HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]624 S La Brea known as Campanile of late.

The La Brea Bakery! Cool.

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 9:42 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 10:49 PM

Aand this was Seymour's mother's house in opening shots of original B/W "Little Shop Of Horror"

Last edited by rick m; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: duplicate --

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 10:50 PM

And this was Seymour's mother's house in original "Little Shop Of Horror"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 11:07 PM

This tree once grew within the perimeter wall of the Lewis Bradbury mansion - across No.Hill is the Sarah Bixby house - next to Stevens Apts adjacent to top of Court Flight. The tree probably 4 stories in height- likely just a weed-like ash tree.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:16 AM

Hollywood, late '50s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LpPKAhW9-s

Answers to questions not yet posed?

Focus on imagery, with less emphasis on sound and editorial content.

Remember, yield to pedestrians?

Last edited by BifRayRock; Nov 24, 2012 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5326708/

Does anyone know if this 'memorial' is still at LAX?
___

Yes, it's outside the LAX Flight Path Museum on Imperial Hwy!

- Photos by me

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 9:13 AM

Quote:
435 N. La Brea - neither rust nor La Brea ever sleep

USC Digital

Present - google
The building is still standing, albeit subsumed into a much larger complex:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 9:19 AM

La Dow, Then and Now?

Photograph of a view of students posing in front of the La Dow School in Los Angeles, ca.1885. A large number of young children can be seen lined up along a wooden picket fence in the foreground. Several adults are visible as well, standing behind the group at left. The two-story schoolhouse is in the background. It is a clapboard building with a tall bell tower at center. Two large trees are visible, one of which partially blocks the view of the school.

Photoprint reads: "The La Dow School. District formed in the late 60's. Named in honor of S.W. La Dow who gave the first site for a schoolhouse. Boundaries -- east, Figueroa Street, north Jefferson, south Manchester, west Pacific Ocean. [Wow, just going to school every day was a field trip!] About 1873 acre purchased across street, southeast corner of Vernon and Normandie and two story building erected. Lower part classroom, upper hall for meetings, dances, etc. When two teachers were needed, a room was added about 1884. Also, as pupils increased new districts were formed in the old one to take care of them. In 1906, the district was within territory annexed by Los Angeles and it became a part of the L.A. City School system. In 1908 the old buildings were sold and moved away and a new building erected. This is now the Normandie [...] schools, 4416 S. Normandie Ave. The old school house is now located on Vernon just east of Vermont and looks about the same as this photo shows it. Bell tower removed". [my emphasis]

[Text and picture from USC Digital Library: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...1353738219214]

# # #

With the above italicized text in mind, here's 970 W. Vernon Avenue, just east of Vermont and about a half mile from Vernon and Normandie:

- Photo by me

The LA County Assessor website says 970 W. Vernon was built in 1899/1900, which doesn't match the info with the old picture, but it's listed as a commercial/industrial building, which could be consistent with the reuse of a former school building.

Obviously there are differences between the buildings in the two photos (e.g., the rear half looks bigger now -- enlarged when the bell tower was removed? -- and the windows on the front half are closer to the roof in the old photo). But unless the info for the 1885 photo is wrong, or other similar-looking buildings were built in the area back then (and there's nothing else like it on either side of that block of Vernon), it seems like it would be a coincidence if 970 W. Vernon isn't the former c. 1873 La Dow School.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 17, 2023 at 6:13 AM. Reason: fix broken PB link

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 3:27 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:14 PM

http://tmblr.co/ZvK8Dx9Yzvpb

"...colder than a ticket taker's smile at the Ivar Theater..." (Tom Waits)

ca. 1980's, when I spent a lot of time exploring LA after business trips to the Honeywell facility in West Covina. In those days the company would let you fly night first class because it was the same fare as day coach, so after the last meeting I'd meander my way to LAX and the Western red-eye to Minneapolis. It left at 1 AM, and the last flight to Vegas left at midnight from the same terminal. Watching that plane board was better than a trip to the zoo. And no, that's not me in the picture :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
ModernCraft Laundry - 900 N La Brea - Morgan Walls & Clements

Present.
google

LAPL

Date uncertain

CalStLib
Bif you're posting some great stuff of labrea,the only building im waiting for is the present 99c store which is across the street from this building going south,when i was growing up it was Bargain Circus,a redish building.I hated going there but my grandmother and parents loved the place,it was very dark inside and for a 8 year old you could get lost very easily with all of the junk in there.It had a huge clown face on the outside and just freaked me out.mind you i like clowns but this place was just creapy.catty cornered was KCOP it was a grey complex.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Nicely done!

1940 Santa Monica. Not a greatest day for nude sunbathing?

Looking south from Bicknell Street, beach erosion between Pico Boulevard and Crystal Pier.USC Digital

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
The only building im waiting for is the present 99c store which is across the street from this building going south,when i was growing up it was Bargain Circus,a redish building.I hated going there but my grandmother and parents loved the place,it was very dark inside and for a 8 year old you could get lost very easily with all of the junk in there.It had a huge clown face on the outside and just freaked me out.mind you i like clowns but this place was just creapy.catty cornered was KCOP it was a grey complex.
I suspect a glimpse of the building to which you are referring is in this picture. I am not certain without doing a little research, but doubt the "Circus" was doing business in the '30s, 40s or even '50s. I vaguely recall part of the business was housed in a quonset hut.

Speaking of quonset huts, they appear to have been popular on La Brea. 107 N La Brea (Source indicates a date of '39, but I suspect the photo is recent and the source guessed that the huts date from '39.) Evidently, quonset huts are derived from a WW1 British design, but did not really take off in the US until WW2.
FLickr Rodger Young village (presently occupied by LA Zoo) > http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6297

Interestingly, up the street, Chaplin shot a film called the Circus in '26. The production "big tent" can be seen in this aerial. I am not suggesting that the creepy business derived its name from Chaplin's film, but stranger things have probably happened. (I read somewhere that the men's clothing store "Zachary All" got its name because its owner was a fan of the actor Zachary Scott.)
LAPL

915 N La Brea - KCOP 1973
http://www.johninmontana.com
google

googlehttp://parklabreanewsbeverlypress.com/

Last edited by BifRayRock; Nov 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 6:07 PM

One big Quonset Hut. San Gabriel Valley's own "The Puente Theater" '47-'48

http://content.cdlib.org

cinema treasures.org

http://www.lapuente.org

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 6:12 PM

1915 Turnbull Canyon Boulevard
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4...canyonroad.jpg

1914 Turnbull Canyon (Wait'in for the Puente Theater to open?)
http://cdn.calisphere.org

1930 same Turnbull (?)
USC Digital

View from Turnbull 1930
USC Digital

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 6:51 PM

Bargain Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
...when i was growing up it was Bargain Circus,a redish building.I hated going there but my grandmother and parents loved the place,it was very dark inside and for a 8 year old you could get lost very easily with all of the junk in there.It had a huge clown face on the outside and just freaked me out.mind you i like clowns but this place was just creapy.catty cornered was KCOP it was a grey complex.
Bargain Circus was on La Brea from the late 1950's until at least the end of the 1990's. Can't find a still of it, but it's shown to good effect in the Angelina Jolie/Ryan Phillippe film "Playing by Heart" (1998). It was such a landmark, with its big clown face and vertical red and white stripes, I still get confused where I am on La Brea without it.

P.S.

Here it is:

flickr

...and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

miramax - Playing by Heart (1998)

...now a 99 cent store.

Bargain Circus was across Willoughby from Moderncraft Laundry, now a vacant lot

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM. Reason: links

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Bargain Circus was on La Brea from the late 1950's until at least the end of the 1990's. Can't find a still of it, but it's shown to good effect in the Angelina Jolie/Ryan Phillippe film "Playing by Heart" (1998). It was such a landmark, with its big clown face and vertical red and white stripes, I still get confused where I am on La Brea without it.
http://shirtofflame.blogspot.comgoogle

I have a vague recollection of this business from the 1990s. I have no first hand knowledge of the place before that, e.g., the '50s - '80s. The address seems to have been 852 N La Brea, per the 87 -73 directories. Before that, it may have been a different business. However, advertising the telephone number beginning with an exchange "HO" suggests older. Notice Aaron Bros. was located at 900 La Brea (where Moderncraft was) in 1973, before it moved into its present location at was the Bell & Howell building. http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...us&submit=Find

Anyone care to join me at Edna Earle's Fog Cutter 1635 N. La Brea? Please bring an extra ID, in case they card us!

ebay

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Nov 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 7:49 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:36 PM

Bargain Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

I have a vague recollection of this business from the 1990s. I have no first hand knowledge of the place before that, e.g., the '50s - '80s. The address seems to have been 852 N La Brea, per the 87 -73 directories. Before that, it may have been a different business. However, advertising the telephone number beginning with an exchange "HO" suggests older.
"Bargain Circus was founded in a different Hollywood location as a discount furniture repair shop. When it rained, owner Lee Dolf would erect a circus tent. A name was born. The store moved to its present location (once the site of a supply outlet for Charlie Chaplin's studios) in the late '50s and metamorphosed into an all-purpose knickknack shop."
LAT, 6-1-97
http://articles.latimes.com/1997-06-..._cheap-guitars

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:39 PM

More Quonset-hut-esque for you all

Just one man's idea. Stiles Clements sketch for proposed Sports Arena, ca. 1954

USC

USC

USC

Sports Arena nearer. Stiles Clements sketch for proposed Los Angeles Sports Arena, 1956

USC

USC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos