HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Boise: sports venues

there are a lot of things going on in the Boise sports world right now, and i thought it'd be fun to create a thread that tracks all the news and updates for the Treasure Valley's larger sports venues.

here's a starter list. please feel free to add to this list, because i'm sure i'm missing some!

CURRENT FACILITIES

Bronco Stadium (football, capacity: 38,000) -- SEZ/NEZ expansion and the new football facility is under construction! future plans will increase stadium capacity over 55,000.

Taco Bell Arena (basketball, capacity: 12,500) -- new locker rooms/offices currently under construction. i've heard rumors of additional future improvements, but nothing concrete.

CenturyLink Arena (multi-use, capacity: 5,000) -- continues to be the home to the Idaho Steelheads ECHL hockey team and Idaho Stampede NBADL team.

Idaho Center (multi-use, capacity: 10,000) -- haven't heard any big news lately regarding the IC.

Memorial Stadium (baseball, capacity: 3,500) -- city and owners are searching for a new home for the Hawks. currently facility is outdated. last i heard, the city was researching a potential multi-use facility for the Hawks and other events. possible locations: Meridian, Boise on 30th.

Meridian Speedway (racing, capacity unknown) -- no updates. many have surmised that the speedway is eventually doomed as Meridian continues to grow around it.

Firebird Raceway (drag racing, capacity unknown) -- no updates.

Les Bois Park (horse racing, capacity 5,000; max of 7,800) -- new owners with upgrade facilities. i've updated the capacity based on stories in the news.

FUTURE:

Donna Larson Park (multi use track/football/soccer, capacity 5,000; softball field, capacity TBD) -- under construction; will be complete this summer! football field turf has already been installed -- and yes, the field is green.

War Eagle Speedway (racing, multiple tracks; capacity 100,000) -- proposed a few years ago between Boise and Mountain Home, this was to be a first-class facility that could hold everything from NASCAR races to F1 and off-road. no updates since the economy went south; may be dead. here's a link from four years ago with information:

http://www.mountainhomenews.com/story/1248368.html

anything i missed?

Last edited by Boisebro; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:12 PM

There is the Eagle Bike Park which will have a Velodrome and is still raising $$ to complete the actual velodrome.....this is to be one of the largest bike parks in the US when completed.

http://eaglebikepark.org/
http://idahovelopark.org/

.....and Idaho Ice World
http://idahoiceworld.cityofboise.org/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:00 PM
All man. Half nuts.

good article in the statesman about a possible new ballpark.

don't bother reading the comments section. it's always full of the dregs of humanity.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/07/04/1714336/more-questions-than-answers-on.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

conceptual rendering of a possible new boise ballpark:

sounds like initial capacity will be in the 5,000 range, though a triple-A club will possibly double that to 10,000.

i agree with some of the fan comments that there needs to be more shade. the #1 issue people have with the current hawks stadium is that unless you're on the third-base side, you're going to get fried in the sun.

would be nice to see a version with an extended roof and/or an upper deck to provide more shade.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:37 PM

Les Bois Park

Le Bois Park is up and running. We live near it and have seen the horses racing and spectators in the grandstands several times now...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 6:16 AM

Boise Hawks Stadium...Taken during the game against the Vancouver Canadians

It was a great game. The Hawks won. But the stadium is kind of small, and it really needs an upgrade ASAP. I really hope they actually build the new stadium. the renderings look pretty damn sweet! anyways here are just a few pics i took at the game of the stadium and the field.

To tell you the truth, the current stadium looks more like one that a high school would play at. Not something that would be the home to a Minor League team.

Last edited by Hawk; Sep 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 6:46 AM

Ya, I love the Hawks and have some great memories of them. I had some good times with friends and even met a few cute girls at the current Hawks stadium in my younger years. But honestly, it is time to move on to bigger and better things. Boise is growing up and so should their baseball team!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i drove by Donna Larsen park this week, and construction is well underway.

combine that with the $3 million donation for BSU athletics this week, and we could see Bronco stadium expansion begin soon!

perhaps even faster if we get into the Big East!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
All man. Half nuts.

there's a meeting tomorrow to discuss potential locations for the new ballpark.

surprised there are so many options, but the ones closest to downtown would be my preference... especially around 30th street. that part of town is just begging for redevelopment.

------

The Better Boise Coalition, a group dedicated to getting a new multi-sport and entertainment complex that could become the new home to the Boise Hawks, will meet with community and real estate leaders on Tuesday to discuss a new report and to decide the next steps to making their dream a reality.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...#ixzz1dios0svY

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
there's a meeting tomorrow to discuss potential locations for the new ballpark.

surprised there are so many options, but the ones closest to downtown would be my preference... especially around 30th street. that part of town is just begging for redevelopment.

------

The Better Boise Coalition, a group dedicated to getting a new multi-sport and entertainment complex that could become the new home to the Boise Hawks, will meet with community and real estate leaders on Tuesday to discuss a new report and to decide the next steps to making their dream a reality.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...#ixzz1dios0svY
The one danger about the downtown locations, as cited in the cons, is the desire for additional parking. I'm not sure if it's a good thing if the downtown park is surrounded by multiple blocks of surface parking. Even if those lots would be used for more than baseball, it still encourages even more people to commute by car to downtown.

If they ever put a light rail line down the Union Pacific right of way, the Mellin property at Five Mile and Franklin would be quite intriguing, as that property is right in between Franklin and the railroad. That's also where Franklin rises above a small bench, so you could do some interesting things with abutting seating against the earth if you so chose.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
All man. Half nuts.

in a perfect world -- of which, boise is the capital, of course -- they'd pick the 30th street site by the river as suggested in the rendering.

then build one 4-story parking garage to handle parking.

and extend the trolley line to reach the ballpark.

that way, downtown workers could grab the trolley to the ballpark after work without having to worry about parking.

and now we return to our regularly scheduled real life...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
in a perfect world -- of which, boise is the capital, of course -- they'd pick the 30th street site by the river as suggested in the rendering.

then build one 4-story parking garage to handle parking.

and extend the trolley line to reach the ballpark.

that way, downtown workers could grab the trolley to the ballpark after work without having to worry about parking.

and now we return to our regularly scheduled real life...

Heh, I was thinking similar things. It's a shame that the transportation issue can be such a chicken or the egg thing.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 5:18 AM

Is it possible they could build an underground parking garage, below a downtown ballpark? Save space so lot size isn't so much an issue and keep surface parking to a minimum.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:29 AM
All man. Half nuts.

quick Bronco Stadium update:

report in the statesman says that the end zone bleachers will be removed and relocated to donna larson park.

new, larger bleachers will be installed in the end zones to increase Bronco Stadium's capacity to 37,000 by next season.

a good temporary plan, with further, larger expansion phases not far behind...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:26 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Slightly old news now, but in case anyone missed it...

Dallas Stars to hold preseason training camp and preseason NHL game in Boise.

http://www.ktvb.com/sports/NHL-comin...136892203.html
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...-to-boise.html

Being a new hockey fan that's very quickly getting into the sport, this is awesome news to hear, I'd love to get tickets to the exhibition game.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 3:30 AM

don't get me wrong i'm a huge fan of the Steelheads, but i would totally love an NHL team to stay in boise. heh I think Boise would be a wonderful place for a pro team. Although, unfortunately i KNOW that boise's population is a bit smal for one though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:35 PM
All man. Half nuts.

update on the new Hawks stadium from Tom Scott:

According to the Idaho Business Review, the Better Boise Coalition has identified two potential new stadium sites: 30th and Main and 27th and Fairview, just west of Downtown Boise. Now comes the tricky part: finding the estimated $25 million to pay for it. Supporters of the BBC surmise that a combination of private and public dollars would be needed. The coalition warns that the Chicago Cubs may seek to relocate the Boise Hawks franchise—or least drop their affiliation with the Hawks—without modernized facilities. The timing is tough considering the plodding economy, but Boise tends to be creative.

also, i'm hoping to update the first post in this page to include pictures of the various facilities and revise some of the capacities.

i'm having difficulty finding decent images of Les Bois, Meridian Speedway and Firebird Raceway, though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:52 AM

Quote:
update on the new Hawks stadium from Tom Scott:

According to the Idaho Business Review, the Better Boise Coalition has identified two potential new stadium sites: 30th and Main and 27th and Fairview, just west of Downtown Boise. Now comes the tricky part: finding the estimated $25 million to pay for it. Supporters of the BBC surmise that a combination of private and public dollars would be needed. The coalition warns that the Chicago Cubs may seek to relocate the Boise Hawks franchise—or least drop their affiliation with the Hawks—without modernized facilities. The timing is tough considering the plodding economy, but Boise tends to be creative.

also, i'm hoping to update the first post in this page to include pictures of the various facilities and revise some of the capacities.

i'm having difficulty finding decent images of Les Bois, Meridian Speedway and Firebird Raceway, though.
You could have Sawtooth ride his Bike to those locations and take a few pictures for you. That is if you ask him nicely

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:54 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
You could have Sawtooth ride his Bike to those locations and take a few pictures for you. That is if you ask him nicely
nah. i prefer to threaten people than ask nicely.

that's how i got elcon to post his freakin' pictures after 10 months.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 8:18 PM
All man. Half nuts.

looks like there may be some news on the new ballpark tomorrow:

------------

For more than a year, Mayor Dave Bieter and other community leaders have been lobbying for a new facility for minor league baseball and possible other sports, estimated to cost more than $20 million. So far no one has stepped up to pay for it.

But former Red Sox Bill Buckner will be the featured guest at a meeting Wednesday to offer an update on the project and generate support.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West