HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Disagree for the reasons everyone already said. Arch and Market from the 20th to 24th blocks will continue to fill in with commercial AND residential. And retail and restaurant space. Not to mention the blocks to the South, i.e. Chestnut through Walnut. Sunoco is shopping the parcel that holds its gas station at 22nd and Walnut for $25,000,000. And it's not a far walk over the river to the projects that will burgeon on the other side of the Schuylkill. I don't believe that railroad tracks will compromise any of this development.
I disagree. That's like saying Society Hill is happening b/c it borders South Street. True, but by and large Society Hill - and Logan Square - are quiet neighborhoods that lack a commercial corridor of their own.

Is LSNA the same group that demanded Murano not have ground floor retail? And if so why do the other stakeholders (city, developer) acquiesce to such backwards policy in the first place? This is the type of thing that happens when the neighborhood groups have too much power.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:26 PM

LSNA seems a bit unenlightened. If I recall correctly, their demands regarding a townhome project led to the demolition of that beautiful facade (former please touch) behind the Franklin Institute. Anyway, I don't live there. They do. It's a free country if they want "sleepy" in those blocks. The way things are going, they won't have far to go for improved amenities as West Market and JFK eventually fill in.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
LSNA seems a bit unenlightened. If I recall correctly, their demands regarding a townhome project led to the demolition of that beautiful facade (former please touch) behind the Franklin Institute. Anyway, I don't live there. They do. It's a free country if they want "sleepy" in those blocks. The way things are going, they won't have far to go for improved amenities as West Market and JFK eventually fill in.
Not to keep beating a dead horse since it is irrelevant as Riverwalk is moving forward as PMC has planned it, but that's my point. Those blocks are filling in (whether LSNA likes it or not). So are the blocks slightly further South right up to the river. And we will probably see some fill-in on Arch as well. For one thing, Comcast is likely to move forward with another tower where Russell Byers is, and the Avis lot is also for sale. The stretch of Arch leading to this project also doesn't need to be the MOST blistering stretch for restaurant/retail to do well at Riverwalk. It's a stones throw from other restaurant and retail in every direction, and that will only increase. Same as to design. I would have liked something better because this is, in fact, a hot parcel. But the project will be what it will be.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:02 PM
BANNED

zoning permit issued

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
zoning permit issued

I'm sorry but IMHO , it's still a shitty design ....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
I'm sorry but IMHO , it's still a shitty design ....
I didn't design it or pay for it. Just saying it's progressing. Folks' opinion of the design details is neither here nor there at this point. I'd say most modern apt towers are relatively lackluster.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:33 PM
PHL

I think they're sharp. Will do a lot of good for the neighborhood and the Skook Trail.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
by and large Society Hill - and Logan Square - are quiet neighborhoods that lack a commercial corridor of their own.
People say this but as a SH resident, I consider 2nd street along headhouse square to be our commercial corridor and it's a pretty good one.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:56 PM

Small tidbit on this:

Quote:
Townsend said projects in other parts of the city could encounter greater headwinds, but among those with the greatest chance of success is PMC Property Group’s plan for two apartment towers along the Schuylkill’s eastern bank near Arch Street. That location is situated to benefit from development along the Schuylkill’s Center City banks, where projects including Aramark’s new corporate headquarters are rising, and across the river in University City, he said.

PMC executive vice president Jonathan Stavin said in an email this week that the company plans to break ground before the end of this year on the first of the two towers, a 28-story building with 291 units.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171129.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 3:28 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:08 AM

Status.

Apologies for bumping a thread with an inquiry, but is there any news on groundbreaking? 2017 projected start has come and gone.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
Apologies for bumping a thread with an inquiry, but is there any news on groundbreaking? 2017 projected start has come and gone.
no. And no permit last I checked so that would be a major reason why no GB to date.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 12:49 AM

There's been some activity on the site as of late. Including a machine or two.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:29 PM

Foundation permit issued for first building (north lot). Work in progress sign is up. They have been removing concrete from the lot this week.

Construction - Building Permit
Address
60 N 23RD ST
Organization
none
Permit Number
Permit Type
BP_NEWCNST
Description
NEW CONSTRUCTION PERMIT
Detailed Description
STRUCTURAL FOUNDATION AND FOOTINGS CONSTRUCTION AND ASSOCIATED SITE WORK FOR FUTURE MIXED-USE MULTI-FAMILY HIGH-RISE BUILDING PER APPROVED PLANS.
Permit Issue Date
02/07/2018
Status
ACTIVE

Last edited by wondertwinalpha; Feb 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM. Reason: add photos

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:34 AM

^^bababoom!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^bababoom!

Maybe that should read , bodaubing , badaboom ......

Last edited by Gonzo the Great; Feb 11, 2018 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:07 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
Foundation permit issued for first building (north lot). Work in progress sign is up. They have been removing concrete from the lot this week.

Construction - Building Permit
Address
60 N 23RD ST
Organization
none
Permit Number
Permit Type
BP_NEWCNST
Description
NEW CONSTRUCTION PERMIT
Detailed Description
STRUCTURAL FOUNDATION AND FOOTINGS CONSTRUCTION AND ASSOCIATED SITE WORK FOR FUTURE MIXED-USE MULTI-FAMILY HIGH-RISE BUILDING PER APPROVED PLANS.
Permit Issue Date
02/07/2018
Status
ACTIVE
What a fantastic update! We’ve been waiting for this project for a long time. I’m very happy to see it kick off and look forward to its completion!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 6:51 PM

Nice. Even if it's not very tall, it'll be nice to get some new skyscrapers in that area. PECO is kind of by itself over there.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:50 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Lining up the river with mid-rise and high-rise is a good thing. A lot of the world's major cities do this, and so should we. Let's hope we have the jobs and people to support more of these builds. Also, personally, I like to use a tall building as a reference point when I'm in different part of the city/neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Lining up the river with mid-rise and high-rise is a good thing. A lot of the world's major cities do this, and so should we. Let's hope we have the jobs and people to support more of these builds. Also, personally, I like to use a tall building as a reference point when I'm in different part of the city/neighborhood.
While it would be awesome to have a wall there, I'm not holding my breath. One side is a trail, the other an interstate. Maybe witht he 30th Street plans we get something similar to this in 30-50 years, but I'm not sure there's much space left to develop on the east side. There's a much better shot at this happening with the Delaware especially since it's been rezoned in an attempt to push this idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive