HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:38 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Given what has just happened (only two cities interested), my best guess is that Quebec City will likely be a relocation location as opposed to an expansion location. Maybe sooner than later.

Québecor will likely happily swallow the loss of the couple million it put forth with its expansion application, as buying the Panthers, Hurricanes, Coyotes or Blue Jackets and moving them will likely be quite a bit cheaper than 500M US dollars for an expansion club.
It's not that surprising that only 2 bids were received, not coincidentally from the two cities that have new completed, or nearly-completed, arenas. Given that potential applicants had only 2-3 weeks to prepare a bid, with evidence of financing and building, it would have been very difficult for a Seattle or GTA group to get their information together in that short a time, and to kiss $2M goodbye for the privilege of doing so.

Simply, Quebec and Vegas were ready to put in a bid like this as a lot of the work needed had already been done. Any other bidder would have had to have worked a minor miracle to meet that timeline.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Given what has just happened (only two cities interested), my best guess is that Quebec City will likely be a relocation location as opposed to an expansion location. Maybe sooner than later.

Québecor will likely happily swallow the loss of the couple million it put forth with its expansion application, as buying the Panthers, Hurricanes, Coyotes or Blue Jackets and moving them will likely be quite a bit cheaper than 500M US dollars for an expansion club.
If anything I think It's completely opposite. You have 2 cities in Vegas and QC willing to pay half a billion for a franchise and 2 that want a franchise but not at that price tag. Seattle/GTA will likely be relocation destinations. I'm not sure why you wouldn't see QC as an expansion candidate. The NHL is going to push for that rather than Relocation. They are obviously looking to expand by 2 teams and their is 2 cities and only 2 cities interested...seems pretty obvious to me that the league is going to chase the billion dollar outcome and still have 2 cities on stand by for relocation.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
If anything I think It's completely opposite. You have 2 cities in Vegas and QC willing to pay half a billion for a franchise and 2 that want a franchise but not at that price tag. Seattle/GTA will likely be relocation destinations. I'm not sure why you wouldn't see QC as an expansion candidate. The NHL is going to push for that rather than Relocation. They are obviously looking to expand by 2 teams and their is 2 cities and only 2 cities interested...seems pretty obvious to me that the league is going to chase the billion dollar outcome and still have 2 cities on stand by for relocation.
Could be.

The NHL has also hinted that the expansion fee would vary according to the city. QC would pay less than Vegas for example.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:06 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Could be.

The NHL has also hinted that the expansion fee would vary according to the city. QC would pay less than Vegas for example.
I think the franchise fee would be dependent on what kind of revenue the owner would expect. Higher potential for revenue, higher franchise fee. If QC is such a solid market that many people claim it is.....it's going to pay appropriately.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I think the franchise fee would be dependent on what kind of revenue the owner would expect. Higher potential for revenue, higher franchise fee. If QC is such a solid market that many people claim it is.....it's going to pay appropriately.
The fee seems exorbitant considering that the Jets were purchased for $170 million. What has changed in the NHL's profit picture such that a franchise would now be worth triple what it was barely 4 years ago? Vegas and Quebec would probably be at best middling hockey markets. (Quebec has the fanbase but the relatively small size would probably keep it from reaching the upper echelon)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:10 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The fee seems exorbitant considering that the Jets were purchased for $170 million. What has changed in the NHL's profit picture such that a franchise would now be worth triple what it was barely 4 years ago? Vegas and Quebec would probably be at best middling hockey markets. (Quebec has the fanbase but the relatively small size would probably keep it from reaching the upper echelon)
Plus add in the effects of the drop in the Canadian dollar. It's supposed to continue a dowdownward trajectory for the rest of the year, so Canadian teams will all feel that sting.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:33 PM

Great story

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:56 PM
Go Chiefs!

I repeat... the kid is still only 14!!! He just defeated the World #205 player in straight sets.

Félix Auger-Aliassime earns spot in Granby quarter-finals

Quote:
GRANBY — When Tennis Canada puts together its list of wild-card candidates for next month’s Rogers Cup Canadian Open, Félix Auger-Aliassime’s name should be at the top.

Sure, he’s only 14-years old, but if the idea of the wild cards is to reward hard work and develop talent, Auger-Aliassime is deserving of recognition.

As the men’s singles field at the $100,000 National Bank Granby Challenger was trimmed to eight players Thursday, the precocious youngster was 0ne of only two Canadians still in contention after upsetting eighth-seeded Darian King of Barbados 7-5, 6-3.

Upset may not be the right word. While King checks in at No. 196 in the ATP Tour rankings and Auger-Aliassime won’t make his debut in the rankings until next week, the Montreal teenager was flat-out the better player.
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/te...quarter-finals

I only watched the first set as it was getting late here in Europe but man he was incredible. If you think Milos Raonic is good wait until you see this kid. He is the complete package.

EDIT: Of course, TSN has no story about that. Instead several stories about useless sports like baseball and golf. There is even a WWC story instead.

Last edited by Nicko999; Jul 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I repeat... the kid is still only 14!!! He just defeated the World #205 player in straight sets.

Félix Auger-Aliassime earns spot in Granby quarter-finals

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/te...quarter-finals

I only watched the first set as it was getting late here in Europe but man he was incredible. If you think Milos Raonic is good wait until you see this kid. He is the complete package.
Canadian tennis... looking good!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:19 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
He is in black...
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
And don't forget Posposil from Vancouver. Lots of young Canadian talent coming up!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
And don't forget Posposil from Vernon. Lots of young Canadian talent coming up!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 9:08 PM

David Hearn fires an 8 under 64 to move into T3 at the Canadian Open. Last canadian to win the open was Pat Fletcher in 1954.

Pretty sparse field the weekend with regards to top flight golfers. Canadian Open really needs a new date somewhere else in the season to make it premier event like it once was.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 9:37 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
And don't forget Posposil from Vancouver. Lots of young Canadian talent coming up!
Pospisil is close to peak right now. I really like him (maybe even more than Raonic) but I don't see him being anything more than top 25.

Auger Aliassime is in a class of its own. Kid has #1 written all over it. No even Federer, Nadal or Djokovic has done the things he has at 14 although that is no guarantee of anything.

If all goes well, I predict he will be the most well known Canadian sportsman in the World by the time his career is over.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:15 PM

David Hearn takes a two shot lead into the final round of the Canadian Open

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Auger Aliassime is in a class of its own. Kid has #1 written all over it. No even Federer, Nadal or Djokovic has done the things he has at 14 although that is no guarantee of anything.
Which is exactly the problem with hyping up a player so much at such a young age. Just because you're good at 14 doesn't mean you'll be good at 24 or 34.

You know what guys were good at 14? Young, Monfils, Harrison....did any of them ever live up to the hype?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I don't buy the "one in 10" Americans follow the CFL though. I can't imagine the CFL being on anybodies radar in Oklahoma City or suburban Dallas. I can see it being a big deal in border places like Rochester NY and other cities that have a close tie into Canada. I
We Got Americans Talking CFL, It’s The Best

Ian Dougherty (@IanDougherty): The first thing that really got my attention about the CFL was that I recognized a good amount of the players on the field. I’m a bit of a college football junkie, so I know a lot of CFL players from their days in the NCAA. Seeing some guys that I recognized and enjoyed during their college days, whom I would have otherwise forgotten, was very nice.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The era of the Mount Allison Mounties being the (probably) last holdout CIS team playing on natural turf have come to an end. Observe the new artificial turf field being installed.

The cost of the upgrade (as well as a new scoreboard and bleachers) is being born by alumni donations. The fact that the Mounties have been AUS champions the last two years has certainly helped.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 11:01 PM

It will be interesting to see how WWE will honour the passing this last week of Saskatoon born Prairie wrestler 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper (but marketed as Scottish from his ancestral heritage) at tonight's Monday Night RAW.

Hulk Hogan has been effectively scrubbed from any publicizing with WWE & removed from any WWE promo including judging from tv's Tough Enough, after Hulk's on going racist remarks over the year's.

A tribute at RAW to the WWE Hall of famer 'Hot Rod' Piper without Hulk would miss an integral part of Piper's career, especially if omitting the inaugural Wrestlemania 1 against Hulk & Mr. T at Madison Sq Gardens in the 1980s.

Video Link

'Rowdy' Ronda Rousey, named saked after Piper, dictated her Woman's Bantamweight Championship UFC win this last Saturday night.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:03 PM

So with walk up's and a couple months to go, The Manitoba moose should sit around 5000 fans per night. Not bad for a market with 4 pro sports teams Winnipeg's size. Put's them on par with the Oilkings and Hitmen

http://globalnews.ca/news/2147334/ma...t-sales-brisk/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada