HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Yeah, on University. I have not been that way for a while and noticed the construction this past weekend.
Do you know the update for the new student village the University is building? The one that was going to be much larger, and then the University decided to go with a smaller plan?
Last I heard they scrapped the plans for now. The reason being is because the company that would build/we would lease from had a low rating in some important aspect (I can't remember if it was lender or credit), which would in turn hurt the University's rating when looking for more funding elsewhere.

The new parking garage next to the Aquatics Complex will also house student media and a few other offices. I believe the next plan (other than breaking ground for the Business Building) is to get the new Alumni center going (where student media is house temporarily).

They are removing homes at Lincoln and Beacon I noticed, and I am not sure why.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I understood, per a newspaper article, that the housing village was just scaled back, and that the University was going with a different plan and developer? Has this status changed? (this might be the reason those houses are being moved).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I understood, per a newspaper article, that the housing village was just scaled back, and that the University was going with a different plan and developer? Has this status changed? (this might be the reason those houses are being moved).
I heard from the Admin building that it was a no-go with that particular developer. I think they have plans to put dorms in there, but they need a new company.

That in mind, they REALLY need more space. There are only 2000-something beds on campus and the population is slated to expand significantly in the near future. Heck, they are putting students in the Double Tree down by Red Robin.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Seems like everyones favorite holier than thou forumer of the Mountain West is, in a thin veil, bashing us in a thread that reps a town south of the border...Idaho's border. What the big D, who is blowing smoke, doesn't realize is that in Boise we don't report on a crack in the sidewalk being fixed, or a big box store being built in the suburbs. Gotta give it to him/her, that there isn't anyone else on this entire forum that gets as excited over a big box as he/she does If we reported on all of the current construction activity at BSU and the suburbs, it might temper the big D's inflated ego and in addition our downtown already has the vibe and vibrancy that his little spot on the map is trying to create with their new mega mall. (sigh) And I've been to Europe so I know what I am talking about Maybe he needs to have a "Trick" with the pony he referenced in his/her post?

I'm not sure how his post about the University of Utah having a lot of projects going on (a glimpse) led to all that But uh, ok.

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Oct 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Hate me

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:29 PM

If you would like more info then please pm me and I will inform you. If this person/issue is not obvious to you by now, then I don't know what to say, you have been around enough that you should see this.....Instead of lurking and watching everything I say, pay attention to the handfull of trolls, the trolls of the MW, who rep your own state and continually troll the threads of your own state and this the Gem State. I am just a lollipop compared to the complete shit some of them are.
Again, please pay attention to the out of control forumers who rep the beehive.

COBE construction has started on Capitol!! I came back from vacation and saw the hotel now has a wall around it. So, which day did the groundbreaking take place?

Last edited by Cottonwood; Nov 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
If you would like more info then please pm me and I will inform you.

COBE construction has started on Capitol!! I came back from vacation and saw the hotel now has a wall around it. So, which day did the groundbreaking take place?
Last Tuesday. Here is some info:

http://news.boisestate.edu/update/20...ness-building/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:28 AM

Don't know if this has been posted, but it's interesting.

http://www.boisestate.edu/masterplan/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:25 PM

It is nice seeing that old hotel being destructed, the COBE Building will seem huge at that intersection. BSU should build a garage on the lot between COBE and the Towers & Morrison Center.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 2:31 AM
Always running Late

anyone know any gossip regarding the medical school? I spoke with someone that works at BSU and there's rumors about launching a school of medicine at Boise State? I know that cancer research has been taking place with federal funding, and some recent breakthroughs and findings have got some high up people really interested in taking things to the next level

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:08 PM

I don't know any rumors, but that would be awesome for bsu.

anyone know what all the construction is by the border of beacon street and the university. It's mostly dirt work now but they have a bunch of machines on 2 or 3 lots..

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
anyone know any gossip regarding the medical school? I spoke with someone that works at BSU and there's rumors about launching a school of medicine at Boise State? I know that cancer research has been taking place with federal funding, and some recent breakthroughs and findings have got some high up people really interested in taking things to the next level
That would be quite a coup and require a ton of startup money. I also think that wrestling the medical charter away from ISU would take some serious effort. Idaho needs a medical school of its own, but it's probably a long way off unfortunately. The best bet would be some sort of joint effort between ISU, BSU, and UI, and have it centered in Boise since St Lukes and St Als would be logical teaching hospitals.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:54 AM

that's too bad. ISU is a good school, but I think the the best potential for success is at BSU. Does anyone know when that research building on university will be officially open? It appears that it could open in time for the start of next semester.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:00 AM
All man. Half nuts.

here's a webcam for the new BSU Biz/Engineer building construction, for those of you who aren't in town:

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/ESI/BSUMicronCOBE

also, the first phase of construction for Bronco Stadium expansion was approved this week by the SBOE.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:39 AM

nice find boisebro! that's awesome. but isn't it just a business building?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:43 AM

nevermind, I see you were referring to the construction company...lol

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 AM
Always running Late

stadium expansion moves forward

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:22 PM

and even more construction news for the greater downtown area/BSU.

(I have added the green smiley face to the title of the thread to mirror the other Idaho/Boise threads

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2010/12/08/34917/

ESI is apparent low bidder for BSU student housing
by Jennifer Gonzalez
Published: December 8,2010
Time posted: 11:52 am
Tags: BSU, Construction, development, ESI

ESI of Boise is the apparent low bidder to build new student housing at Boise State University.

In addition to the Lincoln Avenue housing, ESI broke ground in November on the Micron Business and Economics Building, is wrapping up construction on the Environmental Research Building, and is also constructing a campus parking garage.

Construction costs are estimated at $13,283,035, according to Idaho’s Division of Public Works. ESI’s bid is listed as $11,065,360. It generally takes several days before a contract is officially awarded.

The six townhouse-style buildings will house 360 students and take in about 135,000 square feet on Lincoln Avenue between University Drive and Beacon Street. The four-story structure is described as wood framed, with brick and stucco and single-ply roofing.

The housing is for upperclassmen, who traditionally move off campus after living in dorms for their first two years of college. The university now leases space in motels near campus to fulfill housing needs.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:26 PM

Only 360 students? That would bring the total capacity to what, 2500 on campus? They need to at least double that before the campus gets more attractive to a lot more students. It needs more of a community feel.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 8:12 PM

Well this project was originally 900 beds, but the Idaho school board shot it down, so now it's on to plan b.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 8:52 PM

http://news.boisestate.edu/update/20...t-boise-state/
New Energy Efficiency Research Institute to be Housed at Boise State
Posted By Erin Ryan | Nov 4th, 2010 - 12:31 pm | Posted In: Featured

The Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES) has launched an initiative to build an Energy Efficiency Research Institute (EERI) focused on conserving energy, lowering costs and creating new professional opportunities. Drawing on the strengths of many partners, the institute will be housed at Boise State University.

“EERI will drive economic diversification and attract investment from the outside,” said Bill Connors, president and CEO of the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce. “In the bigger picture, it adds to Idaho’s image as a leader in energy efficiency and renewable resources. More and more we are becoming known and positioned as an alternative energy hub and leader in America. This project helps cement that image.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West