HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which Religion are you?
Hindu 4 2.13%
Buddhist 2 1.06%
Christian 58 30.85%
Jewish 2 1.06%
Muslim 2 1.06%
None 114 60.64%
Other 6 3.19%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I haven't gone through the backlog of this thread yet, but just seeing the discussion on this page about homosexuality brings up something I've wondered for a long time. How many people that ticked none on the survey here hold that view because of religion condemning them for being gay?
To me, that highlights the need for more options under the "non" spectrum in the poll. There is a very big difference between not belonging to a religion, and being an atheist.

I'm sure there are plenty of gay people in Canada who feel somewhat disenfranchised by religions because of this. They might not belong to a religion, but may believe in the existence of God.

I don't think active or passive disapproval of homosexuality by the major religions is enough to make people take the leap from no religion to no God. That requires a lot more deep thought and soul searching.

Mind you, I can't really speak for gay people because I am not a member of that community. These are just my thoughts.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
To me, that highlights the need for more options under the "non" spectrum in the poll. There is a very big difference between not belonging to a religion, and being an atheist.

I'm sure there are plenty of gay people in Canada who feel somewhat disenfranchised by religions because of this. They might not belong to a religion, but may believe in the existence of God.

I don't think active or passive disapproval of homosexuality by the major religions is enough to make people take the leap from no religion to no God. That requires a lot more deep thought and soul searching.
It's true that increasing numbers of people describe themselves a "spiritual" while not participating in organized religion. That might be a Christian(ist) spirituality or something else. It's very individual.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:06 AM
Majestic

I'm not gay and that wasn't a factor for me, but I also was never really "on board" in the first place. Where it all started for me was having to attend mandatory church services (again religious schools) and being treated differently from the other kids because I wasn't a baptized Catholic and had certainly never seen a First Communion or knew exactly what that was for that matter. The growing gulf between what Christianity said about itself and how it actually treated outsiders pushed me away.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I haven't gone through the backlog of this thread yet, but just seeing the discussion on this page about homosexuality brings up something I've wondered for a long time. How many people that ticked none on the survey here hold that view because of religion condemning them for being gay?
Not to bring politics into this but I've often wondered the same thing about gay individuals being leery of ever voting for the Conservative party for their history with gay rights issues.

Religion has generally been on the wrong side of it, as well as the Conservatives, and I think it's safe to say that both institutions have collectively shot themselves in the foot for being on the wrong side of it for so long.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:24 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Atheist. I've never once gone to church and while I think my cousins consider themselves Catholic I don't think they've gone for over a decade either. I heard rumours that one of my grandma's neighbours goes to church but I've not confirmed this. Religion is an afterthought in the circle of Albertans I interact with.

I think my mom still believes in something but she never talks about it, and my dad claims to be Agnostic.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:27 AM

Interesting piece about the immigration in Quebec:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34384749

It seems Quebec has many of the same issues with integrating immigrants compared to France. I wonder if it has anything to do with those much touted "Canadian values".

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:31 AM
Registered Drug User

I'm surprised that the Thorncliffe Park rigmarole hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. Muslim parents there are engaged in ongoing protests against Ontario's sex education curriculum by pulling their kids out of the school there. Hundreds of the 1,400 students are "on strike," and are being taught by parents on the lawn outside of the school in between flashing signs of protest.

It's an explicit expression of gay hatred in a--quelle surprise--Muslim immigrant-heavy neighbourhood. They are objecting to an updated curriculum that makes mention of modern-day realities, including families with "two dads," and has a judgment-free approach to homosexuality. You know the old saying about politics and strange bedfellows? Who would have seen the day when hysterical fundamentalist right wing Christians would bond with Iron Age Islamic conservatives over their shared fear of gay people?

One source I came across said that over twenty new private Islamic schools have opened up in the GTA in response to the sex ed curriculum, and that the waiting lists are so long that more are to come. I look at the situation and shudder to think where this is going.

What "Canadian values" are these parents aspiring to? I mean, save for freedom of association and speech, which they are exercising to express hatreds that they have brought with them from cultures where, by contrast, one would raise a voice in support of gay rights at one's peril (we know that this is not hyperbole in the slightest). Do they at least play street hockey?

It's like a game of whack-a-mole. The modern forces of decency and reason have generally been successful in debating Christian conservatives back into their own fetid corner of gay hatred, to the point where atavistic voices "protesting" against gays are more or less marginalized in mainstream discourse, but now you have a growing immigrant population of adherents of Islam with arguably even worse attitudes to various aspects of our secular modern society.

Is it possible to be cheerfully optimistic that Canadian decency and goodwill will win out over future generations educated in Toronto madrassas? I honestly don't know the answer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I've never been comfortable with the term "Judeo-Christian values". Am I a bad person or just ill-informed?
What is wrong with this term? It's pretty neutral... even though some might disagree over what exactly are the values that Judaism and Christianity share, I think most would agree that there is a fair bit of common ground.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:18 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Besides, I honestly believe that the best way to spread Western ideals is to demonstrate why they're appealing. To demonstrate that we're willing to show equal tolerance and respect to everyone.
Modern-day global economic realities are testifying to the falsity of this belief, which is sounding more and more like hollow Western triumphalism. Believe it or not, I'm actually lobbing an accusation of cultural narcissism and superiority at you here. You see, what you've said is in line with the optimistic idea that as other parts of the world get richer and begin to catch up to the West (as our manufacturing declines and our middle class shrinks) they'll clamour for Western-style democracy and freedoms, but that has not proven to be true. The Chinese and others have demonstrated that capitalist expansion still works seamlessly within the strictures of authoritarian regimes. The presence of Barbie dolls on supermarket shelves is not a deterministic avatar of the free exchange of ideas or social modernization. You can happily sell all kinds of baubles while still not being able to sell certain kinds of baubles. We used to think that better economic opportunity and education would produce people cast in more of a post-Enlightenment mould. But do we still think this?

As kool maudit has so eloquently put it on this forum at various times, social progress is not necessarily always moving onwards and upwards in a linear trajectory toward greater freedoms and justice for all. We've seen how they can be eroded by the rise of backward fundamentalisms. I think you betray a sense of Western superiority by suggesting that those from other cultures will invariably see the light and wish to adopt Western ideals. The reality appears not to be so simple as that. It's not really looking that way these days.

In essence, in my wariness I'm actually affording a modicum of respect to the persuasiveness and appeal of cultures that sneer at our Western ideals. It's very clear to me that, say, lots and lots of people who hate gays are very happy and content to live in places where everyone else hates gays. Those parents in Thorncliffe Park live in arguably the world's most progressive, inclusive and ethnically diverse major city, and yet they are still not persuaded of the charms of our secular post-Enlightenment society. They're happy enough adhering to their strict Islamic morality, and have no desire to entertain fanciful notions like being accepting or tolerant of gays, thank you very much.

See what I did there? I just out-multicultured you!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm surprised that the Thorncliffe Park rigmarole hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. Muslim parents there are engaged in ongoing protests against Ontario's sex education curriculum by pulling their kids out of the school there. Hundreds of the 1,400 students are "on strike," and are being taught by parents on the lawn outside of the school in between flashing signs of protest.

It's an explicit expression of gay hatred in a--quelle surprise--Muslim immigrant-heavy neighbourhood. They are objecting to an updated curriculum that makes mention of modern-day realities, including families with "two dads," and has a judgment-free approach to homosexuality. You know the old saying about politics and strange bedfellows? Who would have seen the day when hysterical fundamentalist right wing Christians would bond with Iron Age Islamic conservatives over their shared fear of gay people?

One source I came across said that over twenty new private Islamic schools have opened up in the GTA in response to the sex ed curriculum, and that the waiting lists are so long that more are to come. I look at the situation and shudder to think where this is going.

What "Canadian values" are these parents aspiring to? I mean, save for freedom of association and speech, which they are exercising to express hatreds that they have brought with them from cultures where, by contrast, one would raise a voice in support of gay rights at one's peril (we know that this is not hyperbole in the slightest). Do they at least play street hockey?

It's like a game of whack-a-mole. The modern forces of decency and reason have generally been successful in debating Christian conservatives back into their own fetid corner of gay hatred, to the point where atavistic voices "protesting" against gays are more or less marginalized in mainstream discourse, but now you have a growing immigrant population of adherents of Islam with arguably even worse attitudes to various aspects of our secular modern society.

Is it possible to be cheerfully optimistic that Canadian decency and goodwill will win out over future generations educated in Toronto madrassas? I honestly don't know the answer.
It would be interesting to see some actual numbers regarding this. By most measures Canadian populations are getting more and more accepting of homosexuality. It could always be better of course, but I think there is quite a bit of controversy over sex-ed education in general.

I find even taking a step back, it is an interesting dichotomy of what really should be taught by the parents in question versus what we need to entrust the school to teach children. At first blush, I would say sex ed is generally something that should be taught by parents, but upon seeing that the primary motivation for these sex-ed protests happened to be the introduction of acceptance of homosexuality, my views are not quite so cut and dry. At the end of the day, I think there will always be problems with governments who try to force acceptance on an issue before the general population is ready, and sometimes, whether it be a niqab or a sex ed course, sometimes the fight is worth fighting.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:39 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Modern-day global economic realities are testifying to the falsity of this belief, which is sounding more and more like hollow Western triumphalism. Believe it or not, I'm actually lobbing an accusation of cultural narcissism and superiority at you here. You see, what you've said is in line with the optimistic idea that as other parts of the world get richer and begin to catch up to the West (as our manufacturing declines and our middle class shrinks) they'll clamour for Western-style democracy and freedoms, but that has not proven to be true. The Chinese and others have demonstrated that capitalist expansion still works seamlessly within the strictures of authoritarian regimes. The presence of Barbie dolls on supermarket shelves is not a deterministic avatar of the free exchange of ideas or social modernization. You can happily sell all kinds of baubles while still not being able to sell certain kinds of baubles. We used to think that better economic opportunity and education would produce people cast in more of a post-Enlightenment mould. But do we still think this?

As kool maudit has so eloquently put it on this forum at various times, social progress is not necessarily always moving onwards and upwards in a linear trajectory toward greater freedoms and justice for all. We've seen how they can be eroded by the rise of backward fundamentalisms. I think you betray a sense of Western superiority by suggesting that those from other cultures will invariably see the light and wish to adopt Western ideals. The reality appears not to be so simple as that. It's not really looking that way these days.

In essence, in my wariness I'm actually affording a modicum of respect to the persuasiveness and appeal of cultures that sneer at our Western ideals. It's very clear to me that, say, lots and lots of people who hate gays are very happy and content to live in places where everyone else hates gays. Those parents in Thorncliffe Park live in arguably the world's most progressive, inclusive and ethnically diverse major city, and yet they are still not persuaded of the charms of our secular post-Enlightenment society. They're happy enough adhering to their strict Islamic morality, and have no desire to entertain fanciful notions like being accepting or tolerant of gays, thank you very much.

You haven't done anything but make a logically unsound assertion. You're making too many assumptions, such assuming that the changes I'm referring to happen quickly, and that we have the power to have a huge influence on new residents either way. Any influence is going to be, if not across generations, at least over people's lifetimes. I never suggested that people were just going to land in Canada, rent an apartment and say, "Whooa, I can't believe I've been so wrong all my life!!" People are influenced in their thinking by interacting with one another, forming relationships, being treated with respect, and perhaps most importantly, the passage of time.

The second assumption being that we can influence everyone. There are, as Harper calls them, "Old stock Canadians" who are homophobic bigots, hard core racists, and a whole host of other nasty things, who have been here for many generations. But the rates are lower than perhaps ever before. That's all we can realistically expect. In a free society, you cannot force people to think what you want them to think or change their beliefs, nor is the appeal of having a free society the ability to do so. In less than 100 years, we've gone from a time when it's been acceptable to discriminate against people in the work force or in businesses in ways such as not allowing Black people in your restaurant or firing someone for being spotted at a gay bar. These things are no longer permitted but there are still "established Canadian" homophobes and racists.

The only point that I made is that being inclusive and respectful has a more positive effect than does being hard-line and divisive. The fact that there are and will always be Muslim bigots has no relevance to the argument I'm afraid.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

You're so good! We've had our differences on some topics but I'm still so very glad you're here!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:57 PM

A lot of the parents at my daughter's school are flipping out because of the sex ed curriculum.

Unfortunately, if the schools don't teach the kids about sex, they will not learn it from their prudish parents. The kids will definitely learn a whole bunch of interesting stuff from one of the many "tube" websites out there. But those sites are really lacking in vital information about pregnancy and sexual health.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not leaping to the defence of "one the most homophobic belief systems that's still out there in the 21st century", I'm leaping to the defence of what I consider one of the most enlightened and progressive belief systems in human history. I'm defending the Canadian and Western ideals of individuality, non-conformity, government moral neutrality, and tolerance. It's the fact that you can't seem to understand people's motives that is causing you to be so "flabbergasted".

To reiterate, it isn't about them; they're just the example scenario in which these principles are being tested. I think it's pointless to hold values or principles only as long as it's comfortable and one isn't being in any way challenged. If they're true "values" you prove it. You have the integrity to demonstrate them consistently even at the risk of personal loss or discomfort.

But of course I already explained this in the election thread.

Regarding his actual question, I don't think it's a good thing for our government to be dominated by any one group whether it be one ethnic group, religious group, age group or other. And I certainly don't think it would be good for the government to be dominated by religion. But I don't agree that we should be alarmed by the prospect of Muslim people gaining in demographic representation. 100 years ago, Christianity was what I would describe as a dominant and regressive cultural force, but society has evolved a lot since then. If people of Muslim descent ever become the dominant cultural group in Canada, I have no reason to believe that they will retain the characteristics of their nations of origin. I mean, how many other immigrants retain the culture of their homeland across generations once they've settled in Canada?

Besides, this narrative of Western regions with Christian cultural origins being the beacon of enlightenment while Muslim dominated societies as being fundamentally backward seems rather revisionist. During the middle ages when Christianity dominated most of Europe and Islam was massively expanding, it was the beacon of enlightenment compared to the barbaric and backward Europe. They developed traditions in science and math such Algebra and Alchemy (what we now call chemistry) which are both Arabic words, and had splendid architecture and much more advanced medical practices. Even in present day, much of the reason for the oppressiveness of many Muslim societies is due to fundamentalist dictatorships.

If you've never seen the documentary "When the Moors ruled Europe", I highly recommend it. There's also a fascinating documentary called "Inside Islam" made by the history channel which I enjoyed. You can find both on Youtube I believe. There is also a three part series about the history of Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul over it's vast history that is equally fascinating (although long). I believe it was made by the BBC.

Besides, I honestly believe that the best way to spread Western ideals is to demonstrate why they're appealing. To demonstrate that we're willing to show equal tolerance and respect to everyone. That we're more interested in listening to people than in judging them. That culture is the things that we do and our way of life, not something that is threatened because someone else lives differently. To show that these values are for the benefit of everyone and not just to enforce the will of those more "established". And to show why we value them, rather than to show that such values are mostly lip service that we'll quickly push aside if something makes us uncomfortable.
Gay Canadians have had a pretty good run over the past couple of decades.

As a result, the tendency to want to "share the wealth" and show magnanimity towards other minorities (regardless of their type) out of a sense of fraternity is a natural one for some people, I suppose.

I just think it's unwise to pooh-pooh the decidedly unprogressive views that exist in the more extreme fringes of some groups. Even if, strictu sensu, it happens to be a question of freedom.

Yes, racist people and homophobic people will always exist. You can't force people to think a certain way.

But going the extra mile by rolling out the welcome mat and legitimizing them by granting them an "opt out" of certain societal practices (and even values) is the wrong way to go.

As a straight male who looks white (I am not 100% European in origin), I don't really have a horse competing directly in this race. I suppose at some point in the future one of my daughters could marry someone with religious or other views incompatible with mine when it comes to women, but that's a remote possibility.

On the other hand, I don't see any advantages for a gay person in a future Canada where there is an increasingly blank cheque for all religious beliefs, no matter how dubious some of them are. Even if it makes society technically "more diverse".

I guess you needn't worry too much though. If all of this goes to shit one day, people like lio, rousseau and I will still be there to save your butts. Provided we're still in the majority in this country!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
[/B]

I think I just heard a penny drop! Good on ya! My own view is that it's about fear, ignorance and something nasty I won't name. We have a long history of it in Canada with successive waves of new arrivals. It does take time to digest the folk who "aren't like us", especially if they are so uppity as to demand to remain visible. The nerve...
Are you referring to me or including me in this?

I'll be waiting for your answer...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:32 PM

Quote:
It's very clear to me that, say, lots and lots of people who hate gays are very happy and content to live in places where everyone else hates gays. Those parents in Thorncliffe Park live in arguably the world's most progressive, inclusive and ethnically diverse major city, and yet they are still not persuaded of the charms of our secular post-Enlightenment society. They're happy enough adhering to their strict Islamic morality, and have no desire to entertain fanciful notions like being accepting or tolerant of gays, thank you very much.

Yep, that's also my take on it. So all-inclusive that gratuitous, outright gay hatred is also absolutely welcomed, if that's how you feel. (Note that it gets a pass WAY more easily when it's from more exotic people than just plain old white rural Canadians.)

IMO it is very possible to have the tolerance pendulum swing too far the other way, and it's done so lately, especially in some spheres of Anglo Canada.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am against all forms of religious manifestation and observation that are unreasonable or that smack of extremism. And not just from one religion in particular.

I am against publicly-funded Catholic schools lowering their flag to half-mast in a gesture of "mourning" for aborted fetuses.

I am against the idea that only male police officers should be allowed to intervene with members of the Hassidic Jewish community.

I am against a Sikh passenger bringing a large ceremonial dagger on board a commercial airliner.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Interesting piece about the immigration in Quebec:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34384749

It seems Quebec has many of the same issues with integrating immigrants compared to France. I wonder if it has anything to do with those much touted "Canadian values".
Interesting piece about black youths in Toronto:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gun-violen...-says-1.584414

It seems Toronto has many of the same issues with young black males compared to the U.S. I wonder if it has anything to do with the much touted "Anglo-Canadian openness".

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:57 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting piece about black youths in Toronto:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gun-violen...-says-1.584414

It seems Toronto has many of the same issues with young black males compared to the U.S. I wonder if it has anything to do with the much touted "Anglo-Canadian openness".
Toronto is one of the safest, if not the safest, major city in North America. Comparisons with typical US inner city crime are quite ridiculous. Black males tend to have higher rates of poverty and criminal behaviour throughout the western world. Toronto's black community is doing much better compared to that of other cities, they just stand out due to the fact that other communities within the city are far more peaceful, relatively speaking.

Toronto has lowest crime rate of Canada's census metropolitan areas:
http://www.citynews.ca/2013/07/25/to...politan-areas/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Toronto is one of the safest, if not the safest, major city in North America. Comparisons with typical US inner city crime are quite ridiculous. Black males tend to have higher rates of poverty and criminal behaviour throughout the western world. Toronto's black community is doing much better compared to that of other cities, they just stand out due to the fact that other communities within the city are far more peaceful, relatively speaking.

Toronto has lowest crime rate of Canada's census metropolitan areas:
http://www.citynews.ca/2013/07/25/to...politan-areas/
Yes, I know all of that. I was just responding to a random slag with another random slag. I probably shouldn't have but what can I say... it's in the "esprit du temps"...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada