HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Disagree. See previous.

Give me the old Ogden temple back.

The new temples remind me of brand architecture. How all the Olive Gardens look a like. As well as all the hotel and restaurant brands. The temple looks nice but it looks like every other temple. I actually did like the look of the Ogden and Provo temples. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have been replaced. A business has to do what it has to do to appeal to the masses. I would have preferred if one of the two older ones would have remained.

That’s my 2 cents.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Haha, I'm tempted to use an "Orlandoism" on you Atlas but I realize it's just a difference of opinion.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 3:39 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
The new temples remind me of brand architecture. How all the Olive Gardens look a like. As well as all the hotel and restaurant brands. The temple looks nice but it looks like every other temple. I actually did like the look of the Ogden and Provo temples. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have been replaced. A business has to do what it has to do to appeal to the masses. I would have preferred if one of the two older ones would have remained.

That’s my 2 cents.
They were both hideous. The Church Office Building has got to get an update, too. I don't care that it's a "specific type of architecture from a specific time period." It looks terrible.

These are all new Temples being built......in Utah. Tell me again they all look alike.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:46 PM

I think the COB is totally fine, IMO. I don't why a lot of you keep picking on it. It has a great stature and formality about it. The north side is probably the least aesthetically pleasing part of it.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 13, 2024 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 9:34 PM

The COB is a hideous relic from the worst era of architecture. Just my opinion, of course.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 9:38 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think the COB is totally fine, IMP. I don't why a lot of you keep picking on it. It has a great stature and formality about it. The north side is probably the least aesthetically pleasing part of it.
I pick on it because I think it looks hideous. There's nothing about it for me that looks appealing. Same goes for the Provo Temple. Comparing the current version to the concept art, there's no question in my mind about which version is more visually appealing.

I'm a big fan of certain types of "older" architecture, but the 1960's and 1970's don't hold any special place in my heart. Both the COB and the Provo Temple opened in the same year ('72). And they're both terrible.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 1:25 PM

Sorry if this is in the Provo Thread. Just a little follow up to the COB comments

Except for the north side, I'm not quite as critical of the COB as some of you. More along the line with Orlando's comment. If they would just correct the design misfortune on that north side I would be fine with it. One it is far more attractive than its many contemporaries here on the West Coast of that same window curtain pattern. Also, it is one of the singular specific design examples from that period in SLC.

Reeder, your post of the Temple reminded me also of what might be possible on that large lot north of the COB and to the east of the new Records Building. I would like to see that old 50s/60s low-rise situated toward the middle of the block demoed and that entire southeast corner developed with an attractive 12 to 20-floor mixed-use office/multi-family residential tower. That would certainly help with the current downtown residential focus and also the Church's campus office concentration. Also, as an added plus it would help a great deal with the skyline views from the north, east, and west. The stepped-up east/west views would be a big plus

If as often rumored the COB skin is not going to be seismically stable long-term I would be happy to see the Tower curtain redesigned to be something similar to the LDS Church's new Alexander Tower in Philadelphia, perhaps with a cream stone for its material and plenty of carved symbolism as we see on many of the new temples and classic 30s' towers of the past. Somewhat of a definitive Art Deco design.

Here's that aerial pic of the plot I'm talking about. A lot of positive potential there. I'm sure there are plans to redevelop that corner at some point. I hope it's sooner than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Temple Square

From Google Maps Images
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...enNm?entry=ttu

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2024 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 12:41 PM

Primary Children’s Hospital in Lehi to open in February, tours available

Visit PrimaryPromise.org to make your tour reservation.

Lehi Free Press - By Skylar Beltran - Full Article @ https://lehifreepress.com/2024/01/12...urs-available/

Monday, February 12 will be a historic day for children’s healthcare in Utah, and for Lehi City, as Intermountain Primary Children’s Hospital in Lehi opens its doors to patients.

Mods have been asked to start enforcing the Rules for posting articles:

Articles
Articles, such as news articles or blog posts, must be posted in a special way to avoid copyright infringement. Information about the source of the article must be given and only the beginning portion of the article text may be posted.

When posting an article please include the following information:
- the title of the article,
- the author's name,
- the name of the publication,
- the date of publication,
- a URL to the original article,
- only the first few sentences or the first paragraph of the article (not the entire article).

The exact format you use is up to you but it must contain the above information.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Jan 16, 2024 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 3:18 AM
Lahaina Strong

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:50 PM
Engineer

Looks like Utah Lake restoration is going back to the drawing board with a potential new study now that the horrible island development proposal is dead:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50936634...-for-new-study

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:14 PM

Provo, Utah, will soon be an international transportation hub

By Amber Nampiwocki - Utah Business - https://www.utahbusiness.com/provo-a...eid=7c4c6f8c2a

This story appears in the 2024 Advisor, a publication sponsored by Colliers Utah.

As the state with the best economy in the nation, according to the U.S. News & World Report, Utah is flying high—and the expansion of the Provo Municipal Airport stands as a symbol of the state’s economic growth.

Again, moving forward, please adhere to the posting of articles rule:

Articles
Articles, such as news articles or blog posts, must be posted in a special way to avoid copyright infringement. Information about the source of the article must be given and only the beginning portion of the article text may be posted.

When posting an article please include the following information:
- the title of the article,
- the author's name,
- the name of the publication,
- the date of publication,
- a URL to the original article,
- only the first few sentences or the first paragraph of the article (not the entire article).

The exact format you use is up to you but it must contain the above information.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Mar 27, 2024 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 10:23 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Looks like Utah Lake restoration is going back to the drawing board with a potential new study now that the horrible island development proposal is dead:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50936634...-for-new-study
I'm all for fixing the lake up. I think it would be the best $1-2B the state has ever spent.

There will be too many people living around it for it to remain in such ecologically shabby condition.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:31 PM

Provo airport lands one of the big three carriers. American is staring flights to Phoenix and DFW. We'll see if the other airlines can compete with the big boys at PVU

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 4:15 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Provo airport lands one of the big three carriers. American is staring flights to Phoenix and DFW. We'll see if the other airlines can compete with the big boys at PVU
That's really exciting news. I've considered flying to Utah via Provo just to experience the new terminal, but I haven't done it yet.

I remember as a "cub" reporter in college at BYU, interviewing the airport director about the radar they hoped to install someday. He told me it would be an absolute "game changer" for the airport.

He wasn't wrong!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:48 AM
Lahaina Strong

Slow steady progress at Millrace:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West