HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 9:39 PM

^^^
Alright! Real plans! Let's have a look!
Hum. UDOT decided they like frontage roads. That should certainly help with the car traffic.
What are the speed limits on frontage roads, generally? My intuition tells me that people getting off of I-15 and onto a frontage road without stopping will not reduce their speed to levels I would feel comfortable cycling next to them. But if the road is designed in such a way to make people want to drive more slowly, I suppose it could be workable.
The two bridges are a good addition, but they are not spaced close enough to be a solution to my Uncle's problem. But with the reconfigured interchange at SR-92, maybe they don't need to be.
Not much here to benefit transit though.
How final are these plans? If work isn't supposed to start until 2020, is there much of a chance that additions can be made?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 10:23 PM
Exit 298

The way design-built construction works, designs can change A LOT, and even changes a little bit even after construction begins.

When I-15 CORE had already started, UDOT was still tweaking the Provo Center Street interchange (converted it from a rotary into the monstrosity it is today).

I suspect the frontage roads are here to stay -- the new overpass by the theater is pretty set in stone, afaik. Speed limit will probably be about 35-40 on the frontage roads.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I suspect the frontage roads are here to stay -- the new overpass by the theater is pretty set in stone, afaik. Speed limit will probably be about 35-40 on the frontage roads.
35-40 mph is fine. I'd ride my bike on the shoulder of that road. So long as people at least try to follow the speed limits.
I did mean changes in the form of additions rather than subtractions. I realize the frontage roads are a good solution to traffic congestion at the point, and I really am in favor of resolving car congestion. Just not at the expense of considering other modes too. A few more roads with good bike lanes are much better than fewer congested roads without them. Rebuilt freeways that are designed to accommodate transit and other transportation options are best of all.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 11:46 PM
The Drifter

Bangerter and SR-92 need to have full freeway interchanges built instead of what is currently being done.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:21 AM
Exit 298

Bangerter has "interchange upgrade" listed in the RTP for Phase 2 or 3 (can't remember which). That would be beyond 2020 (perhaps 2030).

I suspect most likely Timp and Bangerter will have a flyover or two added as traffic volume warrants, but may never be a full system-to-system interchange.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:43 PM

UTA opens study on adding FrontRunner station at Ogden's BDO

https://www.standard.net/Business/20...ogden-bdo.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:41 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It would be nice if they put some mixed use with housing in the BPO, in order to make the station function with inbound and outbound traffic in the morning and the evening. Cities truly need to get away from single use zoning, particularly when transit is involved.

Another place that mixed use zoning could be really beneficial is along the Green Line at the River Trail station. That station serves a bunch of 2 and 3 story office buildings. WVC could reduce the parking requirements of the existing buildings, maybe base it on studies of what is currently being used, freeing up some space for some residential. If I were the owner of those buildings I would want to redevelop some of my building in order to put some housing into the mix.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
UTA opens study on adding FrontRunner station at Ogden's BDO

https://www.standard.net/Business/20...ogden-bdo.html
Usually, UTA is pretty strict with their '6-mile' rule, which is they try to keep commuter rail stations about 6 miles apart so that the train can get up to speed and, you know, be fast. The two main exceptions being North Temple/Salt Lake Central, and Orem/Vineyard. By adding a station at the BDO, that would break up the 5.5 mile distance between Ogden and Pleasant View into 2 and 3.5 mile chunks.

I suspect this will happen anyway, because the ridership potential is so large (6,000 people work there, and if only 10% of those workers ride the train, you'd get 1,200 more trips per day). However, I doubt it will happen as an independent project. More likely, it will be included in the extension of the line to Brigham City, whenever UTA gets around to it.

Long term, once the line is fully electrified, the faster trains will remove the need to be so strict with the 'six mile rule'. Not that you'd want to add more infill stations, but that you'd suffer less of a penalty for doing so. Maybe Centerville will finally get their own station, as it would create similarly short station gaps as this project will.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 11:27 PM

Mag has released its TIP (transportation improvement plan) for the next few years. One for Transit, one for Highways:

http://www.mountainland.org/2017-dra...public-comment

The highway one is many pages, and also includes things like bike lanes and trails. The transit plan is one succinct page, and looks like this:

It looks like 2021 is going to be quite the year for construction, with MAG wanting to spend a combined $245 million federal dollars (plus local matches) on FrontRunner to Payson, TRAX into Utah County, and Phase II of the BRT (disguised as the HOV interchange).
It's going to be a long five years to wait for all that.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I admit that my first reaction to people complaining about traffic around the Silicon Slopes is pure, gleeful schadenfreude....
Can people stop equating Lehi with the Silicon Slopes? The Silicon Slopes are the entire Wasatch Front, not just Lehi. SLC alone has over 3x as many software companies as Lehi. Salt Lake County has 9x as many as Lehi, according to the Silicon Slopes website. Salt Lake County has almost 2x as many companies as Utah County. They are spread out all over the Wasatch Front, there is just a small, but very visible cluster in Lehi.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/13/a-hig...inkId=26533470

A high-tech mecca rises to rival Silicon Valley
Andrew Zaleski, special to CNBC.com

"Low taxes; cheap real estate; a pool of young engineering talent from the University of Utah, Utah State and Brigham Young; and a business-friendly environment have all converged to make Utah the top location for tech start-ups, right up there with founding teams in Boston and New York in the East or Seattle and Silicon Valley in the West.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce recently ranked Utah No.1 in innovation and entrepreneurship, No. 2 in high-tech performance and No. 3 in economic performance in a study of all 50 states. The state also topped CNBC's America's Top States for Business list this year."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:28 PM

Calling all Utah transportation design lovers... let's bring Hyperloop One to Utah.

"The Hyperloop One Global Challenge is a competition which invites teams anywhere on Earth to put forward a comprehensive commercial, transport, economic, and policy case for their cities, regions, or countries to be considered to host the first hyperloop networks. The Hyperloop One Global Challenge is not an engineering competition: we bring the technology, you tell us how it should be used in your location."

- https://hyperloop-one.com/global-challenge

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:55 PM

Keep in mind those projects identified in 2021 are all "illustrative projects" and there is no funding identified for them. It may be much longer than 5 years before you see construction on any of those projects.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twothirty8 View Post
Calling all Utah transportation design lovers... let's bring Hyperloop One to Utah.

"The Hyperloop One Global Challenge is a competition which invites teams anywhere on Earth to put forward a comprehensive commercial, transport, economic, and policy case for their cities, regions, or countries to be considered to host the first hyperloop networks. The Hyperloop One Global Challenge is not an engineering competition: we bring the technology, you tell us how it should be used in your location."

- https://hyperloop-one.com/global-challenge
At the speeds hyperloop is supposed to travel I think long distance connections make the most sense. I don't know if hyperloop is the future but SLC needs to point out that it is the logical hub to connect the pacific to the continent. SLC should partner with San Fran & Reno to propose a line that would connect the 3 cities. The line would not only connect silicon valley to silicon slopes but it would run parallel to I-80 and the UPRR. The freight is there, acquiring the row should be relatively painless compared to other lines of similar distance.

Salt lake city could eventually be connected to LA via Vegas and Seattle via Boise as well.

Edit: I thought of another good reason for this line. The gentrification, insane cost of living, and absurd commute times for SF's working class. If they could live in Reno and commute via hyperloop I bet many would take advantage.

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Jul 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 9:14 PM
The Drifter

KSL just did a really good news report about dangers to bicyclists and goes over some sististics. I couldn't find a link via my phone and would go downstairs to the computer, but my 4 year old is playing minecraft on it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 5:54 PM

I don't usually come to this thread on weekends, but today I read some very good news that I have to share right now.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...a9a3494ec.html

Tl;dr, MAG won a TIGER grant for $20 million to improve bike and pedestrian access to transit stations and other major trails. Here's the breakdown:
  • $2 million for a pedestrian bridge between the Provo FrontRunner station and Freedom Boulevard
  • $2 million to link the Murdock Canal Trail to the historic rail trail with a bridge over SR 92
  • $4 million for sidewalks under I-15 to the American Fork FrontRunner station.
  • $4 million to improve access to the Orem FrontRunner station AND complete the Provo River Parkway trail to Deer Creek (no idea why these two are bundled together, but whatever
  • many other small improvements like new bike lanes, until the money runs out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 10:52 PM

Ok, it's not Salt lake but I'm having a hard time figuring out the goal of the recent construction on highway 89 in Davis county. Since adding the light at oak hills drive, the traffic on that rad has slowed down even more during afternoon rush hour. I was hoping they would have added a third northbound lane since semis and vehicles with trailers really slow the south end of 89 down where it climbs the hill. There seems to be plenty of room on the road for a third north bound lane for the stretch of the road that climbs the hill. Another quick fix is too adjust the duration of the green lights on 89. So far I'm not overly impressed with recent work on highway 89 in Davis county. Does anyone have any good news for me?

I would appreciate it!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:12 AM

Highway 89 Davis county

I'm pretty disappointed with the south end of Highway 89 in Davis county. Particularly near cherry hills up to oak hills drive. I was hoping they would add a third northbound lane to give the slower vehicles an extra lane to climb the hill. I think there is plenty of room to add the lane up to about oak hills drive. The median work and curbing they did is pretty shoddy too. I can't decide if 89 is taking on a lot of I-15 northbound traffic and that is the major factor to the delays but they need to work on this. I would add an extra northbound lane until about oak hills dr. At the minimum I would add more time to the green lights north and south to clear out more traffic. Seems like an easy fix for a major road. I haven't read thru this forum but I would like to hear about any info you fellas may have about this portion of hwy 89.

Thanks

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:13 AM

Sorry about the double post

I didn't see my first post, thought it didn't go through, so I posted a second one. My apologies

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Can people stop equating Lehi with the Silicon Slopes? The Silicon Slopes are the entire Wasatch Front, not just Lehi. SLC alone has over 3x as many software companies as Lehi. Salt Lake County has 9x as many as Lehi, according to the Silicon Slopes website. Salt Lake County has almost 2x as many companies as Utah County. They are spread out all over the Wasatch Front, there is just a small, but very visible cluster in Lehi.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/13/a-hig...inkId=26533470

A high-tech mecca rises to rival Silicon Valley
Andrew Zaleski, special to CNBC.com

"Low taxes; cheap real estate; a pool of young engineering talent from the University of Utah, Utah State and Brigham Young; and a business-friendly environment have all converged to make Utah the top location for tech start-ups, right up there with founding teams in Boston and New York in the East or Seattle and Silicon Valley in the West.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce recently ranked Utah No.1 in innovation and entrepreneurship, No. 2 in high-tech performance and No. 3 in economic performance in a study of all 50 states. The state also topped CNBC's America's Top States for Business list this year."

Great article Stenar. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I don't usually come to this thread on weekends, but today I read some very good news that I have to share right now.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...a9a3494ec.html

Tl;dr, MAG won a TIGER grant for $20 million to improve bike and pedestrian access to transit stations and other major trails. Here's the breakdown:
  • $2 million for a pedestrian bridge between the Provo FrontRunner station and Freedom Boulevard
  • $2 million to link the Murdock Canal Trail to the historic rail trail with a bridge over SR 92
  • $4 million for sidewalks under I-15 to the American Fork FrontRunner station.
  • $4 million to improve access to the Orem FrontRunner station AND complete the Provo River Parkway trail to Deer Creek (no idea why these two are bundled together, but whatever
  • many other small improvements like new bike lanes, until the money runs out.

That's great! Thanks for posting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West