HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:17 PM

^^ Isn't the garage w shops just to the south up for development as well ?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:32 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I don't know, i think i would be more interested in paying a visit to O.G's Hoes...i bet its a good time in there!!
That would have been OG Shoes, a little gem who's modern facade was a product of the American Terra Cotta Company:

X

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:58 AM

I think there was a storefront like that on State in the loop but it might have just gotten replaced. There was a shoe store and a men's clothier still rocking old fashioned storefronts.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:37 AM
dream fast

11/23

Rehab of the tired Self-Park at Randolph & Wells

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:43 AM
TL;DR

I have mixed feelings about CHA but I do agree with the idea of a mixed income community at the Ickes site, regardless of the underwhelming design at Roosevelt Square, Stateway, etc.

Seems like planners are acknowledging the transit-oriented nature of the site, and I believe they are suggesting at least one high rise on the State/Cermak corner that is similar in scale to the Hilliard Homes. We've also seen them test the waters on midrise buildings at ParkSide. This could actually end up being a pretty urban neighborhood if they keep the townhouses to a minimum.

The bigger question is whether this is actually a desirable site. The last and only high rise on Cermak was the failed Lexington Park. Other loft developments south of Cermak have also had a mixed record. Ideally the new CTA stop will encourage homebuyers and renters to consider this area.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:19 AM

There are two new high rises coming soon on Cermak just down the street with the McPier hotel and event stadium, and the McHugh/Antunovich hotel even closer. Those two McProjects are infusing a huge amount of foot traffic and dining/entertainment into the area, which will dramatically change the atmosphere on Cermak east of 55. The area is heating up, and the value of that juicy undeveloped property right on Cermak most likely skyrocketed.

I think it's great. There is tons of untapped potential in the South Loop between Cermak and Roosevelt.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:46 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
There are two new high rises coming soon on Cermak just down the street with the McPier hotel and event stadium, and the McHugh/Antunovich hotel even closer. Those two McProjects are infusing a huge amount of foot traffic and dining/entertainment into the area, which will dramatically change the atmosphere on Cermak east of 55. The area is heating up, and the value of that juicy undeveloped property right on Cermak most likely skyrocketed.

I think it's great. There is tons of untapped potential in the South Loop between Cermak and Roosevelt.
These are previously unreleased projects, I'm assuming? If so, got any sweet renderings for us?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
These are previously unreleased projects, I'm assuming? If so, got any sweet renderings for us?
No, they're pretty publicized projects.

McPier: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207501

McHugh doesn't have a thread: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...-community.php

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
All you have to do is look at the post above to figure out the point.... A better question is what was that person's point.
It's the same person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Credit Jewelers refers to selling on credit, and the "Diamonds" and "Bond" are two different signs.

"Diamonds" is attached to the Hollands sign. Now called Rogers and Hollands.
And the Bond sign is Bond's clothiers who were right next door
Pwned

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:58 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
No, they're pretty publicized projects.

McPier: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207501

McHugh doesn't have a thread: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...-community.php
Ah nevermind, sorry. Thought you were referring to new/previously unknown projects.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:01 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Ah nevermind, sorry. Thought you were referring to new/previously unknown projects.
There are more high-rises being planned around there I think one by JRG, and one at the old Chicago Defender building.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:04 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
It's the same person?
The person stating "and there aren't any pawn shops" promoted the response. My suspicion is that person believes that those are the only stores found/suitable in englewood today.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I have mixed feelings about CHA but I do agree with the idea of a mixed income community at the Ickes site, regardless of the underwhelming design at Roosevelt Square, Stateway, etc.

Seems like planners are acknowledging the transit-oriented nature of the site, and I believe they are suggesting at least one high rise on the State/Cermak corner that is similar in scale to the Hilliard Homes. We've also seen them test the waters on midrise buildings at ParkSide. This could actually end up being a pretty urban neighborhood if they keep the townhouses to a minimum.

The bigger question is whether this is actually a desirable site. The last and only high rise on Cermak was the failed Lexington Park. Other loft developments south of Cermak have also had a mixed record. Ideally the new CTA stop will encourage homebuyers and renters to consider this area.

My guess is that it actually will be a very desirable site. I think that if this cycle is long enough, one of its biggest transformations in the entire city could very well be the near south side..........I think smart investors and developers are realizing this and have been...er...gobbling...up available sites.....

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
11/23

Rehab of the tired Self-Park at Randolph & Wells

Any signs of demo yet at the Walgreens (future 151 N Franklin)?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Speaking of, in addition to the Chicago Athletic Association (12 S. Mich) getting a Shake Shack in the lobby, they'll be getting a new restaurant from the guys behind Longman & Eagle, which should be a fairly big deal considering their pedigree.

In addition to 7 Lions, that's at least 3 potentially major foodie destinations coming soon to South Michigan Avenue, a street that previously didn't have much to offer the pedestrian or tourist.

While I too think there are some pretty exciting changes underway along central/south Michigan, I wouldn't agree that the street previously didn't have much to offer the average pedestrian or tourist. It may have never had much appeal to you or other individuals, but there have always been throngs in the trinket shops, the low-mid price eating establishments, etc - and pedestrian traffic has long been robust. Also, even from a higher-end/somewhat trendier food perspective, don't forget Henri and The Gage had long been there side-by-side....

At any rate, again, all of the changes currently in the works make for some exciting times.....

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
"credit jewelers" and "diamonds on bond" look like pawn shops.
so what? the "class" of economic activity isnt as important as it being vibrant. theres adequate transit in that picture, the streetscape is in tact/human scaled/walkable, and it is filled with pedestrians going about their day. not saying that era was Mayberry but certainly better than what we're left with.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:23 PM

Toured Old Colony today. Harry took a bunch of photos, they'll be on Curbed after Thanksgiving most likely, and any that aren't published he's free to post here.

The short of it, though, is it seems like it's a very thorough restoration.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:48 PM

anyone know when Northerly island is set to be completed?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:59 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Toured Old Colony today. Harry took a bunch of photos, they'll be on Curbed after Thanksgiving most likely, and any that aren't published he's free to post here.

The short of it, though, is it seems like it's a very thorough restoration.
Look forward to seeing those pics.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:20 PM
Closed account

Proposed TOD for the NE Corner of Southport and Roscoe, immediately south of the Southport EL. Currently the site of Rise Sushi and a pretty nice liquor store/wine shop:

http://www.44thward.org/site/epage/155982_1026.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development