HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which Religion are you?
Hindu 4 2.13%
Buddhist 2 1.06%
Christian 58 30.85%
Jewish 2 1.06%
Muslim 2 1.06%
None 114 60.64%
Other 6 3.19%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:46 AM

How many Evangelical Christians are there in Canada? I've been to those "mega churches" three or four times in my life. What is their opinion on Donald Trump? IN America he is pretty much supported unanimously, but what about in Canadian churches?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
How many Evangelical Christians are there in Canada? I've been to those "mega churches" three or four times in my life. What is their opinion on Donald Trump? IN America he is pretty much supported unanimously, but what about in Canadian churches?
I go to a small church that is very community oriented. By this I mean we run the community food bank, help with housing, meals on wheels and in general try to fill in the gap where government can not (we cover a very rural area).

There is no set amount of giving asked for, only give what God leads you to do. If you are in a tough time give nothing, and if you feel a desire to give give. The pastor works 7 days a week in youth programs and community things.

Our doctrine is very bible based and thus it clashes with most of what Trump would stand for. God doesn't care about the invisible lines we put on the map, or the colour of your skin, and while we try not to get into politics at all, there is no doubt that we are on the side of unification rather than division. Thus pretty anti-Trump.

Wouldn't call it pro-any other party or creed, but not trump loving.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 1:15 PM

I don't know what to answer even, as I occasionally go to a church, I've financially supported community programs that are church-initiated and have family members that I would rather not get into a fuss with by declaring my nonbelief in a wide range of Christian ideals and values. Honestly, at least I am not deluding myself, someone like Trump and his legions of supporters have not one iota of Christianity (in terms of what Jesus was recorded to preach) in their bones yet have no problems holding up Bibles as if it gives the moral authorities on anything.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how comfortable "real Christians" are with accepting that among their ranks there are a sizeable portion of "community Christians" who are just there because their lives function better for it. Not every publically declared Christian is walking around thinking about homosexuality and abortions and believing billions of other people from other religions are doomed to eternal damnation. Trump based on his history seems to believe none of it but knows that over millenia has proven an invaluable tool for dictators and despots to control the population.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

In terms of Christian religions coming back in force and reacting to the increase in debates about religion in the public sphere, à la "me too!", surprising news has come out of France, where there is considerable angst over Charlie Hebdo cartoons, and freedom of speech and the right to mock anything you want.

Now it turns out that the Catholic leadership is starting to say they're not fond of the cartoons (that often mock Jesus or the Peope) either. Blasphemy is back, baby!

I had predicted a few years ago that the power play by minority religions for acceptance in the public sphere could lead to an "us too" resurgence among the majority's (generally former) religions.

Coming soon to a Canada near you?
A prescient take. You were onto something. It's fun watching subcultures co-opt the demands of others. Look no further than the States to see how Trumpists went from scoffing at triggered snowflakes who need safe spaces to being the most delicate people around.

That said, I don't know if this specific pattern will repeat in Canada. Religious freedom is a deep part of Canadian (and North American) culture. It will be a long time before I'd expect a place colonized in part as a function of the counter reformation to interfere in religion the way Europeans do. Religious people asking to be treated decently may be a revelation in France, in Canada it's the reason many people came in the first place.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
A prescient take. You were onto something. It's fun watching subcultures co-opt the demands of others. Look no further than the States to see how Trumpists went from scoffing at triggered snowflakes who need safe spaces to being the most delicate people around.

That said, I don't know if this specific pattern will repeat in Canada. Religious freedom is a deep part of Canadian (and North American) culture. It will be a long time before I'd expect a place colonized in part as a function of the counter reformation to interfere in religion the way Europeans do. Religious people asking to be treated decently may be a revelation in France, in Canada it's the reason many people came in the first place.
You may indeed be right, though I do think the idea of religious or even cultural freedom as something people seek in Canada and the USA is often slightly mischaracterized.

I think most people don't or didn't come here so much with the freedom of *others* in mind, so much as *their* own. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but the latter probably isn't foremost in the mind of the average person.

If we take the most classic overwrought example, the Pilgrims that founded the United States were looking for a place where they could live as *themselves*, not necessarily where every race, colour or creed could prosper unhindered and live according to their own ways.

Their actions and those of their descendants over the past centuries are certainly vivid proof of that.

If we fast-forward to today, many immigrants to Canada and their children probably think that it's nice that all of these very different people live together and get along rather well, but in more cases than we think old country prejudices still persist and new ones also even take root after living in Canada for a while. Humans are still humans after all. Even in Trudeaupian Canada.

I think I have strayed quite a bit from the topic, though... More on that in my next post.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In light of my previous post, biguc may be correct that Canada could escape this, though I am not sure our new world status makes us that immune.

Similar to Europe, we have a fairly long history with Christian religions that currently have varying degrees of devitalization (depends on the region and the religion).

But certainly the believers of those religions do think that they have a rightful place here in Canada.

As such, it's not impossible at all that they could, given the current climate where faiths of more recent implantation are highly visible and arguably feisty, become way more assertive, instead of lying low (a bit brow-beaten in some cases) as they have for the past couple of decades.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada