HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 8:03 AM
disorient yourself?

Seattle - Head On A Swivel

It's been a weird year and I have been spending much of it in the PNW, specifically in Seattle. The city has been going through a "transformation" which kind of feels like a combination of opposite things. You can look up at a glittering new building and see something out of The Great Gatsby, while the sidewalk looks like The Walking Dead, and the parklet across the street looks like something you would see in a slum in Kinshasa or Monrovia, and at the same time a few blocks away a scene from Mad Max is unfolding with black-clad anarcho-communists wearing pee-wee football pads and attacking a police station with moltov cocktails, but the best food is over there so what are you supposed to do? It's like the Garden of Eden meets the "roaring 20's" meets Tragedy Of The Commons. Despite all of that I love it up here and can't stop looking at everything.

----

Last edited by Reverberation; Dec 17, 2020 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:22 AM

Am I the first one to make comment or what.

This year has been weird that's for sure, yet cannot see much of certainty for the coming one.

It is not always a good thing to be a planner eh...so live everyday to the fullest.

Last edited by Murphy de la Sucre; Dec 18, 2020 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Great photos, what a time to be alive

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:38 PM

Thanks for sharing these, it's a great set.

That new tower adds some classical balance to the already-fantastic Seattle skyline. It's such a beautiful city.

But goddamn, above-ground power lines can ruin a shot. And a mood.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:09 PM

Great set, thank you.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:16 AM
Me?!?

Wonderful pics and I enjoyed your intro, similar here in Philly also. Strange strange times. My theory is that something must have happened similar to Back to the Future II where somebody messed with something and we ended up on an alternate timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Am I the first one to make comment or what.

This year has been weird that's for sure, and cannot see much of certainty for the coming one.

It is not always a good thing to be a planner eh...so live everyday to the fullest.
Besides the pandemic stuff that we are all are dealing with my entire life has been completely turned upside down this year and yes, trying to live every day to the fullest is the best way to go, especially when it is difficult to do so.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Wonderful pics and I enjoyed your intro, similar here in Philly also. Strange strange times. My theory is that something must have happened similar to Back to the Future II where somebody messed with something and we ended up on an alternate timeline.

Besides the pandemic stuff that we are all are dealing with my entire life has been completely turned upside down this year and yes, trying to live every day to the fullest is the best way to go, especially when it is difficult to do so.
If an adult life has been turned upside down completely...it is normally marriage related.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:12 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post

I see you included a random shot of Southern California too!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:41 AM
Never Dell

That was a fun little exercise. It's part of the Issaquah Highlands, a sort-of-new-urbanist outpost on a hilltop in Issaquah.

Same perspective.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 11:36 PM

I was in Seattle for the first time about a year and a half ago. I really enjoyed my stay. What a beautiful city. The whole PNW is like another world. Thanks for sharing!

Side Note: I was going to post some pics on here, but never got around to it. I was going to title it "Seattle and Mythical Mount Rainer." The whole time I was there, I never saw Mount Rainer, despite visiting Kerry Park (of course it was raining that day) and the Sky View Observatory at Columbia Center (beautiful sunny day). Well, I did actually catch a glimpse of the very tip top of it while on the light rail headed to the airport.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:06 AM

Fantastic set, Reverb. Glad to see a new photo thread from you.

For those in the know, does parking perpendicular to a steep slope angle like this black Subaru (?) is doing screw your car up? Especially long-term like you'd presumably be doing in your own driveway? I'd imagine this can't be good for your transmission.

EDIT: Just realized I already posted here

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:09 AM
Never Dell

Dunno, but living on a hill like that will do good things for your legs unless you're a complete slug and never walk anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Dunno, but living on a hill like that will do good things for your legs unless you're a complete slug and never walk anywhere.
Hahaha, I walked up and down hills like that when I was in Seattle and my calves and thighs were just fine. My shins, however, were killing me the next day. I guess my shins are just out of shape

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:15 PM

I really love seeing a "terrace" of buildings on a hillside. There was a picture of White Rock in another thread that showed the same thing and looking at these instantly reminded me of that. Living in a flat area can get boring sometimes. But of course Seattle is a very dynamic and vibrant city in other ways too and these photos show that very well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos