HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 1:42 PM

Avalon Mall are the owners of Woodgate Plaza where ToysRUs are. I thought someone posted on here some time ago that they plan on demolishing most of the plaza except ToysRUs and building a strip mall much like they have next door where Globo Shoes is and Roots are etc.

Haven't heard or seen any activity on the Marshalls store though Smart Centres do have it listed on their store area map as being in the old future shop space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I believe you are correct unsaying that there are big plans for the plaza, as I believe the owners are moving out the long term lease tenants. I heard that the only part of the building that will remain is the Toy's R Us portion.

On another note, does anyone have any update on the Marshall's store that is supposed to go into the old Future Store? I don't see any activity up there as of yet?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Avalon Mall are the owners of Woodgate Plaza where ToysRUs are. I thought someone posted on here some time ago that they plan on demolishing most of the plaza except ToysRUs and building a strip mall much like they have next door where Globo Shoes is and Roots are etc.

Haven't heard or seen any activity on the Marshalls store though Smart Centres do have it listed on their store area map as being in the old future shop space.
Yes I do remember this conversation now, actually I believe I contributed to it... LOL!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I believe you are correct unsaying that there are big plans for the plaza, as I believe the owners are moving out the long term lease tenants. I heard that the only part of the building that will remain is the Toy's R Us portion.

On another note, does anyone have any update on the Marshall's store that is supposed to go into the old Future Store? I don't see any activity up there as of yet?

There have been job ads out. I guess they could have been for Winners but they said Marshalls. There hasn't been any activity though, unless people are working inside but I haven't noticed vehicles there.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 10:50 PM

Was at Avalon Mall today. First time in ages. Telus has moved from their old location to just a few doors up to a much much larger store. Almost feels like an Apple Store inside. It's pretty nice. Here is a web link ...

http://theovercast.ca/new-tech-toyla...y-3-in-canada/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Was at Avalon Mall today. First time in ages. Telus has moved from their old location to just a few doors up to a much much larger store. Almost feels like an Apple Store inside. It's pretty nice. Here is a web link ...

http://theovercast.ca/new-tech-toyla...y-3-in-canada/
Smart of them. Fills a void of modern electronic retail stores in St John's. It's kind of annoying that we don't have an Apple Store or even a Microsoft Store here.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:31 PM

Sad to see that Henry's St. John's is closing Oct 22.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
There have been job ads out. I guess they could have been for Winners but they said Marshalls. There hasn't been any activity though, unless people are working inside but I haven't noticed vehicles there.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...en-in-spring/1

Quote:
Marshalls retail store, affiliated with Winners, has confirmed it’s opening a store in St. John’s next spring.

Work has been ongoing at the former Future Shop location on Stavanger Drive, adjacent Old Navy.

A spokeswoman told The Telegram today the Marshalls store is on the confirmed list of scheduled spring openings, but did not elaborate on a specific location.

Further details are expected in late 2016 or early in the new year.

Marshalls markets itself as an “off-price retailer” offering brand name and designer fashions at 20-60 per cent less than department and specialty stores, with a revolving stock that’s “never the same selection twice.”

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:55 AM

Wish they were opening sooner.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:12 PM

I read in the Overcast yesterday that the old Dominion on Ropewalk is being converted to a No Frills.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:02 PM

Funny, I heard that it was going to be a Dollarama but there's no confirmation on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I read in the Overcast yesterday that the old Dominion on Ropewalk is being converted to a No Frills.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:59 PM

Unhappy

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Unfortunately it seems Golftown's days are numbered. They filed for bankruptcy protection not too long ago. Many locations nationwide are closing.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 5:10 PM

They prob had a lot of cool clothes that arent golf related but because I have no interest in golf, Ive never stepped inside their door since they opened here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Unfortunately it seems Golftown's days are numbered. They filed for bankruptcy protection not too long ago. Many locations nationwide are closing.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Funny, I heard that it was going to be a Dollarama but there's no confirmation on it.
Landlord confirms it's a Dollarama.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:55 PM

I passed by the old Dominion on Ropewalk Lane last evening and noticed that windows have been installed across the entire front of the building. Lights were on and I could see inside. The building is now subdivided into 2 spaces. I guess we can assume that No Frills and Dollarama will be opening up there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I passed by the old Dominion on Ropewalk Lane last evening and noticed that windows have been installed across the entire front of the building. Lights were on and I could see inside. The building is now subdivided into 2 spaces. I guess we can assume that No Frills and Dollarama will be opening up there.
Yes, I heard it's going to be both No Frills and Dollarama. Great to see both coming to that area. I wonder if No Frills will be much competition for the Sobey's across the street.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:36 PM

Any news on what's going in the old Dominion location at Torbay Rd/Newfoundland Drive? I'd heard Coleman's was going to buy it or had bought it, but doesn't look like any activity happening around there lately. Anyone have any updates?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Any news on what's going in the old Dominion location at Torbay Rd/Newfoundland Drive? I'd heard Coleman's was going to buy it or had bought it, but doesn't look like any activity happening around there lately. Anyone have any updates?
Coleman's have it leased, hearing next summer it will open.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:09 PM

Health Cannabis opens shop on Water Street in St. John's

Quote:
New marijuana business is for 'members only,' according to sign on locked front door

A new business called Health Cannabis has taken over a vacant storefront on Water Street in downtown St. John's.

The minimal-looking business, with HC Inc. on its exterior, has a locked door and a sign that reads "members only," and directs people to a website to register for membership.

Inside, it smells like marijuana.

The Health Cannabis website does not call the business a "dispensary" for medical marijuana and related products.

"Health Cannabis Inc. is a Canadian company focused on improving the quality of life for those living with chronic and terminal illnesses through the use of medical marihuana [sic]," the website states.

Health Cannabis has two other locations, in Etobicoke and Newmarket, Ont.

Anyone looking to become a member can register, once they provide identification, including a photo, and a prescription for medical marijuana.

People who visit the Health Cannabis page are also directed to several supplier sites, where a wide variety of marijuana strains and products can be selected.

Legal or not?

According to Health Canada, medical marijuana is not permitted to be sold in a dispensary — it must be delivered by Canada Post or courier.

Dozens of dispensaries across Canada have been opening recently due to changes with federal marijuana legislation. The dispensaries are not legal — at least, not yet — and in some cities police have been cracking down.

CBC News has put in a request for comment to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary and RCMP.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...reet-1.3834427

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 11:46 AM

Just noticed this from VOCM regarding the pedway at the Avalon Mall.
http://vocm.com/news/avalon-mall-loo...ges-with-city/

This is a private property looking for assistance from the city to rebuild their pedway. I don't agree with this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's