HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 7:00 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think it's a perfect use for that parcel, and it integrates perfectly into the Trax Station, and I agree with you on the 1 vs 1.4 per unit, but I guarantee that the neighbors would be even more up in arms about 1 space per unit proposal though, the majority of people in Utah still can't seem to grasp the concept that there are people out there that don't want to have to drive two cars and so many of them do, out of necessity.

This could be a great opportunity to show how TOD actually works and that not everyone wants/needs a car.

Yes the density will be a drastic change from the surrounding neighborhoods, but nobody in their right mind is going to develop that parcel into a couple of single family homes. If every unit average 1.25 people that is an additional 142 people living in the neighborhood, it's roof tops and residents that bring in business. Maybe the area could get something besides a boast mobile.

If I were able to attend the meeting I would, but unfortunately I work until 6 in southern Utah County and have client meetings at 7 in Salt Lake. This would be an ideal time for the YIMBY's to start making their voices heard.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDesign View Post
Sorry for the last minute notice on this. There is a public hearing for a proposed 114 unit Bldg on 7800 S and Roosevelt in Midvale, that borders the trax station. The meeting is at: 7505 S Holden St, MIdvale at 7 pm tonight. Check out the link and attend if you'd like. I used to like in the neighborhood south of this development and have had some very "interesting" conversations with my former neighbors. They will be showing up in droves to show distain for this project...

My 2 cents on the project, it's a great use of a currently vacant lot and will be a great asset to the community. I wished they'd limit parking to 1 car/unit, but 1.4 is good. The building is tucked up against Center with parking behind (garage and surface) to minimize the impact on the single family homes adjacent. I think the anterior could use some work, but feel it will bring some good development activity to the area.

http://midvalecity.org/Home/Componen...r/Event/128/39

Check out the "7-13-16 PC packet for plans, elevations, etc.

That's kind of a crazy proposal. They want to build part of the their development over and on a park and ride site where buses and cars will be driving underneath the project. The design is nice, but ya, not sure if this is going to fly. When I was in undergrad, I put together a real-estate/development project for the site directly north of that and on the west side of the Traxx lines. I'm still trying to figure out why no one has developed there.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That's kind of a crazy proposal. They want to build part of the their development over and on a park and ride site where buses and cars will be driving underneath the project. The design is nice, but ya, not sure if this is going to fly. When I was in undergrad, I put together a real-estate/development project for the site directly north of that and on the west side of the Traxx lines. I'm still trying to figure out why no one has developed there.
I was also concerned about busses driving under the apartment building. Besides the noise, those people are likely to get bus fumes in their apartments, because of shoddy building practices nowadays. That section would have to be completely air tight.

It is cool in theory.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 11:01 AM

Speaking of bus fumes. Any of you UTA Wonks that know the percentage of the UTA's buss fleet that has been converted to CNG thus far?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Speaking of bus fumes. Any of you UTA Wonks that know the percentage of the UTA's buss fleet that has been converted to CNG thus far?
Ooh! Ooh! I'm a wonk! I know the answer! Pick me!

Quote:
UTA says CNG buses are 85 percent cleaner than pre-2007 diesel buses and reduce an average of 17 tons of greenhouse gases per bus per year. Thorpe said the clean diesel buses reduce pollution by similar amounts.

More than 65 percent of its bus fleet is now powered by CNG or clean diesel, UTA said.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3362541-1...ed-natural-gas

However, most of those are 'clean diesel' buses, as opposed to pure CNG. This will change, though, now that UTA has a new CNG fueling station:

Quote:
The new facility is designed to fuel up to 250 natural gas buses. The agency currently has 47 natural gas burning buses at its Central Bus Division, with plans to purchase more in the future.

UTA currently operates approximately 600 compressed natural gas and diesel buses in its overall fleet.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=37956362

And, of course, there are the electric ZERO emission ELECTRIC buses that UTA keeps experimenting with:

Quote:
Do you take UTA to the University of Utah? Soon, you’ll be able to catch an emission-free ride on one of our first all-electric buses.
UTA and the University of Utah received a federal grant to purchase five buses, three that will be used on route 2 and two that will serve the University of Utah campus.
https://www.rideuta.com/news/2016/04...Electric-Buses

So Diesel fumes are becoming less and less of a problem. Still a problem for problem for apartments built above bus stations, but not nearly so much as it used to be.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:42 PM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Orlando, I am not sure if this is the area you are talking about, but when I was a kid the area that I circled in red had a store called Big V's, that area is now under construction with apartments.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:25 PM

Thanks Hatman...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:51 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I would guess with the right construction materials and the proposed width that it might not be a big issue with the exhaust, but I could be wrong. Even something as simple as some fans, creating a small breeze under there, or a vacuum exhaust system taking it out would most likely mitigate any problems.

Has anyone heard what the Planning Commission recommended?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 9:03 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It looks like Garbett is still trying to come up with a plan that works on the old Granite High Property. Hopefully they will be able to work something out with the Utah Arts Alliance so that some of the structures can remain.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4148852-1...n-in-the-works

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Orlando, I am not sure if this is the area you are talking about, but when I was a kid the area that I circled in red had a store called Big V's, that area is now under construction with apartments.

Oh, really? That's great! I thought I drove by there when I was in town and didn't see anything.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:41 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think it's so interesting that some neighbors and city leader concerned about them being rentals, when the worst rentals north of I-80 sit right behind these.

I do like it, and I think owned units will be better in the long run. I don't however like that they will each have a two car garage, but I do like that one of the buildings faces the S-line directly.

It is this project, Zellerbach and Ritz combined with the addition of Winco that will really begin to activate the S-line corridor, both the green space and the streetcar.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 6:34 PM
Lurker

It's too bad the Granite High School site is in SSL and not Millcreek (which is two blocks east). They're electing their first Mayor and council as a city soon and could have used it as a government office building.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:52 PM

Good point SLCdude. That original building facing west would be excellent as a City Hall.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 7:21 AM

I like the Midvale Station proposal, it is nice to see some creativity and the start of some good walkable development in the area. I personally don't see a big issue with busses going underneath the building. I know it is a different type of construction but I haven't heard any complaints at all about Adobe going over the road with tons of cars and some buses going underneath it. I think this project should get built!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
I like the Midvale Station proposal, it is nice to see some creativity and the start of some good walkable development in the area. I personally don't see a big issue with busses going underneath the building. I know it is a different type of construction but I haven't heard any complaints at all about Adobe going over the road with tons of cars and some buses going underneath it. I think this project should get built!
Adobe has a solid concrete base over the roadway that no fumes could get in through. This apartment building is not going to be built to the level of Adobe's office.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:10 PM

53rd corporate park in Murray is taking shape.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:36 AM

The image didn't come through.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:13 AM

Jordan Valley TOD (between the TRAX Station and Hospital)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:15 AM

Facebook data center may break ground this month in WJ despite concerns

WEST JORDAN - Aug 8, 2016

Public officials can only refer to the plan as Project Discus, but sources and public documents indicate Facebook is behind the effort to bring what could be one of the largest data centers in the world to Utah.

More details about the potential 550,000-square-foot facility were revealed Monday during a Taxing Entity Committee meeting, where West Jordan City Council members, Salt Lake County representatives and school district officials discussed the project and its impacts.

The facility would be built on roughly 230 acres located north of 10200 South, east of state Route 111, and south of New Bingham Highway.

https://ksl.com/?sid=40992562

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West