HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:24 PM

i've always found Edmonton to be fashion forward, far more fashion forward than Vancouver. Vancouver u can still find most girls wearing uggs and yoga pants and huys wearing puffy north face jackets.

walking around WEM and edmonton centre over the weekend i saw loads of fashionable/trendy people

Last edited by SpongeG; Dec 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Simons was never considered a high end store like Nordstroms. If anything it is known for bringing affordable fashion to the masses. Yes some stores do have high end designer names, but overall Simons is all about their house brand which is what makes it unique. I never buy anything at Simons but their house brand, because the other names you can get anywhere.
But Simons' house brand stuff is truly unique, and I always get asked where I get my nice clothing from when I wear Simons clothes. My American co-workers especially find Simons clothing interesting, and always ask where my clothes are from.

I do fear however that as Simons expands to the rest of Canada, they are going to lose some of their cutting edge unique designs. I say this because Simons apparently has had to adjust their clothing for Edmonton where they are less fashion forward and larger than Quebec people. That to me would be boring to have a dumbed down Simons.
the point was borught up earlier that simons and nordstroms shouldn't open next to each other where as i disagree they are nothing alike

i find simons to be like a giant H&M with a few designer brand names thrown in

overall its a great store but its not a full fledged department store in my eyes

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:22 PM

^ I think the yoga pants trend may be a West Coast thing. They're quite popular in LA right now too. Ugg boots though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
No, that's just our Mike. Our sweet ol' mike. 2 guys from east of the Manitoba border came to Edmonton's defense, by the way ( I read Molson's response that way.. an olive bar in Edmonton? zomg! )

"Inventory management" sounds pretty lame and euphemistic. an almost passive aggressive knee-jerk reaction by Simons. It reeks of damage control - much like McDonald's putting out a press release about how tasty and "fun" the McRib was after that image of a compressed pork snowmobile tread started to circulate.
Yeah, I know. Not all of you guys are like that, there are just a handful of you guys who ruin the image of the rest. Although I'm willing to look past that, I know many aren't and it is a root cause of Western alienation. It's why people would rather visit Salt Lake City than Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:40 PM
I am the law!

Yoga pants are the greatest fashion trend of all time. Let it last forever.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:20 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
^ I think the yoga pants trend may be a West Coast thing. They're quite popular in LA right now too. Ugg boots though...

Yeah, I know. Not all of you guys are like that, there are just a handful of you guys who ruin the image of the rest. Although I'm willing to look past that, I know many aren't and it is a root cause of Western alienation. It's why people would rather visit Salt Lake City than Toronto.
Other than avid skiers and the odd Mormon, I can't fathom anyone like that. Doesn't mesh with any concept of reality I could ever imagine or conceive of.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:38 AM

^ Haha, maybe SLC was a bit of an exaggeration...Houston, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Dallas, Santa Fe...other examples I can think of off of the top of my head. That being said, I know some people who have made the effort to go to SLC and haven't been to Toronto and don't show much interest in going anytime soon.

Of course, part of this is the fact that Toronto doesn't have an easily identifiable brand like Vancouver or Montreal, which are more obvious destinations to many (which is unfortunate because I think Toronto offers a lot more than Vancouver does - don't kill me Vancouverites). But you'd be surprised how many people are resentful of Central Canada and thus don't really bother with visiting the place to see if their notions are even anywhere near correct.

Last edited by ue; Dec 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Victoria's Secret officially opens in the Avalon Mall on Dec. 6. Apparently, it's already open - at least that's what one of the digital signs along Kenmount Road says.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So they are not adjusting their sizes, just carrying more of the larger sizes to fit the market, which makes sense.

I imagine (or hope) they are also carrying a bit less of the "Euro-twink" styles that I've seen at the downtown Montreal store. Some of that stuff would be seen as rather outré in Canada outside Quebec.
Peter Simons was in Gatineau for the official announcement yesterday.

He told our local paper that there would be a few more new stores announced later this year, but not that many and that after that, that would be it for a while.

Which means that all of the locations being speculated about across Canada form much too big a list.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:51 PM

Quote:
^ I think the yoga pants trend may be a West Coast thing. They're quite popular in LA right now too. Ugg boots though..
They are everywhere in Ontario too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:53 PM

^^ Well, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa-Gatineau have confirmed or built stores. I'm assuming a Toronto location or two will be announced, but I'm also guessing there will be at least one other market. Calgary seems most logical, but I'm not sure how actively they're pursuing that market. Maybe another Lower Mainland location? Winnipeg? Moncton? Kitchener? Hamilton?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^^ Well, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa-Gatineau have confirmed or built stores. I'm assuming a Toronto location or two will be announced, but I'm also guessing there will be at least one other market. Calgary seems most logical, but I'm not sure how actively they're pursuing that market. Maybe another Lower Mainland location? Winnipeg? Moncton? Kitchener? Hamilton?
Calgary, Winnipeg and Toronto are the ones reported as being in "talks". I doubt they'll go to all three.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

^ Can't see them building just one location in the GTA, though. It's too big a market. I'm guessing one location in the 416 (Yonge St, Queen St, Eaton Centre, Yorkville, or Yorkdale Mall) and another in the 905 (Vaughan, Mississauga, or Newmarket).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^ Can't see them building just one location in the GTA, though. It's too big a market. I'm guessing one location in the 416 (Yonge St, Queen St, Eaton Centre, Yorkville, or Yorkdale Mall) and another in the 905 (Vaughan, Mississauga, or Newmarket).
Square One and Yorkdale is what were mentioned in news reports.

Although it might be a question of investment capacity. The guy also said his company wasn't on the stock market, so they are financing all of this by themselves.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:34 PM

^ I would've hoped for an urban format location on a street for Toronto like Montreal's St-Catherine location. But, I guess nothing is firmed up yet, so who knows.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:32 AM

The eastern GTA seems to be losing out the most in this retail explosion...at least that is how I see it. Not much seems to be going that way despite being a market of over one million people.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mary Brown's (Newfoundland's version of KFC) has just opened its first international location in Istanbul, Turkey:

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...41331&latest=1

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:04 PM
Community Guy

There’s good news for Edmonton-area shoppers with the announcement of a new 85-store outlet mall planned for the Edmonton International Airport.

Developer Ivanhoe Cambridge and the airport announced Wednesday a conditional agreement for the project called, The Outlet Collection at EIA.

The new mall will be located next to the QEII Highway and south of Airport Road. Both Ivanhoe Cambridge and the airport must sign a final agreement in early 2014 with the outlet mall slated to open in the fall of 2016.

“This is great news. It means more shopping, entertainment and hospitality options, not only for passengers, but for Greater Edmonton. The airport is a self-funded not-for-profit corporation, so airport revenue that is generated by leasing the land for this project will be reinvested into building better air service for the Edmonton Region. Ultimately, this will support more flights to more places”, said Myron Keehn, EIA Vice President of Commercial Development said in a news release.

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bapbtv1CYAAKkv8.jpg:large)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...948/story.html

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:42 PM

nice

Vancouver's airport is also getting an outlet mall, the first one from a european company mcarthur glen in north america

some of the confirmed stores/brands so far are: prada, burberry, etro, Desigual, moncler, armani, polo ralph lauren, kate spade, escada, tumi, fossil, coach, ted baker, michael kors, j crew, gap...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:54 PM

/\ Calgary's getting an outdoor Tanger Outlet in the parking lot of Calaway Park 10 mins west of the city limits on TCH. I guess our "airport outlet" would be CrossIron I suppose.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
There is no other city in Canada that is more of a fashion mecca than Montreal! It is far above any other Canadian city in terms of having the most fashionable residents, and their shopping is the best as far as I'm concerned as well.
I wouldn't call bedazzled jeans fashion forward, and they seem to be very popular with the men of Montreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada