HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Vancouver is now 2nd in the west after defeating San Jose last night 3-1.
I'm hoping that this is a sign of them getting back to their winning ways at home. After the epic road-trip during the WWC turned out as well as it did, if they can finish the season playing at BC Place like they did last year, they should finish high in the standings.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:57 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Nesta with the Impact. and DiVaio. and now Drogba. Venegas this year.
Those guys were well past their prime when they joined Impact (I'm not talking about age, just their demand among top clubs). Di Vaio had a good run of form in his first year over here, no doubt, but still not Drogba fresh out of Chelsea. A young gun like Venegas would be even better than Drogba in my opinion!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Those guys were well past their prime when they joined Impact (I'm not talking about age, just their demand among top clubs). Di Vaio had a good run of form in his first year over here, no doubt, but still not Drogba fresh out of Chelsea. A young gun like Venegas would be even better than Drogba in my opinion!
Now I just hope that Klopas doesn't just put Drogba at the top and expect him to be a runner (Oduro style). I feel that the 4-2-3-1 that he favours so much won't work with Drogba.

Ideally I'd prefer a wide 4-4-2 with Drogba on the left-centre and Oduro feeding him from the right. Oh man, I'm so excited! Drogba has been one of my favourite players for a very long time.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:31 PM

Nice welcome for Drogba in Montreal
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...real-1.3173076

Video Link

Let's compare with Gerrard arrival in LA:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Nice welcome for Drogba in Montreal
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...real-1.3173076

Video Link

Let's compare with Gerrard arrival in LA:

Video Link
That was amazing today at Dorval. I did not expect that at all.

Days like these are always fun, although it's also true these guys are often a letdown...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:43 PM

Not wanting to sound like an alarmist or anything, but doesn't this seem a bit like history repeating itself?

High (perhaps unsustainable) salaries being paid to lure high-profile Euro stars over in the twilight of their careers, a handful of teams spending four, five times the salary levels of the majority of other teams in the league, essentially creating a multi-tiered structure of team salaries?

It's starting to look a bit like the early '80s NASL.

I realize that there are differences these days -- better TV revenues, a 'designated player' system (though I'm not really sold on this), and possibly better vetting of ownership (again, I'm not sure that this is the case).

I guess we'll see how this all plays out. I don't think it's good for the league if the Galaxy win (say) seven of the next ten MLS Cups.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:43 PM
Go Chiefs!

Great to see Saputo finally spending money. All the talk is about Drogba but people forget Venegas who people are telling is a better version of Romero.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:01 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Why does football have the best commercials/adverts? They're always clever, playful and awesome. No other sport comes close.

This is one of the best commercials I've ever seen in my life:

Video Link

Actually, this one for the 2010 World Cup was amazing, too:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Not wanting to sound like an alarmist or anything, but doesn't this seem a bit like history repeating itself?

High (perhaps unsustainable) salaries being paid to lure high-profile Euro stars over in the twilight of their careers, a handful of teams spending four, five times the salary levels of the majority of other teams in the league, essentially creating a multi-tiered structure of team salaries?

I realize that there are differences these days -- better TV revenues, a 'designated player' system (though I'm not really sold on this), and possibly better vetting of ownership (again, I'm not sure that this is the case).

I guess we'll see how this all plays out. I don't think it's good for the league if the Galaxy win (say) seven of the next ten MLS Cups.
Excellent points. I remember that. Hope you are wrong though.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:43 AM

Vancouver beats it's most hated rival 3 nil in Seattle and are now first in the West again. Also have the most road wins in the league, have 12 wins which matches their total for all of last year, have the best keeper in the league, all despite being the youngest team in the league.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 8:55 PM

That game attracted 53,125 fans. Its only a matter of time before BC Place gets a larger configuration. At least for playoffs. Maybe this year?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
That game attracted 53,125 fans. Its only a matter of time before BC Place gets a larger configuration. At least for playoffs. Maybe this year?
I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver does expand the seating capacity for the playoffs but as of right now, their 21,000 seat capacity is adequate for regular season games. For almost all home games, you can still buy seats together on gamedays. If the organization eventually decides to expand the capacity there are still 7,000 seats in the lower bowl which are currently tarped off that can be used.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver does expand the seating capacity for the playoffs but as of right now, their 21,000 seat capacity is adequate for regular season games. For almost all home games, you can still buy seats together on gamedays. If the organization eventually decides to expand the capacity there are still 7,000 seats in the lower bowl which are currently tarped off that can be used.
Any idea what is the total capacity of BC Place soccer mode? I know there is extra seats that are added to bring the one end and one side lower to the field and to fill in the area because a soccer field is smaller than a CFL field?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 11:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post

Yes but the primary difference is that those disparities in the 70s were a result of poor planning.

The current regime was very much a planned effort to bring stability to the league.

Anyway I'm so tired of these comparisons.

I stopped following mls in 2011, mostly because I haven't had a television,/my ankles got to shit to play.

However I have to say after ignoring the league for almost four years, they've really impressed me if the numbers are correct.

ONe of the reasons I lost interest was TFC shitting the bed, however they seem like they got things back in line.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Yes but the primary difference is that those disparities in the 70s were a result of poor planning.

The current regime was very much a planned effort to bring stability to the league.

Anyway I'm so tired of these comparisons.

I stopped following mls in 2011, mostly because I haven't had a television,/my ankles got to shit to play.

However I have to say after ignoring the league for almost four years, they've really impressed me if the numbers are correct.

ONe of the reasons I lost interest was TFC shitting the bed, however they seem like they got things back in line.
I recommend to get MLSlive for those without a TV, you can watch most games live and all games after 48 hours.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 12:40 PM

Giovani Dos Santos arrives at the Airport in LA

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 8:41 PM
Go Chiefs!

Nice road win by the Impact. Piatti with 2 more goals.

Cannot wait to see the team with Venegas and Drogba.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 9:07 PM

Ciman, Drogba, Venegas, Piatti..... wow.

IMFC has great depth at every level. I predict an epic collapse for TFC.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Nice road win by the Impact. Piatti with 2 more goals.

Cannot wait to see the team with Venegas and Drogba.
For a while there I was hoping the Whitecaps would sign a big name or 2, but it doesn't seem to make much difference if you look at who is atop the standings.

I hope it doesn't make a difference for Montreal. I want the Canadian Championship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada