HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Whenever government subsidizes anything by an average ratio of 85%, politics is involved. Whenever politics is involved, partisanship should be expected. Why is that bad?

Eliminate that 85% subsidy is the easiest way to eliminate partisanship politics over it.
The federal 18.4 cent per gallon gas tax that hasn't been raised in 22 years covers well less than half of the costs of building and maintaining our roads and highways but roads don't seem to be a partisan issue like funding transit is.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Built 100% with private capital
Like those highways and airports.... oh wait.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's really too bad that transit has become such a partisan issue.
It's not really the transit that's the partisan issue. It's urban living itself that rightwingers attack.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Good news? I think so - it should help pay for service improvements and keep the system in a state of good repair between Boston and Washington.

Anyone know what's the subsidy per rider on Amtrak compared to other transit systems.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Good news? I think so - it should help pay for service improvements and keep the system in a state of good repair between Boston and Washington.

Anyone know what's the subsidy per rider on Amtrak compared to other transit systems.
I agree. The House's funding for Amtrak could have certainly been much worse.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:59 PM
Administrator

I was wondering more about the other portion of funding out of the overall $7.2 billion.

Quote:
The bill, approved by a vote of 316 to 101, authorizes $7.2 billion in federal subsidies for passenger rail, including about $1.4 billion a year over four years in subsidies for Amtrak.
Amtrak gets $1.4B a year for 4 years (so $5.6B), leaving about $1.6B for everything else being funded by this bill. That's only $400 million a year over the 4 years being funded...

Anyone know what it was hoped to be?

Also, what do people think of the move to break Amtrak into two divisions, the NE corridor, and everywhere else, and let the NE corridor keep its own operating profits to plow back into capital improvements?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 8:12 PM

From an operating standpoint, I like separating services into self-sustaining or self-contained service types. It makes sense, especially NE corridor vs everywhere else.
As a passenger, I hate separated services and want my trips to be as seamless as possible.

If there was a good way to separate operations and finances but keep an integrated network from a passenger's point of view (ticketing, train changes, etc) then I'd be all for it.

BTW, if Amtrak gets to put the $300 million it makes in profits form the NE corridor back into the NE corridor instead of using it to subsidize other services, what happens to the other services? Does their service or quality go down, or does Amtrak have access to another $300 million?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:47 PM
Administrator

Damn, the local article I had available to me was terrible...

Other articles out there are much more informative.

It's all Amtrak funding... From The Hill...
Quote:
The measure would authorize about $982 million per year for the company's national network and another $470 million annually for its popular Northeast U.S. routes.

The bill, which would expire in 2019, sets another $300 million per year for construction on Amtrak routes in the rest of country and about $24 million per year for the company's inspector general.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:33 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Hatman, is your avatar Louie Gohmert by any chance?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:04 PM

His head is pretty shiny, but he's still got me beat!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 1:30 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The federal 18.4 cent per gallon gas tax that hasn't been raised in 22 years covers well less than half of the costs of building and maintaining our roads and highways but roads don't seem to be a partisan issue like funding transit is.
I believe that is the result that there are roads everywhere, which is not as true for transit.

Additionally, the only roads fully funded by the federal government is on government property, like military bases and national parks. The roads most of us drive on daily are owned, built, and maintained by local governments; city, county, and state; with the federal government pitching in its share on federal designated highways only.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 1:58 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Hatman, is your avatar Louie Gohmert by any chance?
I thought it was Ricky Scott

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation