himself.

- Your words... "how idiotic you sound," "Maybe you should stay indoors, or get professional therapy," "It's not healthy to think like that"... You should consider them yourself. If you can't handle someone expressing a reasonable concern, maybe you should stay offline or get professional therapy. It's not healthy to think like that.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is what they did while building Tower 1 – all the wood pieces were later replaced with vents.
You guys mean these pcs of wood? They are now vents? As in slotted vents or mechanical windows?

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I actually got tired of reading all these posts in this thread. They need to be stopped and put in the Jets thread to continue. There is some small discussion going on here about tower 2 and it is currently being drowned out.

Adrian to move it?
Sorry, somehow we got sidetracked. Oh ya, the sidewalk at street level.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:11 PM

No they are not vents. There may be some vents in the podium glass that were previously wood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan