HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Huntington Beach ... I mean "hcaeB notgnitnuH"
When I was a kid, we sometimes went to Seal Beach or nearby H B. You almost always got tar on your feet. Tar balls were in the sand from offshore oil activities. My mom carried a little tin of lighter fluid to get the tar off when we left. Couldn't get tar in the car.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

OK, here's a mystery location that I don't know the answer to.

I found it on a website honoring the child actress Lassie Lou.

"The Helen Holmes Serial (1924)"
I think Webs of Steel deserves a hard look, based on its description at
Amazon
:
Star Helen Holmes performed her own stunts; one involving a runaway train speeding toward a child trapped on a trestle.
Also, the cover picture shows her wearing a big hat.

From Necessary Storms:
In 1925 they made five features. One, Webs of Steel, is one of the more unusual films of the era ─ the Helen in this movie is the Helen of old: strong, intelligent, fearless. She rescues a child and a puppy on a railroad trestle while wearing high heels.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:42 PM

Thanks for the information, Mackerm!

Let's start the week off with a mystery location.

Original Slide, 1964 Los Angeles Street Scene, Perma-Hair of Hollywood & Chop Suey Cafe.

eBay

for search purposes: hair weev of california - perma hair of hollywood - barber shop - chop suey cafe - lane's invisible french weaving - millinery hobby shop - abbco glass & mirror co. - hatters - pawn shop -

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:50 PM

Here's one more.

eBay

cheerio gifts - dept. store

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:

Original Slide, 1964 Los Angeles Street Scene, Perma-Hair of Hollywood & Chop Suey Cafe.

eBay

for search purposes: hair weev of california - perma hair of hollywood - barber shop - chop suey cafe - lane's invisible french weaving - millinery hobby shop - abbco glass & mirror co. - hatters - pawn shop -

We're looking at the west side of the 3900 block of S Western Avenue. The image below is from the 1965 CD because Abbco Glass & Mirror Co wasn't there in the 1964 CD. For search purposes, we have Perma-Hair of Hollywood at 3927, Champs Barber Shop at 3925, Bobby Hat Shop at 3921, Abbco Glass & Mirror Co at 3919, Eastern Hatters at 3917 Dorothy's Steak House at 3915 and Western Loan at 3911.

The site is now home to a more modern building housing DaVita Los Angeles Dialysis Center.

LAPL

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed the Palm Vue Motel in the list above. We only saw this a few days ago - it would've been right across the street

Quote:

Here's another theater that hasn't garnered much (if any) interest on NLA.

The Western Theater on the 3900 block of S. Western Avenue. ....FAR RIGHT - - - >

cinematreasures
The other image is the north end of the same block. Cheerio Cards was at 3903 and Bon Marche Department Store was at 3901.

Quote:

Here's one more.

eBay

Cheerio gifts - dept. store

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 7:24 PM

I went to look at Historic Aerials to see when this block was demolished. The northern end with the department store had gone by 1972, replaced by a gas station. At the southern end, the buildings lasted longer, so, on a hunch, I looked at the older GSV images. The Perma-Hair store and its neighbor lasted until at least 2009 (they were gone by 2011). I think the Flamingo Mirrors & Glass sign is the same one which once said Chop Suey Cafe. There's a parking lot there today!

GSV

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:52 AM

Quote:

eBay

Can you still find "chop suey"? Are there any Chop Suey signs or places left? Used to be common 50+ years ago. I think "egg foo young" is also hard to find now days. Chop suey + egg foo young seemed to go together with fried rice, fried shrimp, chow mein & fortune cookies. It wasn't bad. Whether it was authentic Chinese, probably not. Probably invented in the CA gold rush in the Chinese camps and some of the bolder 49ers tried it and liked it. Better than the slop they were used to. American "Chinese" food was born.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 22, 2020 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Can you still find "chop suey"? Are there any Chop Suey signs or places left? Used to be common 50+ years ago. I think "egg foo young" is also hard to find now days. Chop suey + egg foo young seemed to go together with fried rice, fried shrimp, chow mein & fortune cookies. It wasn't bad. Whether it was authentic Chinese, probably not. Probably invented in the CA gold rush in the Chinese camps and some of the bolder 49ers tried it and liked it. Better than the slop they were used to. American "Chinese" food was born.
First place that sprang to mind - Far East, in Little Tokyo:

... but they don't actually serve chop suey!

The stuff you're talking about isAmerican Chinese food”... but that doesn't stop me from loving the stuff.

My mom always loved Egg Foo Young, and was very sad when it became virtually impossible to find.

Then I discovered Won Kok in Chinatown. They have all the old classics and it tastes just like it did back in the 1970s.

I order shrimp Egg Fu Young practically every time I go there.

I love the place, and go there as often as possible, but be warned - I've had a few friends, with more modern, refined tastes... and they think Won Kok is greasy and awful.

I think it's greasy and terrific!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:56 PM

A distillery in Burbank?...Burbank, California! ? .... Wh a a a a a t?

Currently on eBay

Seller's description:..."NEGATIVE OF THE THREE G DISTILLERY BURBANK CALIFORNIA"

eBay

The Three G. G. G Distillery Corp.,... Burbank, California. You can make out the three G's on top of the grain elevator

and if you look closely SG GIN is painted on one of the buildings at the left edge of the photo.

detail

The 'S' might be a partially hidden G.

Let's take a closer look at the grain elevator.

Does anyone know where, in Burbank, this distillery was located?

Oh. . .and one more thing.

I can't ignore the beautiful tree standing all alone.

odinthor, is this a Big Leaf Maple?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 22, 2020 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:

[...]

Oh. . .and one more thing.

I can't ignore the beautiful tree standing all alone.

odinthor, is this a Big Leaf Maple?

e_r, I'm betting on Quercus agrifolia, the Coast Live Oak!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:

eBay

I would have guessed Hollywood or Fairfax area based on the building stock. Wasn't expecting it to be all the way down at 39th st.

South LA in the 60s seems otherworldly... the side by side hair weave places, the pastel art deco storefronts, the vintage streetlamps. Surely this picture slipped in form a different timeline.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:03 PM

Won Kok is one of my favorites, too!
Love that place.
Foo Chow on Hill Street, Bamboo Kitchen on 7th, and Paul's Kitchen on San Pedro Street all have Chop Suey and Egg foo young on the menu. The former Paul's Kitchen #2 on Jefferson (Now hiding under a stucco infill as Tim's Chinese) also has both dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

The stuff you're talking about isAmerican Chinese food”... but that doesn't stop me from loving the stuff.

My mom always loved Egg Foo Young, and was very sad when it became virtually impossible to find.

Then I discovered Won Kok in Chinatown. They have all the old classics and it tastes just like it did back in the 1970s.

I love the place, and go there as often as possible, but be warned - I've had a few friends, with more modern, refined tastes... and they think Won Kok is greasy and awful.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:24 PM

Farewell my Lovely (1975)

Quote:
The restaurant where Philip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum) meets Moose Malloy.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:

A distillery in Burbank?...Burbank, California! ? .... Wh a a a a a t?

Currently on eBay

Seller's description:..."NEGATIVE OF THE THREE G DISTILLERY BURBANK CALIFORNIA"

eBay
So many sources just list the Three G Distillery Corp's address as "Burbank, California". This includes the various bottles, adverts and even the court cases that I came across. Eventually, I found the location in a book catchily titled Investigation of the National Recovery Administration, Volume 6 by United States Congress Senate Committee on Finance. It dates from 1935, and provides the inset below. The main image is a detail from a 1938 aerial view. Although San Fernando Boulevard is easy to see, it looks like Ontario Street was little more than a track.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Looking through the images at Historic Aerials, I think the site survived until the late-70s.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:42 PM

^^^

Do you think they meant 5335 Melrose "Avenue"? I can find no Melrose "Street" in L.A. or the valley. Though that address is Paramount Studios. (A front for a distillery?)

THIS INFO IS LIKELY INCORRECT:
And this website says the Burbank distillery was located "on Magnolia Blvd. near Buena Vista." (2.3 miles south of Ontario St. and San Fernando Blvd.)
https://myburbank.com/flashback-friday-3-g-distillery/

One 3G Distillery item from Burbankers Remember (11/11) has this info:
The 3G Distillery was made into a sub factory for Lockheed just before WWII; that is how it went out of business.
http://wesclark.com/burbank/burbankers_remember.html

The above "sub factory" for Lockheed mention is not referencing submarines, but rather something as an addition or Annex to Lockheed.
In this book: Lockheed: The People Behind the Story, there is this:

Arda E. Lee: Mechanic. With the P-38 in production, Lockheed was running out of floor space. To help alleviate this problem, Lockheed bought the 3G Distillery approximately one mile up the road and mved all tooling to this location. The former owners reserved the right to one building that was stored with aging whiskey until it was ready to be bottled.

The 3G Distillery was located near a small town named Roscoe. Until then hardly anyone had heard of Roscoe, but with newspapers kidding about the name, fathers had enough and they officially changed the name to Sun Valley. The plant was known as the 3-G Plant. These buildings housed all Lockheed tooling and manufacturing and was located west of the Verdugo Mountain Range with Sunland and Tujunga located on the east side. It was over these rugged uninhabited hills that test pilots performed part of the test dives and was plainly visible from the 3-G Plant.

Richard P. "Dick" DeGrey, Jr.: Draftsman, Designer, Engineer, Division Manager, Project Engineer, and Program Manager: I was transferred to the P38 Project. [...] Lockheed had purchased the 3G Whiskey Distillery, just north of San Fernando Rd. to gain more floor space to design and produce the Model. Part of the 3G complex included a bonded whiskey warehouse full of oak barrells that were removed on weekends as their time came up. Coming to work on Monday morning was quite an experience. The whole place reeked of whiskey. I guess some of the barrels leaked or were damaged in the shipping process.

Or:

Last edited by Martin Pal; Sep 22, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:00 PM

I also found this map on Facebook which gives the San Fernando/Ontario location. It looks like some of the site had become part of Lockheed by 1949.

The caption says "Here's the 1949 Sanborn Fire Map of the Three G Distillery / Lockheed Manufacturing Site at San Fernando Road and Ontario St., Burbank. No doubt that Lockheed added some covered Square Footage from the time that Robert Gross purchased this property in 1939."

Michael Ragan on Facebook

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Can you still find "chop suey"? Are there any Chop Suey signs or places left?

This one is at the Grand Central Market

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:03 AM

Burl's Room, Hollywood Blvd. at Hillhurst, has been mentioned a couple of times, starting with a matchbook post by HossC back on page 1402....Hoss bemoaned the fact that we had not seen a photo of the place, this 1966 image from the recently released Ed Ruscha collection remedies that.

In a follow up to the original post Hollywood Graham provided this...

"Here's some Noir for you ....Rosemary LaBianca, prior to her marriage, was a waitress at the Burl Room. Yes, THAT Rosemary LaBianca. This tidbit is mentioned in the LAPD Homicide report."

The building was also covered on pg. 2553-4, with a photo of the structure in its original glory.  

For some reason, despite the prior posts, I kept thinking the Burl's at Hollywood/Hillhurst was a drive-in....Burl's #2, at Pico and Beverly Dr., was most definitely a drive-in, see my post on pg. 2731, screen grabs from the 1952 release "The Ring".

Ruscha returned to the corner in Aug. 1975....the rear lounge portion of Burl's was now a separate cocktail/dance place....as a bonus, we get a "Chop Suey" sign....  

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:

...and if you look closely SG GIN is painted on one of the buildings at the left edge of the photo.

detail

The 'S' might be a partially hidden G.
Or a "3"?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:

eBay

Quote:

I wonder if they deliver to north San Diego County? I want that for dinner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos