HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
The clear cutting in South Western Ontario saddens me.
As much as the current clear cutting for the tar sands? Keep in mind much of that clear cutting in not only southern Ontario but Quebec was done to support ship building back in Europe. It also helped clear the land for some of the most fertile farm land on the continent. Also large swaths of Southern Ontario were and are mixed woods plains.

source: saltofkingston.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Definitely lots of deciduous trees in Northern Ontario. Anywhere that has been clear cut loses its pines and spruce and they get replaced by hardier, faster growing aspen.
I gotta say after living in toronto for a year working for some part of that time, in a lumber yard this stuff is fascinating.

Living in newfoundland we have that island biome thing going on.

It's really hard to appreciate the idea that there is a great deal of competition among species in nature.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:52 PM
BANNED

I really dug this one.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:56 PM

Sorry my map is so large guys, if you like I can remove it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Actually that is true of the USDA hardiness zones but not the Environment Canada zones. If you look carefully at the two maps, you'll see that the hardiness zones don't match the annual minimum temperatures. Newfoundland's south coast is tied with Windsor for annual minimum, for example, but it has the same hardiness zone as Ottawa.
The Environment Canada hardiness zones match very closely the extreme minimum temp... not sure how you can see anything different from those maps?

Newfoundland's south coast has the same hardiness color as extreme southern Ontario, not Ottawa. Ottawa is in violet/purple (zones 4a/4b) while the southern coast of Newfoundland is green and even khaki just south of St. John's (zones 6a/6b) just like London/Windsor/Niagara in general.

Anyway, hardiness zones == extreme minimum temps, maybe with a slight adjustment for the length of those extreme peaks. If the occurrences of temps near the extreme minimum are always brief, it requires a bit less flora hardiness than if the place can stay for a week close to the extreme minimum.

They're always going to be extremely directly correlated.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 9:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few more. Our south coast where it's mildest is ironically barren - it looks like the arctic.

Strait of Belle Isle: Rugged coastline. Cool summers, cold winters. Dwarf white spruce and moss dominate. Black spruce and tamarack also common.

Northern Peninsula: Forested coastal lowlands. Cool summers, mild winters. Balsam fir at low elevations, black spruce at higher ones. Kalmia heath and dwarf black spruce common.

Southwestern Newfoundland: Plateau barrens. Cool summers, cold exceptionally snowy winters. Balsam fir dominates. Extreme elevation changes, rich wildlife biodiversity.

Long Range Mountains: Forested heath and moss barrens. Cool summers, cold winters.

Northeastern Newfoundland: Warmest summers of coastal areas due to prevailing winds pushing relatively warm air from Central Newfoundland to the coast. Short, cold winters. Black and white spruce, balsam fir, and feather-moss dominate.

Central Newfoundland: Cool summers, short/cold winters. Continental climate. Balsam fir and black spruce most common. Steep river banks and hills. Generally poor soil conditions.

Maritime Barrens: Long periods of fog. Cool summers, short/mild winters with a mean winter temp of -1C. Balsam fir dominates but is replaced by black spruce, tamarack, and shrubs after fires.

Avalon Forest: Cold summers, cool winters. Lots of fog. Balsam fir less than 12m in height dominate. Rich biodiversity due to volcanic rocks and good soil conditions.

South Avalon Burin Oceanic Barrens: Cool summers, short/mild winters. Lots of fog throughout whole summer. Dense carpets of moss and lichen. Peat-covered.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 9, 2015 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Just FWIW, this Natural Resources Canada sourced map totally supports my "hardiness zone" == "extreme minimum temp".

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I have no idea which side of that debate is correct - but I think that map is just the temperature one. However and to whatever extent that informs the plant hardiness zones, I've no idea, but that map isn't them as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:24 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
As much as the current clear cutting for the tar sands? Keep in mind much of that clear cutting in not only southern Ontario but Quebec was done to support ship building back in Europe. It also helped clear the land for some of the most fertile farm land on the continent. Also large swaths of Southern Ontario were and are mixed woods plains.
Keep in mind that the oilsands operations will be reclaimed and the forest will grow back, they are only temporary in the scheme of things. The trees lost in SW Ontario are gone forever as development replaces them.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I have no idea which side of that debate is correct - but I think that map is just the temperature one. However and to whatever extent that informs the plant hardiness zones, I've no idea, but that map isn't them as far as I can tell.
The map you posted is a hardiness zone map.

If you erased all text (especially, obviously, the map's title) but left the numbers (3a, 4b, etc.) and the colors and the chart to the right, and showed it to people, you'd get unanimous answers about what the map is.

Here's the exact correlation, for anyone who wants:

http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/index.pl?m=15&lang=en

It takes into account the typical minimal snow cover on the ground, which was a pretty well identified flaw of the old method. And wind, as well. etc.

It's a nice evolution (and yes, I will say it: it means someone123 was correct ) but it's still extremely directly correlated with extreme min temps.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Keep in mind that the oilsands operations will be reclaimed and the forest will grow back, they are only temporary in the scheme of things. The trees lost in SW Ontario are gone forever as development replaces them.
Farmland in southwestern Ontario can become forest again if we want, probably way more easily than the currently exploited oilsands areas can...

If you're talking about "developed areas", then I'm not sure exactly why you consider that Calgary could revert to forest more easily than London or Windsor. It's a tie there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:09 AM
I am a typical

From 200km above earth,

The oilsands:

The Iron Range:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Farmland in southwestern Ontario can become forest again if we want, probably way more easily than the currently exploited oilsands areas can...
Absolutely easier. Farmland still has soil, for one thing. Even there, to regrow the biodiversity of a clear-cut boreal forest will take about half a millennium.

Areas cleared for oilsands operations have been clear-cut, with all wetlands and watersheds drained, all soil completely removed, and the earth excavated. So that will regrow in...I don't even know. A very, very, very long time.

In addition to the 750 or so square kilometes directly strip-mined and destroyed by direct oilsands operations (so far), an area dozens of times that large—nearly a quarter of Alberta's land area—has been affected by some lesser degree of landscape alteration for oil extraction, some of it minor, but some of it quite significant.

And so far, 104 hectares of oilsands-affected land has been reclaimed. That's a grand total 1.04 square kilometres. The industry boasts that “77 square kilometres are under active reclamation”, which is a pretty pitiful number itself, made more pathetic given that there's no actual commitment to timelines and no political will to make the energy industry actually do fuck-all to restore what it's destroyed.

The industry boasts that only a fraction of the boreal forest has been ruined by development, which is true, but A: they're certainly eager to exploit lots more land, and B: The destruction of a relatively small area has huge impacts on migratory species, watersheds and ecosystem health over a far vaster area.

It's true that the oilsands are not the evil climate/environmental bogeyman they're made out to be—they're dirty, but still comprise a fairly small part of global carbon emissions. But it's pretty goddamn horrible on a local level.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:57 AM
Beer me Captain

Not sure if you're just unaware or have a bias. Yes, only 1.04 sq kms of land have been certified as reclaimed since it takes about 25 years from when the reclamation activity ends until the AB gov't accepts that the land as fully returned to a "natural" state. What that really means is that once land is fully reclaimed, it has to "sit" for roughly 25 years to allow the scientists to study it and ensure that it represents a natural ecosystem. So yes nearly 100km have been reclaimed, but since the bulk of these reclamations have ended within the past 5-10 years, it will still take another 15-20 years until they are certified - though if you actually visited them today, you'd be hard pressed to recognize that they were previously industrial land.

So here's a question for you ... from a Gaia perspective, when land is removed from a natural flora and fauna state, she doesn't care if it's being used for oil extraction, other industrial form or human habitation. Since the oil sands have a maximum amount of surface mineable lands equalling 1000 sq kms - which will be reclaimed (eventually), from a Gaia perspective, what is worse in 100 years, the not yet certified by fully reclaimed land or the 8000+ sq kms of the GTA sprawl that will NEVER be reclaimed?? Not all of S. Ontario clear cutting can so easily be reclaimed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Absolutely easier. Farmland still has soil, for one thing. Even there, to regrow the biodiversity of a clear-cut boreal forest will take about half a millennium.

In addition to the 750 or so square kilometes directly strip-mined and destroyed by direct oilsands operations (so far), an area dozens of times that large—nearly a quarter of Alberta's land area—has been affected by some lesser degree of landscape alteration for oil extraction, some of it minor, but some of it quite significant.

And so far, 104 hectares of oilsands-affected land has been reclaimed. That's a grand total 1.04 square kilometres. The industry boasts that “77 square kilometres are under active reclamation”, which is a pretty pitiful number itself, made more pathetic given that there's no actual commitment to timelines and no political will to make the energy industry actually do fuck-all to restore what it's destroyed.
FYI, through AWA I have actually protested Sands development (I was there in '01 protesting against Fort Hills disturbing the McClelland Fen) however complete mistruths like yours bothers me even more.

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Jul 11, 2015 at 5:59 AM. Reason: Whoops, typo.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 7:17 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
So here's a question for you ... from a Gaia perspective, when land is removed from a natural flora and fauna state, she doesn't care if it's being used for oil extraction, other industrial form or human habitation. Since the oil sands have a maximum amount of surface mineable lands equalling 1000 sq kms - which will be reclaimed (eventually), from a Gaia perspective, what is worse in 100 years, the not yet certified by fully reclaimed land or the 8000+ sq kms of the GTA sprawl that will NEVER be reclaimed?? Not all of S. Ontario clear cutting can so easily be reclaimed ...
Oh c'mon, you know that's a dishonest comparison. And I am not even against oilsands in any way. 8000 sq km of southern Ontario is NOT urbanized by the GTA. That is greater than the size of the entire area, which includes HUGE amounts of farmland, forest and protected wetlands. AND, which is being urbanized outwards at the slowest rate in decades despite sustained population growth. Places to Grow is finally starting to take effect.

Of course those lands will be reclaimed. Just like all the mines in Ontario were supposed to be… (Oh! the new ones will…)

I want to place a metaphorical gun in my Master's of Environmental studies earning mouth any time someone mentions Gaia theory.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Not sure if you're just unaware or have a bias. Yes, only 1.04 sq kms of land have been certified as reclaimed since it takes about 25 years from when the reclamation activity ends until the AB gov't accepts that the land as fully returned to a "natural" state. What that really means is that once land is fully reclaimed, it has to "sit" for roughly 25 years to allow the scientists to study it and ensure that it represents a natural ecosystem. So yes nearly 100km have been reclaimed, but since the bulk of these reclamations have ended within the past 5-10 years, it will still take another 15-20 years until they are certified - though if you actually visited them today, you'd be hard pressed to recognize that they were previously industrial land.

FYI, through AWA I have actually protested Sands development (I was there in '01 protesting against Fort Hills disturbing the McClelland Fen) however complete mistruths like yours bothers me even more.
I think I already explained myself pretty all, but to reiterate the key points:

A: The oilsands are not merely clear cut, they're excavated and stripped of all soil, with watersheds drained and eliminated (this has huge downstream impacts.)

B: The mineable area is not 1,000 sq. km., but nearly 5,000 (according to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.)

C: It's that reclamation takes a long time, but as I said, only 77 sq. km are under active reclamation now (again, according to CAPP, which means this is the figure friendliest to the industry).

D: From a Gaia perspective, as you say, the type of disturbance does matter. Toronto, to use your example, is still full of trees, waterways, ecosystems, etc. Migrating birds pass through, fish live in the city's streams, animals live in ravines and parks...it's certainly not pristine nature, but it's a human and animal habitat. A far cry from what amounts to a denuded crater where a forest used to be.

I'm not sure why Canadians are so quick to leap to the defence of the oilsands. Yes, the industry has been unfairly maligned and targeted by international environmental activists, but it's still an ecological disaster.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 12:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:

If you're talking about "developed areas", then I'm not sure exactly why you consider that Calgary could revert to forest more easily than London or Windsor. It's a tie there.
True story, in south western newfoundland we use to have alot of farms in a place called the codroy valley.

It's actuallythe craziest thing ever to see forests take back what was in your memory once farm land.

In a 15-20 year period the place has experienced drastic change.

It was actually quite odd to get lost in a place because you can no longer recongize individual farms.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think I already explained myself pretty all, but to reiterate the key points:

A: The oilsands are not merely clear cut, they're excavated and stripped of all soil, with watersheds drained and eliminated (this has huge downstream impacts.)

B: The mineable area is not 1,000 sq. km., but nearly 5,000 (according to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.)

C: It's that reclamation takes a long time, but as I said, only 77 sq. km are under active reclamation now (again, according to CAPP, which means this is the figure friendliest to the industry).

D: From a Gaia perspective, as you say, the type of disturbance does matter. Toronto, to use your example, is still full of trees, waterways, ecosystems, etc. Migrating birds pass through, fish live in the city's streams, animals live in ravines and parks...it's certainly not pristine nature, but it's a human and animal habitat. A far cry from what amounts to a denuded crater where a forest used to be.

I'm not sure why Canadians are so quick to leap to the defence of the oilsands. Yes, the industry has been unfairly maligned and targeted by international environmental activists, but it's still an ecological disaster.
Agreed and I think a key point is no one is gonna wanna actually live in the tar sands. Millions of people live in the gta, that's a drastic difference.

Keeping in mind either conservative or liberals like having a green belt, it keeps property values high, and land usage at a mininum.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
True story, in south western newfoundland we use to have alot of farms in a place called the codroy valley.

It's actuallythe craziest thing ever to see forests take back what was in your memory once farm land.

In a 15-20 year period the place has experienced drastic change.

It was actually quite odd to get lost in a place because you can no longer recongize individual farms.
Craziest thing? Seems normal to me

I was actually going to politely dispute Drybrain's claim that it takes 500 years for the forest to return to a natural state.

I'm a historical records geek, and after digging in those I found that a good part of my ~150 acres outside this small northern New Hampshire town used to be a farm in the early 1800s. It's a hilly area, and this land has the quite rare characteristic of being mostly flat, nestled between two hills, and right off the main road too. It's therefore not very surprising that it was a farm site back when everyone had to grow their stuff locally.

There currently are mature trees 50-100 years old over there (as well as beavers, deer, woodpeckers, etc.)

As long as you've got a few generations of mature trees (for reproduction), I don't see what exactly you're missing that takes an extra 300-400 years to build up...?

For biodiversity, I would say it seems to compare with Beckett Woods in Sherbrooke, a very rare original forest that was never cut (I mean of course you'll have 300+ years old maples there, etc. but in terms of flora/fauna, they don't really do anything more than a 50 year old one, do they?)

i.e. being familiar with both, I can't manage to name one single fauna/flora item that Beckett Woods, an intact pre-Columbian forest in the same area, has, that my forest doesn't have, if you don't count age as a characteristic. In fact, it's the other way around -- there are trees from pioneer species that require a lot of sunlight that are absent in the old-growth forest, but that I have in mine (black cherry, quaking aspen, etc.) So, more diversity in the recently-messed-with forest than in the intact one..

Last edited by lio45; Jul 11, 2015 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Craziest thing? Seems normal to me

I was actually going to politely dispute Drybrain's claim that it takes 500 years for the forest to return to a natural state.

I'm a historical records geek, and after digging in those I found that a good part of my ~150 acres outside this small northern New Hampshire town used to be a farm in the early 1800s. It's a hilly area, and this land has the quite rare characteristic of being mostly flat, nestled between two hills, and right off the main road too. It's therefore not very surprising that it was a farm site back when everyone had to grow their stuff locally.

There currently are mature trees 50-100 years old over there (as well as beavers, deer, woodpeckers, etc.)

As long as you've got a few generations of mature trees (for reproduction), I don't see what exactly you're missing that takes an extra 300-400 years to build up...?

For biodiversity, I would say it seems to compare with Beckett Woods in Sherbrooke, a very rare original forest that was never cut (I mean of course you'll have 300+ years old maples there, etc. but in terms of flora/fauna, they don't really do anything more than a 50 year old one, do they?)

i.e. being familiar with both, I can't manage to name one single fauna/flora item that Beckett Woods, an intact pre-Columbian forest in the same area, has, that my forest doesn't have, if you don't count age as a characteristic.
Your talking about farm land.

Also your talking about it as if you've never seen it, it's a very different effect in person, especially over a very very short period of time.

The tar sands aren't just removing trees, but soil, water ways rivers, bogs etc.

Not only are you removing stuff your creating gaps in a biome, a no mans land that causes life on both sides of this gap to also face reduced biodiversity.

Forests are often thought about like big flower beds that are in a pristine balance with nature, when in reality are massive biochemical processes.

Nature is never in a stationary balance. It's in a state of constant change.

Biomes are masters to adapting to constant change.

They regulate the chemistry of the soil, and they maintain water levels in the ground. By maintaining the amount of fresh water they in turn regulate microclimates. As a moist bog or whatever regulates temperature much better than a pile of dirt or rock.(water stores heat way more effectively than anything else in nature)

A biome may have 10,000 different species with only 100-500 species dominating that biome at a time. However there is always a king of the hill type struggle where as one species becomes dominant, another dormant species is able to establish a new niche.

It's cylical with cycles on top of cycles. It might be several hundred years before one of those less prevalent species becomes the talk of the walk, but the point is they are there.

Ironically what people fail to recongize is that our business society essentially functions on the exact same principles as nature.

One of the ironies with the whole nature is perfect debate, is that nature isn't better because it is natural.

Nature is better because it's established with a proven track record.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada