HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 8:51 PM

I love those Townhomes! Ha, I thought someone had photo shopped them into the picture.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Eco)nomy_404 View Post
That is precisely my point. It lacks the diversity in some ways that would make it stand out from such cities. I'm not complaining about our skyline being different from its peers, rather in the lack of difference from them. Once again, the skyline is fine, but it could be better. We are reaching that stage were its time to start to distinguish our architecture more than before. We are doing that in some ways. The mountains and the Temple are built-in advantages. The 99 West tower is phenomenal in its bridge from classic to modern design and it has a rather iconic appeal. The Regent is a great example of modern design that isn't tacky. It's just when I feel we are going in a new direction that we come out with another box tower. That's why 111 underwhelmed me.
I think anyone who views 111 as generic doesn't know skyscrapers. Sure, it's a box, but the structure had a ton of drama going on, and it's clearly visible through the crown and In the lobby. The details on the building are very nice. I think some of you just need to take a closer look...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.cyclist View Post
I think anyone who views 111 as generic doesn't know skyscrapers. Sure, it's a box, but the structure had a ton of drama going on, and it's clearly visible through the crown and In the lobby. The details on the building are very nice. I think some of you just need to take a closer look...
It's pretty tacky when you belittle someone's opinion because they "just don't know" enough about it or "just need to take a closer look." As if by doing more research, suddenly I would become enlightened to your taste and embrace the box. I have already clarified that I was NOT talking about how it interfaces with the street. I was talking about the box shape, which is very generic as a shape - as a majority of office buildings in SLC (and other cities) are boxed in shape. My point was that even some of the more conservative designs out there have some edges to them. Yes, the street interface helps, but none of that is seen from the skyline orientation. That is what I was talking about.

It is possible for an educated person to have a different perspective. I can assure you that no matter how much more I "look into it" the shape of 111 will continue to underwhelm me.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
There is nothing wrong with "The Townhomes" My only point was that they aren't townhomes and they aren't even the front of a building, it is the non street side of an apartment building of which many of the 3 story walk ups in east downtown look very similar.
In all fairness, I did say, "town homes (or whatever they are)" as I was not familiar with that particular building on that block. It's not exactly hard to mistake them as town homes, so pardon the confusion. Let's hope that there continue to be many such "3-story walk-ups" on that side of town in the decades to come!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Eco)nomy_404 View Post
It's pretty tacky when you belittle someone's opinion because they "just don't know" enough about it or "just need to take a closer look." As if by doing more research, suddenly I would become enlightened to your taste and embrace the box. I have already clarified that I was NOT talking about how it interfaces with the street. I was talking about the box shape, which is very generic as a shape - as a majority of office buildings in SLC (and other cities) are boxed in shape. My point was that even some of the more conservative designs out there have some edges to them. Yes, the street interface helps, but none of that is seen from the skyline orientation. That is what I was talking about.

It is possible for an educated person to have a different perspective. I can assure you that no matter how much more I "look into it" the shape of 111 will continue to underwhelm me.
I did not mean to single anyone out, so I'm sorry if I came across that way. The issue I have is that many people only take one took at something and dismiss it because they didn't like it. They refuse to notice any positive features because of one part of the building they don't like. I personally like the level of complexity in 111, and that's what I was referring to buy taking a closer look. I hated it when I first daw the renderings, but I've grown to appreciate it.

As far d the overall boxy shape, I would hazard a guess that much of that was due to the very unique structural design. That seems like a really good trade off in my mind. But I definitely wouldn't want every building to look like that.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.cyclist View Post
I did not mean to single anyone out, so I'm sorry if I came across that way. The issue I have is that many people only take one took at something and dismiss it because they didn't like it. They refuse to notice any positive features because of one part of the building they don't like. I personally like the level of complexity in 111, and that's what I was referring to buy taking a closer look. I hated it when I first daw the renderings, but I've grown to appreciate it.

As far d the overall boxy shape, I would hazard a guess that much of that was due to the very unique structural design. That seems like a really good trade off in my mind. But I definitely wouldn't want every building to look like that.
I get what you were saying now - about those who take a single glance and just dismiss it out of hand. I have actually not liked it from the beginning, but I was hoping it would grow on me. You guys helped me appreciate the street interaction a little more, but I'm still not happy about how it looks in our skyline. I just feel like we have more than enough boxes. The sub-10-story boxes don't bother me as much as the bigger ones do. I actually have similar reservations with 222 from the back. It's such a beautiful building looking at it from the East, then you see it from the West it's a completely different building - a bland, grey box. It's like they added insult to injury with the grey.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 7:24 PM

It appears that the red "jump" portion of the tower crane for 111 Main is at the top of the tower, and the crane is beginning to lower itself down. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:32 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

The crane is indeed coming down:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:46 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is going to be a gorgeous Lobby.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 12:40 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

They're pretty far along with rebuilding most of the sidewalks. They popped in the sycamore trees a couple days ago. This thing really is gonna be done soon!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 5:15 AM
Space Magi

I already bought a couple tickets for a show at the Eccles Theater. Excited to see the inside!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:09 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

From Wikipedia.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:36 AM

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:17 PM

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 8:28 PM

Great pic! We are getting close to having a real city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Great pic! We are getting close to having a real city.
Oh, we don't have a permanent population and government? Geez, I wasn't aware that SLC wasn't a real city.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:08 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

One floor has been finished; it looks like a normal office inside.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 7:51 PM
One Thing At A Time

Anyone know of any plans for the lights on the crown? Are they going to use different colors to signify different things like the Walker Tower does for weather or are we mostly going to stick to white. So far it seems like white is the color of choice.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:32 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

The offices are moving along on the various floors.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:13 PM

As was previously mentioned, the sidewalk in from to the EPAC is now open. It's still closed off in front of 111, but I would expect it to be open soon as well.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West